Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://x.com/DavidInglesTV/status/1772225987222311164?s=20

RIP the world's supply of chocolate and my fat rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

is this why my cocaine is so expensive as well?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

bedpan posted:

hmm, so if we could eliminate the bottom 90% of the population the top 10% could double their emissions?

I have some concerning news about who makes the goods necessary for the top 10% to enjoy their emissions

Don't worry though, we're making great strides in automation every day

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Nix Panicus posted:

I have some concerning news about who makes the goods necessary for the top 10% to enjoy their emissions

In the future Grok will make your burgers. You won't care.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

smoobles posted:

is this why my cocaine is so expensive as well?

no, that's only because it's artificially price controlled.

how about this for a crack ping:
today i went for a walk and was already so used to the smell of burning canadians i didn't realize a building in my neighborhood had caught fire. I thought it was just canada like usual and didn't know until i physically saw the trucks pull up.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Nix Panicus posted:

can’t automate ecology sadly :(

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

We will literally die trying

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

SniperWoreConverse posted:

no, that's only because it's artificially price controlled.

how about this for a crack ping:
today i went for a walk and was already so used to the smell of burning canadians i didn't realize a building in my neighborhood had caught fire. I thought it was just canada like usual and didn't know until i physically saw the trucks pull up.

that's a cool new normal we have here.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Ongoing and unresolvable stress, anxiety, fear, etc. are essentially the worst things that can happen to you short of actual, physical pain. Like, there's a reason "died peacefully in their sleep" is something that people see as a best possible outcome even though a person still be dead.

Everyone posting and reading about this poo poo is a weirdo who either doesn't have that anxiety response or crack pinged through it a long time ago. Most people out in the world are just taking the psychological strategy that doesn't leave them lying awake at night in existential terror for themselves and their children because that's the only actually rational response to this situation.

please I haven’t moved past poo poo stressmaxing is how I keep my lymph nodes in check

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I know there’s been a clean bdelloid png posted before anyone have it ? asking for a friend (me)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

It's the arse, OP.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Mr. Sharps posted:

fear not, our best minds are on the case

https://builtin.com/robotics/robot-bees

quote:

One example is BloomX (formerly known as Bumblebee AI), an Israeli startup that uses artificial intelligence and elements of biomimicry to pollinate crops when they need pollinating.

Bearing resemblance to a push lawn mower, the company’s machine is capable of imitating the best natural approach of pollinating specific crops. One is a “cross pollination mechanism,” which uses an electric charge to collect pollen from one flower and apply it to another by passing between rows of crops — similar to how honey bees pollinate. Another uses vibration at the base of a plant to initiate the release of pollen, mimicking how bumble bees pollinate crops like blueberries and strawberries.

This approach, according to BloomX’s founder and CEO Thai Sade, is more efficient and sustainable than using commoditized honey bees.

And yet, we may not have much of a choice. The global population is expected to grow by 25 percent to about 10 billion people by 2050. To meet the demand, food production will need to increase drastically. So will the number of pollinators, particularly honey bees, which are already facing their own unique challenges in the face of habitat loss, pesticide use, climate change and other factors. We may need the help of robot bees to help keep us afloat.

“I don’t think we will replace all the bees in the world. We also need them,” BloomX’s Sade said. “We need to work much better with our planet Earth. Our resources are limited, and we need to be very, very cost-effective environmentally and financially on how we use our resources.”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
and then the bees became our enemies, for they were all israeli spies.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

It's the arse, OP.

foot

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CODChimera posted:

so is it going to go back to normal or what?

My most helpful crack-ping was accepting that there isn't any "normal". The universe is a giant cause effect engine run by physics we barely understand, but what we consider "normal" on Earth has just been a steady state / slow rate of change that we happened to evolve into. So "normal" is the biosphere we're comfortable in, but the universe doesn't care if the Earth changes into Venus or Mars, we can gnash our teeth and stamp our feet and it's going to happen depending on the energy flow.

We've converted a hell of a lot of energy that was underground into energy that is in the air and water - where we go from here is just the consequences of thermodynamics.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

CGI Stardust posted:

I enjoy living through Charlie Brooker's demented future come to life.

Farce.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

kater posted:

I know there’s been a clean bdelloid png posted before anyone have it ? asking for a friend (me)

here u go

now everyone can make funny memes :buddy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CGI Stardust posted:

It uses AI, don't look into it, trust us.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

only way robot bees are saving us is if the AI goes rogue and they burrow into the brains of every billionaire on earth

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

Our technology mimics the buzz of the bumblebee, blueberries’ natural pollinator, by using mechanical arms mounted on an electric vehicle that vibrate the stems to release pollen grains on the flower’s stigma. Years of research and testing have been conducted to calibrate the speed and strength of the vibration for optimal efficiency.

But that’s not all. We’ve also developed a predictive algorithm that tells growers exactly when the best time is to pollinate, based on environmental data and other factors. With this technology, no time is wasted, and the pollination process is as effective as possible. Using GPS receivers integrated in each device, growers gain full control and easily track and manage the pollinated areas daily with all data easily accessible on a user-friendly dashboard.

One: that's a very clever way to market-speak over "the machine is really noisy". Two: I'm pretty sure the predictive algorithm they mentioned is the "AI-powered" part. Probably something that outputs a "do you need to be shaken" score as a function of plant age and the weather history. If they actually used AI for this, I think that's way overkill for this problem, but I assume you don't get funded unless you work AI in somehow.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

starkebn posted:

My most helpful crack-ping was accepting that there isn't any "normal". The universe is a giant cause effect engine run by physics we barely understand, but what we consider "normal" on Earth has just been a steady state / slow rate of change that we happened to evolve into. So "normal" is the biosphere we're comfortable in, but the universe doesn't care if the Earth changes into Venus or Mars, we can gnash our teeth and stamp our feet and it's going to happen depending on the energy flow.

We've converted a hell of a lot of energy that was underground into energy that is in the air and water - where we go from here is just the consequences of thermodynamics.

You’re so right. To expand upon what you said:

When I was a very headstrong but curious kid in a terrible environment the most helpful reflection I had about this realization you speak of is that if you not only openly express it, but dare to demonstrate via attitude and spoken word that you are in-fact completely at peace with said belief, you will mortify every weakling around you and they will reflexively label you a nihilist and that’s that. You are forever excluded from being in their good graces. Asocial dorks (have I incessantly mentioned Elon Musk yet?) like to think of humans as being meat computers, but the truth is that we are much closer to being meat cellos always seeking our quartet. Sometimes we can get impressively close to perfect harmonization but more often than not we sound a little off key to each other, increasingly so as we struggle to be “the one” who directs our music. If the ultimate underpinning of our reality is that it is noisy particle soup with no meaning but what we assign it and you, being the arrogant little chimp that you are open your mouth to confess as such, all other people are going to hear is the terrifying static of that particle soup. And they will do ANYTHING to shut it up.

ooooo Aaa Aa monkey only like E major
*eats booger* every monkey know E major holy ooo oo oo only like song with simple chord aaga aga why this other monkey play some weird diminished discordant sound ooo OOOO MONKEY START TO GET MAD eee ee ee weird sounding monkey find this funny this only make MONKEY GET MADDER AGAGA OOO OO

The monkeys have difficulty wrapping their head around the notion that their “higher power” is a conceptual thing that resides in all things. That there is no supreme authority to defer to because we are all gods, all eight billion of us bless our moronic souls, because of course anything with sentience is. Power emanates from the center of all you can touch, it is not handed down from on high and it is entirely up to you to learn how to sense it in every instance. If you don’t care to, then that’s really all there is to it and whatever you neglect might as well pop out of existence like Schrödinger’s cat because after all you are quite literally the center of the universe, and as God you decree it ain’t part of yours. If you take issue with this definition of godhood I ask you: what else could persistence hunt a ten thousand mile wide magic orb to its knees until there is nothing left but its silicon carcass?

Anyway this is all to say that the only way to make peace with this existence is to ride that cause and effect engine however you goddamn well please so long as you can accept that it will ride you back with similar disregard. Let that particle soup flow through you like a manifold and don’t be afraid to open and close some valves of your choosing.

Stay godly out there brother

*adjusts his fedora and peacoat and walks toward the sunset carrying two crossed swords on his back*

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hubbert posted:

here u go

now everyone can make funny memes :buddy:

Aw poo poo saving the angry bdell

E:

Just to fill out the page

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SixteenShells posted:

One: that's a very clever way to market-speak over "the machine is really noisy". Two: I'm pretty sure the predictive algorithm they mentioned is the "AI-powered" part. Probably something that outputs a "do you need to be shaken" score as a function of plant age and the weather history. If they actually used AI for this, I think that's way overkill for this problem, but I assume you don't get funded unless you work AI in somehow.

Yeah, basically every granting institution in the US has some specific language about prioritizing proposals that integrate Artificial Intelligence in some way. For example NOAA has an Artificial Intelligence Focus Area that you can read here: https://sciencecouncil.noaa.gov/noaa-science-technology-focus-areas/noaa-articial-intelligence-strategy/

quote:

As data exploitation capabilities continue to increase exponentially with improved satellite systems and architecture, unmanned systems and commercial data sources, AI methods will provide transformative advancements in the quality and timeliness of NOAA science, products, and services. The term “AI” is used here to encompass the capabilities identified in the “AI Capabilities” graphic on page 4.

so... yeah

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ignore_Me posted:

When I was a very headstrong but curious kid in a terrible environment the most helpful reflection I had about this realization you speak of is that if you not only openly express it, but dare to demonstrate via attitude and spoken word that you are in-fact completely at peace with said belief, you will mortify every weakling around you and they will reflexively label you a nihilist and that’s that. You are forever excluded from being in their good graces. Asocial dorks (have I incessantly mentioned Elon Musk yet?) like to think of humans as being meat computers, but the truth is that we are much closer to being meat cellos always seeking our quartet. Sometimes we can get impressively close to perfect harmonization but more often than not we sound a little off key to each other, increasingly so as we struggle to be “the one” who directs our music. If the ultimate underpinning of our reality is that it is noisy particle soup with no meaning but what we assign it and you, being the arrogant little chimp that you are open your mouth to confess as such, all other people are going to hear is the terrifying static of that particle soup. And they will do ANYTHING to shut it up.

*eats booger* every monkey know E major holy ooo oo oo only like song with simple chord aaga aga why this other monkey play some weird diminished discordant sound ooo OOOO MONKEY START TO GET MAD eee ee ee weird sounding monkey find this funny this only make MONKEY GET MADDER AGAGA OOO OO

The monkeys have difficulty wrapping their head around the notion that their “higher power” is a conceptual thing that resides in all things. That there is no supreme authority to defer to because we are all gods, all eight billion of us bless our moronic souls, because of course anything with sentience is. Power emanates from the center of all you can touch, it is not handed down from on high and it is entirely up to you to learn how to sense it in every instance. If you don’t care to, then that’s really all there is to it and whatever you neglect might as well pop out of existence like Schrödinger’s cat because after all you are quite literally the center of the universe, and as God you decree it ain’t part of yours. If you take issue with this definition of godhood I ask you: what else could persistence hunt a ten thousand mile wide magic orb to its knees until there is nothing left but its silicon carcass?

Anyway this is all to say that the only way to make peace with this existence is to ride that cause and effect engine however you goddamn well please so long as you can accept that it will ride you back with similar disregard. Let that particle soup flow through you like a manifold and don’t be afraid to open and close some valves of your choosing.

Stay godly out there brother

*adjusts his fedora and peacoat and walks toward the sunset carrying two crossed swords on his back*

sir this is a wendys

gauntanamo bae
Mar 11, 2024

Stereotype posted:

Yeah, basically every granting institution in the US has some specific language about prioritizing proposals that integrate Artificial Intelligence in some way. For example NOAA has an Artificial Intelligence Focus Area that you can read here: https://sciencecouncil.noaa.gov/noaa-science-technology-focus-areas/noaa-articial-intelligence-strategy/

so... yeah

haha were all gonna die

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

so... yeah

I love it when people who don't actually know anything about machine learning decide that they want to blow their organization up to try to do more of it

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

sir this is a wendys

When I was a headstrong but horny kid in a terrible wendys the most useful realization I had about wanting to gently caress the baconator was

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

lmao

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Stereotype posted:

so... yeah

there is a modeling crisis, y’know

we’ll get AI good enough to predict climate change, not good enough to fix it

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Unless posted:

we’ll get AI good enough to predict climate change, not good enough to fix it

We won’t get either, honestly. Unless you want grok to predict which entrance of your house the black blob on the Doppler is currently blasting it’s hot humid load into

oh so it’s cool when iggy pop does it but all I get are stares

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 11:16 on Mar 26, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ignore_Me posted:

ok

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Sweet music flex

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Biosphere? More like deadosphere.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/RogerHallamCS21/status/1772599667181731911
Article:

quote:

Emissions connected to top oil and gas firms may cause millions of heat deaths by 2100, study finds
Global witness analysis suggests 11.5 million deaths could be caused by burning of fuel produced by 2050

The emissions from burning oil and gas produced by the world’s leading fossil fuel companies could cause millions of excess heat deaths before the end of the century, according to a new analysis.

The study from Global Witness found that the combined emissions from fossil fuels produced by Shell, BP, TotalEnergies, ExxonMobil and Chevron up to 2050 could result in 11.5 million excess deaths from heat by 2100.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
roger's right

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
"Ignore Me"? Username/post combo if ever I saw one! :mmmsmug:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

CGI Stardust posted:

Placing bees in direct competition with the profit motive

This is a Captain Planet villain origin story

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dokapon Findom posted:

"Ignore Me"? Username/post combo if ever I saw one! :mmmsmug:

But here's the rub: we can't identify the combo without first reading the post

He's got us cornered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
funny_feeling.mp4 https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dairy-cattle-texas-kansas-tested-positive-bird-flu-108482834

quote:

Dairy cattle in Texas and Kansas test positive for bird flu
Federal officials say milk from dairy cows in Texas and Kansas has tested positive for bird flu

Officials with the Texas Animal Health Commission confirmed the flu virus is the Type A H5N1 strain, known for decades to cause outbreaks in birds and to occasionally infect people. The virus is affecting older dairy cows in those states and in New Mexico, causing decreased lactation and low appetite.

It comes a week after officials in Minnesota announced that goats on a farm where there had been an outbreak of bird flu among poultry were diagnosed with the virus. It's believed to be the first time bird flu — also known as highly pathogenic avian influenza — was found in U.S. livestock.

The commercial milk supply is safe and risk to people is low, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dairies are required to only allow milk from healthy animals to enter the food supply, and milk from the sick animals is being diverted or destroyed. Pasteurization also kills viruses and other bacteria, and the process is required for milk sold through interstate commerce, the agency said.

“At this stage, there is no concern about the safety of the commercial milk supply or that this circumstance poses a risk to consumer health,” the USDA said in a statement.