Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There is a mod called Search and Destroy that is very good, can't vouch for whether it works in 1.5 yet
e: sadly it looks like not, although it sounds like the author is going to update it

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Anomaly preview 1 is up, spoiler warnings for some of the mystery content:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/4160834030793913385

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

silentsnack posted:

explicit Calm Randy Season vs Dramatic Randy Season would be one way to do it

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A thing I personally find useful is setting pawns to aggressive, or at least ignore threats. The flee setting seems useful on the surface but pawns don't do so in any sort of intelligent manner, they just run around in a panic even if it means running farther away from safety or cover; it's the same sort of panic behavior that makes being set on fire is so dangerous. And if they're being chased by something faster than them all that happens is they get their ankles chewed off and become dinner. Much better to have them fire off some potshots or get a few stabs in when they're ambushed before you can take manual drafted control.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

There is a mod called Search and Destroy that is very good, can't vouch for whether it works in 1.5 yet
e: sadly it looks like not, although it sounds like the author is going to update it

I get a ton of use out of Search and Destroy, but in my experience, enabling it for a pawn keeps them from attacking turrets automatically, which they would do if drafted with no other orders and Search and Destroy disabled.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

isndl posted:

Had we previously had the release date? I'd missed it if so - 3 weeks time (weekend of 13/14th)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
mmm, mystery meat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh yeah you know there are gonna be some funky cooking recipes with that poo poo

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Yuiiut posted:

Had we previously had the release date? I'd missed it if so - 3 weeks time (weekend of 13/14th)

The previous announcement was a non-specific next month, so this is the closest we've got so far.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Flesh Forge posted:

oh yeah you know there are gonna be some funky cooking recipes with that poo poo

yeah that's the first thing i thought of: 500,000 tons of meat. Everyone's gonna end up with 20 cooking just from running butcher spots and exporting drop pods of fine tumor meals 24/7.

Even if that doesn't work you can maybe get it into kibble or some other raw nutrient stream. This would probably backfire because it'd end up unstably ramping &/or instead of giving you food poisoning give you hypercancer.

e: oh god you might could make an insane nightmare society that feeds the earth-cancer and eats from it

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 24, 2024

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Most people watch Gordon Ramsay or whatever for cooking inspiration but me no I watch John Carpenter's the thing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

e: oh god you might could make an insane nightmare society that feeds the earth-cancer and eats from it

There has to be an ideology that worships the earthcancer and throws captives into the Pit, right?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
honestly? too gross and if i couldn't blow up the creature i would run. gently caress that. just to harp on it once again imo commissioning artists to draw a character for each dlc and not bothering to create a storyteller for each portrait is a huge missed opportunity :colbert:

you have the standard set of starting conditions, and having each of these storytellers weigh events towards showcasing new features and things would be neat. the rich adventurer + getting a guaranteed early enough anom instead of being driven towards the ship is going to end up being a crazy scifi slasher type movie or something. Or you are the character trying to activate the emergency transmission and hope you live long enough to get saved by someone else. Instead of landing you're the last survivor of an already established colony.

Having interconnections back to other dlc is important too. If you are in good with the empire maybe you should be able to have them shoot a purification beam at it or something? Just entirely deal with it for you, done & done.

lol but I did have a weird flashback to this 20 year old soundtrack i had from some demo disk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWKTJtrC2LU
true strongbad techno school of music composition. really have not thought of that game in years, there's probably so many actual good games that are tears in the rain now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am wondering how these long remote combat encounters are going to work. The game isn't super well equipped for big combat encounters out of your base. Seems likely people are gonna get injured and infected a lot.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Whole team returns with Gout

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

isndl posted:

An interesting thing to note is that it seems that with Anomaly there will be a vanilla framework for smaller, dungeon-like areas you can enter from bigger "outside" map through a structure. Modders should be able to do interesting things with that.(I am aware that there are a few mods that managed to do something like similar, but it being a vanilla feature should make a big difference.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

There has to be an ideology that worships the earthcancer and throws captives into the Pit, right?

God please

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I am wondering how these long remote combat encounters are going to work. The game isn't super well equipped for big combat encounters out of your base. Seems likely people are gonna get injured and infected a lot.

Set up transport pods at the outside entrance and medevac them. Or I guess set up an aid station with medical beds, vitals monitors, shelves of medicine, and sterile tiles if it's on your home map.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

OwlFancier posted:

As a Rimworld Logistics Expert I cant wait until the vehicle mods are updated lol, I need to get back to my grand campaigns halfway across the globe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Set up transport pods at the outside entrance and medevac them. Or I guess set up an aid station with medical beds, vitals monitors, shelves of medicine, and sterile tiles if it's on your home map.

I mean yeah there are ways around with with late game resources and equipment but that's not great for making things you can engage with throughout a playthrough.

Also not quite sure how this "fill your base with flesh" event is going to work, that sounds even more annoying than insects.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

honestly that sounds like it gives you some incentive and need to field things like neanderthal or hussar fighters.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I mean yeah there are ways around with with late game resources and equipment but that's not great for making things you can engage with throughout a playthrough.

Also not quite sure how this "fill your base with flesh" event is going to work, that sounds even more annoying than insects.

I think that's the idea, if the heart appears in your base then it sounds like an insectoid infestation that starts out a bit less dangerous and you need to complete a research project in order to end it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It did just kinda hit me that you're gonna be traveling to handle some of these events. I hope they added stuff to make travel not utter garbage, otherwise I may as well ignore all this stuff until SRTS updates

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Don't be a coward, caravan your entire colony over to the dungeons and set up shop outside while your fightmen slowly chip away at it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

isndl posted:

Looking at the screenshots, it seems that the flesh mass can breach doors and wood walls, but not stone walls. This thing seems pretty containable even fairly early in the game if you're on the ball.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Complications posted:

Looking at the screenshots, it seems that the flesh mass can breach doors and wood walls, but not stone walls. This thing seems pretty containable even fairly early in the game if you're on the ball.

There's some mention of it growing through the ground as well, so I'd guess dirt floors and probably wood floors too can be breached from beneath but probably not tile

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I would laugh so hard if it just followed Terraria corruption mechanics.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Complications posted:

Sustainably-farmed fleshmass being harvested and converted to chemfuel…

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

The Lone Badger posted:

Sustainably-farmed fleshmass being harvested and converted to chemfuel…

we're rapidly approaching a Mystery Flesh Pit scenario

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rimworld: Arbys

CheaperThanTwitter
Jul 3, 2023
Ribworld.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

silentsnack posted:

Rimworld: Arbys

Rimworld: We have the fleshmeats

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Rimworld: Nurgle's Funhouse

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Rimworld: McNurgle's

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The first preview had me like zero percent excited. I'm not very enthused about lovecraftian dungeons in Rimworld, and I very much don't want some fleshmonster consuming the walls of my colony.

I'm sure one can disable them, which I will do just as I always disable insects when playing mountain bases.

I will most likely still buy the DLC, there will probably be stuff in here that I like, and I want to support Tynan regardless.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Yeah I agree, so far this one is really missing for me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My only problem with military-focused things is that sending soldiers to do things is very dangerous and unwieldy. Unless there's a really good overhaul, I'm just straight up not going to send all my strongest dudes over to some piece of poo poo outpost so they can get an infection from fighting flesh monsters for dubious archaeotech shards when, instead, I can simply have them working in the corn mines 24/7 so I can shoot corn bombs at my enemies.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I hope that fleshwall texture is a WIP because it, uh, doesn't look good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VideoWitch posted:

I hope that fleshwall texture is a WIP because it, uh, doesn't look good

some modders will take it and turn it into something way worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jokes posted:

My only problem with military-focused things is that sending soldiers to do things is very dangerous and unwieldy. Unless there's a really good overhaul, I'm just straight up not going to send all my strongest dudes over to some piece of poo poo outpost so they can get an infection from fighting flesh monsters for dubious archaeotech shards when, instead, I can simply have them working in the corn mines 24/7 so I can shoot corn bombs at my enemies.

If the rewards are good I can see it being a goal I would work towards, but yeah I agree that it's going to take a lot to make me voluntarily risk caravanning over to a place.