Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
They do NYE in Canada so it's a bit chilly. Guitar strings tighten up in the cold which means you're always out of tune. It's also not great for your voice to sing in -15c weather.

A big reason is that it's just easier logistically. 10 bands means 10 sound checks and no one has time for that since everyone is only playing 2 songs each. Better to just tune the PA once and the done with it. Sometimes the singer may be live but the background vocals are not.

And yeah, you risk off pitch notes or like Mariah Carey a few years ago, you can't hear anything at all and have no idea what sounds are coming out of you. I've had two occasions where I've been on stage and my monitor feed just quit. I could not hear a drat thing because the drum set was behind all the amps and speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

HonorableTB posted:

I imagine it depends on the level of exposure. If you're doing a Super Bowl halftime show you're probably going to lip sync more to avoid the risk of having off-pitch notes on a national broadcast. Most televised performances are synced I'm sure, it's just not worth it to potentially do a honker in front of millions of potential fans lol

My understanding is that the Super Bowl is a mixture. The artists record their own tracks, and then their live performance is mixed over it. Depending on what they're doing in any given song you may or may not be hearing them sing live or it might be a mix or it might be entirely the prerecorded track. Someone running up and down stairs and dancing their rear end off is probably going to be heavily mixed. But then you have Alicia Keys sitting at a piano and her voice cracks because she was signing entirely live.

Prince really did play that guitar in the rain though.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Big shows have pre recorded audio piped in all the time. Whether it’s for lip syncing or because they don’t have a guy to play the 3rd guitar part live or any other reason. Unless it’s like, a jazz concert or some diy punk show where you expect the playing and singing to be real, I don’t really care.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HonorableTB posted:

One time Dr Phil invited the dude that created Bum Fights onto his show to confront him about exploiting vulnerable people for financial gain and the guy showed up dressed like Dr Phil and pointed out he did the exact same thing and :lmao:

nobody's career ended really but that should've been a kill shot for the Dr Phil Show if the man had any sense of shame at all (he doesnt)

also bumfights guy is an rear end in a top hat too just for the record

I mean people like him are loving sociopaths who think everything is funny joke and are too dumb to realize when poo poo gets serious or hosed up even for them. he probably posts on kiwifarms now

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Either that, or the day he was born

"Busted leadeship for a wronger America"

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Zugzwang posted:

In many cases, performers aren't even *allowed* to sing live. They have to lip sync. There have been cases where the audio fucks up at the Macy's parade or whatever and then the singer who was on TV at the time gets trashed in the press. But literally every other singer was lip syncing too. :shrug:

Iron Maiden did not lip-sync. Not their style.

They had to for a German TV show and it was one of the best performances EVER..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIol63oAmI

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean people like him are loving sociopaths who think everything is funny joke and are too dumb to realize when poo poo gets serious or hosed up even for them. he probably posts on kiwifarms now

yeah now that you mention it, bumfights guy absolutely sounds like someone that would post on kiwifarms. What a damning indictment of someone lol. That episode was a "the worst person you know just made a good point" situation

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

yeah now that you mention it, bumfights guy absolutely sounds like someone that would post on kiwifarms. What a damning indictment of someone lol. That episode was a "the worst person you know just made a good point" situation

i know thos type so well because i used to sorta be one. when i was like in high school and early community college, i wanted to be a cool bad rear end troll because i was a dumb lonely kid who wanted to laugh at weirdos. i was saved only because my one friend managed to figure out who one of the trolls was(i joined some group follow this obviously mentally ill lady) the main troll was some dude in his 30s who taught tech and did mssionary work or some poo poo in california. anyway my friends scared him off and eventually i bailed completly because hanging out in those types of groups is loving awful because its a constant balancing act of "not being the whipping boy". i manage to erase my poo poo for the most part move on. anyway like last year, said rear end in a top hat messaged me on my barely used facebook making fun of my disibilities and some stupid embarassing poo poo i told him and its like "dude, its been over 10 years and your still doing this poo poo, i have a solid job and loving gf and graduated college and friends and etc and your drunk one night sending some vague stupid old poo poo because you can't find anything new" so i blocked him and delated it. So yeah, gently caress you jerry, i hope you get locked in syndrom for trolling schizophrenic woman.

anyway, id like a 10 piece chicken nugget please.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've only seen Dogma once, when it came out, and I thought it was insufferable atheists: the movie, but maybe I need to watch it again. I had bad opinions on poo poo back then (too).

I do remember loving one scene though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nsO9IS2Vs

It’s actually a super Catholic movie.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

I imagine it depends on the level of exposure. If you're doing a Super Bowl halftime show you're probably going to lip sync more to avoid the risk of having off-pitch notes on a national broadcast. Most televised performances are synced I'm sure, it's just not worth it to potentially do a honker in front of millions of potential fans lol

Then we miss out on incredible poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMA2iF6RuXk

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hachi machi i'll take the lip syncing

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Kit Walker posted:

How common is lip syncing these days anyway? I imagine it's one of those things that no one really talks about but a lot of performers do, but I have no idea. It would just be funny if it was quite widespread at the time and she was the only one unfortunate enough to really get noticed doing it

It's less of a thing since the 80s but it's definitely still around. Like, if you see someone doing a big choreographed dance number while simultaneously belting out a tune, 97% of the time they're lipsynching - dancing and singing at the same time is an INSANELY hard thing to do.

While nobody ever liked lipsynching, it didn't become a taboo until Milli Vanilli were exposed as frauds. Over time I think people have misremembered/misunderstood what happened there - it's not lipsynching itself that was the problem, it was that they used lipsynching to hide that they never sang "their" songs at all.

Lipsynching was so prevalent before then that there are a lot of singers from the 60s and 70s it's actually tough to find many genuine live performances of. A lot of TV shows in particular back in the day didn't have the studio space or acoustics to accommodate live music performance (at least one whose sound quality wasn't crap).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lmao its been a while since I heard fergie sing the national anthem

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Love Guru pretty much spelled the end for Mike Myers. Apparently he was already on thin ice for Goldmember bombing and apparently being a tough person to work with.

The last thing I remember him being in is like the 50th anniversary of Saturday Night Live where he reprized his role as Wayne from Wayne's World.

I think he's been in a couple other things since then but nothing close to what he had during his glory days of the late '90s and early 2000s.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Beefed Owl posted:

Love Guru pretty much spelled the end for Mike Myers. Apparently he was already on thin ice for Goldmember bombing and apparently being a tough person to work with.

The last thing I remember him being in is like the 50th anniversary of Saturday Night Live where he reprized his role as Wayne from Wayne's World.

I think he's been in a couple other things since then but nothing close to what he had during his glory days of the late '90s and early 2000s.

You're probably right except Austin Powers Goldmember was a huge smash.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

You might be thinking of The Cat In The Hat, but don't worry, he made his stupendous comeback in the Netflix show The Pentaverate! Remember The Pentaverate? The "comedy" show where he played eight characters?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
thought I heard something about groups using a good vocal take from soundcheck these days or something and lip sincing with that. that would be more of an award-ceremony thing. i can see how it would actually sound great and make the singers life easier

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Speaking of lip sync,a man who was incapable of it.

https://youtu.be/-K_f6mYlFdk?si=cgVmg2zDD8dLtyxP

From the start the perfect timed walk to the mic,upside down piano,multiple key changes tempo changes and song changes,dance routines in high heels on a dark stage with shades and not a beat missed.

loving legend.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

You're probably right except Austin Powers Goldmember was a huge smash.

I am sorta shocked they never tried to milk those movies more.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

You might be thinking of The Cat In The Hat, but don't worry, he made his stupendous comeback in the Netflix show The Pentaverate! Remember The Pentaverate? The "comedy" show where he played eight characters?

Wasn’t shrek in that. Like the character. Like he donkey punches some guy?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Beefed Owl posted:

Don't they keep pumping out Shrek sequels?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am sorta shocked they never tried to milk those movies more.
They clearly ran out of jokes, and IIRC they even made fun of their lack of new material in the movie itself.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The X-man cometh posted:

Don't they keep pumping out Shrek sequels?

sorta. they made 2 shrek movies, neither of which i saw. then they made 2 puss in boots movies, the newest one being apperently really good.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I felt like on paper that show checked a ton of boxes for me and I should have loved it. It was such an unfunny slog that I gave up on it after two or three episodes.

Shrek isn’t a core memory for me from my childhood so I don’t pay attention to them, but it does feel like a new Shrek comes out every two years so he’s definitely still working.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
In North America, Lip Syncing was the Grandfather of Karaoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmCMDJoLOus

Oh ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ylZvJddac

Oh they use props

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XieYTNbQUcs

wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOX6nihPo4

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. they made 2 shrek movies, neither of which i saw. then they made 2 puss in boots movies, the newest one being apperently really good.

They made 4 Shrek movies, 2 Puss in Boots movies, and supposedly there’s another Shrek in the works.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Ashlee Simpson caught a lot of flack for lip syncing because she was an industry plant riding on her sister's coat tails, and people thought she didn't deserve a spot on SNL in the first place.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Speaking of lip sync,a man who was incapable of it.

https://youtu.be/-K_f6mYlFdk?si=cgVmg2zDD8dLtyxP

From the start the perfect timed walk to the mic,upside down piano,multiple key changes tempo changes and song changes,dance routines in high heels on a dark stage with shades and not a beat missed.

loving legend.

I bet poor old Prince had to "play the game" plenty of times though and lip sync his own songs for corporate stuff.

Speaking of him, would it be fair to say that Prince's mainstream career didn't really survive the grunge years? All the Warner Bros and Love Symbol stuff took its toll and seemed to sideline him for most of the 90's. Also there was a long period where his music wasn't online (and everyone else's was) that didn't help.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Lipsynching was so prevalent before then that there are a lot of singers from the 60s and 70s it's actually tough to find many genuine live performances of. A lot of TV shows in particular back in the day didn't have the studio space or acoustics to accommodate live music performance (at least one whose sound quality wasn't crap).

I keep getting unsolicited facebk videos of 89-year-old Frankie Valli, lip syncing away to his greatest hits in the present day. The comments are a hoot, it's 95% "WE LOVE YOU FRANKIE, STILL GOT THAT GOLDEN VOICE" and the other 5% is "You know he's miming, right? RETIRE ALREADY"

(warning: possible elder abuse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMS8VvxeFiA

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

man I saw buddy guy on his farewell tour last year and he didn't even pretend to still care about playing guitar or singing more than he cared about talking story, and it was funny as poo poo

that Frankie Valli video is just sad

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

HonorableTB posted:

The memory of Ashlee Simpson busting into a jig onstage after being caught lip syncing popped into my head again and :lol:

Speaking of the Simpson sisters.

Whilst it is not a specific moment. But older sister Jessica's career as a pop star died in the arse when it came out in that reality show she was doing that she was really REALLY dumb.

I forget the specifics, but she didn't know that Tuna was a fish or something similar.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Chicken of the Sea!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sadly, the chicken of the sea turned out to not be the chicken of tomorrow

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Beefed Owl posted:

It’s wild looking up random 90s SNL sketches & bam out of nowhere Mike Myers yellowface.

Wait checking Wikipedia, Goldmember made nearly $300 million on about a $63 million budget, I know Hollywood math is wonky but that seems pretty good for 2002.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 26, 2024

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Speaking of the Simpson sisters.

Whilst it is not a specific moment. But older sister Jessica's career as a pop star died in the arse when it came out in that reality show she was doing that she was really REALLY dumb.

I forget the specifics, but she didn't know that Tuna was a fish or something similar.

she thought buffalo wings came from buffalo, the large american ungulate, not buffalo, the town in new york state

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

that said i never actually watched that show and the 00s were a brutal time for misogynistic sensationalism

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

that Frankie Valli video is just sad

Imagine being one of those poor backing musicians, propping up this zombie with a grin plastered on your face. After every song you're like "well he made it through that one"

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s wild looking up random 90s SNL sketches & bam out of nowhere Mike Myers yellowface.

Wait checking Wikipedia, Goldmember made nearly $300 million on about a $63 million budget, I know Hollywood math is wonky but that seems pretty good for 2002.

You're right It was a commercial success but critically panned which I think kept him from making a fourth movie which I think he wanted to do.

I think a script was in the works but the love guru kind of killed that

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Rick Moranis was the real true Canadian comedian

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Colin Mochrie, clearly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There's a lot more to that story. Lazenby is an interesting dude.

Well, for the purposes of this thread not really. The guy did a colossally stupid career move and exchanged a guaranteed superstardom into "hey what was the name of that one idiot who thought being James Bond was a career ending mistake?"

Especially if you keep acting and 30 years later that one Bond movie is still pretty much the only thing you are known for.