Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Open windows are lockdown.

They cause drafts which are the leading cause of illness for Eastern Europeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Precambrian Video Games posted:

They cause drafts which are the leading cause of illness for Eastern Europeans.

D&D probes for that one.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

the aggressive "it was wrong to close schools for even a moment" consensus pushing is really something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lmao the absolute state of scientific literacy

quote:

Scientists on Reddit - “Huh, interesting study. I wonder if there is a body of work that backs it up”

Lay people on Reddit - “This study validates/invalidates my current beliefs so it must right/wrong”

I got into a brief argument with someone a few years back that went like this;

“This paper shows this”

“This meta analysis shows otherwise”

“So we have one study for and one against then. So equal evidence”

“You don’t know what a meta analysis is do you?You have one study and I have thirty five different studies.”

Respondent knows what’s up though.

quote:

It's so hard trying to explain to someone who has no background in science that there are bad publications. I dont know anything about that journal but even if we pretend that it is excellent and does a great job with peer review, poo poo will still get through. They don't get that scientists often look at results and say "Well that doesn't sound right, let's see if anyone else finds something similar" all of the time.

The meta analysis stuff pisses me off too because most redditors only halfway understand what it is. It is analysis of a large amount of publications, but which ones are included are based on what the author chooses. It's a useful technique to look at trends in a field but a biased author can make it say whatever the hell they want.

Context was a Finnish study on “woke” attitudes and mental illness

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

lmao the absolute state of scientific literacy

Respondent knows what’s up though.

Context was a Finnish study on “woke” attitudes and mental illness

There should be a government agency that hires experts to create policy recommendations and bring digestible information to people instead of requiring my grandma to know which meta analysis of studies is the right one.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah imagine if we had a government that was capable and willing to use its power to improve the lives of its citizens.

Oh well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Salt Fish posted:

There should be a government agency that hires experts to create policy recommendations and bring digestible information to people instead of requiring my grandma to know which meta analysis of studies is the right one.

Let’s tell your grandma that we’re doing this, but actually engage in policy‐based evidence‐making whenever an airline wants us to.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Public health has shifted from increasingly trending towards doom to vibes and coughing

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Everybody has covid, a cold/flu/strep during covid downtime, PASC, or all of the above

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Anyways, I still mask and haven't gotten covid because I only trust my respirator. People being sick is like clockwork.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Mild

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Ham Cheeks posted:

Anyways, I still mask and haven't gotten covid because I only trust my respirator. People being sick is like clockwork.

:tipshat:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ham Cheeks posted:

can't toop if ur lungs is poop

can't trunlg if you're fulla crunge

if ur in heart failure, u can't remember sailor

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gunshow Poophole posted:

if ur in heart failure, u can't remember sailor

many people are saying this

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hashy posted:

I gave up on covid precautions and I have been mysteriously sick in one mildly debilitating way or another ever since. Keep up the good work thread

I got in a fight with my wife about her sister visiting this weekend due to disagreement about testing protocol and how to tell the sister about it

This has all been made moot because she was at a business retreat and got so sick she's complaining on the group chat about how all her plans are ruined

Life comes at you fast

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Richard Lewis's character in Curb Your Enthusiasm has long COVID. It's played as a joke obviously (can't smell, doesn't notice the cheese that was left in his car) but it's the first representation of long COVID I think I've seen in popular media.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Ham Cheeks posted:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/feelingsstores/status/1771979167032058367?s=46

amazing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Richard Lewis's character in Curb Your Enthusiasm has long COVID. It's played as a joke obviously (can't smell, doesn't notice the cheese that was left in his car) but it's the first representation of long COVID I think I've seen in popular media.

yeah I was pretty surprised. they did a covid episode too in 2021 about stockpiling. I can't remember any other show doing it.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
how to with john wilson did it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
The entire second Morning Show ("The Show About Matt Lauer") season was about it

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

A whole bunch of lovely reality shows had covid seasons, naturally. The funny part is that you'll still have scenes where somebody dramatically storms out of a restaurant and the camera swings around to catch some masked up boom operator or whatever

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm probably the only goon who watched it, but most of season 11 of Shameless had a lot of covid stuff - masks and someone dying of it at the end. I won't spoil it but they have a summary here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shameless_(season_11)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I watched that season. Greys Anatomy had its main character get covid and almost die a few times too.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Greys anatomy except it is about the people who did the alien autopsy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I also recall a bunch of reality TV shows where sometimes a contestant or even a host or judge would disappear for a week because "they were feeling under the weather" which was never expanded upon

Also someone might occasionally mention having to live in a bubble because of the show and missing their family

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I also recall a bunch of reality TV shows where sometimes a contestant or even a host or judge would disappear for a week because "they were feeling under the weather" which was never expanded upon

Also someone might occasionally mention having to live in a bubble because of the show and missing their family

The bachelor got covid and they had to do a rose ceremony on Zoom. This was just last year.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Oh I know of shows that covered COVID (Superstore's last season was great), but this is the first time I've seen representation of long COVID in media. Unless anyone knows some other show?

All the handwashing and "press elevator buttons with your knuckles" articles were really funny to me, a person who has been living like that for decades.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

feeling in danger as the students are all back on the bus I use to commute. Not sure where they were as it's not spring break yet, maybe finals...

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
A few reality tv COVID moments off the top of my head:

1000 lb sisters - Tammy got COVID. Everyone wears masks on and off with no apparent logic whatsoever.
The Bachelorette - One of the contestants got COVID and got bounced from the show for it. No one seemed to realize that it meant they were all exposed. Bonus - the whole season was filmed on a cruise ship.
Sister Wives - A whole lot of COVID content too complicated to get into here.
MAFS Australia (current season) - 4 people on the show "got sick with something" and one of them left the show suddenly with a blood clot

Plus the endless coughing in general. My wife and I both physically recoil every time, she says the coughing is our song.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Oldest Man posted:

The bachelor got covid and they had to do a rose ceremony on Zoom. This was just last year.

Oh poo poo that's hilarious :v:

I only watch UK reality TV shows where everyone is lovely and supportive and they all cry when someone is eliminated

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There was a week or two of The Great British Baking Show where 1-2 people would be out because they were "under the weather." Never saw that happen before.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

but this is the first time I've seen representation of long COVID in media. Unless anyone knows some other show?

oh yeah, I take your meaning now.

dunno about Long Covid, granted I don't watch a lot of TV but, no I haven't seen anything like that.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
A nice little slice of COVID erasure from the Philadelphia Inquirer:

https://eedition.inquirer.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=73bce314-9e37-4629-8d9e-98277eecaaf3&share=true

Two quick highlights:

quote:

Ah-choooo!

The pollen-allergy trilogy has begun with the trees, whose pollen will peak in April and May, and then be joined by the grasses and ragweeds. The traffic is heaviest when it’s warm and dry, with breezes on which the pollen can commute to the nostrils of the victims, setting off bursts of sneezing. Hope for rain, says University of Tulsa pollen expert Estelle Levitin, as pollen can’t fly when it’s wet.

Experts’ advice: On heavy pollen days, the allergic should stay indoors if possible and keep the windows closed. If spending time outdoors, take a shower afterward and change clothes.

The Allergic should Just Stay Home!

quote:

Colds

“Common colds” earn their names: Just about everyone gets them. They come in maybe 200 varieties, and there is no cure, except time.

Experts’ advice: Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching the face. If you get a cold, rest, hydrate. Sip warm liquids; they can soothe a sore throat.

Winter

Cold facts

As with the heat, we have remarkable natural mechanisms to deal with the cold, including shivering, our body’s effort to warm itself. Exercising in the cold can be invigorating, but over-exposure can lead to frostbite and hypothermia. Doctors also warn that cold can constrict blood vessels, endangering those with heart conditions.

lmao

You'll never guess what isn't mentioned once!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
'Stay home if you have allergies' is pretty loving funny. And don't feel bad about offloading some more chores and errands to your live-in nanny either. Taking it easy when you don't feel so well is a form of self-care!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Sister Wives - A whole lot of COVID content too complicated to get into here.

I'll give a high-level summary since I love this subject!

The polygamist husband used COVID to detonate his relationships with his first three wives, who he was no longer attracted to. He basically made it impossible for him to spend meaningful time with anyone but one family. This was done under the guise of "taking precautions about COVID," only he wasn't consistent in his application of the rules, and made the rules so absurd and impossible that even I thought it was too much. I was conflicted watching it, because it was nice to see someone give a poo poo about COVID, but I really strongly suspect it was just the husband leveraging the pandemic as an exit strategy from three marriages. It's excellent TV for expert reality-watchers who can sense when to skip through filler

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

'Stay home if you have allergies' is pretty loving funny. And don't feel bad about offloading some more chores and errands to your live-in nanny either. Taking it easy when you don't feel so well is a form of self-care!

the subtext of so many Long Covid Life Hack articles is basically trafficking an undocumented domestic laborer from bangladesh or whatever, i hate it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not reality tv but there was that time in 2020 when The Bold and the Beautiful had actors kissing mannequins because of Covid filming precautions

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'll give a high-level summary since I love this subject!

The polygamist husband used COVID to detonate his relationships with his first three wives, who he was no longer attracted to. He basically made it impossible for him to spend meaningful time with anyone but one family. This was done under the guise of "taking precautions about COVID," only he wasn't consistent in his application of the rules, and made the rules so absurd and impossible that even I thought it was too much. I was conflicted watching it, because it was nice to see someone give a poo poo about COVID, but I really strongly suspect it was just the husband leveraging the pandemic as an exit strategy from three marriages. It's excellent TV for expert reality-watchers who can sense when to skip through filler

That was a pretty interesting case for a lot of reasons. Dude had everybody doing dumb poo poo like freezing their credit cards after use, wiping mail, just a whole bunch of weird 2020 nonsense. Among many other things, it's an interesting document about how much bad information was going around, and how that contributed to people saying "gently caress it" very very quickly and opting for the opposite of caution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2024/03/25/robert-morris-university-seniors-high-school-prom-post-pandemic/stories/202403240110

RMU seniors will finally get their high school prom experience, 4 years after the pandemic

This is a cute thing for the college to do but holy gently caress this line:

quote:

RMU Prom feels like “the first reparation that any school has tried to make for COVID” to senior Addy Hildebrand.

reparations for years of evil life-destroying lockdowns