Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Foul Fowl posted:

I just beat it (true ending) at around 22-23 hours

This is a bit disappointing to hear, honestly. Is like the entire main quest of the game you doing the jobs for the guy in the capital? I've been playing for ~12 hours and it's hard to tell if I'm barely through the intro or halfway (or more) through the entire game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mystic Spearhand started out rough because I didnt understand how its defenses worked, but now Im tanking entire groups with an invicible shield and locking down big monsters into perpetuity. This class is crazy good

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Communist Thoughts posted:

agreed but elden ring is the greatest game yet made so its not really a fair comparison

i do hope there are more monsters though as I get a bit further in

My pawns and I taking down a chimera during a grueling twenty minute fight while underleveled with several desperate, down to the wire revives, some clutch freezes from the mage, my warrior catching me after I got blasted 50 feet into the air, the archer barraging the snake head to drop my rear end, my bomb placed at the chimera legs knocking it down, the warrior doing a perfect follow up and bashing it so it toppled over completely, all leading to a chimera corpse after I desperately hacked the snake head off with two pawns down and my mage's perfectly time heal being the only thing that saved us, an inventory depleted of items because I had to use everything at my disposal, that one fight was more exciting, dynamic, and satisfying than anything I did in Elden Ring, coop or otherwise.

Elden Ring is a great game, but like someone else said, it feels like "DS but open world" pretty much exactly. The interactions with pawns, how incredibly dynamic and emergent the combat feels in this game, for me personally, is far more engaging than ED's combat and world design. The dungeons in ED are def better, but then you get to the end of it and have a corny repeating fight with an enemy that doesn't feel interesting to fight anymore.

I could fight chimeras in this over and over. In ED? There's maybe a handful of enemies I found consistently fun to re-engage.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

explosivo posted:

This is a bit disappointing to hear, honestly. Is like the entire main quest of the game you doing the jobs for the guy in the capital? I've been playing for ~12 hours and it's hard to tell if I'm barely through the intro or halfway (or more) through the entire game at this point.

nah if you're still in the capital and you haven't been to another big city there's a long way to go. but it's pretty easy to blitz if you set up your portstone and use your ferry stones and etc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I feel like the people clearing the game in ~20ish hours are more or less beelining the main storyline, I'm over 30 hours in and haven't even gotten to the second major area yet.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If you explore everything the game takes an eternity. I p much played for 15 hours before actually following that dude to the next city, and there was still stuff I hadn't completely scoured in the starting area.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hooooweeeeee, first drake down! Walked into the 'Ancient Battlefield' and popped an Ogre that was fighting the drake with a ballista. I hit the drake a few times but it was glitched out in the wall so I moved in. Took about 20 minutes, and got close near the end, but finally got him. Holy poo poo does the Mystic Spearhand shield just save the day every 3 seconds. It's fun, but you kind of just build your entire fighting style around "hit this button every 5 seconds" when you're in the poo poo. It's definitely more fun than failing to block as a fighter, but I feel like it might get a bit stale.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yeah DD1 wasn't that long if you really wanted to end it, i do hope there's a BBI stand in that's even more rogue-ish. BBI was always my favorite part of clearing the game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My pawns and I taking down a chimera during a grueling twenty minute fight while underleveled with several desperate, down to the wire revives, some clutch freezes from the mage, my warrior catching me after I got blasted 50 feet into the air, the archer barraging the snake head to drop my rear end, my bomb placed at the chimera legs knocking it down, the warrior doing a perfect follow up and bashing it so it toppled over completely, all leading to a chimera corpse after I desperately hacked the snake head off with two pawns down and my mage's perfectly time heal being the only thing that saved us, an inventory depleted of items because I had to use everything at my disposal, that one fight was more exciting, dynamic, and satisfying than anything I did in Elden Ring, coop or otherwise.

Elden Ring is a great game, but like someone else said, it feels like "DS but open world" pretty much exactly. The interactions with pawns, how incredibly dynamic and emergent the combat feels in this game, for me personally, is far more engaging than ED's combat and world design. The dungeons in ED are def better, but then you get to the end of it and have a corny repeating fight with an enemy that doesn't feel interesting to fight anymore.

I could fight chimeras in this over and over. In ED? There's maybe a handful of enemies I found consistently fun to re-engage.

fights are definitely more memorable because action-y moments happen where you remember it a bit more than dodge rolling through an attack and hitting a basic R1 or whatever, stuff like climbing on a medusa and impaling a giant sword through its head are more common. being able to do stuff like unbalance a cyclops and push it over with some pawn help are pretty neat touches. i've got my gripes about the game tho but i feel they've been stated and in general dont stop me from enjoying the majority of it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It took me 15 hours to even reach vernworth because there’s a lot to poke through on the path there and off to the east of it. I had to finally bite the bullet and stop looking at every single path just so I could actually reach the inn and cash in my vocation rank 3->7 rewards

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DD1 was so "short" (main-quest wise) that they eventually added a separate speed-run game mode and people managed to knock it down to like 12 minutes. Main quest completion is not a good marker for how much there is to do in this game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Babe Magnet posted:

DD1 was so "short" (main-quest wise) that they eventually added a separate speed-run game mode and people managed to knock it down to like 12 minutes. Main quest completion is not a good marker for how much there is to do in this game.
To be fair, the Speedrun Mode lets you keep all of your skills, items, placed portcrystals etc. Those short times are due to hours of careful preparation so you can just zip between story beats as fast as possible.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Hooooweeeeee, first drake down! Walked into the 'Ancient Battlefield' and popped an Ogre that was fighting the drake with a ballista. I hit the drake a few times but it was glitched out in the wall so I moved in. Took about 20 minutes, and got close near the end, but finally got him. Holy poo poo does the Mystic Spearhand shield just save the day every 3 seconds. It's fun, but you kind of just build your entire fighting style around "hit this button every 5 seconds" when you're in the poo poo. It's definitely more fun than failing to block as a fighter, but I feel like it might get a bit stale.

Yeah, mystic spearhand's shield is very strong but I felt like I had to keep spamming it because it doesn't come with any other kind of dodge/block button. I also felt like the other skills I was using were great for speeding around or killing small-fry but not the big guys, but I also didn't try out the "mega charge blast" type skills. I think someone in this thread mentioned that there's a mage(?) augment that makes effects like that last longer so you can keep the shield up longer, but I'm not playing any caster classes for that so...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Babe Magnet posted:

Main quests being easy to beat fast in open world games has been a thing since like Wasteland lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you people get RC? People aren't summoning my guy too much and I'd sure like to buy the thing that lets me doa a makeover.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Main quests being easy to beat fast in open world games has been a thing since like Wasteland lol.

yeah

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Which OG Fallout players have not rushed to the gas station and Navarro to get EZ-PZ power armor in fifteen minutes?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

where my limeware platter brothers at

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Babe Magnet posted:

where my limeware platter brothers at

Only stopping for just long enough to tell Fargoth I hate him before levitating eight miles to kill a false God.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is there any reason to care about strength on a mage's staff? My pawn has one from the border checkpoint and it has 400+ for both strength and magic, but want to get one of the elemental ones from the Elves but they only have 100 some odd strength and 400+ magick.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Clocks posted:

Yeah, mystic spearhand's shield is very strong but I felt like I had to keep spamming it because it doesn't come with any other kind of dodge/block button. I also felt like the other skills I was using were great for speeding around or killing small-fry but not the big guys, but I also didn't try out the "mega charge blast" type skills. I think someone in this thread mentioned that there's a mage(?) augment that makes effects like that last longer so you can keep the shield up longer, but I'm not playing any caster classes for that so...

I think it’s an augment that makes boons last longer. I’m not really hip on playing a mage for 10 hours just to get that boon, but if I’m gonna main MSH it’ll probably be worth it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Only stopping for just long enough to tell Fargoth I hate him before levitating eight miles to kill a false God.

gotta go grab my scrolls of Jump Real Good from Tarhiel, RIP king

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

jokes posted:

How do you people get RC? People aren't summoning my guy too much and I'd sure like to buy the thing that lets me doa a makeover.

Give your pawn a quest that encourages people to use them, even for just a little while. Like rewarding a lot of gold for a relatively easy thing like killing one ogre.

If you're still hard up, sometimes the ghosts near the elf town at night drop rift crystals as lootable items.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Did you put your pawn on the goon list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CPUxGkeK6FHGsSe1igMFOsSc-81RxfUxVHRDqr-KyE4/edit#gid=0) so other people can borrow them?

Other than that, it's kind of a crapshoot. I've been trying to tempt people with pawn quests with limited success, but maybe I should just put something even easier to grab than flowers for stupid rewards?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh cool, there's a path that bypasses the western gate into Batthali completely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Control Volume posted:

Mystic Spearhand started out rough because I didnt understand how its defenses worked, but now Im tanking entire groups with an invicible shield and locking down big monsters into perpetuity. This class is crazy good

It's cool because you can also go a completely different route and be like "now I'm here! Now I'm over there! Try to hit me? Too slow! Gosh...getting tired....lacking vim...just kidding sucker! I just stole all your Stamina and I'm back, baby!"

Broken Cog posted:

Oh cool, there's a path that bypasses the western gate into Batthali completely.

A pawn I hired showed me this. He's like "sir I can help with this quest! hit me up!" Little did I know he was gonna walk me from capital to capital...the hard way!!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

And a path through some caves that bypasses it to the east as well. you don't get the achievement for entering illegally by using either, though, I think

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't know if it's scripted or not but my attempt at the early quest to ride an oxcart back to Melve with a letter was interrupted by an ogre, then a Minotaur who managed to trample the oxcart into pieces. The ox ran away, so I figured the quest was failed but.... it didn't? So we trekked the rest of the way on foot and were thanked profusely for seeing everyone to the destination safe and sound with nary a scratch on the cart. Fission Mailed.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Babe Magnet posted:

this quest rules because it's like less than 1 minute long if you don't have to spend a lot of time looking for him, but there's still like 4 ways to complete it and you get different rewards.

What are all the ways of doing it? I cornered the guy in an alley and grabbed him, which initiated a dialogue where he was like, "It's a fair cop, you'll just let me go now right?" with me getting options to "Demand compensation," and "Refuse."

I picked Refuse which initiated combat where he died, but the quest is still in my log and I got the "You can resurrect NPCs with wakestones," tutorial popup when he died.

I'm not loving spending a wakestone on him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing that update is just giving you an ability to replace your current character with a new one? Is it possible that you might be able to sorta have multiple characters by copying the save file or something? Like replacing the save file while cloud saves are off and then turning them back on?

I do think it's a shame that you can't have multiple characters in this, because playing a vocation in the early game seems a lot different from playing it later on. Like, when I end up trying out Thief I'll instantly having all this good gear I've found for it, so it won't be the same as doing the early game with it.

edit: Is there any way to lose camping gear? If monsters crash a camp, does it destroy the gear? Basically I'm wondering if I can safely sell my extra camping gear, now that I have an Elite set (two actually).

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah one of the nice things about DD is that there are other people on the roads besides you. Even if there's goblins/wolves/harpies every 5 feet, people are still out there wandering around and there's a sense that people actually live in this world rather than it being a massive combat arena. I feel like the issue of repetition comes down more to frequency of encounters rather than variety - the first game had this problem too and it's kind of a shame they didn't address it in 2, but it would probably take way longer to get sick of goblins and such if they spaced them out a bit more so you weren't constantly getting attacked on the road. Being able to just chill and go for a walk would probably help with the vibes a lot. I feel like the large monster encounters remain interesting despite also not having a ton of variety because they are uncommon enough to not get repetitive, but still common enough that you will find plenty of fights if you want to. Like even though I've fought dozens of cyclops at this point, I still go "oh cool a cyclops" and go out of my way to fight it when I spot one.

I don't mind the goblins much mainly because they die so quickly that they're basically just an excuse to ragdoll some guys and get a quick infusion of cash/items.

Owl Inspector posted:

It took me 15 hours to even reach vernworth because there’s a lot to poke through on the path there and off to the east of it. I had to finally bite the bullet and stop looking at every single path just so I could actually reach the inn and cash in my vocation rank 3->7 rewards

The approach I've started taking is to just use main quests as an excuse to go to places. Like I haven't explored most of the area east of Vernworth since I have main quest stuff there (which I'll use as an excuse to start exploring that whole region).

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't know if it's scripted or not but my attempt at the early quest to ride an oxcart back to Melve with a letter was interrupted by an ogre, then a Minotaur who managed to trample the oxcart into pieces. The ox ran away, so I figured the quest was failed but.... it didn't? So we trekked the rest of the way on foot and were thanked profusely for seeing everyone to the destination safe and sound with nary a scratch on the cart. Fission Mailed.

Huh, guess the Gryphon attack isn't guaranteed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In my playthroughs of DD1 I never had trouble getting my pawn hired and I never tried to game it, I usually just made Big Dude Who Carries Stuff and gave him whatever was useful to me personally. Haven’t been so successful here, I’ve done the same thing but only had 2 hires that were apparently extremely brief because I got less than 100 RC from each. without evidence I blame the influencer pawns.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

Did you put your pawn on the goon list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CPUxGkeK6FHGsSe1igMFOsSc-81RxfUxVHRDqr-KyE4/edit#gid=0) so other people can borrow them?

Other than that, it's kind of a crapshoot. I've been trying to tempt people with pawn quests with limited success, but maybe I should just put something even easier to grab than flowers for stupid rewards?

I think if you request a gifted item and offer a big reward, there's a good chance people might hire your pawn only long enough to gift the item. Good if you want lots of that item, but not if you want rift crystals.

A monster hunt mission means they'll at least be hanging out with the other player for 10-30 minutes, or longer if they're doing a good job (or the other player is too lazy to constantly swap pawns, like me).

And of course the usual suggestions of "this pawn actually has all their abilities set and reasonable gear for their level".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Communist Thoughts posted:

i like the game but theres a decent amount to bitch about and its worth having those posts alongside the "i love this jank" posts too imo

playing games just to bitch about them is a time honoured SA tradition

Sure, it just doesn't sound like they are enjoying it at all and it sucks that some people feel compelled to keep playing poo poo they clearly aren't into. There are too many games out there man, play the stuff you love!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

my pawn is also not getting hired very often, but she's a healer support mage which I'm betting is also a pretty high number of the pawns that people made for themselves to begin with, so people aren't looking for a second. Might try respecing her into a frontline tank or something.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Owl Inspector posted:

In my playthroughs of DD1 I never had trouble getting my pawn hired and I never tried to game it, I usually just made Big Dude Who Carries Stuff and gave him whatever was useful to me personally. Haven’t been so successful here, I’ve done the same thing but only had 2 hires that were apparently extremely brief because I got less than 100 RC from each. without evidence I blame the influencer pawns.

Yeah it's weird, my pawn in DD1 was grotesque but he got RC constantly. I'm lucky if I get poo poo in this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shyrka posted:

What are all the ways of doing it? I cornered the guy in an alley and grabbed him, which initiated a dialogue where he was like, "It's a fair cop, you'll just let me go now right?" with me getting options to "Demand compensation," and "Refuse."

I picked Refuse which initiated combat where he died, but the quest is still in my log and I got the "You can resurrect NPCs with wakestones," tutorial popup when he died.

You've got most of it. I took the bribe, I wanted to see what happens later if anything lol

if you resurrect him you can take him to Brant to get interrogated, where you'll receive a Real Border Pass instead of one that only works for Beastren

VVV and that one, yeah VVV

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Shyrka posted:

I did the same thing but I just picked him up during the fight since I didn't wanna kill him and the guards showed up and apprehended him

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think the real culprit is "Must have quest knowledge" checked by default, so if you're playing slower your pawn is higher level and costs people RC, and he straight up doesn't show up for people higher level who are farther ahead because he doesn't know anything about that stage of the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah there's nothing specifically scripted for that quest, it's just that oxcart rides get interrupted by monster attacks a lot.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
If anyone wants to trade a Logistician book for a Forager book, add LeatherJacketAttitude on Steam and we'll do it and you'll be my friend online and irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah there's nothing specifically scripted for that quest, it's just that oxcart rides get interrupted by monster attacks a lot.

love dozing off to wake up to an cyclops club smashing the wagon to bits

Sloober fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 25, 2024