Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Ohtani admitted to having a document in front of him, but it looking up and talking a lot more than expected. He's actually talking a lot more than I expected.

Also, we're past the five minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My God, a translator taking notes and discussing things back and forth in Japanese to make clarifications.

I wonder if this will be the new translator from here on out.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ohtani basically saying he didn't know anything at all until recently. Must be nice to not notice $4.5 MM missing in the bank account

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MrMidnight posted:

Ohtani basically saying he didn't know anything at all until recently. Must be nice to not notice $4.5 MM missing in the bank account
Like OK, even if he didn't notice it, he should have accountants who do

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
About twelve minutes, so the under seventeen minutes hits! Cash in your slips, ladies and gentlemen!

Ohtani was looking at the camera and talking without staring at a piece of paper much at all. I'd imagine that's about as well as it could have gone.

If this all stands as it was just told, I really hope Ippei gets some help. What a catastrophic story of addiction parlaying into betrayal of a very best friend.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Captain Log posted:

My God, a translator taking notes and discussing things back and forth in Japanese to make clarifications.

Yes, Will Ireton has worked for the Dodgers for years now and will likely be Ohtani's translator for the foreseeable future.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/fabianardaya/status/1772380514151764418?s=46&t=mLlHkULTWtGiAcwn5da2fQ

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah talk about throwing away a great job and friendship in one go though I'm sure there's some conflicting info between Ohtani's statement and what's in the ESPN piece.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Yeah talk about throwing away a great job and friendship in one go though I'm sure there's some conflicting info between Ohtani's statement and what's in the ESPN piece.
Well wasn't Ippei's claim that Shohei was aware of the transfers? They are clearly saying that Shohei had no knowledge whatsoever of what Ippei was doing. Which again raises the question of how did he have access to Shohei's accounts??

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

bawfuls posted:

Yes, Will Ireton has worked for the Dodgers for years now and will likely be Ohtani's translator for the foreseeable future.

If you're a translator who likes to travel, could there be a better job on the planet? gently caress, I used to travel for a living around America to the tune of 180 overnights in a ten month period. I loved it, and I was staying in LaQuintas with a $30 per diem on a debit card I had to itemize.

MrMidnight posted:

God, it's so loving depressing. But I'm coming from the place of an eight year plus sober alcoholic, so I know how low addiction can put a person.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the gist of the Ohtani situation that his translator made a bunch of bets on games using money from Ohtani's bank account without his knowledge, and it's a betrayal because him and his translator were previously friends?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well wasn't Ippei's claim that Shohei was aware of the transfers? They are clearly saying that Shohei had no knowledge whatsoever of what Ippei was doing. Which again raises the question of how did he have access to Shohei's accounts??

I know I'm on Ohtani's side with all this poo poo. But I don't think it's that hard to believe a guy who spends 365 days a year with a person, likely handling every aspect of their life, could slice away six-figure chunks from a guy worth about a billion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ippei has apparently been a con man all his life, it's not like he just contracted a gambling addiction and descended into shadiness a year ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I know I'm on Ohtani's side with all this poo poo. But I don't think it's that hard to believe a guy who spends 365 days a year with a person, likely handling every aspect of their life, could slice away six-figure chunks from a guy worth about a billion.
That could very well be the truth, but if you are a person with that kind of money, you should have an army of accounting/financial people on your payroll to avoid these things happening

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

explosivo posted:

Is the gist of the Ohtani situation that his translator made a bunch of bets on games using money from Ohtani's bank account without his knowledge, and it's a betrayal because him and his translator were previously friends?

Ohtani's translator became his best friend to the point where they literally spent 365 days a year together, including a workout and meal on Christmas Day. Ohtani called him a brother. Ippei, his translator, caught for him at the home run derby, was with Ohtani at every function, and was beloved by the fanbase.

Ippei got in with an illegal bookie in California, where they live. Lost a million in a year, then got deeper and deeper. Baseball players are allowed to bet on non-baseball things. But only through legal means. Money was wired from Ohtani's account to cover Ippei's losses.

Ippei told the media Ohtani knew all of this, and was covering his losses as a friend. Then his story changed two or three times. Now it looks like Ohtani never knew anything about it, and turned the matter over to the authorities.

tldr - His translator became a best friend, started betting way over his head, then used his absurdly rich best friend's money to cover his losses in an illegal manner while lying to everyone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ohtani was pretty unambiguous with that statement. His position is that Ippei stole from him and then lied about it to the media and the team when things came out last week. That's obviously a serious accusation.

If that isn't what happened, Ippei has a HUGE incentive to push back on that account of events since it implicates him in even more serious crimes than simply betting with an illegal bookie.

So who's going to get a follow up interview with Ippei now? Will his attorney release a statement?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wow, thank you. This is the most succinct recap of this i've seen so far hah.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ippei will not be taking questions or stepping foot on American soil again, I would imagine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

It's not easy to transfer that kind of money. Close friends or not, it would be really hard to transfer that money without anyone, including accountants and financial advisors noticing. Ippei would have to have had extroadinary access to Ohtani's financials.

Regardless, it's a criminal matter now and shouldn't be hard for the Feds to figure out who and how the money was transferred.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m still leaning that Ippei’s initial story is as close to the truth as we’ve heard so far and Ohtani’s camp began doing some serious backpedaling once they realized how much they hosed up in putting him at risk for wire fraud charges.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Yeah.

The part that is hard to explain is the $4.5m wire DIRECTLY from Ohtani's account. It could be as simple as Ippei gambling and Shohei trying to help without realizing that its a crime. Arguing that he was robbed is likely a necessary fig leaf to avoid federal prosecution.

Not sure it'll work, though.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Historically, MLB loves a fall guy (sometimes eight at once) for systemic issues but this Ohtani story is just getting started.

Popete posted:

So that company nVenue I Googled them and their tagline is "nVenue Real-Time Micro-Bets for Sports", they aren't even trying to pretend it's anything but sports betting garbage.

From their Developers page "Real-time probabilities and odds backed by machine learning and AI.", so yeah it's just completely made up then.

Just so this doesn’t slip by, I highly highly recommend listening to that Fangraphs podcast because reading between the lines this isn’t meant to support sports betting, it’s meant to spur it. Any connection these stats have to reality is a mere coincidence,; also coincidentally I don’t see Tim Cook & Co. ignoring a shot at getting their 30% cut of the action indefinitely as they invest more in sports. Luckily Apple makes their games highly skippable.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ohtani's position is quite clear at this point, and with this kind of financial crime alleged it's only a matter of time before the feds get to the bottom of it.

It would be absolutely shocking incompetence on the part of Ohtani's legal team if they sent him out there today to lie about this, given the stakes.

Given this, I'm less inclined to believe Ippei's first version of events now. Because if Ohtani knowingly wired money to an illegal bookie, that is 100% going to be proven eventually by investigators.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 25, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Ohtani's position is quite clear at this point, and with this kind of financial crime alleged it's only a matter of time before the feds get to the bottom of it.

It would be absolutely shocking incompetence on the part of Ohtani's legal team if they sent him out there today to lie about this, given the stakes.

Either his lawyers are incompetent or his accountants are.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The kind of incompetence like sending the responsible party out there to explain the crimes in the first place?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Either his lawyers are incompetent or his accountants are.
Correct

He better hope it's the latter

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah.

The part that is hard to explain is the $4.5m wire DIRECTLY from Ohtani's account. It could be as simple as Ippei gambling and Shohei trying to help without realizing that its a crime. Arguing that he was robbed is likely a necessary fig leaf to avoid federal prosecution.

Not sure it'll work, though.

It wasn't 4.5 million, it was a series of $500k transfers. From the ESPN article.

quote:

ESPN had reviewed bank information showing Ohtani's name on two $500,000 payments sent in September and October.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

The kind of incompetence like sending the responsible party out there to explain the crimes in the first place?
that's the crisis PR person they hired last week

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Popete posted:

It wasn't 4.5 million, it was a series of $500k transfers. From the ESPN article.

I appreciate the correction, although I believe my original point of money coming from Ohtani's account stands.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I don’t know what really happened (only two people really do) but speaking as someone who has caught embezzlement after accountants did not, albeit at a much smaller scale but much greater percentage of a company’s balance sheet, a few things probably happened that would explain why no one caught this.

1) The $4.5MM may not have been just one transfer, especially if this was over the course of a year. Smaller, more numerous transfers are very easy to miss especially if they’re across a similar period. The motherfucker I caught was paying his rent so it just looked like a monthly expense.

2) Ippei, since he’s Ohtani’s interpreter, could easily have been snowing the accountants if they didn’t speak Japanese. He could control the flow of information and just said Ohtani was cool with any transfer being made.

3) Shohei did know about it and was trying to keep his friend’s legs attached to his body.

Alternative:

4) Shohei bet on the Generals roughly 400 times.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

4) Is the most likely account. I mean, the odds are a million to one and they're due for a win any day now!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shohei's account better be the truth, because with MLB and probably the Feds sniffing around (considering this is already tied into an ongoing federal investigation), if he's lying they are going to find out.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
We're about a week out from finding out Ippei is a moonie lol

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Captain Log posted:

This is Kenta Maeda's translator. He'll be excellent until about June and then hurt his vocal chords.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Ohtani just didn’t know that 4.5 million dollars was wired from his account over however long this was taking place. If Ohtani has people in place to manage his stuff then how did no one notice those wires and raise an internal flag? This doesn’t pass the sniff test

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Athletes get ripped off by friends/family/agents/business partners/accountants etc. all the time, I don't get why people can't wrap their heads around it happening to Ohtani. It didn't take reporters much work to uncover that Ippei was a fraud that lied on his résumé so it's pretty obvious that Ohtani didn't do his due diligence, is overly trusting, or both.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well Played Mauer posted:

1) The $4.5MM may not have been just one transfer, especially if this was over the course of a year. Smaller, more numerous transfers are very easy to miss especially if they’re across a similar period. The motherfucker I caught was paying his rent so it just looked like a monthly expense.

2) Ippei, since he’s Ohtani’s interpreter, could easily have been snowing the accountants if they didn’t speak Japanese. He could control the flow of information and just said Ohtani was cool with any transfer being made.

These two at least seem to be the linchpins of the existing narrative.

I really hate this. At least there weren't any bets on baseball. As far as we know.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/pauliesopinions/status/1772392876854382789?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Carlosologist posted:

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Ohtani just didn’t know that 4.5 million dollars was wired from his account over however long this was taking place. If Ohtani has people in place to manage his stuff then how did no one notice those wires and raise an internal flag? This doesn’t pass the sniff test

Dude is making obscene amounts of money. He's not checking his bank app every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Niwrad posted:

It's not easy to transfer that kind of money. Close friends or not, it would be really hard to transfer that money without anyone, including accountants and financial advisors noticing. Ippei would have to have had extroadinary access to Ohtani's financials.

Regardless, it's a criminal matter now and shouldn't be hard for the Feds to figure out who and how the money was transferred.

I can barely transfer a few thousand dollars from my wife’s account to mine, in the same bank, without them putting a hold on her account, and I can’t pull more than like $500/day out of the ATM. There’s no sensible way that Ippei could drain him of millions without anyone noticing.