Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

this is my favorite navigator:

We have just folded space from Ix :)

Many machines on Ix :)

New machines :)

Better than those on Richese :)

I did not say this. I was not here. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Ix" is just "Bricks" with 20000 years of linguistic drift.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Speaker posted:

Are 'stages' of navigator a thing from the books, or a Lynch invention? Come to think of it, I haven't read the books in a LONG time - is the navigator that talks to the emperor actually described as mutated, and in a tank? Or is that all Lynch too?

The terminology of “stages” isn’t used in the books until, iirc, Heretics, which came out the same year as Lynch Dune. However, the reveal that steersmen are weird fish looking guys is as early as Messiah.

The scene where the navigator visits the emperor isn’t in the book. The only guildsmen who show up in the original book are visually human, except for their spicy eyes which they wear contacts to disguise.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

FMguru posted:

2000 bricks

10000 brix

20000 Ix

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FMguru posted:

But how can this be?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apropos of nothing picturing the spinoff showing the musical adventures of Count Fenring and Tom Bombadil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apropos of nothing picturing the spinoff showing the musical adventures of Count Fenring and Tom Bombadil.

"Wife Guys"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FMguru posted:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It used to be called Br9

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's Roman Danish numerals

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Base 20 doesn't require computers, OP.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Old Count Fenring is a.....hmmmmmmm.....merry fellow

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Just saw Dune 2. They dehydrated one of those Harkonnen guys alive, right? Gross

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tree Bucket posted:

Gooney Halleck

uber_stoat posted:

Paul: "I'm not in the mood."

Gurney wearing a "you laugh because i'm different" tshirt: "Mood’s a thing for SHEEP or for the act of euuuugh COITUS which I can't PERFORM because the Harkonnens CIRCUMSIZED me! THEY"RE BRUTAL!"

Paul: "ummmm"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

Just saw Dune 2. They dehydrated one of those Harkonnen guys alive, right? Gross
Yes, which makes them water thieves.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Soul Dentist posted:

He is the Kamelĺsĺ Haderach!

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

uber_stoat posted:

no, stages is something Lynch came up with. the book high level guild guys are hosed up but not quite at that level. here's one interpretation, maybe still a little extreme, posted mostly because i like Wayne Barlowe.

This owns. I love Wayne Barlowe, how have I never seen this

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Murray Mantoinette posted:

This owns. I love Wayne Barlowe, how have I never seen this
You should track down the book

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Awesome. I'm partial to his Inferno art but the man's got a great imagination for weird anatomy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Groda posted:

He is the Kamelĺsĺ Haderach!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

You should track down the book

Please tell me it also has the God Emperor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

skasion posted:

Please tell me it also has the God Emperor
The book came out in 1979 (two years before GEoD) so no.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Iiirc he also has one for fantasy races. And yea its an awesome book.

E:

You know its awesome cuz its got a character from The Worm Ouroboros right on the front cover

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 25, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm just very pleased that he did the Dirdir and the Pnume.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

You know its awesome cuz its got a character from The Worm Ouroboros right on the front cover

:yeah:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I had a dream I was watching a version of Dune where popular entertainment media was a framing device and the Altreides being handed Arrakis was being covered by entertainment news and they were having a concert where they introduced "the most popular ghola" and it was the Rick James ghola rapping except he just kept saying "Ghola" over and over again. It was kind of like Fifth Element. All very strange.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dreams are messages from the deep

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
No semuta posting please

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

kalel posted:

Dreams are messages from the deep

I think you mean

KHA DURRRRRRRRMMMMM BURMMMMMMMMMMMM

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

No, it's OOOONG BOMBA GIL

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
poo poo I really need to work on my Sardaukar, I couldn't even ask where the bathroom is.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Reading Heretics

Stupid sexy Bene Gesserit :argh:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
After several setbacks, one new baby, one lost job and the cinema flooding I've finally seen Dunc II in imax and woah

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Shoehead posted:

After several setbacks, one new baby, one lost job and the cinema flooding

But enough about the Lynch movie

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

free hubcaps posted:

Iiirc he also has one for fantasy races. And yea its an awesome book.

E:

Man that is not how I pictured the alzabo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Do you think fremen ever jab each other with the dehydrator as a prank? Like if someone's not paying attention, POW! grab a couple oz from them

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The movie was so good I loved watching it but man the whole narrative kind of suffered from trying so hard to not show child Alia at all costs. So the whole few years ends up taking place over I think 6-7 months instead of a few years. Plus I kind of feel that having Leto II (the first)'s death would have been a better motivation to move south than we got but I also understand that Paul cant have a child on this timeline and there being 2 Leto IIs is really messy

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I had a dream I was watching a version of Dune where popular entertainment media was a framing device and the Altreides being handed Arrakis was being covered by entertainment news and they were having a concert where they introduced "the most popular ghola" and it was the Rick James ghola rapping except he just kept saying "Ghola" over and over again. It was kind of like Fifth Element. All very strange.

you dream in verhoeven. jealous

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shoehead posted:

The movie was so good I loved watching it but man the whole narrative kind of suffered from trying so hard to not show child Alia at all costs. So the whole few years ends up taking place over I think 6-7 months instead of a few years.

genuine question, in your opinion why is this a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
FINALLY got to go see the movie,

my thoughts about it

1) sucks that it was all compressed into less than 9 months, the toddler abomination should have knifed the baron
2) rocks that Jessica had her own plans and went to go do them while Paul was refusing to become the messiah
3) really wish that Paul had gotten to transmute and defeat Feyd's (Emperor's) blade poison
4) thoughts on Part 3 / Messiah: since Denis is clearly compressing the time from 12 years to a few years like he compressed 3 years into 9 months, instead of Chani being infertile because she is being poisoned, she will simply be missing and Paul will have to find her and re-win her love.