Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
trump's attorneys got yelled at by the criminal judge this morning for filing a bullshit brief accusing the da of misconduct and him being complicit. jury selection begins in three weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Mar 19

skooma512 posted:

I'm sure he'll still be allowed to proceed anyway under a special exception, like always.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mean china might also make the decision to go in a direction other than x86 and the discontinuity in the meantime is just the cost of them securing domestic ability and supply

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ternary computing will be real again

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

mediaphage posted:

i mean china might also make the decision to do go in a direction other than x96

they might even go x106

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

isn’t the obvious solution here ARM or am I mistaken in thinking that that’s open source

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

isn’t the obvious solution here ARM or am I mistaken in thinking that that’s open source

arm requires licensing from a uk company. it’s not even that expensive. i sort of assume they already have companies with license agreements though so that’s also the route i assumed they might take

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

softbank and arm do not control arm china. i think they have a 10% non-voting stake in it and that's it. it is effectively its own thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
arm seems to work great for apple.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dioxazine posted:

softbank and arm do not control arm china. i think they have a 10% non-voting stake in it and that's it. it is effectively its own thing

that’s right i forgot about all those shenanigans

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Roosevelt posted:

they might even go x106

x1080 cpuboarding

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can't wait to see more lol-worthy Chinese processor and gpu reviews.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the year of linux on the chinese government office desktop

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

arm seems to work great for apple.

i think Canada has the most famous arm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

it’s the biggest and the best

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the avro arrow...

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PokeJoe posted:

they have two! and one of them is on their money

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kitfox88 posted:

the avro arrow...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

no those are hands that connor mcdavid has

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

akadajet posted:

the year of linux on the chinese government office desktop

I'm going to move to free and open source China where my privacy will finally be respected.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cant wait for chinese made cpus and gpus to actually get good and drive prices down into the dirt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i think that would be pretty cool, but until they get access to asml machines i don't think it's gonna happen.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think theyll be able to build stuff comparable to current gen cpus in just a few years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maybe. it takes a few years to spin up a fab at all, even if you're just buying the machines from asml and aren't under embargo.

decent processors and gpus, like comparable in performance to celerons and integrated graphics? sure.

competitive with nvidia/intel/amd/apple cutting edge in just a few years? no.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they can likely make it to 5nm production in the next year or 2 with entirely chinese made equipment. i doubt theyll be making 5nm x86 desktop cpus or anything like that, its gonna be mobile and maybe server parts i assume

from what i understand gpus dont need quite as much cutting edge manufacturing capability anyway, its more about design expertise and drivers. and what ive seen from chinese made gpus so far is that the drivers are so bad you cant really figure out how fast the hardware even is

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're going for security from backdoors/etc being able to make all the chips that go into stuff like peripherals/scientific equipment/etc etc is incredibly useful. It's what we used to sabotage Iran's nuclear program some years back so even if they're not making modern desktop processors having 100% control over all the stuff they plug into them is a good step.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Revealed: a California city is training AI to spot homeless encampments posted:

Ken Salsman, chief technology officer for Ash Sensors, said his company, which specializes in sensors that monitor the structural health of buildings, had not explored homelessness detection before learning of San Jose’s pilot. The experiment provided an opportunity to create potentially marketable technologies by solving challenging computer vision problems, such as distinguishing an empty RV parked outside a home from an RV that is a home. He said the company was training its algorithms to detect proxy signs of habitation.

“Are the windows covered inside the vehicle? Are there towels to provide privacy? Is there trash outside the vehicle, suggesting they’re using food and having trouble getting rid of the waste?” Salsman said. He added that successful detection of lived-in vehicles would probably require frequent scanning of city streets in order to establish whether the vehicles have moved.

A report from the company Sensen.AI shows that its system detected 10 lived-in vehicles in footage collected from two streets on 8 February. Several of the vehicles pictured in the report have tarps spread across windows or rolled up and tied to them. Another has traffic cones next to it. Sensen.AI did not respond to a request for comment.

Tawfik said the goal of the pilot was to encourage companies to build algorithmic models that could detect a variety of different objects from car-mounted cameras with at least 70% accuracy. The participating companies are currently detecting lived-in RVs with between 70 and 75% accuracy, he said, but the accuracy for lived-in cars is still far lower: between 10 and 15%. City staff are following the route of the camera-equipped car and confirming that the vehicles are occupied.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hobo detected. please secure your valuables

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

“officer that’s just a ft wfh sweng”

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

very depressing story about a shithead cop shooting and killing a 2 year old

Naturally he faced no consequences outside of no longer being on the "swat" team. His name won't even be made public.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

If you're going for security from backdoors/etc being able to make all the chips that go into stuff like peripherals/scientific equipment/etc etc is incredibly useful. It's what we used to sabotage Iran's nuclear program some years back so even if they're not making modern desktop processors having 100% control over all the stuff they plug into them is a good step.

is it? wasn’t that stuxnet?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

very depressing story about a shithead cop shooting and killing a 2 year old

Naturally he faced no consequences outside of no longer being on the "swat" team. His name won't even be made public.

he was no angel. until he died

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

an RV that is a home. He said the company was training its algorithms to detect proxy signs of habitation.

beware those homeless who inhabit a home, for they are the most insidious

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://twitter.com/aliifil1/status/1772523806994595937

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it'll buff out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im surprised how fast the entire bridge totally collapsed after the ship hit it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

american infrastructure ftw

(the w, in this case, stands for water)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mayo pete butt strikes again

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

another bridge to nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Looks like a container/cargo ship? I'm not that surprised that the momentum was enough to pancake the bridge on contact

US infrastructure is slowly rotting for sure, doesn't help