Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

SlimGoodbody posted:

Also, I can't remember if I said this before, but to anyone struggling (especially with Act 1 fights when you're pretty resource scarce) you have have HAVE to get a few hirelings whose entire job is to hang out at camp and buff your party with non-concentration all-day spells. A cleric and a wizard ought to do it, though I'm no optimization expert so someone might have an argument that says I'm an idiot and you should get a druid and a sorcerer or something, idk.

But having mage armor, longstrider, darkvision, aid, warding bond, etc cast on your party without it eating into any of your spells slots is a huge quality of life boost.

Counterpoint: use the scrolls and potions and those weird grenades you get on the Illithid ship as soon as you can. You will not use them if you don't use them now and if you do use them the encounters you're finding hard are going to be a lot easier.

"What if I need that void bulb in Act II?" you might ask. "What about that scroll of burning hands? What If I run into a troll in the next ten minutes?" You will absolutely not need that void bulb, or the low-level scroll or the majority of the potions you find early in the game once you're out of the early game. They will become superfluous and you will have better things to do with your combat turn. So use them as soon as you get them and trust that you will get more.

This message brought to you by the Greater Sword Coast Alchemist's Society, with a generous contribution from Eddie the Enchanter, the best bet for all your scribing needs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just got the game over the weekend and I've restarted like 3 times trying things out, but I think I've finally settled on a halfling bard / warlock.

I'm planning on 10 lore bard/2 warlock for the good eldritch blast and most of the good bard spells

I'm not sure at all what order to take the levels in. I'm a 1 bard / 2 warlock right now and then planning to go bard until the end, but I may respec if I find my bard abilities sucking due to taking the warlock levels so early once I get up to level 6 or so.

I was pretty committed to doing something CHA based for the first run just for out of combat dialog stuff, and hopefully this will be good at that and do at least decent damage with a lot of utility

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Hey! So, I'm just playing through for the first time and I'm just wondering... is there a way I can (minor act 1+2 spoilers, I guess) turn in the idol of Silvanus to Mol/the tiefling gang at the Last Light Inn? I swiped it after assassinating the goblin camp leadership and sneaking out, so no raid happened. So naturally, I figured the druids could do without their idol seeing as the threat was gone... But, after speaking to Mol and helping her with her not-chess game, it doesn't seem like there's an option for me to hand it over?
I assume this was an oversight and I'll have to wait until I reach Baldur's Gate, but I figured I'd check anyway, just in case I can speak to someone else present and hand it over.

I don’t think you can complete that quest once you resolve the druid / goblin / Tiefling hate triangle. I guess Mol stops having a beef with the druids? Which is a bummer because the reward is quite good

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Docjowles posted:

I don’t think you can complete that quest once you resolve the druid / goblin / Tiefling hate triangle. I guess Mol stops having a beef with the druids? Which is a bummer because the reward is quite good

drat, that sucks. Well, I'll hang onto it anyway I guess, since the prof. bonus to nature and animal handling is handy. But ah well! Hopefully Mol survives to reach BG anyway, just so I can 100% confirm, one way or the other. Since it's still classed as an active quest, so we'll see - you're probably right though

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Substandard posted:

I'm not sure at all what order to take the levels in. I'm a 1 bard / 2 warlock right now and then planning to go bard until the end, but I may respec if I find my bard abilities sucking due to taking the warlock levels so early once I get up to level 6 or so.

I think that's the correct start, you do want Warlock 2 by level 5 so you can get double Eldritch Blast ASAP.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of multi-classing, I'm playing a lv5 bard (college of swords IIRC) and I've just dipped a level into rogue. I'm thinking about going rogue until lv3, then going back to bard for the rest of the game - all this so that I can play as a backstabbing-duellist cantrip-slinger who talks a lot. Is that a good config? I haven't really played as either a rogue or a bard in D&D in general before, so I'm not too sure.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Docjowles posted:

You can resolve it by outing Kagha as a shadow druid and dealing with that situation however. This makes the druids stop chanting, but even though they've given up you can still nab the idol and give it to mol. Resolving it this way also ensures the druids don't decide it's genocide time when the idol disappears.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Docjowles posted:

The idol has to be turned in before the party.

blizzardvizard posted:

I think that's the correct start, you do want Warlock 2 by level 5 so you can get double Eldritch Blast ASAP.

Cantrips scale by character level, not class level. You could go Warlock 1/Barbarian 4 and still get the second beam.

You want to get your second level in Warlock early to get Agonizing Blast, though.

grack fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 26, 2024

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of multi-classing, I'm playing a lv5 bard (college of swords IIRC) and I've just dipped a level into rogue. I'm thinking about going rogue until lv3, then going back to bard for the rest of the game - all this so that I can play as a backstabbing-duellist cantrip-slinger who talks a lot. Is that a good config? I haven't really played as either a rogue or a bard in D&D in general before, so I'm not too sure.

You probably want to do swords bard 6 / thief 4 / fighter 2. Dual wield hand crossbows. With ranged slashing flourish and action surge you can attack an amazing 10 times in a single turn. If your first level is rogue you'll get the most proficiencies. Take sharpshooter and whatever else for feats. There are two items, Helmet of Arcane Acuity and Band of the Mystic Scoundrel that are perfect for this build and together will let you cast illusion or enchantment spells as a bonus action and with a good save DC so dex is probably more important than cha as your main damage stat but you still want a bit of cha. This is one of the strongest builds possible in the game.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
holy poo poo dark urge alfira :stare: :smith:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

You can resolve it by outing Kagha as a shadow druid and dealing with that situation however. This makes the druids stop chanting, but even though they've given up you can still nab the idol and give it to mol. Resolving it this way also ensures the druids don't decide it's genocide time when the idol disappears.

you can then steal the idol from mol afterwards and she'll say a very funny line when you talk to her.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The nice thing about the Idol is that characters receiving and losing its blessing get their own entries in the event log, meaning you know exactly who has it at all times :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you thought you were getting a companion lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

You will never guess who the companion in question is

https://x.com/ign/status/1772390778813173805?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Recruitable, sure, but could the ah, relationship be progressed... further? Bonus points if it could happen at the Elfsong camp in front of Isobel.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am going through a Durge game and apparently if you follow up on the evil choices, Myrkul resurrects Isobel and Ketheric tadpoles her to make her into a loyal daughter, she's right there with him for the act 2 boss fight. J.K. Simmons is really on a row of good parenting roles.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love this game

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Gotta say that the default durge absolutely nails the "horror movie monster/evil overlord" vibe. Honestly it totally rules and hits hard when you don't make the durge a tiefling princess or some random dude.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I kept all the rocks I found through the whole game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can you beat BG3 with a bag full of rocks [1:40:19]

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Gotta say that the default durge absolutely nails the "horror movie monster/evil overlord" vibe. Honestly it totally rules and hits hard when you don't make the durge a tiefling princess or some random dude.
This game easily has the best dragon characters in a game I've ever seen. They are all so emotive.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

For Rogue Multiclasses I'm going to toss out Arcane Trickster 9 - 10 / Wizard (?)

I wore the graceful cloth and used greater invisibility scrolls as my source of advantage so I never used the risky ring.
Why would you do this over bard? Idk maybe you have a lot of CHA focus in your party. Permanent mage hand is also a source of extra damage or someone that can throw a speed potion at you since they aren't in combat. Throwing bombs, you can have it drink an elixr of cloud giant strength and now its throwing rune powder barrels.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shard posted:

This game easily has the best dragon characters in a game I've ever seen. They are all so emotive.

The reaction to the gnolls is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen in the game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

This post is phrased like clickbait and has a Twitter embed with a clickbait title to an IGN article. The internet has ruined just telling people things.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

I always make sure to hold onto the most important item in the game: Nut-Buster

LifeLynx posted:

This post is phrased like clickbait and has a Twitter embed with a clickbait title to an IGN article. The internet has ruined just telling people things.

Look buddy if something doesn't generate several dozen ad impressions, it's just not worth doing

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

What happens if you match 3? Can you set off a chain?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

glad I'm not the only one who does this

you can put the expensive ones in the umberlee temple donation chest for an until long rest bless. i know pearls and diamonds work.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The game sure likes to throw fights at you after a tough fight. "Hey we saw you teaming up with that guy. We hate that guy. Now we hate you! Die!" Happened right after the act 3 Iron Throne fight, as one example.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Docjowles posted:

I always make sure to hold onto the most important item in the game: Nut-Buster

:respek:

I just had to go pretty far back and find mine after throwing it at a mine and forgetting to retrieve it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

The game sure likes to throw fights at you after a tough fight. "Hey we saw you teaming up with that guy. We hate that guy. Now we hate you! Die!" Happened right after the act 3 Iron Throne fight, as one example.

I just hand em over for the sexy mermaid robe.
[It goes on gale]

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Docjowles posted:

2. Bandits on top of Withers tomb. I thought I could easily pass the persuasion check. I was wrong and they wiped me.

Gotta be honest if those guys are wiping you you’re not gonna make it in Honour Mode

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Zodium posted:

glad I'm not the only one who does this

you can put the expensive ones in the umberlee temple donation chest for an until long rest bless. i know pearls and diamonds work.

The crazy thing is that anything with value works. Someone put a severed foot in there… but the buff only works once and it’s wiped by the checkpoint to the finale so consider when you want to use that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you donate to the tabernacle for the buff and then steal the money back from the basement chest?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You only have to do the donation once per character iirc but you should steal from the basement chests. I'd also mention that in the patch before this most recent hotfix the Anointed in Splendor buff now persists through long rests so you don't have to start you day with church every day.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Where's my favourite rock, the Resonance Stone

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Entropic posted:

Gotta be honest if those guys are wiping you you’re not gonna make it in Honour Mode

thank you for your helpful input

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Where's my favourite rock, the Resonance Stone

Honestly this turned out to be shockingly useful when I just started picking up chests for Astarion to lockpick at camp.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I did a decent little sequence break on a side quest, I didn't think it would work!

At the beginning of Act 3, the altercation outside Arfur's Mansion starts as normal once you are in range.

I had Manip Nestor let me into the barn. I found the trapped teddy bears, but did not interact with them, or tell him about them on the way out. Then, instead of triggering the argument between Arfur and the refugees, I drank a Potion of Invisibility and snuck into his basement, grabbed his proof, snuck out. I then started the encounter, intervened, bribed his guards to leave, then was actually able to bully him with the Blackmail Letter proof. This got me a bit of gold, knowledge of the plot in Felogyr's Fireworks and the password, and the Admission Pass. Pretty cool!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How come Ao is cool with the dead three getting super involved with the mortal planes to the point of their avatars coming out in this game?

And if he ain't cool with it he doesn't seem to do much about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shard posted:

How come Ao is cool with the dead three getting super involved with the mortal planes to the point of their avatars coming out in this game?

And if he ain't cool with it he doesn't seem to do much about it

Ao is one of those mostly hands off rear end in a top hat creator gods. He has to be really pissed off to want to do anything, and Lesser Gods shuffling around Portfolios and loving things up for mortals inspiring Heroic Mettle usually is the system working as intended.