Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

That is not the case, unless they were referencing one specific section or something. Thousands built, used in WW2 all over, and then used in Korea as well.

Some definitely were swamped or capsized around Normandy, but not “all but one” or something.

nope all but one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

hmhb fan posted:

Think it was more support networks. There were a lot of Ukrainians (per capita) in Ireland before Russia invaded so people were offered visa-free entry and a welfare payment and had friends and family already there to stay. Other countries were not so welcoming.
Just looked it up, there were half as many Ukrainians in Ireland as France in 2022 (likely a higher percentage in Ireland but that's another issue) despite having less than a tenth of the population. So it made more sense for a lot of people to come here I guess.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

That is not the case, unless they were referencing one specific section or something. Thousands built, used in WW2 all over, and then used in Korea as well.

Some definitely were swamped or capsized around Normandy, but not “all but one” or something.

Theyre probably referring to the amphibious tanks on D-Day at Omaha and Utah beach, where almost all of them sunk because they were deployed too far out

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Yeah, both the DUKWs and DDs worked well off Gold, Sword and Juno. Their floundering off the American beaches was not a limitation of the vehicles.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Marenghi posted:

Why the gently caress are so many going to Ireland then? It's further than France.

Existing English skills. At least that was the reason i heard of those who went to Ireland

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol you suggest a piece of military hardware might not be up to snuff and look what two knuckleheads come out of the woodwork to say User Error

(this came from a news article so im not surprised its not accurate)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

:lol: at "duck boats are required by law to carry life vests, but passengers don't have to wear them"

:patriot:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mlmp08 posted:

they might be thinking of the Sherman DDs assigned to Omaha

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Americans also bitched about the Ford GPA amphibious jeeps that the Soviets absolutely loved and made great use of.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lLgLcv1Mo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Waves on western beaches: a bad experience. Also some just lost outright to their LCT hitting a mine.

But success swimming in or just dropping directly on the shallows elsewhere. ~25% losses off the top to a mix of mines, enemy fire swimming in, or just waves and water.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

bedpan posted:

I'm sure there is nothing sinister going on regarding Lithuania and its minority russian population

Is Lithuania the one that instituted mandatory language testing to punish the like 1/3rd of the country that speaks Russian. Can't tell these Baltic freaks apart

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DaysBefore posted:

Is Lithuania the one that instituted mandatory language testing to punish the like 1/3rd of the country that speaks Russian. Can't tell these Baltic freaks apart

Pretty sure that was Latvia. They were going to kick out seniors that had lived in Latvia since childhood if they couldn't demonstrate fluency in Latvian. Have to get rid of those potentially subversive elements in society

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lithuania has by far the fewest number of russian inhabitants, its like less than 10 percent. very different than lativa and estonia which are both more than 20 percent.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I don't know why they're loving with the thing that there are papers going back to 1995 saying makes the Baltics a liability for ever joining NATO.

It wasn't enough to see Ukraine get stomped? They need to spark something up there too?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jesus lol the overall population of lithuania has declined by 900k people since 1991. that's almost a 25 percent!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh cool this was even worse than I expected and I expected something pretty bad. Inviting two Banderites to set the record straight on how calling an SS veteran a Nazi is really mean ftw

Starsfan posted:

Pretty sure that was Latvia. They were going to kick out seniors that had lived in Latvia since childhood if they couldn't demonstrate fluency in Latvian. Have to get rid of those potentially subversive elements in society

Oh right. Yeah that's so loving disgusting lmao

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

jesus lol the overall population of lithuania has declined by 900k people since 1991. that's almost a 25 percent!

Russo-fascist tankie chuds, good riddance

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I don't know why they're loving with the thing that there are papers going back to 1995 saying makes the Baltics a liability for ever joining NATO.

It wasn't enough to see Ukraine get stomped? They need to spark something up there too?

Pounding the table chanting DEATH DRIVE DEATH DRIVE DEATH DRIVE

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

Russo-fascist tankie chuds, good riddance

lol most of that 900k is lithuanian

like im sure a bunch of this decline is just people moving to more prosperous parts of the EU but how do leaders not panic looking at those numbers? well, i guess that helps explain the far-right over there lol. demographic collapse is actually happening.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

like im sure a bunch of this decline is just people moving to more prosperous parts of the EU but how do leaders not panic looking at those numbers?

The West Is A Single Nondecomposable System

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Oh cool this was even worse than I expected and I expected something pretty bad. Inviting two Banderites to set the record straight on how calling an SS veteran a Nazi is really mean ftw

https://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/30025

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qf8EuP7dwjRKT3nc7ulq2mAoCWJUxt5J/view?pli=1

I take psychic damage every time I'm exposed to this guy

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wait he's an RMC professor. That means..... oh man, FF you have the chance to do something really funmy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

the soviets resettled something like 20,000 of them and they call that the lithuanian genocide.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

Schäuble voice: I did that

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

lol most of that 900k is lithuanian

like im sure a bunch of this decline is just people moving to more prosperous parts of the EU but how do leaders not panic looking at those numbers? well, i guess that helps explain the far-right over there lol. demographic collapse is actually happening.

why would this dude panic

quote:

Valdas Adamkus - Wikipedia]He attended the University of Munich in Germany before emigrating to the United States in 1949. Fluent in five languages – Lithuanian, Polish, English, Russian, and German – he served as a senior non-commissioned officer with the United States 5th Army Reserve's military intelligence unit in the 1950s

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Stfu mlmp

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's insane how thoroughly Banderites control the narrative in Canada. Like even with Gaza there are plenty of non-zionist Jews and Jewish organisations speaking out etc. There is literally no dissent that I know of from 'Ukrainian' Canadians when it comes to Bandera being ftw or the Holodomor being the Even Worse Holocaust.

Like the entire story has been completely ceded to the relatively small number who showed up here after the war (and their literal and ideological descendents) when there were already hundreds of thousands Ukranians in Canada before they started arriving. I assume because a fair number of pre-war Ukranians were some type of leftist and therefore the government needed some reliable, patriotic, anti-communist heroes to take charge

genericnick posted:

why would this dude panic

Lol he was a collaborator. Badass

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russia has the loudest voice when it comes to opposing Ukrainian nazis.

No need to make problems for yourself by sticking your neck out like that when it's already being taken care of.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's also that professor who posts on twitter debunking the Maidan conspiracies.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Waves on western beaches: a bad experience. Also some just lost outright to their LCT hitting a mine.

But success swimming in or just dropping directly on the shallows elsewhere. ~25% losses off the top to a mix of mines, enemy fire swimming in, or just waves and water.

Americans are uniquely stupid at planning military engagements is also an acceptable conclusion

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

DaysBefore posted:

Wait he's an RMC professor. That means..... oh man, FF you have the chance to do something really funmy

Yeah, get fired by the deranged (and tenured) guy who has been writing editorials for two years about how the Holocaust wasn't that bad (not a joke).

DaysBefore posted:

I assume because a fair number of pre-war Ukranians were some type of leftist and therefore the government needed some reliable, patriotic, anti-communist heroes to take charge

This is literally what happened. The Bottlemen podcast covered it in a few episodes.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yeah, get fired by the deranged (and tenured) guy who has been writing editorials for two years about how the Holocaust wasn't that bad (not a joke).

Jesus Christ

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is literally what happened. The Bottlemen podcast covered it in a few episodes.

what ever happened to the bottlemen. i know one of the cohosts got chased off twitter by NAFO

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

i think some people are seriously hoping there is a big war that magically doesn't go nuclear but 'solves' the problem of Russia and China

they don't care how, they're just fed up of all these violators of the rules based international order

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think some people are seriously hoping there is a big war that magically doesn't go nuclear but 'solves' the problem of Russia and China

they don't care how, they're just fed up of all these violators of the rules based international order

They are afraid they will get treated the same way the West has treated those countries and they are willing to risk the entire world to avoid that fate.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

DaysBefore posted:

Lol he was a collaborator. Badass

The Baltic states are insane lol. Electing a Nazi collaborator twice, wild.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Nazis are stupid aa gently caress. It's why they're Nazis

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i love the language there. poles were murdered, while jews merely died, and russians only ran afoul of the nazis. good stuff.