Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

madmatt112 posted:

I kinda get the feeling that a good chunk of the establishment Democratic structure finally realizes that regardless of any politics, Trump and his ilk represent a clear and imminent threat to their country’s stability - and they’re taking the threat much more seriously this time around. Maybe that’s wishful thinking and they’re simply following the polling and focus groups as they are wont to do, but it smells different these days. It doesn’t feel like the libs are treating this like a rousing game of political jousting.

Pretty much. There are still some holdouts who are haunted by Reagan's ghost and want to act like its the 90s but they are a small and shrinking minority. Campaigns are figuring out that it's ok to be aggressive when the opposition has managed to replace empty suits with vapid, detestable empty suits. That said I don't think it's carried over into messaging on a lot of the big progressive causes yet. Those are mostly underwater on name recognition but the actual proposals poll well so I'm hoping someone starts to figure it out.

Also I legit thought that Guilfoyle(?) picture was a photoshop at first. I've been bamboozled too many times by this thread :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

it kinda amazes me that digital things seem to have trouble with usernames when real life doesnt.

like there's probably multiple humans named Don. J Trump but it doesnt cause problems. unless it does, lol at families where they have a grand parent, parent, and child all with the same first name(or more), and even then theres contextual stuff to figure things out.

In real life you could perhaps pull out a picture of a pig defecating on its own scrotum and show people, the joke would hit different though even with a shared celebrity name

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

priznat posted:

Good they did a bang up job for ol ronnie

the sonnenrad video got a lot of publicity

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

ragnarokette posted:

Pretty much. There are still some holdouts who are haunted by Reagan's ghost and want to act like its the 90s but they are a small and shrinking minority. Campaigns are figuring out that it's ok to be aggressive when the opposition has managed to replace empty suits with vapid, detestable empty suits. That said I don't think it's carried over into messaging on a lot of the big progressive causes yet. Those are mostly underwater on name recognition but the actual proposals poll well so I'm hoping someone starts to figure it out.

Also I legit thought that Guilfoyle(?) picture was a photoshop at first. I've been bamboozled too many times by this thread :argh:

I don’t know. Clinton ran on the whole “look at what a monster this man is, your kids are watching don’t gently caress this up” thing and it didn’t work, but I chalk that up to Dems in swing states not turning out for that election because they just had 8 years of Obama and incumbent parties just…don’t usually turn out. Also swing voters, whose number one reason for voting is usually “to give the other party a chance.”

I do think things will be different this time, but how and how much is…up in the air still? Either way, at least they look like they’re taking it seriously, which is a relief.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

jokes posted:

the courts dont think he can pay the $450mm and they want to hear the appeal. cases have to go to the trial court first and then hit appeals but almost always the appellate courts have more ego, and it's very important to them that everyone listens to them. also a ruling in appeals court carries more "weight", and more often than not appellate courts rule don't overturn or anything

???

The appeal still happens even if he does not post the bond, so why would that matter?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I meant to ask about this yesterday but I was lost in a delirium

I vividly remember the whole Blue Collar Comedy Tour era, but I don't think I ever understood what "Git 'er done" meant or was a reference to. If anything. I inferred it was some kind of non-specific, vaguely "manly" saying, which could be applied to a manual-labor job or any honorably hard aspect of one's life or maybe the Iraq War or whatever a MAN was supposed to be taking care of circa 2004. I remember one blogger had the masthead line "Do the Job" which I assumed was the same sort of thing. It never quite made sense to me but it never invited enough curiosity for me to try to find out any background.

But the above comment ("edgy") makes me wonder if there was some joke or reference that I've been missing this whole time? I feel like some nerd who's only just thought to ask why a blowjob involves sucking and are they the same thing

Yeah, it's basically the "redneck" pronunciation of "Get it done" to refer to the bolded. And it's mostly used to describe getting things done in a more ham-fisted drunk-dad-on-a-weekend kind of a way that doesn't involve much planning. My use of the term "edgy" was probably bad wording on my part. I mostly just meant to say that there are some people that still think its clever in 2024 because they left their brains in the early 2000s.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Machai posted:

???

The appeal still happens even if he does not post the bond, so why would that matter?

The Appeals court wanted to post in an Historic Thread. Now they have. Apparently, this is fine.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tek79 posted:

Yeah, it's basically the "redneck" pronunciation of "Get it done" to refer to the bolded. And it's mostly used to describe getting things done in a more ham-fisted drunk-dad-on-a-weekend kind of a way that doesn't involve much planning. My use of the term "edgy" was probably bad wording on my part. I mostly just meant to say that there are some people that still think its clever in 2024 because they left their brains in the early 2000s.

MY WIFE

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Okay I know we joked about that, but seriously IS someone from that campaign lurking the thread?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Asterite34 posted:

Okay I know we joked about that, but seriously IS someone from that campaign lurking the thread?

Yo tell Brandon to hurry up and legalize weed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Some of you guys are in for some existential shock when it comes out they're all sourced directly from reddit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you unmask them it means they stop posting :ssh:

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
jen psaki is guest posting that account

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1772275673349943392?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Sounds like Elon Musk took notes on how Truth Social was operated before he bumbled his way into buying Twitter.

Ok which one of you beautiful fuckers did this?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Holy poo poo

Get his rear end biden lol

Are we about to have a public flame war between candidates for the office of us president?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Jeremor posted:

Are we about to have a public flame war between candidates for the office of us president?

Every day we step closer to the "Peter Wiggin got enough upvotes to be elected president of Earth" timeline from Ender's Game.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I don’t know. Clinton ran on the whole “look at what a monster this man is, your kids are watching don’t gently caress this up” thing and it didn’t work.

theres a difference between "dangerous donald" and "deplorables", and calling him a broke fuckup and a loser while clowning on him in ways that make us suspect the social media person lurks this thread

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Asterite34 posted:

That account is just some random guy, not tied to any campaign.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol:

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I don’t know. Clinton ran on the whole “look at what a monster this man is, your kids are watching don’t gently caress this up” thing and it didn’t work, but I chalk that up to Dems in swing states not turning out for that election because they just had 8 years of Obama and incumbent parties just…don’t usually turn out. Also swing voters, whose number one reason for voting is usually “to give the other party a chance.”

I do think things will be different this time, but how and how much is…up in the air still? Either way, at least they look like they’re taking it seriously, which is a relief.

Hillary Clinton is also quantifiably one of the worst campaigners I've ever seen. Her loss record in the face of even light adversity is the stuff of legend.

The silver lining is microscopically thin but I'm pretty glad she's out of politics.

Now we just have to shore up the primaries so we stop nominating godawful candidates for president.

I'll say it! I'll say it right now. I miss Obama. Pepperidge farm remembers when election parties for liberals were over at like 9 pm and we could do shots at each other.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Loomered AGAIN!

:hmbol:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

lol you may want to sit down for this: it's definitely tied to the biden-harris campaign

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

:wrong:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/27/the-biden-campaign-now-wants-to-go-viral-00118344

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kamala is a secret poster

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pig poop balls is a classic piece of American art and I’m glad it was able to be shared on Truth Social

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Git'r done is the white trash version of yass queen

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think they may actually have hired someone under the age of 25 to run that account.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

withak posted:

I think they may actually have hired someone under the age of 25 to run that account.

under 25s don’t know dril

i would not be surprised if someone on their team is inside the thread as we speak

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Renreeja posted:

theres a difference between "dangerous donald" and "deplorables", and calling him a broke fuckup and a loser while clowning on him in ways that make us suspect the social media person lurks this thread

Ya Clinton took Trump seriously but also treated him seriously. You can't act like he's worthy of respect or attention and should mock him at every opportunity.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
RFK selects Nicole Shanahan as running mate. Aaron Rodgers walked back Sandy Hook denial for nothing...

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:lol: at going through a background check to lurk the TRUMP IS POOR thread

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Purgatory Glory posted:

RFK selects Nicole Shanahan as running mate. Aaron Rodgers walked back Sandy Hook denial for nothing...

guess he's gotta go back to claiming he plays for the Jets

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Purgatory Glory posted:

Who?

*checks*

The Bobblehead?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Yeah trying to paint your opponent as a bad person (uncouth, nasty, out of the norm) has only worked a couple times in presidential history, with the obvious example that come to mind of Nixon in 1960. But even there JFK ran as an optimistic agent of change.

There's also Obama in 2012, which might be the best example of a purely negative campaign but Romney was an especially off-putting figure with no natural base of support in the Republocan party.

Basically getting this personal with no political agenda meant to raise hope leaves you open to personal attacks as well, and it becomes a grudge fight that leaves both candidates with high negatives. If someone has a better example of this working I'd love to hear it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

last time i made a joke that seth meyer's writing team was probably reading this thread people threw a fit, like "duh these jokes are obvious" "wow seth meyers cool" kinda responses.

this thread sucks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1772275673349943392?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Sounds like Elon Musk took notes on how Truth Social was operated before he bumbled his way into buying Twitter.

Whatever goon did this, bless you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

like seth meyer's writing team

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
God Biden congratulating Trump on winning the Trump award was so good

Like just really playing the social media piano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016