Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I went to do the hag in act 1 tonight and not sure wtf happened. When I tried to go through the fireplace she suddenly spawned in and the boss fight went down in the main tea house area. Never had this happen before. The fight was a joke, she just kinda stood there and didn't use any of her abilities. Might as well have been jumping an actual grandma. Went into the fireplace and everything was friendly, Mayrina was still in her cage and I was able to finish the quest as normal. Didn't get the hair item obviously. Was looking forward to that reward, but at least it was quick? Whole hag dungeon took about 3 minutes.

Also honor mode Nere almost wiped me. I killed all the druegar so it would be a 1v4 but he immediately posessed Astarion who proceeded to delete another companion in 1 turn lol. Now it's 2 on 2 and he has one of my best dudes. Was able to break Astarion out of it and mop up but that was scarier than I expected. Having flashbacks to WoW with this mind control poo poo. If I hadn't cleaned up before releasing him that would have been a very fast TPK.

lol

lol you did the hard mode version of the nere fight. I’ve never had the courage to not side with the duergar rebels in HM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Docjowles posted:

It’s cheap and you can even pickpocket the gold right back with zero consequences lol.

lol wow

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Does wearing armor negatively impact casters?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Does wearing armor negatively impact casters?

Yup unless you've taken a feat/multiclass they can't cast in armor.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Casters can wear armor they are proficient in with no penalties

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

feller posted:

lol you did the hard mode version of the nere fight. I’ve never had the courage to not side with the duergar rebels in HM

I just hosed up, I forgot what the right answer to get the duergar on your side was and they told me to get lost. Honestly killing all the dudes was pretty easy, I had Wyll drop a hunger of Hadar in the middle and everyone else up on a ledge raining arrows and throwing weapons and poo poo. Nere himself was a near thing though. Possessing Astarion plus his legendary action sucked. I think I would have wiped if I hadn't cheeseed Aid on everyone with a camp hireling for 10 more HP.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 25, 2024

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thanks, I'll try this!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Multiclassing seems darn near required for most builds.

Seems like mono pally and mono sorc and mono fighter can be decent though.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mono anything is fine. i played my whole first game on tactician without multiclassing and didn't have any problems, and i swear by going 12 life cleric shadowheart even now because perma-bless/blade ward and continuous healing just makes everything so much more consistent.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rogue is the only one where I wouldn’t suggest going mono. All the others are great as monoclass though some are better than others ofc.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I did a 6/6 sorcadin durge and honestly it totally ruled.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah, on my first run, as a humble Tav, I kept Astarion a full 12 Rogue and I really wasnt sure how to make it work, so he ended up getting benched

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm sure it's a side effect of arbitrarily cutting off the D&D leveling curve at 12. But it's a little weird that the classes don't have some kind of capstone ability at max level to make multiclassing less of a no-brainer. As it is the later levels tend to be like "you gain one spell slot". Which is cool, but pales in comparison to the power of an extra action/bonus action. Or the whole "you can learn 99% of the spells in the game with 1 dip into wizard" thing. It doesn't bother me. I just wonder if Larian would have set it up this way if they weren't coloring inside the lines of D&D. Usually there is more of a reward for depth over breadth in character builds.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m at work but I just want 2 game

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like my current sorc but thinking I’m gonna reroll as a bard or paladin.

Want somebody a bit more frontline and tanky.

But kind of avoiding paladin because I want a mischevious party of rascals.

The options are endless!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Docjowles posted:

I'm sure it's a side effect of arbitrarily cutting off the D&D leveling curve at 12. But it's a little weird that the classes don't have some kind of capstone ability at max level to make multiclassing less of a no-brainer. As it is the later levels tend to be like "you gain one spell slot". Which is cool, but pales in comparison to the power of an extra action/bonus action. Or the whole "you can learn 99% of the spells in the game with 1 dip into wizard" thing. It doesn't bother me. I just wonder if Larian would have set it up this way if they weren't coloring inside the lines of D&D. Usually there is more of a reward for depth over breadth in character builds.

I’m glad you shared this because I was trying to find some bonus for monoclassing , but I didn’t find any capstone thing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

I like my current sorc but thinking I’m gonna reroll as a bard or paladin.

Want somebody a bit more frontline and tanky.

But kind of avoiding paladin because I want a mischevious party of rascals.

The options are endless!!!

You can break your oath and go full edgelord without responsibilities as paladin, the only true way to play that class

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I spent acts 1 and 2 chuckling to myself sometimes about when I'd get to "the fireworks factory", the actual city of Baldur's Gate. Then when I got there, there's an actual fireworks factory. I wonder if that was an intentional meta-joke.

Docjowles posted:

Anytime I have a complaint with the game, and they're all very minor, I see that it's due to the D&D foundation, not the game itself. I don't believe Larian would do things the D&D way if they didn't have to either. I don't know what I'm missing by going mono-sorcerer, but that's what I've done for 50 hours and 10 levels.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjhuzsf_Rw

kinda mood today

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know what I'm missing by going mono-sorcerer, but that's what I've done for 50 hours and 10 levels.

You're only really "missing" some cheese. Instead of going 12 sorc, you can go 2 tempest cleric / 1 wizard / 9 sorc. The dip in cleric gives you 1) the ability to cast Create Water yourself, 2) some armor and weapon proficiency, and 3) Destructive Wrath, which lets you guarantee your attack rolls the max possible damage. You take wizard so you can learn scrolls for the highest level spells, since with only 9 in sorcerer you won't get to learn level 6 spells naturally. Then when you have some mobs you want to Select All > Delete, you use your sorcerer metamagic to cast Create Water as a bonus action, granting double lightning damage. Cast chain lightning on your target, and use Destructive Wrath to ensure it rolls max damage. Most non-boss mobs are probably now dead. Or if you have another character apply Wet, you could use quickened spell to cast 2 chain lightnings.

This is massive overkill most of the time, but it is hilarious

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wait why would you be able to learn wizard spells as a sorc and cast them from CHA? That is totally loving broken both lore wise and gameplay wise. If you learn a wizard spell you should have to cast it as a wizard, which for a 1 wizard dip would be first level spells only, and cast from INT.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Woolie Wool posted:

If you learn a wizard spell you should have to cast it as a wizard, which for a 1 wizard dip would be first level spells only, and cast from INT.

Wizard spells you learn will use INT for casting.

HOWEVER

Spell slots from Druid, Cleric, Wizard, Sorcerer and Bard are a common pool, and you can cast Wizard spells using Sorcerer spell slots.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 25, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Wait why would you be able to learn wizard spells as a sorc and cast them from CHA? That is totally loving broken both lore wise and gameplay wise. If you learn a wizard spell you should have to cast it as a wizard, which for a 1 wizard dip would be first level spells only, and cast from INT.

I think it does use INT for spells you scribe from scrolls so you need to keep both CHA and INT high in this build. Which isn't that hard. Plus there are a ton of + spell DC / spell attack items at endgame. And yeah I dunno if Larian has ever said if it is a bug or design choice, but with 1 level in Wizard you can learn and cast literally any scroll of any level. It is silly :shrug:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know what I'm missing by going mono-sorcerer, but that's what I've done for 50 hours and 10 levels.

Yeah I guess as a casual player I don't see any problem single-classing.

Multi-classing is for people trying to make hyper-specific builds that make combat easier, particularly at harder difficulty.

There's a lot of utility in multi-classing, and I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to just trash enemies with little effort... but if you're just trying to enjoy the game then just do what you want. It's not like you're trying to optimize a PvP build or anything.

LifeLynx posted:

lmfao I'm only barely in to Act 2 and I'm at like 90 hours, and that obviously isn't counting all the time lost from save scumming.

I spend a lot of time farting around and exploring every little corner. Also a lot of start and stop because if I'm lucky I get like an hour to play any given night, let alone 2 nights in a row, so I usually have to take a few minutes to remember what the hell I was doing the last time...

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Generally speaking is it a steep uphill challenge to fight enemies a level higher? Or should I be able to handle them with good gear / builds / tactics?

My party is level three at trying to fight the swamp hag . The enemies are level four and I'm getting shreked. Like it's not even close.

It's my first playthough, and I'm on the standard difficulty, so I'm still learning mechanics and stuff.
Barrelmancy in her cottage. I managed to 1.5-turn alpha strike her with Drow poison, but enough barrels can avoid any need to quickload.

Woolie Wool posted:

Does anyone else stop using non damage spells at higher levels. I find that control and status spells aren't as reliable as fireball fireball chain lightning, fireball fireball magic missile, fireball fireball lightning bolt
Death is the ultimate debuff.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

DaveSauce posted:

There's a lot of utility in multi-classing, and I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to just trash enemies with little effort... but if you're just trying to enjoy the game then just do what you want. It's not like you're trying to optimize a PvP build or anything.

I'ts easy to trash enemies even with a fully non-multiclass party! I'm running with Vengeance Paladin Tav, Light Cleric Shadowheart, Battlemaster Lae'zel, and Wizard Gale. I two-shot smote Orin with my Paladin and killed Sarevok and Gortash within two rounds. And that's not using Haste or Glove of Invulnerability or any scrolls or elixirs. Some of the other end game fights have been a bit more difficult than that but not too much.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Death is the ultimate debuff.

it's actually command: halt

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cool the game just crashed and lost me like an hour of honor mode time. I don't think to spam F5 every 3 seconds in a single-save mode, my mistake. Guess I get to do Grym again

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I’m glad you shared this because I was trying to find some bonus for monoclassing , but I didn’t find any capstone thing.

Most classes have their capstone thing at 10 or 11 for some reason. And some of them are really good like bm or hunter ranger, fighter, or moon druid. Then 12 gets you a feat, but I usually don't find the options for a third feat to be that compelling.

Docjowles posted:

Cool the game just crashed and lost me like an hour of honor mode time. I don't think to spam F5 every 3 seconds in a single-save mode, my mistake. Guess I get to do Grym again

Yeah I lost a couple hours the other night and haven't worked up the willpower to go redo it all yet.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Anyone got any fun or interesting build ideas for Rogues? My Tav is a Thief at level 4 currently, and I'm not sure what blends well with that. I feel like it was easier for me intuit fun mix-ups with the fighters and barbs when my wife and I were theory crafting her all star team.

Also, I can't remember if I said this before, but to anyone struggling (especially with Act 1 fights when you're pretty resource scarce) you have have HAVE to get a few hirelings whose entire job is to hang out at camp and buff your party with non-concentration all-day spells. A cleric and a wizard ought to do it, though I'm no optimization expert so someone might have an argument that says I'm an idiot and you should get a druid and a sorcerer or something, idk.

But having mage armor, longstrider, darkvision, aid, warding bond, etc cast on your party without it eating into any of your spells slots is a huge quality of life boost.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just started my most evil playthrough attempt. Going to play as astarion romance minthara and become ascended. And I'm gonna try to do the evil path of each quest I can think of.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Shard posted:

I just started my most evil playthrough attempt. Going to play as astarion romance minthara and become ascended. And I'm gonna try to do the evil path of each quest I can think of.

The only thing better is to romance Gale, ascend, and then become a god. Ultimate ego trip.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Well that went better than I expected.

Wandering through shadow cursed lands prior to Moonlight Towers, came across Shadow-cursed shambling mound. Saw it had... a lot of HP. And several resistances to most of what Gale does for damage. And also a pile of friends nearby just waiting to join in the fight.

Thankfully most of its friends used dash to get close... I had laid down a cloud of daggers at the choke point first, so most of them came through that to get there. A well placed fireball wiped out the rest, which they practically forced me to do since they were all just sitting right next to each other.

Wyll was the only one to die, because the big dude used a whip to pull him close, and then on the next turn did a multiattack that beat the everloving poo poo out of him. Thankfully that distracted him while Karlach wailed on him.

Most of the damage everyone else took was the burst on death thing that the little guys doled out. Pretty sure Gale got out of that battle without a scratch (though used a bunch of spell slots).

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SlimGoodbody posted:

Anyone got any fun or interesting build ideas for Rogues? My Tav is a Thief at level 4 currently, and I'm not sure what blends well with that. I feel like it was easier for me intuit fun mix-ups with the fighters and barbs when my wife and I were theory crafting her all star team.

Swords Bard 6 / Thief 4 / Fighter 2 dual crossbows

Monk 9 / Thief 3

Gloom Stalker 5 / Assassin 3 / Battlemaster 4, or something like that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Beat Orin today, was expecting a major fight on the way out but the acolytes were all like "welcome to the murder temple, hail the murder god, hey you look like those guys we saw murder our Chosen, have to admit that was some p dece murder you did, we're not even mad"

The first attempt when I tried busting down the door and smiting evil left and right it counted as breaking my oath :psyduck:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 26, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

The only thing better is to romance Gale, ascend, and then become a god. Ultimate ego trip.

I saw that. I think I'll do an durge run doing that with the idea that I'll take out my dad once and for all

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A level 12 god.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey! So, I'm just playing through for the first time and I'm just wondering... is there a way I can (minor act 1+2 spoilers, I guess) turn in the idol of Silvanus to Mol/the tiefling gang at the Last Light Inn? I swiped it after assassinating the goblin camp leadership and sneaking out, so no raid happened. So naturally, I figured the druids could do without their idol seeing as the threat was gone... But, after speaking to Mol and helping her with her not-chess game, it doesn't seem like there's an option for me to hand it over?
I assume this was an oversight and I'll have to wait until I reach Baldur's Gate, but I figured I'd check anyway, just in case I can speak to someone else present and hand it over.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zodium posted:

it's actually command: halt

Why halt when grovel is right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Compelled Duel is nice, especially since it's otherwise extremely difficult to make any enemy attack my 24 AC, 137+20 HP gigatank paladin. He is almost impossible to kill but no one even tries and he has lovely initiative, maybe it's time to respec again :sigh:

Did turn out absolutely clutch though when Sarevok was whaling on Minsc and my paladin cast Compelled Duel, started tanking deathbringer multi attacks and taking hardly any damage from massive AC and Armor of Persistence

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 26, 2024