Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

explosivo posted:

This is a bit disappointing to hear, honestly. Is like the entire main quest of the game you doing the jobs for the guy in the capital? I've been playing for ~12 hours and it's hard to tell if I'm barely through the intro or halfway (or more) through the entire game at this point.

Fwiw I've played for more than 40 hours and have only just gotten to the second region in the game. I guess it depends on how much the combat, exploration, and bumbling around for side quests appeals to you though.

I appreciate that going "huh what's over there?" can sometimes reward you heavily, like unlocking a vocation way earlier than it feels like you're supposed to.

I also think the story has been pretty engaging so far. It's way more coherent and interesting than DD1 which isn't a high bar to clear, but I think it does a good job of fleshing out the world and characters. It has a strong hook at the start and I like the angle of surreptitiously getting your ducks in a row in order to unseat a usurper and present a valid claim to the throne. It's a little generic but still neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Dragons dogma 2 is one of the best games for densely packed exploration. The world is big but every nook and cranny holds something interesting to find or do, so it's not like a Bethesda game where 90% of the big map is empty space with the occasional copy paste cave/bandit hideout/whatever.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
just an fyi you can get the same pawn quest reward multiple times

so if you find a pawn that has a trade for like a goblin horn and they'll give you 10,000 gold you can hire them, give them the item and get the gold, send them back and do it again lol

Inzombiac posted:

So... Mystic Spearhand is bugged, huh?
I can't get any of the Bolt skills to work or the basic spear spin, either.

yeah i wasn't able to get them to work either. good to know it's not just me being uniquely bad at pressing buttons

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 26, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the biggest plus in DD2's favor as an open world experience is that it engenders a real sense of "am i going too far into the wilderness" that very few other games manage to hit

my hands down favorite experience with the game is that i decided i wanted to go to battahl before the main quest eventually sends you there, and i'd missed most of the other ways to get into it, so i poked my nose around and found a tunnel that started leading me south, followed by an insane gauntlet of large monsters, followed by an incredibly steep descent into a valley, followed by me desperately trying to figure out where the gently caress the capital city was and praying that i could either find a riftstone or stumble onto a portcrystal. that whole experience - the tension and the experience of feeling hopelessly lost and potentially out my depth - is something you can only get when you really turn the thumbscrews on mechanics like fast travel and make the world genuinely treacherous to explore

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It really is fuckin' wild how, as I'm closing in on Level 40, so many of the players are putting up pawns around that level with no specialization, bad vocation skills, no Pawn quest, and dogshit starting equipment. Whoever these people are, I am not going to hire their tiny hot gal in booty shorts, she's garbage.

Also, is the MainPawn thing a joke that I'm missing or...?

Edit: just discovered the MainPawn thing is what happens when you don't set a pawn name and only set a moniker.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 26, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Could you use wakestones to revive quest NPCs in DD1? I only just did it during the Death Do Us Part quest. Kinda panicked and was like "gently caress, the guy I came all this way to save just died" but then saw the revive prompt. It was awesome seeing a quest pop-up saying "this guy has died" followed by another that was basically "oh nevermind lol." I was really impressed by the forgery mechanic in DD1 for some of the ways you could double-complete quests or have other weird outcomes. Being able to revive dead NPCs mid-quest if you happen to have the right item onhand is another really fun mechanic for an RPG.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Phlegmish posted:

I think it is, but I was confused at first as well. When you consume the beetle, you will notice only your Arisen's carry weight going down, but that's just because the beetle itself weighs something. If you look at the encumbrance limit under Status, it does actually go up for both the Arisen and the main pawn.

I checked it against the carry weights in Status when I got my first bug to check exactly this, and it does indeed increase carry weight for both of you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Could you use wakestones to revive quest NPCs in DD1? I only just did it during the Death Do Us Part quest. Kinda panicked and was like "gently caress, the guy I came all this way to save just died" but then saw the revive prompt. It was awesome seeing a quest pop-up saying "this guy has died" followed by another that was basically "oh nevermind lol." I was really impressed by the forgery mechanic in DD1 for some of the ways you could double-complete quests or have other weird outcomes. Being able to revive dead NPCs mid-quest if you happen to have the right item onhand is another really fun mechanic for an RPG.

frequently. my favorite is when you can confront a bad guy and kill him in single combat, then rez him and go "get your born-again backside to prison, fucko"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I unlocked wayfarer and accidentally unlocked mystic archer at the same time.

Wayfarer ....I can't see how to change weapon, or equip multiple weapons. I am on xbox.

I am going to use 2 magic spearmen skills (the shield and the rush attack) and will be my main source of damage. Then illusory walls from the trickster and maybe the electric nuke from the sorcer.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It really is fuckin' wild how, as I'm closing in on Level 40, so many of the players are putting up pawns around that level with no specialization, bad vocation skills, no Pawn quest, and dogshit starting equipment. Whoever these people are, I am not going to hire their tiny hot gal in booty shorts, she's garbage.

Edit: just discovered the MainPawn thing is what happens when you don't set a pawn name and only set a moniker.

I’m mid 20s and haven’t found any specialization books yet, so they might be in my boat given how obscure DD can be about things— but the rest is pretty dumb yeah.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Thanks everyone for contributing to the "get my pawn a cool pair of specs" fund. There was even enough left over for a metamorphosis item to treat her off-putting chipmunk voice.

Girlfraans!

Pawn's listed on the google doc in the first page. Name's Ciocie. She wears a shawl sometimes and radiates old lady energy. Maybe she needs some dope sunglasses too, I dunno.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Solo run is going...interesting. I think weight is going to be a REAL problem and I don't have any solutions to deal with it yet, other than to travel extremely light and play carefully. Probably should have picked something that doesn't have as heavy equipment but fighter is the best class and thus I will play it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Solo run is going...interesting. I think weight is going to be a REAL problem and I don't have any solutions to deal with it yet, other than to travel extremely light and play carefully. Probably should have picked something that doesn't have as heavy equipment but fighter is the best class and thus I will play it

magick archer feels like the best choice for when you can get it, since you have a combination of a rock solid skill set and can benefit from elven enhancements to cut down on weight on further

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

i mean i haven't put a specialization on danny cause i haven't gotten a good one. i don't want him to use curatives on my main pawn and i'm not a fan of logistician. i haven't unlocked anything else personally yet and i'm level 35.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I found a house with what sure sounded like a quest to help some kid learn magic... But am given no quest. I tried resting and coming back in morning.

I broke down and looked up the NPC and there is a quest but there's a note on the wiki that the quest sometimes fails automatically if you do it after ?? (Literally it says ??) And idk if I did ??. I'm sure I've missed a dozen other quests but this one feels like I should help, I know spear magic.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The guards are having a meeting on top of the dragon (that I did 95% of the damage to, mind you). I'm standing on the corpse of the only person who died, who happens to be Brant. Things are going great!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vermain posted:

magick archer feels like the best choice for when you can get it, since you have a combination of a rock solid skill set and can benefit from elven enhancements to cut down on weight on further

Magick Archer is cool and good but if you actually let goblins or whatever get close to you you'll end up getting stunlocked forever super easily and there's not much you can do but look for an opening to run away.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Specializations don't seem that important, but its extremely lol when I see a level 30 mage with anodyne and levin.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

I found a house with what sure sounded like a quest to help some kid learn magic... But am given no quest. I tried resting and coming back in morning.

I broke down and looked up the NPC and there is a quest but there's a note on the wiki that the quest sometimes fails automatically if you do it after ?? (Literally it says ??) And idk if I did ??. I'm sure I've missed a dozen other quests but this one feels like I should help, I know spear magic.

I suspect a lot of stuff on the wiki at the moment is pretty much pure speculation.

Clocks posted:

The guards are having a meeting on top of the dragon (that I did 95% of the damage to, mind you). I'm standing on the corpse of the only person who died, who happens to be Brant. Things are going great!

I'm kind of curious as to what happens if Brant dies. Does the story just softlock until you res him or is there another way to progress?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The kid in the house doesn't give you the quest if her grandparents are in the room fyi. Idk if that's the problem, but I picked them up and set them outside and the kid was happy to beg for dangerous magickal grimoires.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SHISHKABOB posted:

The kid in the house doesn't give you the quest if her grandparents are in the room fyi. Idk if that's the problem, but I picked them up and set them outside and the kid was happy to beg for dangerous magickal grimoires.
oooh i was wondering why the most obvious sidequest never triggered

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I recommend everyone buy glasses as it hides your pawns red eyes when they get the plague

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what happens if Brant dies. Does the story just softlock until you res him or is there another way to progress?

I'm guessing the game expects you to rez him. Although I did see on reddit that (general mechanics spoilers?) if you rest for like an in-game week a lot of dead NPCs will revive. I haven't tested that myself though. I'm actually past the first chunk of main story quests so I'm not even sure I needed to rez him at the moment but I figured I probably should just in case.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What exactly changes when I do the (early-ish) coronation? Is it just like a "this is a big quest" thing or do I lose access to stuff?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shyrka posted:

This loving game.

Was making my first real foray to the west of the map, trying to make for Batahl.

Go into some random cave and find a little kid surrounded by wolves, he's all, "Oh did my grandfather send you to find me? I must get home!" and my pawn's all, "Yeah I know the way, c'mon master!"

Fucker wants to go all the way back to Vernworth!

whoa wow game of the century

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't lose access to anything as far as I could tell but also I finished most of the side quests before I did it. The ones I found, that is.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I like how you get mail at your house as you progress and finish quests.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

What exactly changes when I do the (early-ish) coronation? Is it just like a "this is a big quest" thing or do I lose access to stuff?

Some of my quests failed at that point but I couldn't tell you which ones. Other than that nothing really changes. You get access to the second region and can freely travel between them.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Battahl is cool looking and all but how in god's name does their city even function with this many monsters just strolling about on their main major trade thoroughfare? I had to butcher probably close to a hundred enemies just walking down the road. It gets real tedious after a while

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish Pawns would mark where they are taking you. Fucker wanted me to go to a goddamn town I coulda took an oxcart to and here I am somehow diving through 16 caves.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vermain posted:

Honestly the real killer is camping kits. I'm camping a LOT but those bitches weigh SO much. There's an elite kit like halfway through the game that I don't particularly want to speedrun to because it's past a lot of bullshit but it weighs like 2kg less than the other ones, which is a lot.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Vermain posted:

the biggest plus in DD2's favor as an open world experience is that it engenders a real sense of "am i going too far into the wilderness" that very few other games manage to hit

my hands down favorite experience with the game is that i decided i wanted to go to battahl before the main quest eventually sends you there, and i'd missed most of the other ways to get into it, so i poked my nose around and found a tunnel that started leading me south, followed by an insane gauntlet of large monsters, followed by an incredibly steep descent into a valley, followed by me desperately trying to figure out where the gently caress the capital city was and praying that i could either find a riftstone or stumble onto a portcrystal. that whole experience - the tension and the experience of feeling hopelessly lost and potentially out my depth - is something you can only get when you really turn the thumbscrews on mechanics like fast travel and make the world genuinely treacherous to explore

I had a very similar experience of this just making my way to the drat capital. I took a wrong turn and ended up on the East, desperately trying to find some kind of inn because it had been days and my pawns kept falling to their deaths stupidly, so my main pawn was gone along with my loving camping pack and it was getting dark. I had to die repeatedly to find a stone to get him back before I could even try to camp out as my max health had gone to 1/4th.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

johnny park posted:

Battahl is cool looking and all but how in god's name does their city even function with this many monsters just strolling about on their main major trade thoroughfare? I had to butcher probably close to a hundred enemies just walking down the road. It gets real tedious after a while

Vermund is no better, especially if you're just trying to get somewhere. Pack of goblins, lizard, pack of wolves, goblins, lizards, pack of harpies, ogre, lizards, lizards, lizards, goblins, thieves, wolves, ghosts, wolves. How anything gets done is a mystery.

A pack of thieves saw me clover a pack of goblins without stopping, attacked me anyway, and then wolves as soon as they cleared up. Wolves are the worst too because you can't just run past since they'll eat your mage and make you chase em down. They're annoying to fight because 90% of it is them running around. Just give me an aura that fries wolves.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the main quest take you to the elves or should I make my own way there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just did the quest with the kid who gets dragged off by wolves. Am I utterly blind or was there no glowing flowers heading to where the kid was? At the graveyard where the quest marker and my pawn led me I saw a trail going into a cave in the opposite direction, but that just led me back to town.

E: I had to look up a guide on where to go and it said "You'll see glowing flowers going in that direction" but I didn't see any show up until I was halfway towards the right direction.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leal posted:

Just did the quest with the kid who gets dragged off by wolves. Am I utterly blind or was there no glowing flowers heading to where the kid was? At the graveyard where the quest marker and my pawn led me I saw a trail going into a cave in the opposite direction, but that just led me back to town.

E: I had to look up a guide on where to go and it said "You'll see glowing flowers going in that direction" but I didn't see any show up until I was halfway towards the right direction.

when I did this quest, a pawn I had recruited knew exactly where to go, so I didn't have to pay attention to that one detail. Weird how it worked out differently for you. I was ultimately led to a cave with an item to pick up to return back to town.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does the main quest take you to the elves or should I make my own way there.

I don't think so, you should do the quest with the guy hanging out in the capitol city in front of the weapon shop

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like pawns can be kind of weird about quest knowledge because I also had one with quest knowledge on that quest, who led me to the graveyard after I already got the map marker for it, but when I got there they went "yeah there's nothing here Arisen" which really confused me until I also ended up looking it up because nothing else really made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ultrachrist posted:

Man, there's nothing quite like Dragon's Dogma. Even when it's frustrating, which is not infrequent, it hooks me into long sessions that more streamlined games never do.

I'm a person who generally has trouble playing "open" games like this and prefers very "directed" games with clear objectives. I expected to fall off of this quickly like I did with Elden Ring or the open world Zeldas. I think this is the first really "open" game I've really been hooked on.

I'm not even entirely sure why. I think it's a combination of the combat feeling more "tangible"* and the game generally being easier than, say, Elden Ring (so there isn't the same sense of constant tension). And the world still has more NPCs and quests than in the open world Zelda games.

* probably not coincidentally, I also got pretty into Monster Hunter World for a while. I like it when attacks feel "physical" and aren't just animations that create numbers.

Leal posted:

The cave is weirdly far away from where the quest sends you.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 26, 2024