Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

riptidejim posted:

Not sure where i said it was the worst thing in my day.

May the supermarket dance be the worst thing in your day, namaste.

Maybe I can't hear the young person's tone anymore but tinnitus lets me hear it for free. Forever and always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

I have a cute little 16" crt covered in various stickers that serves as a cool decoration and also I like to play ps2 on there

An NTSC crt tv and a VGA crt are nothing alike and the gall of using a RCA standard on one is laughable.only scan line purists, such as myself, can perceive such subtle intricacies so I don't blame your ignorance.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

My local mall just banned unaccompanied teenagers, which sounds like a pretty key demographic at a time when malls are dying, but what do I know. The background is that recently a bunch of teenagers have been showing up and hanging around, allegedly to steal stuff, and the police have come and shut down the mall several times in response. (As far as I know, the teens never actually did any mass theft.) There was also a case where some teens chased and beat up another teen a few months back. Still, it seemed like a pretty crazy over-reaction to fully ban unaccompanied teens.

But then I found out that a lot of the teenagers were black and that our local cops have been painting swastikas in people's impounded cars, and it all started to make more sense.

Ours did this a few years back. I think before the pandemic. Just endless groups of kids fighting and stuff getting stolen. Now the malls are doing.. ok? Could do better, but the people who are shopping are usually with little kids now. It almost immediately ended the constant violence and thefts.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
"drat those kids dancing and listening to loud music!!" is some extremely old man poo poo :lol:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I hope and pray that the children of the world continue to dance carelessly to the music undeterred and unfettered

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't think I've ever encountered an influencer in the wild although back in 2000 I remember some kids were trying to do their own jackass thing in the parking lot of a Publix except all they were doing was shoving shopping carts in the way of cars and filming it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Ours did this a few years back. I think before the pandemic. Just endless groups of kids fighting and stuff getting stolen. Now the malls are doing.. ok? Could do better, but the people who are shopping are usually with little kids now. It almost immediately ended the constant violence and thefts.

Also 'unattended kids' aren't a key demographic at malls, they don't really have money, parents just treat it like a free childcare type place to drop off their kids.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

loving :lol:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Yoga studio?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what's updog?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

what's updog?

20 Blunts posted:

Yoga studio?

Yeah, they rope you in with the cute name and then the enshittification hammer comes down.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

big mean giraffe posted:

Also 'unattended kids' aren't a key demographic at malls, they don't really have money, parents just treat it like a free childcare type place to drop off their kids.

They should gate off the malls to people who can demonstrate wealth like Fallout New Vegas.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

what's updog?

nm whats updog w/ you?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Internet Old One posted:

They should gate off the malls to people who can demonstrate wealth and let them collapse into dust like Fallout New Vegas.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1772364888716816776

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:psyduck:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Yeah I mostly just use it to take my kids to soccer practice / ballet but I feel so safe in it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Glass technology is so outdated

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I dunno where this ends. I've seen SUVs so big in lots they're parked in on either side. I dunno if they're getting in and out through the back hatch or what.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

serious question: why do americans love gigantic cars? america has incredibly cheap petrol compared to developed countries but insists on having huge cars so it works out similarly expensive.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Marketing idk.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Quote-Unquote posted:

serious question: why do americans love gigantic cars? america has incredibly cheap petrol compared to developed countries but insists on having huge cars so it works out similarly expensive.

We're exceptionally stupid, OP.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Toxic masculinity, overcompensating for insecurity.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quote-Unquote posted:

1) Yes, definitely marketing. Tough guy cowboy poo poo.
2) Small dicks.
3) Status symbol.
4) Substandard education system.
5) 'murica!
6)........
7)........
8)........
117) They need it for work or to actually haul stuff.

edit: My Subaru Forester, an SUV, has a smaller footprint than both a Toyota Camry and Corolla.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

bossy lady posted:

Yeah I mostly just use it to take my kids to soccer practice / ballet but I feel so safe in it

That part wasn't a joke. I've heard literally exactly that from multiple people. It's an arms race. The only safe vehicle is the one that flattens the other vehicle.

Time_pants posted:

We're exceptionally stupid, OP.

That part's true too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
All our infrastructure is insanely overbuilt for cars on our ridiculously inefficiently used land, and so a reasonable-sized car seems tiny compared to our giant lanes and wide shoulders. If we had to drive through the narrow streets of ancient-rear end European cities that were designed originally for humans or, at best, horses, we'd probably want smaller cars.

But mostly it's toxic masculinity, op. It's all part of the same insane culture that causes some dudes to own like 40 firearms of various sizes and keep them unsecured all around their suburban home so that they're always ready to mercilessly execute any potential invader.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wash bucket posted:

That part wasn't a joke. I've heard literally exactly that from multiple people. It's an arms race. The only safe vehicle is the one that flattens the other vehicle.

100% A WHOLE lot of people think that they're safer in a bigger car and you have to have a bigger car than whoever you're going to crash into so it just keeps pushing them bigger and bigger.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Quote-Unquote posted:

They're more comfortable and easier to carry lots of poo poo around in? The only reasons to get a smaller car are that they're cheaper (mitigated by cheap gas in USA) or that they're easier to get around and park in small roads and lots (mitigated by USA cities being designed for cars).

Also Americans will drive 100 miles for a commute or to get an especially good burrito, whereas Europeans won't drive 100 miles unless a week+ vacation is involved, so Americans place a higher priority on how comfortable their cars are.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 26, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

They're more comfortable and easier to carry lots of poo poo around in? The only reasons to get a smaller car are that they're cheaper (mitigated by cheap gas in USA) or that they're easier to get around and park in small roads and lots (mitigated by USA cities being designed for cars).

You got an F-150 or 250?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You got an F-150 or 250?

I have a Maverick because I'm a cheap rear end but I'm not going to pretend that it's not a significant compromise in comfort to have a smaller vehicle.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

wash bucket posted:

So it's like Mad Max but you're advised not to get addicted to affordable healthcare?

Cerekk posted:

They're more comfortable and easier to carry lots of poo poo around in?

How much poo poo do you need to carry on a regular basis?

More comfortable, maybe, yeah, but unless you're an elephant that can't fit in a ford puma or something you'll be fine.

Cerekk posted:

Americans will drive 100 miles for a commute or to get an especially good burrito, whereas Europeans won't drive 100 miles unless a week+ vacation is involved, so Americans place a higher priority on how comfortable their cars are.

This makes sense actually.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also does anyone have the video from a truck waiting at maybe a stop light, when it later shows there was an entire Corvette hiding in the blind spot in front of it?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You got an F-150 or 250?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cerekk posted:

I have a Maverick because I'm a cheap rear end but I'm not going to pretend that it's not a significant compromise in comfort to have a smaller vehicle.

I recently got a job with a long rear end commute so I bought a 4 cylinder car to replace my truck. The car is a million times better. It's faster, more responsive, more comfortable, and cheaper to fill the tank. The only downside is now people keep trying to merge into me because they don't see me.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

holy gently caress lol

you can't even get into your car without toddler steps
you can't see the engine without a stepladder
putting things into the truck bed must require help from friends!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mobby_6kl posted:

Also does anyone have the video from a truck waiting at maybe a stop light, when it later shows there was an entire Corvette hiding in the blind spot in front of it?

When they say to attack and dethrone god, this is the vehicle you're supposed to attack with.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A not insignificant factor in Amercans' buying of big-rear end vehicles are that light trucks (eg pickups and SUVs) are exempt from certain regulations that cars have to meet with regards to fuel economy. This incentivizes manufacturers to make vehicles that don't need to meet those standards.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's a great way to tell everyone you have a micro-peen before you even climb out of your truck

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Here's the cheapest one I found near me too. The payment is like $3600 a month

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rochallor posted:

A not insignificant factor in Amercans' buying of big-rear end vehicles are that light trucks (eg pickups and SUVs) are exempt from certain regulations that cars have to meet with regards to fuel economy. This incentivizes manufacturers to make vehicles that don't need to meet those standards.

that actually explains a lot, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rochallor posted:

RIP Honda Fit.