Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eight-Six posted:

I can't imagine having an opinion on MtG IP characters past "distant amusement"

Even tho I don’t read the story I can effortlessly imagine other people enjoying it thanks to the power of my humongous brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i've never been a vorthos but I started reading the website story updates with the phyrexian invasion and it's been enjoyable, and I did particularly like the MKM mystery and the dumb villain hijinks of this set

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I remember them making a comic for the story at one point and liking that. Seems easy enough to whip up a set's art.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

GonSmithe posted:

As someone who read almost every MTG Novel, 95% of them are dogshit, that people only remember fondly because they were 10-14 when they read them.
The way they tell the stories now is better for the quality of the individual set stories, a little less good for "overarching stories" even when most of them are half-baked.

I read the brother's war which was decent

which novel would you recommend for non-dogshit, more "modern" history?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I have only read one Magic novel, but due to some misinformation on the schoolyard I bought the one that had mail in promo for Sewers of Estark instead of Mana Crypt and resolved to never read one of them ever again.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

1024x768 posted:

I read the brother's war which was decent

which novel would you recommend for non-dogshit, more "modern" history?

Yeah, the stuff written by Jeff Grubb is part of the "not poo poo" list.

This whole chunk goes from good to okay:

Planeswalker is a step down from The Brother's War and Timestreams/Bloodlines are both big steps down from Planeswalker. The Thran is much better than those three, but is a prequel that uses the dramatic irony of you having read the other books (at leastThe Brother's War) first as part of telling the story.
Ice Age cycle is good because Grubb.

After that is where the huge drop in quality comes in and they start becoming very male-YA-novel stuff.

If you like the Urza books after The Brother's War then check out Invasion Cycle to finish up that story, but those books are mostly pretty bad.
Pretty much everything between Invasion and Mirrodin is unreadable edgy 90s trash, except Legends Cycle II which is pretty good, tells the story of cards in Legends and later ties into Kamigawa because it's the same author.

The Moons of Mirrodin and The Darksteel Eye are pretty good and have some good worldbuilding (planebuilding?), The Fifth Dawn is unreadable.

Kamigawa trilogy is decent, mostly the worldbuilding and connection to Legends Cycle II.

Ravnica cycle is kinda fun because it's ghost detective story stuff, but mostly just YA-tier stuff.

Time Spiral is a clusterfuck of 2000 ideas but decently readable otherwise, this was when they were erasing Planeswalkers from the story to make Planeswalker cards so it's basically the "Avengers Endgame" of the Brother's War-Invasion Cycle stories.
Never read the Lorwyn/Shadowmoore ones.

The quality of most of the stories they get on the website are better quality than a lot of the books. I can't overstress how catered to the 10-14 male reader demographic most of the books are, which is why the articles usually end up being better by default.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 25, 2024

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
dack fayden is the greatest thief in the multiverse

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

uggy posted:

dack fayden is the greatest thief in the multiverse

dack fayden going out like a chump in WAR was the best possible resolution

GonSmithe posted:

The quality of most of the stories they get on the website are better quality than a lot of the books. I can't overstress how catered to the 10-14 male reader demographic most of the books are, which is why the articles usually end up being better by default.

I got a free copy of one of the old Magic novels because they were literally just going to throw them in the trash otherwise.

This was how I knew who Greensleeves was when she was referenced in MH2

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

drink faygo, the poppiest soda in the multiverse

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
-2: Gain control of target juggalo

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

dack fayden going out like a chump in WAR was the best possible resolution

I got a free copy of one of the old Magic novels because they were literally just going to throw them in the trash otherwise.

This was how I knew who Greensleeves was when she was referenced in MH2

Yeah, I never read any of the books from before The Brother's War, I think I remember people saying The Arena was pretty good?

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 25, 2024

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like the MKM story very much but at least they are trying. The phyrexian invasion and conclusion was a giant wet fart. The quality of the actual prose in the thunder junction story, however, is in my opinion some of the best they've produced that I can ever remember. I was legit surprised.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It has been amusing to see how hard it is for them to land their larger build ups. They're very good at broad strokes, but everything wraps up so weirdly. Phyrexian Invasion build up slapped, as did the invasion itself. Then they fumble the ball completely despite giving themselves a "wrap up" set. iirc, War of the Spark was similar, where the broad strokes "big bad dragon is guided a whole Egyptian culture to create an undead army" is great. Or poo poo, the Superfriends vs. the Eldrazi. Weakest of the three, but a likewise womp womp end where they just needed to cast a bigger Fireball to defeat the immortal beings.

I'm sympathetic to the issue that you only have so much space to tell a story, but they did a pretty solid job of telling the story of a war in Brother's War. Urza and Mishra meld cards and bunch of the mythic's really helped sell that one in a way I don't recall any of the other stories really pulling off as effectively. Maybe the lesson is just simplifying the stories so that they can really get spread out among the cards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just remake the old sets! Homelands 2, Fallen Empire 2, Mirage Reloaded!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

They should do Legends again, but the legendary creatures are good this time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cactrot posted:

The Legends Retold from Dominaria United except an entire set.

I'm down. We never got a card for Jedit's dad despite him being the coolest guy in the novel he was in.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cactrot posted:

Kamigawa, or dominaria, take your pick

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, I never read any of the books from before The Brother's War, I think I remember people saying The Arena was pretty good?

Yeah since it was before the whole Planeswalkers saga took over the story iirc it was just a good ol fashioned "two armies clash and a plucky band of adventurers beat the evil wizard" story, also you could send in a form to get a promo mana crypt

Edit: oh poo poo that card is worth $300 now... Welp kinda sucks I lost track of that I guess

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 26, 2024

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As someone who experiences magic's story solely through summaries people who actually read the story post online: can someone summarize what happens in thunder junction?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GonSmithe posted:

Final story for Thunder Junction is out https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/episode-6-the-ballad-of-thieves-and-thunderslingers

Jace has been pretending to be Ashiok since at least the end of WoE, potentially still Phyrexian-ized "as she saw past the illusion he was still tucked carefully beneath. "Your scars … Those plugs … What happened to you?""

The treasure in the vault is "A small creature rested on what was left of the altar. Its body was covered in orange fur, and a single tuft of cream hair sat at the top of its head, wedged between two dark horns. A long tail curled around its legs, hollow at the tip. Inside, a blue orb flickered to life. Its nose twitched, sensing the open air, and a pair of large green eyes fluttered open as if the creature had been asleep for a very long time" and Jace has it. Dunno if this something we're supposed to understand now or if it's setting something up.

That sounds like one of the cat things from Ikoria.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just remake the old sets! Homelands 2, Fallen Empire 2, Mirage Reloaded!

I'm fine going to Sarpadia and Ulgrotha and Zhalfir again, believe it or not. Time to do justice to two places unfortunately associated with two of the worst Magic sets. I'm not sure I trust WotC enough to do Afrofantasy or Afrofuturism with Zhalfir though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

The treasure in the vault is "A small creature rested on what was left of the altar. Its body was covered in orange fur, and a single tuft of cream hair sat at the top of its head, wedged between two dark horns. A long tail curled around its legs, hollow at the tip. Inside, a blue orb flickered to life. Its nose twitched, sensing the open air, and a pair of large green eyes fluttered open as if the creature had been asleep for a very long time" and Jace has it. Dunno if this something we're supposed to understand now or if it's setting something up.

I believe this is what's called a "pokemon"

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If they bring back Magic Origins they can do the remix to Chandra's Ignition

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

As someone who experiences magic's story solely through summaries people who actually read the story post online: can someone summarize what happens in thunder junction?

Rakdos has only had Tinybones for a day and a half but if anything happened to him, Rakdos would kill everyone and then himself
I dunno some other stuff that's less important

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Oko has put together a crew, hired by ashiok, to break in to a vault. Evil bad guy has 5/6 of the key, they rob a train and get in to saloon fights and get the other 1/6. Kellan is here having moved on from Ravnica. Omenpaths go everywhere but the Junction in Thunder junction indicates it has a lot of them so it'll be sort of an interplanar hub and Ral Zarek is there putting up radio towers.

Kellan finally finds Oko, who only really uses him as an asset and discards him when the going gets tough and is the dick we know and love.

They eventually enter the vault, ashiok is revealed to be Jace (still semi phyrexianized??), the long lost treasure in the vault is some baby something, he and vraska peace out, oko escapes, kellan invites his vampire girlfriend from ixalan over and settles down possibly.

As I said before for magic fiction it was top notch and felt like, actually edited by someone.

kalel posted:

I believe this is what's called a "pokemon"

Fomori maybe?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wait Vraska is alive too????

did any planeswalker actually die in the phyexian invasion lol

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait Vraska is alive too????

did any planeswalker actually die in the phyexian invasion lol

Jaya. And the spark of Dack Fayden, Tibalt most likely. That loser dumbass Planeswalker from Ikoria, Tamiyo, but then she turned into a Kryptonian hologram only Magic.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Tibalt, Lukka, Wrenn, and Tamiyo* all ate it. The more lasting consequence was almost all the walkers losing their sparks.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ruh roh

https://twitter.com/KatieCombat/status/1772441953143046550

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the ability is actually surveil (刺探) not scry (占卜)

Wasteland Rebirth 3BG

Sorcery (Uncommon)

Return up to one target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield. Return up to one target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.

Lavaspur Boots 1

Artifact- Equipment [uncommon]

Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has haste and ward 1. (Whenever it becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that player pays 1.)

Equip 1

Escape Illusion

Instant

Spree (Choose one or more additional costs)

+{1} -- Exile target nontoken creature. At the beginning of the next end step, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.

+{2} -- Choose target creature. If there is no other creature with greater power than it, it is destroyed.

2GW
Selvala, Eager Trailblazer
Legendary Creature Elf Scout

Vigilance

Whenever you cast a creature spell, create a 1/1 red mercenary creature token with "T: Target creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn. Activate only as a sorcery."

T: Choose a color. Add one mana of that color for each different powers among creatures you control

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's pretty common to be able to use a pump spell to counter a kill spell, but that might be the first kill spell that you can counter by pumping an entirely unrelated creature.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Strong Sauce posted:

2GW
Selvala, Eager Trailblazer
Legendary Creature Elf Scout

Vigilance

Whenever you cast a creature spell, create a 1/1 red mercenary creature token with "T: Target creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn. Activate only as a sorcery."

T: Choose a color. Add one mana of that color for each different powers among creatures you control
why red? just to push her out of the 99 into the commander slot?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

No Red mana symbol, she's still fine in a GW deck, it doesn't matter if the tokens are off-colour

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

The color of created tokens isn't part of a card's color identity.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GonSmithe posted:

Final story for Thunder Junction is out https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/episode-6-the-ballad-of-thieves-and-thunderslingers

Jace has been pretending to be Ashiok since at least the end of WoE, potentially still Phyrexian-ized "as she saw past the illusion he was still tucked carefully beneath. "Your scars … Those plugs … What happened to you?""

This feels like a big twist, but in retrospect, the clues were there.

I was looking at Wicked Manipulator to put it in a deck I'm making, and comparing it to other Ashiok's... yeah, those abilities aren't Ashiok, they're Phyrexian Jace pretending to be mono-black.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

This feels like a big twist, but in retrospect, the clues were there.

I was looking at Wicked Manipulator to put it in a deck I'm making, and comparing it to other Ashiok's... yeah, those abilities aren't Ashiok, they're Phyrexian Jace pretending to be mono-black.

Well, no not really, you're seeing more into it than intended I think.

That really was Ashiok being a villain in Eldraine, and the nightmare thing is something Ashiok can do that Jace absolutely cannot. Jace likely only started going around as Ashiok after Ashiok was driven away from Eldraine. So starting specifically in the epilogue and then going until now.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 26, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/Sulettacore64/status/1772499352822354330?t=ImFK4qn_OYa4GVkQjvcyOQ&s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Well, no not really, you're seeing more into it than intended I think.

That really was Ashiok being a villain in Eldraine, and the nightmare thing is something Ashiok can do that Jace absolutely cannot. Jace likely only started going around as Ashiok after Ashiok was driven away from Eldraine. Sp starting specifically in the epilogue and then going until now.

Okay, that makes sense, but is a little disappointing. Seriously thought I was onto something there.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

GonSmithe posted:

It's Snarf from Thundercats, previewing the next UB secret lair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
My main issue with the Magic story is that I don’t like Jace and generally don’t care about anything involving him. I was enjoying the Kellan arc and how it was about something other than Jace.