Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Namor and Wakanda been beefing for years in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

muscles like this! posted:

More of a general thing but it is really annoying when adaptations act like they're embarrassed of the thing they're adapting and call out parts of it as being dumb. Like superhero movies mocking old costumes or hero names.

The yellow spandex line is of course lame in retrospective (I dunno how many people would have thought it was cool at the time, probably I did, though I think I was barely a teenager when it came out) but "Sabertooth... Storm... What do they call you? Wheels?" is fantastic.
e: Was the BK Kids Club contemporaneous with the first X-Men movie, I wonder.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
But is Namor near the Yucatan/Chicxulub Crater in the comics? Like...I know the movie handwaved it away as something like "Underground waterways connect the places!" But c'mon!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
They really should have saved him for the Fantastic Four.

Then he could mack on Sue, pretend to make a movie, and help Dr. Doom launch the Baxter Building into space.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Harley Quinn did a good job of making Aquaman both a hero and a douchebag at the same time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Harley Quinn fully embraces all the camp comics stuff and it's great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved Harley Quinn's gag with the Cancer Gun. Just when she sees the label and is just like "Oh my god, I am SO sorry..."

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Brave and the Bold has the best Aquaman. Just the best bro you could ever have.

I think it got pulled because of Zaslav bullshit, but there was recently a really great Aquaman cartoon on HBO Max. It had incredibly silly animation where it leaned fully into being a cartoon.

And the cast was perfect: Cooper Andrews is great as Aquaman (definitely pulling mainly from the Brave and the Bold version, but less competent), Gillian Jacobs as an extremely goofy Mera, and Dana Snyder playing the most childish, moronic version of Ocean Master imaginable.

And I’m not sure you can even watch it anywhere! A huge loving shame. It’s only three episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Android Apocalypse posted:

You know Wade will make fun of Logan for wearing the yellow & blue uniform in Deadpool & Wolverine.

If anything more likely Deadpool will gush over it, much to Wolverine's annoyance and confusion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TGG posted:

Just lean into the badass undersea hammy royal insane Brave and the Bold version. It works no matter what. poo poo just have John DiMaggio play him live action, it still works.

And add the musical numbers.

I'm seriously pretty sure BatB was a major influence on Mamoa Aquaman.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Go figure HBOMAX is pushing Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom and The Flash a lot (watching the latter on HBO right now) and my IIMM is that events IRL revolving the production of those movies affected my enjoyment of the films. Amber Heard is barely in Aquaman & Ezra Miller's :chloe: IRL actions just takes me out of The Flash.

Shame too as I thought both movies are kind of fun.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's a shame comic book movies can't just lean into it and recast while continuing. The Batman movies sort of did before Nolan, 2006's Superman Returns was clearly a continuation of Reeves' portrayal, but all three Spider-Man series had to reboot per new actor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FFT posted:

It's a shame comic book movies can't just lean into it and recast while continuing. The Batman movies sort of did before Nolan, 2006's Superman Returns was clearly a continuation of Reeves' portrayal, but all three Spider-Man series had to reboot per new actor.

It seems like that's because everyone responsible for media production is horny for origin stories. Like, Civil War was the first time they just accepted that we know Spider-man's origin story and skipped it, before that every cartoon, tv show and movie series HAD to tell us that he got bitten by a radioactive spider despite it being maybe the most well known superhero origin aside from Superman being an alien from Krypton.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
That we use real live actors to portray comic book heroes is indicative of the dark age of cinema in which we live. Can we just be done with actors, finally, and replace them with capable acrobats wearing mocap suits and voice actors (but not the same five voice actors who voice everything; there should be millions of voice actors and zero live actors except on stage where they fuckin belong)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

credburn posted:

That we use real live actors to portray comic book heroes is indicative of the dark age of cinema in which we live. Can we just be done with actors, finally, and replace them with capable acrobats wearing mocap suits and voice actors (but not the same five voice actors who voice everything; there should be millions of voice actors and zero live actors except on stage where they fuckin belong)

I feel like this post is attacking Andy Serkis in some way, and I won't stand for that!

Or it could be asking for more Andy Serkis, in which case, go for it!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Andy Serkis is far too good an actor to be buried under cgi, we strayed from god's light when directors started being embarrassed to just put muppets in their films when they needed a type of guy that doesn't exist.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Pilchenstein posted:

Andy Serkis is far too good an actor to be buried under cgi, we strayed from god's light when directors started being embarrassed to just put muppets in their films when they needed a type of guy that doesn't exist.

No, that guy is called Michael Knight. I saw a documentary this one time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fil5000 posted:

It seems like that's because everyone responsible for media production is horny for origin stories. Like, Civil War was the first time they just accepted that we know Spider-man's origin story and skipped it, before that every cartoon, tv show and movie series HAD to tell us that he got bitten by a radioactive spider despite it being maybe the most well known superhero origin aside from Superman being an alien from Krypton.

True.

Though it seems more excusable for guys like spiderman who randomly get their powers and suddenly have to deal with being a guy with powers. A teen going through puberty developing powers is a classic story. Competent adult spiderman is kinda dull. Sadsack "they killed my aunt/uncle/GF or whatever for cheap drama" Spiderman is even worse.

Spiderman is a better character at 15 than 25. Due to how live action movies are made a single actor can only play highschool-age spiderman for 3 movies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i know it's animated but the Older Loser Spiderman was legit the best part of Into The Spiderverse.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Cowslips Warren posted:

i know it's animated but the Older Loser Spiderman was legit the best part of Into The Spiderverse.
That is 100% on Jake Johnson's delivery, and I absolutely agree.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Origin stories for heroes that have had their stories played out need to be the Into-the-Spiderverse style, a quick monologue over a 20-second montage.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Morpheus posted:

Origin stories for heroes that have had their stories played out need to be the Into-the-Spiderverse style, a quick monologue over a 20-second montage.

Batman, suspended over agiant vat of boiling mac'n cheese: Yep, that's me! You are probably wondering how I got in this situation...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked how Watchmen used the opening credits montage for the exposition in setting up the world.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Batman, suspended over agiant vat of boiling mac'n cheese: Yep, that's me! You are probably wondering how I got in this situation...

wasnt Batman TAS 's first episode/pilot not an origin episode? hell they dont do origins for the Robins either , they do them later and just have the series hit the ground running.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Batman media in particular has a long history of a cold openings taking down a usually unrelated villains. Bond often does something similar. It's a great trick, it establishes the character doing what he does.and being a badass, and his place in the world, and lets you use a set piece that might not otherwise fit into the rest of the story.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Spider-Man was particularly egregious because they did an origin story movie three times in fifteen years.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

wasnt Batman TAS 's first episode/pilot not an origin episode? hell they dont do origins for the Robins either , they do them later and just have the series hit the ground running.
Yeah, Batman: TAS alluded to Bruce's origin several times, but I don't think ever actually showed it. A lot of villains got origin stories, though; Mr. Freeze especially benefited.

Notably, it's only ever referenced once in the 66 series, and only one sentence in the first episode. I'm not even sure if they mention Robin's origin.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I liked how Watchmen used the opening credits montage for the exposition in setting up the world.
The opening credit sequence was the best part of that movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Fantastic Four films have also struggled because they try to tell the origin story or a version of it each time. In the latest reboot (Fan4stic) the origin story is the catalyst for the plot so its writers finally wisened up but i think it's too late. Another reboot is coming and it will commit the same mistake of wasting 25 minutes explaining why Ben is a rock.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CJacobs posted:

The Fantastic Four films have also struggled because they try to tell the origin story or a version of it each time. In the latest reboot (Fan4stic) the origin story is the catalyst for the plot so its writers finally wisened up but i think it's too late. Another reboot is coming and it will commit the same mistake of wasting 25 minutes explaining why Ben is a rock.

Which is hilarious because the 90s cartoon summed up their origin and powers in the thirty second opening song.

Edit: Sorry, it's sixty seconds, but like half of that is a load of synth horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XggH5-vLlUQ

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Have the new MCU FF4 movie crib from Dan Snyder's Watchmen opening credits montage and we'll be all set.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Equalizer 3
The villain behaves in such a ridiculous fashion just prior to the final showdown I spent the whole of the denouement boggling instead of rooting for Denzel. This is rationally irritating, but it irritated me to an irrational degree.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Tim Burton's Batman didn't need an origin story because Batman was as much a mystery to us as he seemed to be for everyone in the movie. They'd heard about him, they know he fights crime, but they don't know any more than that, and we as the audience don't need to know much more than that for it all to work just fine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The 1989 Batman movie works in the origin story but it doesn't start with it, but only shows snippets through the film.

The opening with the family being mugged but not being the Wayne's was a good fakeout.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Have the new MCU FF4 movie crib from Dan Snyder's Watchmen opening credits montage and we'll be all set.

They could recreate the 60s cartoon intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eue8XngYdzM

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they should just do the terrific trio , oh and then reveal surprise this is a batman beyond movie.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just started Resident Alien season 3 after watching season 2 over the weekend (and season 1 a long time ago) and it's kinda off putting how it's supposed to follow season 2 directly but also the actor playing Max (a kid) clearly hit puberty and grew a bunch in between seasons. It's less noticeable with Sahar because of her headscarf and stuff.

Also I just don't like Max anymore, his childish/foolish shtick was funny and cute at first (maybe because it's balanced out by Sahar's down to earth and intelligent traits) but at this point he's just an idiot surrounded by exaggerated but somewhat grounded characters. Even within the context of the show his decision making and grasp of the situations he gets in are pretty much at a special needs level. The first two seasons establish that he kinda seems the understand the gravity of everything and then this season he made some new friends because Sahar left and the first thing he does is take them to the alien and threaten him with a tazer show his real form because he has this fantasy of being the new Alien Hunter (or whatever it was). I know it's a comedy show but the comedy is in the fact that the characters are all at least somewhat grounded except for the alien, but Max functions on the level of a 6 or 7 year old and nobody seems fazed by that at all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

they should just do the terrific trio , oh and then reveal surprise this is a batman beyond movie.

NGL, originally I thought you meant Batman/Robin/Batgirl by Terrific Trio. I forgot there was literally a group called that in Batman Beyond.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dan Snyder's watchmen would be even worse than Zach Snyder's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded how part of X-Men's original deal was to have a shared superhero origin so they wouldn't need to come up with a new one for every single character. But then Wolverine has probably enough origin story for everyone.