Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do the statues serve any purpose?

Also jfc save rodge from the wolves is the most dragons dogma rear end quest in the worst way lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Got Archer to rank 8 and learned Lethality.

That means it's Thief time! Really curious to see what this is like, since I haven't played any sort of melee yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is it reasonable to max out every vocation before the game is over?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Is it reasonable to max out every vocation before the game is over?

I wanted to do this and then I realized melee is something I dont find fun in this game.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I currently have two maxed and three around rank 6, but that's with a lot more exploration than is strictly necessary to finish the game. I'd imagine getting everything maxed is more realistic in NG+.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
warfarer apparently levels all of them up simultaneously, even if they're not equipped (but at a reduced rate)

so once you unlock it just play the class you like but as a warfarer (don't equip Rearmament, just use your preferred weapon and four skills) and you'll slowly get everything maxed out if you're boring

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thief seems busted in every respect in a way that makes me kind of not want to play it.
I still will but I'll save it for last probably.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mdct posted:

Dragonforging is just a manual final step of upgrade you do at a specific place so it doesn't require you to wear it to be able to dragonforge it.

Oh, good, so it's not like in the first game where you have to kill a dragon and hope for good luck?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nuebot posted:

Oh, good, so it's not like in the first game where you have to kill a dragon and hope for good luck?

Nah. Drakes drop a currency you spend to Dragonforge.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

That's one of the endings to the quest.

The other is you give it to his wife (the Beastran woman he hangs out with at the slum tavern in the afternoon) and she does a murder/suicide after learning he's been a rich rear end in a top hat cosplaying as a beggar and stringing her along

Dang half of that is nice but I guess I'm glad I avoided her doing the other. Now I'm just curious, does he ever say why he does it, just an rear end in a top hat?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah. Drakes drop a currency you spend to Dragonforge.

That's rad, I'm glad they've improved the most fiddly mechanics of the first game in such really basic ways.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spent all night thinking about this game instead of sleeping.

Just wanna Unto Skie/Heven some goblins and bandits instead of go to work.

It's a shame there's no co-op I'd get a crew together to play goblin golf if there was

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Anyone else finding climbing monsters to be not really worth it compared to DD1? The main issue is that in the first game, your primary means of getting up there was to jump while grabbed on, which gave you a lot of vertical distance, at which point you'd grab again. Repeat as necessary. It was reasonably quick, felt good, and had a bit of a skill element to it.

I have had no luck doing this in DD2 at all, so instead you have to sloooowly clamber up them with the incredibly awkward and unpredictable controls for doing so. It takes so much time that you're bound to get knocked off before you can get much done, not to mention how much stamina it takes to climb around for that long. Whatever extra damage you get out of this just doesn't seem worth it compared to hanging out on the ground using abilities that can hit high, or even just slicing at the ankles using whatever has the highest dps. Doesn't help that monsters seem like 50% taller this time around too.

Jack Trades posted:

Thief seems busted in every respect in a way that makes me kind of not want to play it.
I still will but I'll save it for last probably.

I refuse to use the spinny move because it's brokenly overpowered, just like I refused to use it on strider in DD1.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm finding it just as, if not more so, than in 1 on Spearhand or Thief. I've not tried it as a Fighter/Warrior but suspect their strengths are else where.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vargs posted:

Anyone else finding climbing monsters to be not really worth it compared to DD1? The main issue is that in the first game, your primary means of getting up there was to jump while grabbed on, which gave you a lot of vertical distance, at which point you'd grab again. Repeat as necessary. It was reasonably quick, felt good, and had a bit of a skill element to it.

I have had no luck doing this in DD2 at all, so instead you have to sloooowly clamber up them with the incredibly awkward and unpredictable controls for doing so. It takes so much time that you're bound to get knocked off before you can get much done, not to mention how much stamina it takes to climb around for that long. Whatever extra damage you get out of this just doesn't seem worth it compared to hanging out on the ground using abilities that can hit high, or even just slicing at the ankles using whatever has the highest dps. Doesn't help that monsters seem like 50% taller this time around too.

I refuse to use the spinny move because it's brokenly overpowered, just like I refused to use it on strider in DD1.

Maybe thief or whatever has better stamina gains/retention augments or something because as a fighter, my stamina is half gone by the time I reach a cyclops' head. I still do it because it's usually safer than standing on the ground.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vargs posted:

Lol well spin move is one of the best ways to get immediately on top of a monster. Dragoon jump on spear is just as good as it. I've only played the 2 classes and have been jumping on everythings back. The thief especially gets a move for targeting weak spots while climbing monsters.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The actual trick to mounting is that you can stand on top of the monster and attack them without holding onto them. Once you’re on them you only need to grab on again for any attacks that try to dismount you, otherwise stand in their shoulders/back and just smack em. When you’re regular attacking you get your stamina back.

They basically made mounting a bit more interesting and involved, so getting into the monster is only half the battle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

UHHHH...how do you use Portcrystals now?
I dropped mine at a place I wanted to return to an the Ferrystone doesn't allow me to go there...did I gently caress up and it's gone now?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I dropped mine at a place I wanted to return to an the Ferrystone doesn't allow me to go there...did I gently caress up and it's gone now?

When you say drop do you mean you selected Use or Discard to set it down

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Jack Trades posted:

Are you trying to teleport from a location where it generally doesn't work, like caves?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

People online really love lying about this game. I've seen posts saying this game has such little enemy variety they've cut out the zombies, ghosts, and other undead :shepface: One of those bastards got me good last night, I was walking down the road and didn't realize the fourth figure following me wasn't a pawn and, instead, was a zombie until it attacked me. Still no clue what happened to that pawn, either. I think he fell into the river with the ogre that jump-kicked himself into drowning.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was wandering around a side path, it kept going, just so e lizards and a cyclops whatever. Find some treasure and it's really pretty, I spot like 6 or 7 rabbits all chillin in a circle, it's very Bambi. I take two steps towards them and suddenly it's raining and my guys are like "maybe we can move that boulder" which is code for "watch out! Boulders!" And then I'm attack by a minotaur, and literally the moment I kill it, a Chimera pops out of nowhere and attacks us.

It seemed really intense, but really I'm literally invulnerable as Spearman and Garfield kept them all totally frozen. I ran out of wakeup juice eventually so we fell asleep twice but Chimera was usually slowed, frozen, or reeling from damage so survive pretty much unscathed!

Sadly I've almost maxed spearman so it's time for another doing archer next since I just got some neat stuff for them. I think Spear and Thief are tied for busted classes, but maybe they're all this good lol.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Jack Trades posted:

You use it from the inventory, then you should see it appear on the ground as a crystal. If you try to put in a bad spot it'll tell you you aren't allowed to use it there and return it to your inventory, but the Use option isn't greyed out or anything.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Maybe thief or whatever has better stamina gains/retention augments or something because as a fighter, my stamina is half gone by the time I reach a cyclops' head. I still do it because it's usually safer than standing on the ground.

Yeah, Thief has both a increase max stamina augment and one that reduces how much you spend climbing or grabbing an enemy. That first one is pretty useful for everyone, except Sorcerers I guess.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finished the game last night, was fun though I think the endgame was a bit too easy because I had the holy daggers and everything in the endgame seems to have a weakness to it so I breezed through all the fights.

Question about the new game plus: Is the game scaled to your level? Will the early biomes have the same basic enemies, or will I get the higher tier versions of each one?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Yeah, Thief has both a increase max stamina augment and one that reduces how much you spend climbing or grabbing an enemy. That first one is pretty useful for everyone, except Sorcerers I guess.

I really need to level thief, but I just got warrior!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

When you say drop do you mean you selected Use or Discard to set it down

loving hell! I picked Discard, because that's how you did it in DD1.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
do also note it's incredibly easy to pick the portcrystal bakc up without noticing it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Still useful for Sorcerer. Maximum Stamina capacity for Sorcerer matters quite a bit even if recovery speed doesn’t as much.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Looking for the Vero Mine, and my Pawn goes "Oh yeah I know that one, follow me". Which logically means she leads me in through the top entrance, I become completely lost, and end up searching a bunch of other random caves before looking it up on a wiki and finding the entrance I was expected to go through.

I had a blast.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/161

Adds a marker to the map to the location of the first seeker token the player has acquired. By Gibbed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Travelogue: "I suffered much injustice at the Arisen's hand."

Gift-giver - View Steam Profile - Add Friend

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just popping in, how good is DD2 on PC specifically? I've seen a lot of chatter about microtransactions but it looks like the DMC5 genre of MTX (where it can give you a head start but mostly it's just things that you get naturally while playing) so not worried about that.

Like, does it keep up the DD1 style of DMC-ish combat + SotC style climbing? Is the performance okay-ish and are there any PC-specific caveats? I'm itching to play but not sure if I wanna drop in early via a Fanatical deal or wait till a sale or something.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Can’t believe there’s still no mod that blasts some nips onto the Sphinx’s big naturals.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Can’t believe there’s still no mod that blasts some nips onto the Sphinx’s big naturals.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/99

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Vargs posted:

I've found that you kind of have to use terrain to get the height, or just bring their face down to you by punching their knees in.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Took a quest to go with an oxcart back up to Melve and thought "Okay this'll be a milk run, back to the starter town? ez money" and a few minutes out of town a griffin screeches and swoops in like a loving Tomahawk missile to one-poo poo the cart and ox. We won the ensuing fight and I am here to assure you all that just barely clinging to the back of a griffin while it flies around trying to dodge lightning strikes and fireballs and making an attack run on your party is exactly as god drat :black101: as in DD1.

See, I described the exact thing happening to me just a bit earlier, so I'm thinking it might be scripted? Or just some dumb luck. It was the first griffon I killed, one got away earlier, perhaps it was the same one? It was funny that the quest NPC didn't acknowledge this in any way when I returned, he just thanked me for protecting the cart.

It was funny going back since it felt like the quests Lennart had were more like starter quests, giving you a tutorial to throw a pot etc. but I had not been back since leaving for the capital. Even tried to go and kill that first cyclops because I have a goon pawn who has a quest for it but it didn't spawn anymore.

Trenchdeep posted:

I've found that you kind of have to use terrain to get the height, or just bring their face down to you by punching their knees in.

Is grabbing onto the enemies' legs and try to topple them actually a thing? The game seems to indicate it is, but even on my warrior, I have no idea if it's actually doing anything. Or does simply hitting their legs a lot count as stagger?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any non-bathrobe sets for Sorcerers?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

bondage gear only sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Lone Badger posted:

Plenty. Hell, there's entire quest related armor sets that anyone can use. You can dress up like a guard or a noble, no problem. Beyond that though yeah, there are coats of a lot of varieties. It's not all Gandalf poo poo.