Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It's gonna be a QTE a la Leon vs Krauser, but instead of knives it's slaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pollyanna posted:

It’s been long enough that I don’t actually remember the details of how true this was in Remake. What exactly did she say and/or do again?

Whether one would have preferred one option or another. As it is now, the ending is too ambiguous to even have that debate in the first place.

Pretty explicitly she knew in the first game that she has to die to connect to the lifestream. And she passed that info on to Marlene, hence Marlene spilling the beans to Zack in ZackSpace. She knew because she learned it from Aerith.

Granted - a lot of this is conjecture or having to read between the lines based on her behavior, but she knew people's names and who they were before they were introduced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7f5BcnUdGY

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DeathSandwich posted:

Pretty explicitly she knew in the first game that she has to die to connect to the lifestream. And she passed that info on to Marlene, hence Marlene spilling the beans to Zack in ZackSpace. She knew because she learned it from Aerith.

Granted - a lot of this is conjecture or having to read between the lines based on her behavior, but she knew people's names and who they were before they were introduced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7f5BcnUdGY

She knew she was going to die, not that she had to. Those are very different things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s more than I thought, drat. I wish they did more with that instead of ditching it after Remake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ardryn posted:

The flowers were alive in the church during the Intergrade ending stinger with him, but we don't know how much time passed after that and him meeting Elymra etc. I assume him rescuing coma-Aerith happened fairly soon after that scene.

Notably, the Intergrade stinger can’t have happened in any of the worlds we see. Zack arrives at Midgar with Cloud in tow, all beat up from his fight with the Shinra troopers, and immediately goes to see the news report where he sees Aerith unconscious. In the Intergrade stinger, he shows up at her church all cleaned up, with the expectation that she’d be there. That can’t have happened in any of the realities we see—there’s just no point at which Zack would think Aerith would be at her church because she’s in a coma the whole time he’s in Midgar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

That’s more than I thought, drat. I wish they did more with that instead of ditching it after Remake.

That Aerith, the one who knows the future, clearly still exists—she’s the one who takes Cloud on the dream date. I don’t think it’s dropped, it’s just there’s a whole other game left to pay things off in.

Aerith may have lost her foreknowledge, but she has it back by the end of Rebirth. Marlene still knows everything Aerith showed her, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 26, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

It's gonna be a QTE a la Leon vs Krauser, but instead of knives it's slaps.

An extended tightly choreographed QTE sequence with multiple variations like the Parade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

That Aerith, the one who knows the future, clearly still exists—she’s the one who takes Cloud on the dream date. I don’t think it’s dropped, it’s just there’s a whole other game left to pay things off in.

Aerith may have lost her foreknowledge, but she has it back by the end of Rebirth. Marlene still knows everything Aerith showed her, too.

I'm pretty sure that's the same Aerith. She has the White Materia there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the same Aerith. She has the White Materia there.

Yeah I guess whether that’s a different Aerith or not, she does get her White Materia, and therefore foreknowledge, back by the end of Rebirth. I’m sure that still has a role to play. They made a pretty big deal out of Cloud bringing it back to her.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought dream date Aerith got merc’d by Sephiroth after she kicked Cloud down the portal.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Honestly, a lot of the stuff involving Aerith from the end of Chapter 13 onward is really hard to make sense of. Aerith and Cloud both woke up in essentially prologue Zack's continuity in the unconscious bodies of those version of themselves. The Aerith there knows more things than she usually does, and even acts pretty different. Does she act different because she knows things? Does she know things because she's got the white materia? I think the game is purposefully vague about what conclusions you can draw. Then Cloud gives the white materia to the Aerith of the main timeline (who may or may not be the same Aerith that he got it from to begin with), but this happens in another abstract dream-like version of the Sleeping Forest where he's being beset by whispers while he's also unconscious as far as the rest of the party is concerned. But Aerith apparently wasn't unconscious like he was, so... ????

Anyway hope they clear this up in interviews and just completely ignore this in the text of Part 3 so that the discussion never ends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dream Aerith’s whole “Thanks Cloud. For everything” is like the one scene in Rebirth that feels like it’s coming from a character who has experienced ‘the original FF7’.

Forest dream Aerith is def just Rebirth Aerith though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I do suspect forest dream Aerith is Rebirth Aerith because original Aerith basically did the same thing sans white materia weirdness. Just feels less clear cut because of the previous Dream Aerith interaction.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We are rapidly careening into Bigger Aerith Theory territory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I thought dream date Aerith got merc’d by Sephiroth after she kicked Cloud down the portal.

Dream Date Aerith and Dream Date Cloud are both implied to be the main timeline version of the characters inhabiting the comatose bodies of their versions in that timeline. Like both of them are comatose -> fall into the pit -> wake up in the Dream World versions of their bodies.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not sure if it's been discussed much but I think the Weapons are interesting for a few reasons.
1: They can carry people in the materia (kinda doubt it'll happen again) and release them freely- like one of them ate Tifa to show her the lifestream early, makes me wonder why a weapon would want to do that
2: Sephiroth actually struggled to injure one, like actual scowl and 'poo poo I need both hands' and even then he couldn't kill it just put a nick in it's fin.
3: They bleed Whispers of both white and black when cut

I don't really get the ending scene with them just going 'piss off ghosts' but it may just be that really.

Also noticed that Sephiroth never talks to anyone but Cloud- and finally Aerith in the temple where he and her get into a verbal argument and Aeriths voice becomes echo-y and booming and she starts glowing green for some reason (it is never addressed why was she glowing). Sephiroth in general is just really interesting to me. In Remake if you got Tifa in the fight vs him he'll utter 'Garbage' under his breath or something similar, and dude has it mad out for her specifically all through this game

E: Just to make sure people remember Red and Aerith at the hotel under Junon right? How the whispers were sapping Aeriths brain while sapping Holy too? It wasn't dropped really, the whispers just stole it from her taking the foresight away

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 26, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Either way, I think the important thing is that Aerith got her foreknowledge back. Wherever she is now, whatever her current state of existence is, she's got her prophetic knowledge back and can continue to act on it. (From within the lifestream, or hopping between worlds, or whatever happens.)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't really get the ending scene with them just going 'piss off ghosts' but it may just be that really.

It almost looked like the two Weapons were fusing together or something--they were glowing and spiraling upwards. Maybe they're fusing, or maybe they're transforming into the Weapons we recognize, or something like that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 26, 2024

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

maybe he knows that tifa is the key to cloud piecing his mind back together. see also: gaslighting cloud into thinking that tifa is jenova and almost killing her

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Either way, I think the important thing is that Aerith got her foreknowledge back. Wherever she is now, whatever her current state of existence is, she's got her prophetic knowledge back and can continue to act on it. (From within the lifestream, or hopping between worlds, or whatever happens.)

Actually, here's a question: do we know if Aerith got her foreknowlege back? Basically everything she does after getting the white materia from Cloud is stuff she also does in the original game. Unless we presume that original Aerith also had foreknowledge, there's not really any indication that Aerith has any more or less knowledge than she did before she got it back, is there? Maybe I forgot something.

(This is ignoring final battle Aerith who is an anomaly in her own way and will not be considered for this foreknowledge question.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just Andi Now posted:

Actually, here's a question: do we know if Aerith got her foreknowlege back? Basically everything she does after getting the white materia from Cloud is stuff she also does in the original game. Unless we presume that original Aerith also had foreknowledge, there's not really any indication that Aerith has any more or less knowledge than she did before she got it back, is there? Maybe I forgot something.

(This is ignoring final battle Aerith who is an anomaly in her own way and will not be considered for this foreknowledge question.)

That's a curious question because if you're believing the game as just a remake, then FF7 Aerith also would have had that knowledge because she also had the White Materia. It's not super clear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

I'm basing this largely on the fact that Aerith herself links the loss of her foreknowledge with the White Materia becoming clear, so it seems likely that returning the power to the White Materia would also return her foreknowledge. But we also don't really get to see her do much beyond praying and getting stabbed after she gets it back so I suppose it's speculation.

ImpAtom posted:

That's a curious question because if you're believing the game as just a remake, then FF7 Aerith also would have had that knowledge because she also had the White Materia. It's not super clear.

I think it might be more along the lines of a "reimagining" with its own separate canon. What's canon to the Remake trilogy isn't necessarily canon to the original, and vice versa. Or at least that's how I'm approaching it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I thought the whole deal at the end with the multiverse poo poo was very straightforward, Sephiroth’s goal is to use the Reunion of Worlds to manifest his Stand,「DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP」

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Just Andi Now posted:

In the final cutscene, Aerith references stopping Meteor which hasn't happened yet in that timeline. She could be fatalistic about Sephiroth succeeding, but I think that's unlikely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Speaking of Sephiroth’s master plan is his whole thing about “doing it for the sake of the planet” new? I admit og Sephiroth’s plan does not stick out in my mind at all so maybe I just forgot about that part of it.

I like it though, it’s the aspect of the whole duality thing they do between Aerith and Sephiroth that I think works best.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

His plan in the OG was that meteor would cause such a grievous wound to the planet that the lifestream would concentrate all in one place, which he and Jenova could then suck up like a big old soul smoothie to become gods. At some point he also got very confused about whether jenova was actually an ancient or not, and more than anything else he was driven purely by being Cloud’s #1 hater and wanting to gently caress that guy over as much as he possibly could.

Part of this is also, are people still on the “three sephiroths” train? I remember that being a very popular theory in the wake of 7R.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At the end when they showed that scene of all the black robes leaving Nibelheim, could the people see the whispers, too? It would be kind of neat if everyone could see them now and not just the main characters.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It sure looked like the guy on the balcony was reacting to the whispers and not the black robe guys, yeah

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Part of this is also, are people still on the “three sephiroths” train? I remember that being a very popular theory in the wake of 7R.

The "four sephiroths" theory was something brought up in FFVII Remake's Ultimania, which was probably why it got brought up a lot. Since it's not explicitly part of Remake's or Rebirth's text proper (although also not directly contradicted by it?) there's a chance it still applies if the developers haven't changed their mind.

EDIT: I don't have an actual copy of this myself, so I can only trust this person's translation, but... (it's a thread, naturally)
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1256217127457099776

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 26, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

At the end when they showed that scene of all the black robes leaving Nibelheim, could the people see the whispers, too? It would be kind of neat if everyone could see them now and not just the main characters.

People could see the Whispers before, the party is surprised Cissnei could see them in Gongaga. At least the ones Sephiroth seems to be manipulating appear to be visible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think most people still can't see them, but Cissnei could. So could Rufus. There's a part in Rebirth where he asks Tseng "what do you make of all this," referring to the Whispers, and Tseng's response ignores the Whispers entirely, which Rufus has a reaction to.

Unclear why Rufus and Cissnei can see them, though that's clearly something important.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ultimanias are very fake and should never be trusted, so the ‘3 Seph’ theory was always on shaky grounds.

I kinda believed that highway Seph coulda been a different guy but Rebirth has way more Seph scenes and they all seem to be the same person so it doesn’t really hold up imo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SyntheticPolygon posted:

An extended tightly choreographed QTE sequence with multiple variations like the Parade.

It'll be the 3d brawler minigame but with a tighter time window and jiggle physics

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Notably, the Intergrade stinger can’t have happened in any of the worlds we see. Zack arrives at Midgar with Cloud in tow, all beat up from his fight with the Shinra troopers, and immediately goes to see the news report where he sees Aerith unconscious. In the Intergrade stinger, he shows up at her church all cleaned up, with the expectation that she’d be there. That can’t have happened in any of the realities we see—there’s just no point at which Zack would think Aerith would be at her church because she’s in a coma the whole time he’s in Midgar.

The interesting thing I thought was in the ZackVerse, Cloud explicitly vanished from the defeated protagonist group (I'm pretty sure you hear them calling it on the radio during the Zack intro) functionally at the same time Zack was dragging his rear end into the city. So there could also be some goofy dimension thing happening from that direction, or potentially stupider, a whole-rear end second protagonist Cloud in hiding in the ZackVerse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love how Sephiroth is so mad at Omni-Aerith, just like "You cheating bitch, I can't just go to another world and grab the Black Materia and bring it back here. You can't just pass things through timelines!"

So I think we have 3-4 states of Aerith in FFVII-3

1. Aerith exists only in other-world sections
Likelihood - Very, it's a very easy way to continue FFVII without having her around while making it clear that she's still there.
2. Aerith rejoins the party post Cloud reconstructing his brain.
Likelihood - Unlikely. Even though I'm of the opinion the reconstructing of his brain WILL involve figuring out the fate of Aerith, I don't think she's coming back to the main party until
3. Aerith will be involved in the final battle vs Sephrioth in the end game
Likelihood - Almost absolutely. That is when the fuckery is all going down, it's gonna happen then
4. Aerith is not playable and outside of her original FF7 stuff is not present
Likelihood - Not. This isn't happening, I think if you think this you're crazy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
If I remember correctly, Aerith talks about her white materia being clear and mentions that the whispers also "stole her memories". She has been established to have all her memories of the past in this timeline/universe/dimension, though, so I feel like she's referring to the "This poo poo happened before" memories. Somehow, Aerith has memories of previous/future/concurrent events. But the Whispers took that from her. I think that's the strongest case of this still being a sequel, unless they are going with "All Aeriths have knowledge of all other universes happening concurrently in the Lifestream because Cetra" or something.

I'm still on team-Revive materia for Final Fantasy 7:Resurrection

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Nanaki’s gold saucer date has him explicitly state thst he and Aerith were able to see the future while they were in midgar and they lost that ability after the freeway battle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aerith is (probably) down, but definitely not out. They’ll still have Aerith around in some playable form, cuz they put a lot of work and effort into her assets, her mechanics, her character, and her story. I can’t see Square-Enix not taking advantage of existing material.

Then again, OG FF7 made a point of her death being quote-unquote “meaningless”, so dropping all of that on the floor could be an extension of it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Aerith the party member is quite down and dead. Aerith the life stream queen is having the time of her life and just took a round from Lifestream Sephiroth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd be shocked if we didn't have playable Aerith at some point in part 3, probably alongside Zack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I wonder if she gets new sun glasses due to being dead.