Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
We use numbered weeks at work to keep track of projects, ie. different stages of design should be started on this date on week x and be ready by this date on week y, manufacturing on these weeks, delivery on this week etc., or keeping track on what week different members of team start and what week they end their summer vacations. It's pretty useful to see how many weeks something lasts with a glance but I always have to look up where those weeks fit on calendar. I don't think anyone actually remembers them straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Week number make sense if you think of them as a template for the year.

For example in Denmark, there is in schools winter break, around week 7 or 8, the industrial holiday of week 29-30-31, and fall break at week 42.

So the yearly planning is somewhat simplified

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peter Falk posted:

I want you to know that this was a great joke
Thank you. Too many drat uncultured swine in this thread.

Glah posted:

We use numbered weeks at work to keep track of projects, ie. different stages of design should be started on this date on week x and be ready by this date on week y, manufacturing on these weeks, delivery on this week etc., or keeping track on what week different members of team start and what week they end their summer vacations. It's pretty useful to see how many weeks something lasts with a glance but I always have to look up where those weeks fit on calendar. I don't think anyone actually remembers them straight away.
Yeah, it was specifically projects like this I was thinking of, where it's not unusual that something might get delayed a week. It's pretty useful then for moving all future parts at once, to ensure they get aligned properly, or to at least create a less granular revision to a timeline . And as mentioned above, the system slots in perfectly with the holiday system.

Plus it completely ignores the actual limits of the year, with a 53rd week at the end of december/start of january in some years.

Saladman posted:

You're Dutch right?
Reported.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Week numbering is totally logical and I have no problems with next December thirtieth and thirty‐first being in the first week of 2025, while the hoi polloi dates of 1, 2, and 3 January 2027 will in fact be rounding out the fifty‐third week of 2026.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antigravitas posted:

Week numbers are on there, of course.
Urlaub is a fun word. So is umwelt. And umgebung.

This may be why the most profound philosophers are mostly German, but so are the most insane.

Hollandansk.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It all comes down to what "weekend" means.

If "weekend" means "the end of the week" then the week should start on Monday and end on Sunday.

If "weekend" means "the ends" of the week then Sunday and Saturday are perfectly positioned at both ends of the week, like both ends of a rope.

Weekend means Brexit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's not "weekend" it's "weak-end" because it's when I regenerate all my power.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DTurtle posted:

Indeed: Guess the legend.

When people get paid? So weekly, monthly, uhhhh.... quarterly ?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Never.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Broadcast Calendar in the US uses week numbers and arbitrarily forces months to have fixed length weeks based on monday start of the week which results in astonishingly easy to remember things like the first day in the year of 2023 is December 26th

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Another question: if you're American, and it's currently Sunday and you want to talk about something that's on Tuesday in two day, would you say it's "next week"?

Excuse my disbelief, I just had to change calendar systems once and it shaked me to my very core.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiminewt posted:

Another question: if you're American, and it's currently Sunday and you want to talk about something that's on Tuesday in two day, would you say it's "next week"?

Excuse my disbelief, I just had to change calendar systems once and it shaked me to my very core.

I, personally, would just say it's on Tuesday. If it's the Tuesday that's 10 days away I'd say "Tuesday after next."

If I don't like someone I'd tell them "See You Next Tuesday."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

kiminewt posted:

I’d say that’s “this Tuesday” or “this week”, with “next Tuesday” being nine days away and “next week” starting the upcoming Sunday.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Almost!

I treated bi-weekly and semi-monthly as the same. And I left out daily.

Also, lots of sites out there are mixing up semi-monthly and bi-monthly.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 26, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Reveilled posted:

One of the reports at the company I work at uses week numbers, I think it's just so that year-to-year comparisons are standardised, like if you want to compare performance this week to performance last year, if this is week 13 you just pull up week 13 last year and week 13 the year before or week 13

My wife worked at a company in Switzerland where the manager of her store did something like this, but her manager compared day to day comparisons with the year before. Like, January 15th 2014 would be compared with January 15th 2013. This was a women's clothing shop in downtown, which meant this comparison was absolutely stupid as gently caress and utterly pointless, because you'd always have one terrible comparison (last year's Saturday to this year's not-Saturday), one great comparison (this year's Saturday to last year's not-Saturday), one Sunday comparison when the shop was closed, and then 3 midweek day comparisons. Her shop manager was absolutely the dumbest woman, so I'm not sure if it was a corporate central thing or just the idiot store manager. The whole company - national in Switzerland with probably several dozen shops - went out of business not too long after that. Shocking, given how good they were at comparing previous years to current years. But my wife worked only on Saturdays since it was a student job, so she always got great performance compared to her other colleagues since her Saturdays always beat out last year's random not-Saturdays in daily comparisons.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

oof

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

kiminewt posted:

Sunday is the first day of the week in the US, so if it were Sunday and the thing is on Tuesday you’d say “this coming Tuesday” or “Tuesday of this week”. The comparison you want is if it’s Friday and a thing is happening on Sunday, would you say that it’s happening “next week” and there the answer is “it depends”

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Every article I've seen mentions seven people missing and believed to be in the water so RIP to them

And the ship is apparently still on fire

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guavanaut posted:

Urlaub is a fun word. So is umwelt. And umgebung.

The best part about Urlaub is that I don't have to go to work :sun:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

kiminewt posted:

No in America the week starts on Sunday so that’s the same week.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 26, 2024

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Wouldnt you just say "blah blah blah on Tuesday blah blah blah"

I dunno why this is so weird, but I have murica brains so i cant conceptualize.

Saturday and Sunday are the two ends of the week, thus, they are the weekend.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Wouldnt you just say "blah blah blah on Tuesday blah blah blah"

I dunno why this is so weird, but I have murica brains so i cant conceptualize.

Saturday and Sunday are the two ends of the week, thus, they are the weekend.
Should be either the weekends, or the weekend/weekstart respectively

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
think of the week like a hamburger, where the weekends are the buns

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think the better way of forming the Tuesday question would be:
If it's currently Sunday and someone asks you "What are your plans for next week?" would you mention an event taking place on Tuesday in two days time?

For me, Sunday's a kind of liminal space, I think if I was asked that question on Saturday I'd definitely mention the event on Tuesday; if I was asked that question on Monday I'd definitely understand the question to be about the week starting on the next Monday; if asked on Sunday I think I'd need context clues to tell if they were talking about the next 7 days or the week after that, and failing that I'd have to clarify.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 26, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Tuesday question sounds like a very niche solution to the Polish question in the 19th century.

Palmerston: "Okay so both the Russian Empire and the German Empire get Poland, with ownership transferring on alternate weeks at midnight each Tuesday."
Bismarck and Gorchakov, checking watches: "But whose midnight?"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

think of the week like a hamburger, where the weekends are the buns
So you are in favor of option one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My almanac don't want none unless you've Sat/Suns hon

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saturday is the fun day with no obligations and anything can happen because all the obligations of the week are over. Sunday, even if you don't have religious obligations, is the day when you have to make sure you've gotten all the tasks done that need doing that weekend and be ready for the rest of the week ahead of you. You can't party hard or do anything late into the night because that'll gently caress up monday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sooners dot gif

Also Florida_HVAC dot gif

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nice Land Rush.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Why do the states/counties around Oklahoma seem to get more populous, but it takes a few extra years for OK to attract more people?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mmkay posted:

Why do the states/counties around Oklahoma seem to get more populous, but it takes a few extra years for OK to attract more people?

Reserved for Native American tribes until the 1900s

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yup

Guavanaut posted:

Sooners dot gif
is because a whole bunch of people ignored that and settled OK earlier, when on paper they should not have.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Saturday is the final day of the week because, like Abraham Heschel said, it's the climax of living. Anyone who wants to contest this must first produce documentation that they, too, marched alongside Rev. Dr. King from Selma to Montgomery.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think you can see at around the end of the 19th century, the steady westward sprawl kinda abates and recedes, even if places further west like Utah and Colorado are still filling out, and from then on a lot of the growth into empty areas gets really patchy and a lot of counties even decrease in density as people give up on country living in favor of urban areas. There's a bit of a rally around cities with the growth of suburbs, but at the end the map is looking a lot more speckly, and I'm sure that'd be even more pronounced if the map went past 2010.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think you can see at around the end of the 19th century, the steady westward sprawl kinda abates and recedes, even if places further west like Utah and Colorado are still filling out, and from then on a lot of the growth into empty areas gets really patchy and a lot of counties even decrease in density as people give up on country living in favor of urban areas. There's a bit of a rally around cities with the growth of suburbs, but at the end the map is looking a lot more speckly, and I'm sure that'd be even more pronounced if the map went past 2010.

It'd be interesting to see that kind of map for Japan, or those countries in Eastern Europe where the entire countryside is now depopulated, particularly Bulgaria and Romania where everyone is now either in the few bigger cities, or they are >75 years old living in derelict, mostly abandoned villages in the countryside.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

But Sunday is the last day, a day or rest. Because god rested on that day. Why is it the first day?? WHYYYY????

How do you not line up Sunday with Let There Be Light?

(Note: This is not a strongly-held position. I treat the standard week as running Sunday to Saturday for reasons of "I dunno, that's how all the calendars have it." This is probably a much more strongly-held position than appeals to Genesis.)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Vavrek posted:

How do you not line up Sunday with Let There Be Light?

(Note: This is not a strongly-held position. I treat the standard week as running Sunday to Saturday for reasons of "I dunno, that's how all the calendars have it." This is probably a much more strongly-held position than appeals to Genesis.)

But the sun wasn't made until the fourth day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Re: daysoftheweek

Under Jewish traditions, the day changes at sundown (the sun being created during the fourth day obviously night comes first). Saturday is also the Sabbath day, starting at sundown on Friday. Christian tradition says death on Friday, burial just before sundown, rests on Sabbath, resurrection on Sunday morning. So Christian celebration focuses on Sunday, moving the day of rest from the seventh day to the first. Muslim traditions agree the day of rest starts Friday, but Friday morning, making Saturday the first day. ISO, deciding everything is better off with a standard standardizes on Monday being the first day of the week, a position technically no religion agrees with.