Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

honda whisperer posted:

Get a torque wrench. All of you. Lug nuts HOLD YOUR WHEELS ON.
I have one and do the kastein method of overtightening by hand anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah I definitely overtighten and also check them after a while, never had a wheel come off. Happened to my dad in the 70s though, got passed by his own tire.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

honda whisperer posted:

You made this up. I dont believe you.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Cage posted:

I have one and do the kastein method of overtightening by hand anyway.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Save money on a torque wrench by just adding jb weld to the threads before you tighten

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

honda whisperer posted:

I had to buy a bigger one because the Mach e specs 150 lb ft of torque. Which caused my wife to ask me why I was using a torque wrench on my own wheels but never did on her car.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have almost only run nothing but steel wheels and changed my own wheels 100% of the time always tightened by feel, always greased the bolts and also the contact surfaces for the wheel.

But I am considering buying a torque wrench right now. Looking at a cheapo 40-210 nm model. Possibly complement later with a heavier and lighter model if needed. But I'm gonna be doing some suspension work so I'd like to know I'm in the ballpark.

Greasing the bolts would wildly change the appropriate torque spec wouldn't it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My wheels are old and crappy. I don't care if a couple fall off and I lose them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

VelociBacon posted:

It makes it easier to overtighten
The torque wrench will click later than it should.

Almost had a wheel fall off on me years ago. Sounded like a helicopter hovering right over my car. Since then I check twice after I change a tire(s) with the car on the ground,take it for a 10 minute drive, check again. Check the next day,ns then about a week later. Don't really pay attention to the kms I've driven though.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

VelociBacon posted:

Lubricated torque specs are almost always different, so yes. Adding any lubricant will usually change the prevailing torque, and it's just not necessary.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

Lubricated torque specs are almost always different, so yes. Adding any lubricant will usually change the prevailing torque, and it's just not necessary.

See also: anti-seize on spark plugs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Point is...you don't need a torque wrench calibrated to super tight tolerances such as a Snap-on (or whomever makes them). You want consistency across the criss-cross or star pattern which something like a HF will be more than happy to provide at these torque levels.

Now, if stranded changing a spare. Stand on the lug wrench and hear the creeeek. Move on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Now, if stranded changing a spare. Stand on the lug wrench and hear the creeeek. Move on.

Tighten until the lug stud yields and then back it off a few percent, gotcha

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

What I do with those nuts is not your business!

The other thing to consider is when overshooting the torque spec it stresses the lug stud, hub, nut, wheel, etc.

I kept three torque wrenches on board while on the road. Any time I rotated the tires on the vehicle it got torqued to spec and rechecked at 50 and then 150 miles. Outside of that? Most of the time I don't bother. My hands are pretty well calibrated. Other areas for whipping out the torque wrench is flywheel bolts, steering, suspension work, and brakes.

HF wrenches are ok enough for the home gamer. It's more important to develop good tool care and unwind its spring, don't leave it out in the rain, use it as a hammer or prybar, etc. Know that there's a range their good at. A 150ft-lb rated wrench is gonna be most accurate between 40 and 130ish ft-lb so don't use it for torquing down m6 coolant pump bolts. Get the inch pound jobbie for that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

VelociBacon posted:

I don't use a torque wrench and even if I got one I doubt I would use it on lug nuts, I'm used to go by feel there and will likely continue that practice. I'm interested in torque wrench for other stuff where I don't have a feel developed for how hard I ought to tighten. My future also likely holds other projects where it becomes even more important.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Safety Dance posted:

Are you implying that is an unsafe practice?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Safety Dance posted:

Soooo....... Chevette lugs?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I came into this thread to ask why my brakes might be shaking only once they're hot (I.e., they're fine for a while, but if you drive 30 miles in traffic, they'll shake bad as you get off the freeway), but I'm going to go make sure my lug nuts are tight before I actually ask.

I'm pretty sure they are, but ya know, feels like a sign.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

warped rotors

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I always just get my wheels snug, "rent" the torque wrench from autozone (I believe it's free), torque them in the parking lot, return the wrench, and continue on my merry way.
To be completely forthcoming, the first couple of times I did that, I had accidentally over-torqued by hand. I'm still kicking though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thank you! The downside is, I was just in there doing pads, and looked at the rotors and thought they looked pristine, so I didn't replace them, despite having a new set right there in the garage. The upside is, it means my new mechanic was right (he said front pads and rotors, I was doubting rotors) and that helps trust him :D

If I go back in to put in the rotors, do I need to replace the new (>50 miles) pads, or is it ok to put them back in?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have a 99 Camry with about 94000 miles. Intermittently the transmission will hesitate on upshifts. When it does this, it may also shudder a bit while driving a constant speed. Fluid is fine, but maybe a bit overfilled. What should be my first thing other than that to start looking at?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

When is the last time it was serviced?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I didn't have a problem with torquing by feel when most torque specs were 85-90 ft/lbs. Now that it's 120 for my truck, I'm older and weaker, and don't tighten two or three hundred lug nuts a week, I use a torque wrench. The HF one that stays in my truck is just as accurate as the Snap-On at home for this purpose.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

When is the last time it was serviced?

Absolutely no idea, and I'm assuming never (other than a fluid change, I would assume because it looks too good to be original).

edit: I only recently acquired the car and it had been sitting for 6-8 months.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Krakkles posted:

I came into this thread to ask why my brakes might be shaking only once they're hot (I.e., they're fine for a while, but if you drive 30 miles in traffic, they'll shake bad as you get off the freeway), but I'm going to go make sure my lug nuts are tight before I actually ask.

I'm pretty sure they are, but ya know, feels like a sign.

Warped rotors are exceedingly rare, I would lean more towards pad deposits. Go find a long empty stretch of road, get up to 60mph then brake HARD down to 5-10mph immediately accelerate back up to 60mph and do it again. Do this several times, say 5-6 to get a lot of heat into the brakes, then just cruise for a while with as little braking as possible to let things cool back down.

This will clean the pad and rotor surface and is generally referred to as bedding in brakes which is recommended when you put new pads on old rotors.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

sleepy gary posted:

Absolutely no idea, and I'm assuming never (other than a fluid change, I would assume because it looks too good to be original).

edit: I only recently acquired the car and it had been sitting for 6-8 months.

Start with a fluid change. My Vibe (toyota drivetrain, probably a very similar 4 speed auto) had similar symptoms albeit more mild at similar mileage, and a fluid change fixed it right up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't use a torque wrench and even if I got one I doubt I would use it on lug nuts, I'm used to go by feel there and will likely continue that practice. I'm interested in torque wrench for other stuff where I don't have a feel developed for how hard I ought to tighten. My future also likely holds other projects where it becomes even more important.

I will put a vote in for using a torque wrench for lug nuts too. I dont care how well you think you can do it without, the torque wrench will almost certainly be more accurate. Under- and over- tightening pose risks, so best to be as close as possible.

Just my two cents though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Just use the biggest most powerful impact wrench you can find and friction weld the loving things on like they do at the tire shop.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

sleepy gary posted:

Just use the biggest most powerful impact wrench you can find and friction weld the loving things on like they do at the tire shop.

https://i.imgur.com/VktlFGH.mp4

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

trilobite terror posted:

at least in the States most tire places include the re-torque

Yeah the tire shop I got the wheels from does the swapover and torque check for free, so Im letting them handle all of it.

Thanks for the info everyone! Ive put about 200 miles on since they tightened them again without any issue so fingers crossed there wont be any in the future.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ah yes, torque to yield.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

honda whisperer posted:

I have four of them. I use them on:
Axle nuts that set bearing preload
Flywheel bolts
Ring gear bolts
Pressure plate bolts
Bearing cap bolts
Head bolts

Basically anything that's very infrequently changed or checked and is super critical for bearing preload or similar reasons.

But lug nuts on a 35 year old poo poo box on studs that may have been used 20 times and the actual preload from those gummy old threads at spec torque may be a tenth what they intended? Nah. I'll go with my gut based on how much force it took to spin it down most of the way before it even contacted the wheel.

VelociBacon posted:

Yes.

It also varies by like 25% from plain steel to black oxide to zinc plated and all of those are available on the market depending on whether it's a OEM, new, or different company new part, so good luck picking what torque you're going to use I guess, people.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm usually one with the AI hive mind but I guess not here.

I've caught failing wheel studs maybe 5 times in my life by always using a torque wrench. Star pattern then around in a circle. One moves significantly again. Give it another.... Nope still turning. Would have passed a gud n tite.

It doesn't take that much longer. A lifetime of torquing lug nuts will never add up to waiting for a single tow truck.

For re-checking they're tight after your 5-7 year tire change? Quick check with the trunks wrench is fine.

For the AI goons that are wrenching constantly and already own a torque wrench? You're wrong and should feel bad.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Overtightening is not always safe.

I had an issue with thread loosening after durability and the fix was to decrease the target tightening torque. Of course, this is in an application with some thermal cycling but point is, sometimes things can be counterintuitive and potentially get you into trouble.

Also, it's always safe until the day it isn't. If the result of "it isn't" is "drat it I got a paper cut" then fine, keep doing that. If the result of "it isn't" is "my wheel fell off at 80 mph down a highway" then that's probably not what you want to gamble on. It's not about "under what conditions could I potentially undertoque my lug nuts and be safe" it's more like "does doing this raise my chances of the wheel falling off from basically zero (it's never zero, is it.. ) to not-basically-zero"? And the answer is yes. And do you want to find out just how many miles you might have to drive with those to run into a problem? No. You absolutely do not.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I would say that the vast majority of people who have ever changed a wheel never owned or used a torque wrench, and wheels dont fly off as often as the thread seems to imply.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I would say that the vast majority of people who have ever changed a wheel never owned or used a torque wrench, and wheels don’t fly off as often as the thread seems to imply.

Not that often, but it can be life ruining if it happens to you.

When it does go wrong it's brutal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tiresaretheenemy/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sure. But also *gestures at cars*

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I rarely torque my wheels. I do on my Cayenne, but Porsches are weird German beasts that prefer a little pampering - or they may bite.

In 45-years, I have had one wheel nearly fall off (on the Econoline; I caught it with 2-loose lug nuts, the rest were already gone) but that was due to my lack of familiarity with the American Racing mag wheels it came with; I had gotten rid of the weird 12-point narrow-head lugs for standard chromed hex lugs, and this was how I discovered that the wheel center hub casting was interfering with the barrel of my socket / impact wrench so they sounded tight when they weren't. I had to buy a set of thin-walled sockets. Also carefully ground down the five lobes on the aluminum center caps to insure they weren't interfering (the center-cap lobes stuck out further that the casting of the wheel itself).

I'm old. Maybe don't be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

The fuckin dealership actually did this during an oil change and then tried to say it was already like that and that I must have done it when I tried to change it myself, even though no one else had changed that cars oil but them. That's what spurred me changing my own oil for the first time and never bringing the car back to the dealership again unless it's to sell it or get a recall fixed for free. Fuckin scumbags.