Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Think they’re gonna finish in 3 parts or they going overtime to FF7R part 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There’s not exactly a whole lot of FF7 left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Think they’re gonna finish in 3 parts or they going overtime to FF7R part 4

Disc 2 isn't as long as Disc 1 and Disc 3 is just the last dungeon and FMVs. One more game is all they need

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There’s not exactly a whole lot of FF7 left.

Probably part of the reason why they expanded the Wutai stuff so much.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 4: Unlikely

However...

Final Fantasy 7 2!

Now THERE'S a spicy meatball.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’ve been playing final fantasy 7 2 for 2 games already

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I've never been able to get my head around this "it's a sequel" thing. It just seems like a retelling with a twist. I don't have the deep lore from all of the terrible FF7 expanded universe things and mobile games tho.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The third game being called ff7 2 is not that strange when you consider kingdom hearts 3 is like the 20th game in the series

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I've never been able to get my head around this "it's a sequel" thing. It just seems like a retelling with a twist. I don't have the deep lore from all of the terrible FF7 expanded universe things and mobile games tho.

There are multiple scenes where characters seem to have foreknowing or flash forward to the original game in some fashion. It could be precognition but there are times it seems explicitly divorced from the Remake version of things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

There are multiple scenes where characters seem to have foreknowing or flash forward to the original game in some fashion. It could be precognition but there are times it seems explicitly divorced from the Remake version of things.

Just seems like meta poo poo to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Just seems like meta poo poo to me.

I mean it could be but there are plenty of examples of stories that use that meta stuff as as stealth sequels, from Valkyrie Profile: SIlmeria to Scott Pilgrim Strikes Back, which is why people are assuming it might be something here.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Got a Q that I didn't see answered in the in-game manual: how do you raise the level of your weapon? Just have to use it a bunch?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trip Hazard posted:

Got a Q that I didn't see answered in the in-game manual: how do you raise the level of your weapon? Just have to use it a bunch?

It is determined but how many SP you've acquired.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Trip Hazard posted:

It’s just based on Skill points, which you gain from leveling or obtaining skill books. You can see how many more you need to reach the next weapon level on the Upgrade weapons tab

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Ahh, good stuff. Cheers!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yup Glide de Chocobo is poo poo. First game I haven't tried to get the best rank on. It's shiiiitttttt

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The gliding will continue until morale improves.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JBP posted:

The entire gimmick is reliant on the player knowing that it’s doing things differently from the original game, you don’t really need to know all the expanded universe bullshit to recognise that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

What party/weapon level are higher level limit breaks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The entire gimmick is reliant on the player knowing that it’s doing things differently from the original game, you don’t really need to know all the expanded universe bullshit to recognise that.

That's not a sequel.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

GateOfD posted:

What party/weapon level are higher level limit breaks

Pretty sure you can use lv2 limit breaks as soon as you get a synergy to boost your limit level. There's a level 3 you can unlock around the end of the game in terms of party level.

E: I hit lv60 and the protorelic end fights were much more palatable. While I wasn't a huge fan of all the stuff you had to do in each area, the questline was entertaining and had a great payoff. The soundtrack was top tier.

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 26, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JBP posted:

That's not a sequel.

Cool so what would you call a story that relies on you knowing a previous story (or even knowing that there was a previous story at all) to be able to properly understand it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cool so what would you call a story that relies on you knowing a previous story (or even knowing that there was a previous story at all) to be able to properly understand it?

My mate is playing the game fresh with no previous final fantasy experience and understands it fine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Send in the Clowns is not fun! It’s the opposite of fun, actually! Who the gently caress designed this?????

Edit: the tonberries are real fuckers but the Joker/Gigantoad fight is worse somehow. But I guess you can stop/sleep/whatever the Jokers and focus on the toad first. In general I need to do more damage, quicker.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 26, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

JBP posted:

My mate is playing the game fresh with no previous final fantasy experience and understands it fine.

Not weighing in on sequel speculation but most sequels can be understood just fine through the power of context clues, that doesn't make them not part of a series.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mycot posted:

Not weighing in on sequel speculation but most sequels can be understood just fine through the power of context clues, that doesn't make them not part of a series.

I just see the game as a retelling. It's not a chronological follow on. I guess in final fantasy it has sequels that aren't connected so anything can be a sequel and nothing matters, so who cares.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Send in the Clowns is not fun! It’s the opposite of fun, actually! Who the gently caress designed this?????

Edit: the tonberries are real fuckers but the Joker/Gigantoad fight is worse somehow. But I guess you can stop/sleep/whatever the Jokers and focus on the toad first. In general I need to do more damage, quicker.

Yeah Joker/Gigantoad is the hardest part. Tonberry part is actually the easiest if you equip Safety Bits on everyone. For stage 4 killing the gigantoad quickly and then whittling down the Jokers was how I cleared it, but that's easier said than done.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly to me it definitely seems more like precognition rather than anything meta. It’s really not that out of the ordinary for Final Fantasy, especially since the very first one had time loop shenanigans.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Yeah I’m not on team sequel. Just because some characters have prophetic powers doesn’t mean they’re from the future or that it’s a sequel to anything. It’s just a different angle on the story and a retelling/reimagining with some new concepts.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Yeah I’m not on team sequel. Just because some characters have prophetic powers doesn’t mean they’re from the future or that it’s a sequel to anything. It’s just a different angle on the story and a retelling/reimagining with some new concepts.

Yep, to me this is just FFVII expanded, with a heavier focus on the nature of the planet, the Lifestream, and its battle with the Jenova/Sephiroth infection.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon both rule what the hell are people on about?

Also Glide de Chocobo was challenging but not nearly as dick twisting as people made it out to be. Stage 3 maybe took me 4 or 5 tries once I figured out the timing on the opening.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kongming posted:

Yeah Joker/Gigantoad is the hardest part. Tonberry part is actually the easiest if you equip Safety Bits on everyone. For stage 4 killing the gigantoad quickly and then whittling down the Jokers was how I cleared it, but that's easier said than done.

It turned out standing behind a lustrous shield and dumping a bunch of comets on the tonberries works really well!

Putting the Jokers to sleep and then spamming Blizzara in a Radiant Ward killed the toad pretty quickly. It’s kind of amazing how easy battles 3 and 5 are!

Edit: I saved immediately after and tried G-bike, but alas I have fallen victim to the glitch. I hadn’t even played the expert G-Bike level yet so I thought maybe that would prevent the glitch but it did not!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 26, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rebirth feels less like a “sequel” than Part 1 but perhaps even moreso it comes off like a game made for people who have already played OGFF7.

Game is just filled with so many scenes or character beats that have extra meaning and a whole lot of punch to them when you already know a bunch of the later events or reveals. Not sure it’s entirely a problem if newer players don’t get that but man, a lot of my fav parts of this game were those small moments of irony that are just everywhere across the story.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

The question mark for me right now is a comment from the FFVII Remake Ultimania which talks about four different Sephiroths present in that game: Cloud's hallucinations, Cloud's flashbacks, robed guys appearing as Sephiroth, and something they say is "unknown". The unknown Sephiroth is supposedly the one that appears at the very end of the game past the whisper barrier and uses different first-person pronouns from post-Jenova Sephiroth.

Assuming they haven't thrown away this idea, I'm curious where they're going with this, and if the same Four Sephiroth theory can be applied to Rebirth. It was (is?) a pretty popular fan theory that the fourth Sephiroth is, if not outright from the future, the one who at least knows the outcome of the original game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rebirth feels less like a “sequel” than Part 1 but perhaps even moreso it comes off like a game made for people who have already played OGFF7.

Game is just filled with so many scenes or character beats that have extra meaning and a whole lot of punch to them when you already know a bunch of the later events or reveals. Not sure it’s entirely a problem if newer players don’t get that but man, a lot of my fav parts of this game were those small moments of irony that are just everywhere across the story.

I'd agree if the reprisals of old moments weren't almost universally worse, while the expanded storyline and new characters are basically all great.

I don't think you're losing anything beyond nostalgia meeting these characters for the first time in a 40+ hour JRPG that's the first part of 3. You are having a completely new experience which I imagine would loving rule, but I'll never get to experience it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m talking the little things like Cloud squats in the flashback, or him remarking in Gongaga “Man, only a real rear end in a top hat would make a promise with someone they cared about then disappear for 5 years without contacting them”. There’s a bunch of small beats like that throughout the game and I loved them all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I’m talking the little things like Cloud squats in the flashback, or him remarking in Gongaga “Man, only a real rear end in a top hat would make a promise with someone they cared about then disappear for 5 years without contacting them”. There’s a bunch of small beats like that throughout the game and I loved them all.

Ohhhh gently caress, now I understand that scene!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Glad i beat Crisis Core Reunion just before Rebirth. A good refresher to the old story

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Ohhhh gently caress, now I understand that scene!

It’s great. Cloud’s so funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The sit up mini game is sadistic, i was at it for like an hour last night and its insane how difficult they made it.