Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I'm skeptical that the nascent Jesus movement was anything more than bystanders regarding the war but I'd love to know more about this argument.

I’ll see if I can find that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I mean, it's a reasonable guess if the prophet knows anything about the Romans.

"Oh you're gonna go toe to toe with the Romans? Yeah, you're gonna get roflstomped, let's get out of here"

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Yeah after 146 BC it was pretty clear to everyone in the Mediterranean that if you tried to escape from Roman rule in any meaningful way (or even in non-meaningful ways) that they could and would annihilate or displace your entire society.

Baptism update: It's Holy Week and today I was the narrator in the passion reading, which was fun. Getting baptized on Saturday during the vigil.

The old folks are church are mega hyped.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Good answers on my question on the Sadducees and Pharisees. Thank you.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I've started reading the Bible again. I'm at Deuteronomy 7.

Oh, more genocide. Goody.

edit:

Here are the ten commandments. Do not murder. Also do murder. Do all the murder. Show no mercy.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 25, 2024

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Euthyphro dilemma, we meet again

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Prurient Squid posted:

I've started reading the Bible again. I'm at Deuteronomy 7.

Oh, more genocide. Goody.

edit:

Here are the ten commandments. Do not murder. Also do murder. Do all the murder. Show no mercy.

Note that in most cases where it reads, "God said 'Do X'," there's no voice booming from the sky. Priests would cast lots (roll dice) and interpret the result as the will of God. So they'd roll a 6, and their interpretation book would say that means that God wants them to attack on the left flank (or whatever). That sort of thing went on routinely.

There's usually a lot going on in the background like that that they didn't write down because they assumed the reader would know. Thousands of years later, we don't know and taking it at face value can lead to a lot of weird conclusions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deteriorata posted:

Note that in most cases where it reads, "God said 'Do X'," there's no voice booming from the sky. Priests would cast lots (roll dice) and interpret the result as the will of God. So they'd roll a 6, and their interpretation book would say that means that God wants them to attack on the left flank (or whatever). That sort of thing went on routinely.

There's usually a lot going on in the background like that that they didn't write down because they assumed the reader would know. Thousands of years later, we don't know and taking it at face value can lead to a lot of weird conclusions.
I thought divination was ungodly and forboden

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nat 20 is the will of God

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nessus posted:

Here's a very commonly referenced method: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urim_and_Thummim

It's not clear exactly what they were, but their purpose was divination.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nessus posted:

This is a good example of why it's dangerous to prooftext, especially when it's not in the original language. Not calling you out, to be clear, just pointing out that a lot of nuance gets lost when taking passages out of context and that goes triple for Deuteronomy. To elaborate, divination outside of the Temple cult was ungodly and forbidden, but there's a bunch of Temple practices that fall under our modern definition of divination.

A frame that you should put on much of the Hebrew Bible is a struggle between the Temple cult and religious leaders in other cities or the countryside. Many of the practices that the Hebrew Bible condemns either as worshipping other gods or as just straight up forbidden were originally part of the accepted worship of YHVH but which were later condemned by the Temple cult as inappropriate. Divination was inappropriate specifically because it accessed YHVH outside of the approved ways at the Temple.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Azathoth posted:

This is a good example of why it's dangerous to prooftext, especially when it's not in the original language. Not calling you out, to be clear, just pointing out that a lot of nuance gets lost when taking passages out of context and that goes triple for Deuteronomy. To elaborate, divination outside of the Temple cult was ungodly and forbidden, but there's a bunch of Temple practices that fall under our modern definition of divination.

A frame that you should put on much of the Hebrew Bible is a struggle between the Temple cult and religious leaders in other cities or the countryside. Many of the practices that the Hebrew Bible condemns either as worshipping other gods or as just straight up forbidden were originally part of the accepted worship of YHVH but which were later condemned by the Temple cult as inappropriate. Divination was inappropriate specifically because it accessed YHVH outside of the approved ways at the Temple.
Yet that message continues forward, keeping Christians from the solace of the I Ching

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nessus posted:

Yet that message continues forward, keeping Christians from the solace of the I Ching

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Nessus posted:

My World Religions professor asked me to demonstrate how to consult the Yi Jing to the class. So I got my book and coins and did a public consultation on the question “Should I peruse that one young lady I like?” I cast the coins, read the passages, and provided an interpretation. I made it very clear this a demo, I am not asking anyone or anything to offer me insight into my question, nor was I going to implement any passages that called for action or inaction. Despite doing this, my Jewish friend who was in the same class was LIVID with me. She said “You’re Catholic, you know better than to use divination.” I reminded her I don’t actually consult the text as an oracle, but she was mad at me for the rest of the week!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ironically enough the first religious or spiritual lesson I can recall, other than some kind of illustrated Bible stories book that I had for some reason, was learning to read the coins from my dad.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

You know how you if you repeat affirmations enough your brain starts to believe them.

I figure the Course in Miracles Workbook must be having an effect on me!

I didn't realise going in how intensive it actually is. After the first 50 lessons the next 10 are review lessons. You repeat the first five lessons on the first day for 2m each throughout the day. Then the next five. So it works out to a pretty thorough discipline.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Putting the "divine" in "divination"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I learned dowsing with a pendulum out of one my mom's books as a kid, but purely as a demonstration of the ideomotor effect, I had no idea anyone associated anything spiritual with it until way later

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My World Religions professor asked me to demonstrate how to consult the Yi Jing to the class. So I got my book and coins and did a public consultation on the question “Should I peruse that one young lady I like?” I cast the coins, read the passages, and provided an interpretation. I made it very clear this a demo, I am not asking anyone or anything to offer me insight into my question, nor was I going to implement any passages that called for action or inaction. Despite doing this, my Jewish friend who was in the same class was LIVID with me. She said “You’re Catholic, you know better than to use divination.” I reminded her I don’t actually consult the text as an oracle, but she was mad at me for the rest of the week!

My mother's granny wouldn't let her play with a set of playing cards on a Sunday because that was gambling!

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
It is also worth noting that the opposition to various types of divination in Christianity historically comes as much from Aristotelian ethics and the idea of the proper and natural use of things as it does from scripture. There are also different kinds of divination and fortune-telling some of which might be acceptable and others not.

For example divination based on necromancy might be forbidden because talking to the dead violates the natural order. Casting a horoscope based on the stars and planets, however, might be fine because you are simply interpreting the signs that God has left. There was certainly a lot of this up through the Middle Ages and Early Modern period: providing data to cast better horoscopes was what both Brahe and Kepler were actually paid to do.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I also had no idea until really recently that tarot is a card game! I had associated the cards strictly with fortune telling lol

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I also had no idea until really recently that tarot is a card game! I had associated the cards strictly with fortune telling lol

Huh. Same until now.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

Not according to this book I found in Tokyo:

Rough Translation (top to bottom):

To undo the seal of 2000 years of Christianity

The Bible and Divination

One shocking book that interprets from the I Ching!

Once Western elites learn the contents of this book, they will something something (too low res to translate reliably).

A_Bluenoser posted:

For example divination based on necromancy might be forbidden because talking to the dead violates the natural order. Casting a horoscope based on the stars and planets, however, might be fine because you are simply interpreting the signs that God has left. There was certainly a lot of this up through the Middle Ages and Early Modern period: providing data to cast better horoscopes was what both Brahe and Kepler were actually paid to do.
I know the Church Fathers tended to dislike astrology, largely because the idea that we can read our fates in the stars can be interpreted as a denial of free will. Of course, the Church teaching something and the laity listening are different things.

Cleromancy is, on the other hand, still occasionally used in Christianity, probably specifically because of its Biblical pedigree:

Wikipedia posted:

The Eastern Orthodox Church still occasionally uses this method of selection. In 1917, Metropolitan Tikhon became Patriarch of Moscow by the drawing of lots. The Coptic Orthodox Church uses drawing lots to choose the Coptic pope, most recently done in November 2012 to choose Pope Tawadros II. German Pietist Christians in the 18th century often followed the New Testament precedent of drawing lots to determine the will of God. They often[quantify] did so by selecting a random Bible passage. The most extensive use of drawing of lots in the Pietist tradition may have come with Count von Zinzendorf and the Moravian Brethren of Herrnhut, who drew lots for many purposes, including selection of church sites, approval of missionaries, the election of bishops, and many others. This practice was greatly curtailed after the General Synod of the worldwide Moravian Unity in 1818[citation needed] and finally discontinued in the 1880s. Many Amish customarily select ordinary preachers by lot. (Note that the Greek word for "lot" (kleros) serves as the etymological root for English words like "cleric" and "clergy" as well as for "cleromancy".)[4]

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Killingyouguy! posted:

Steven Wright posted:

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A_Bluenoser posted:

It is also worth noting that the opposition to various types of divination in Christianity historically comes as much from Aristotelian ethics and the idea of the proper and natural use of things as it does from scripture. There are also different kinds of divination and fortune-telling some of which might be acceptable and others not.

Aristotelian ethics, sure maybe, but imperial persecution of pagan practice, which has a strong emphasis on divination as means to communicate with their God(s), definitely.

quote:

The Christianization of the Roman world occurred gradually over several centuries.

Constantine the Great (d. 337) was the first Roman emperor to adopt Christianity and to give the Church official status in the Roman Empire. Constantine instituted the Edict of Milan in 313 CE that allowed the freedom of worship for all in the empire. Constantine went on to create the city of Byzantium (later renamed Constantinople) in 324 CE that would become the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire.

It was during the reign of Constans, the youngest son of Constantine, that the first prohibition of pagan sacrifice is found in a law code in 341 CE. According to this prohibition, “The madness of sacrifices shall be abolished. For if any man in violation of the law of the sainted Emperor, Our father, and in violation of this command of our Clemency, should dare to perform sacrifices, he shall suffer the infliction of a suitable punishment."

It is not clear exactly to who this law was directed, although it could have included not only pagans but too soothsayers and those who used other magic practices. This law was also not rigorously policed and it seems that sacrifice continued in Rome. Several additional laws were issued between 353 and 360 CE in which the prohibition of sacrifice on pain of death was reinforced and the venerating of pagan images and divination outlawed.

quote:

It was under the reign of emperor Theodosius I (r. 379-395) that Christianity became the official state religion. Theodosius instituted severe legislation against paganism in the empire which saw practices like public and private sacrifice, the decoration of sacred trees, and the creating of turf altars made treasonable crimes. Pagan holidays dedicated to the gods were made normal working days. Despite this, the old Roman pagan religions continued to be practiced by the urban elite and the rural common people. Even by the time of Theodosius’s death, roughly half of the Roman population, it has been estimated, was still pagan. It was becoming clear, however, that being pagan seemed unprofitable in career terms as Theodosius’s successors continued to institute laws against paganism. For instance Emperor Leo I banned pagans from the legal profession around 468 CE. There did remain some religious toleration in the Byzantine Empire during the fifth and early sixth centuries, especially under the reign of Anastasius (r. 491-518). Various cities and towns, including Athens, Alexandria, Gaza, and others, remained centers of Hellenic pagan thought and practice.

Paganism experienced further affliction under the reign of Byzantine emperor Justinian I (r. 527–565). Under Justinian, orthodox Christianity was imposed on his subjects and pagans were made to report to churches to be baptized and receive Christian instruction. If this was resisted, the penalty would be the confiscation of property and the loss of citizenship. Christians caught practicing pagan rituals could face the death penalty. Further, the schools of Athens were closed in 529 CE, the works of the classical thinkers were devalued, non-Christians were banned from teaching, and there are accounts of pagans being prosecuted in Antioch between 554 and 559. The guilty could face various punishments including working in hospitals, imprisonment in monasteries, or execution.

https://jamesbishopblog.com/2020/11/20/paganisms-suppression-and-retreat-under-the-christianization-of-rome/

There is a difference between Christian and pagan divination to the practitioner, absolutely, but if people are being prosecuted and imprisoned for the "wrong kind" of divination a whole lot of folks are going to just take the note that it's unsafe to practice at all. This suppression reinforces the idea of divination being a non-normative, aberrant, or forbidden practice, even if the root of the problem at the time was not that people were performing rites of divination at all, but they were performing these religious rites for proscribed Gods.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Keromaru5 posted:

Not according to this book I found in Tokyo:

Rough Translation (top to bottom):

To undo the seal of 2000 years of Christianity

The Bible and Divination

One shocking book that interprets from the I Ching!

Once Western elites learn the contents of this book, they will something something (too low res to translate reliably).

I know the Church Fathers tended to dislike astrology, largely because the idea that we can read our fates in the stars can be interpreted as a denial of free will. Of course, the Church teaching something and the laity listening are different things.

Cleromancy is, on the other hand, still occasionally used in Christianity, probably specifically because of its Biblical pedigree:

On a practical level, how do you know it's God controlling the outcome and not something else? I don't see how the dice or whatever is being used is divinely protected.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have a book called "Drawing Down the Moon: Magic in the Greco-Roman World" and the chapter on divination includes this:

quote:

All forms of divination in the ancient Greco-Roman world seek special information from the divine to deal with some kind of extra-ordinary crisis, but the actual means could differ widely, from reading meaning in a chance sneeze or twitch of the eye to receiving the information directly from a god. There are various ways in which this range of methods may be categorized, and there is an unusual amount of evidence from antiquity about the ways the kinds of divination were imagined to work. All of the major philosophical schools propounded theories about divination, abstracting and systematizing the principles by which the unphilosophical practiced divination. Some divination is understood on the model of speech as interpersonal communication between deity and mortal, while other kinds are seen on the model of writing as impersonal communication that involves the decipherment of signs. In the Phaedrus, Plato draws the fundamental distinction between inspired prophecy and other forms of divination through signs, and this dichotomy remains basic to all subsequent discussions, whether described as direct and indirect, natural and technical, interpersonal and textual, or otherwise. Plato connects the art of the mantis with mania, madness, arguing that the inspired diviners of the oracular shrines at Delphi and Dodona do their divinatory work while out of their minds.21 By contrast, those who read the signs of birds or other omens work rationally to interpret the meanings.22

In the Phaedrus, Plato privileges the divine communications that come through prophetic madness (just as he privileges oral communication over textual), and the inspired prophet continues to present the more exceptional figure throughout the tradition, as the proverb attests, “Many are the lot-throwers [thrioboloi], but the diviners [manteis] are few.”23 Inspired prophecy requires direct contact and communication between the divine and the mortal, a rare and special event that requires either the god to reach out to the mortal or the mortal to the god. In either case, a mortal who comes into proximity with the divine must be unusually pure or extraordinarily favored by the deity, and the strain of the contact may be extreme, as in the depictions of the raving diviner Cassandra.24 Some theories of prophetic divination imagine the connection between god and mortal only in the most immortal and divine part of the mortal, the soul. The soul, when the diviner is in a trance or asleep, may be freer to establish contact with the divine, and Platonic philosophers such as Plutarch and Iamblichus devote no little effort to working out how such a process might operate in accordance with their ideas of the soul and the nature of the cosmic order.25 Those whose souls are better able to make contact with the divine are the best diviners, whether they communicate with the god in a dream or in an ecstatic trance.

If the inspired prophets capable of making such direct contacts with the divine are few and far between, indirect communication may still happen through a number of means. The gods make signs in the phenomenal world that indicate their messages, and divination becomes the art of interpreting such signs. The movement of a bird in the sky, a flash of lightning and thunder, or even the shape of the liver of a sacrificial animal may be a message sent from a god to the mortal who observes it. In some cases, the divine act of signification is in the particular sign or omen, but some philosophical theories generalize this idea into a systematic view of the cosmos—the whole natural order is a sign system that can be read.26 In his treatise on divination, Cicero describes the Stoic idea.

quote:

In the beginning, the universe was so created that certain results would be preceded by certain signs, which are given sometimes by entrails and by birds, sometimes by lightnings, by portents, and by stars, sometimes by dreams, and sometimes by utterances of persons in a frenzy.27
The benevolence of the gods assures us that they must want to provide us with help; therefore, divination of the signs that they leave must be possible.

which I find somewhat at odds with the idea an opposition to divination would arise based on practicing divination not being a part of "the natural use of things." Divination is performed through bearing witness to and interpreting signs of the natural order. But since it was so central to Hellenistic religion, smothering the practice completely gels with the motivations of a Christian Roman Empire.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Azathoth posted:

On a practical level, how do you know it's God controlling the outcome and not something else? I don't see how the dice or whatever is being used is divinely protected.
In Taoism and the I Ching, everything is the way and reflects it. In my opinion, the I Ching is a reflection of a deep spirituality and understanding of the human condition. It was ultimately intended as a tool to help people grow in wisdom rather than to anticipate specific events. So within that context, it is best used to understand how to be in accordance with things, in a situation or in terms of personal growth.

The problem is imperfect people asking discordant questions, then interpreting them imperfectly. People are possessed rather than coins or yarrow stalks imo.

dildo sample pack
Nov 27, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had an in-person conversation for the first time since 2017 with the vocation director at a nearby monastery yesterday and enjoyed the conversation a lot! He told me my ex-fiance who asked me to marry her last November and who I broke up with earlier this month is a gift from God and I should get back together with her and marry her. He said I will never be a monk and told me I'm a confused person whose confusion is a condition that can't be changed. The thought of getting back together with my ex-fiance would seem more palatable to me if she were better-looking and younger and more successful in life. In any case, I am grateful because I think I have it good and enjoy my life. Thanks be to God!!!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

They can be used for many things if you approach with an open mind. But nobody in the modern world does.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Orbs posted:

They can be used for many things if you approach with an open mind. But nobody in the modern world does.

tarot cards considered harmful as building materials

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LAB can’t remember if I brought it up or not, Elaine Pagels is somebody I think you should read. If you haven’t already.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh dang her stuff does look interesting. I will, thank you!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

tarot cards considered harmful as building materials
By whom? They can build lots of beautiful things.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Bit of a vibe change in Deuteronomy.

"For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. 18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. 19 And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt. 20 Fear the Lord your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name. 21 He is the one you praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes. 22 Your ancestors who went down into Egypt were seventy in all, and now the Lord your God has made you as numerous as the stars in the sky."

Glad to see God has calmed down a bit. He's had his snickers and his morning coffee and is live, laugh loving.

edit:

"29 The Lord your God will cut off before you the nations you are about to invade and dispossess. But when you have driven them out and settled in their land, 30 and after they have been destroyed before you, be careful not to be ensnared by inquiring about their gods, saying, “How do these nations serve their gods? We will do the same.” 31 You must not worship the Lord your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the Lord hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods."

Ah, partly this is about opposing human sacrifice. I still think genocide is a bit of a severe remedy. I'd try talking to them first.

"Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk."

Weirdly specific.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 26, 2024

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Orbs posted:

By whom? They can build lots of beautiful things.

carpenters, mostly

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

carpenters, mostly
lol, but :wrong: My dad is a carpenter and he said Tarot can be used to build stuff, especially if the card backings are solid enough.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

"Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk."

Weirdly specific.

Your translation might've obscured this but it's the precise re-iteration of a prohibition that appeared twice in Exodus. But in Exodus the context implies it's a rule for sacrifices only, while it's it to everyday life. So while the Deuteronomist doesn't know it, he's laying the foundation for a key way that Jewish religious practice and identity will survive in exile: it will soon become a general prohibition on mixing meat and milk in any form.

Here's a good article about it:

quote:

The Deuteronomist transforms the cultic prohibition in Exodus into a general dietary law: From this perspective, a suckling animal is as forbidden for eating as an animal that was found dead. This generalization of the prohibition in Deuteronomy corresponds to Deuteronomy’s tendency towards “secularization,” i.e., the centralization of the sanctuary and the creation of a general and public profane sphere, which finds also expression in the expansion of profane legislation.

https://www.thetorah.com/article/do-not-cook-a-kid-still-suckling-its-mothers-milk

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 26, 2024

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

As I soldier towards the end of Deuteronomy I think I'm going to return to Carl Jung's Answer to Job. Where he puts the Old Testament deity on the psychiatrists couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Orbs posted:

lol, but :wrong: My dad is a carpenter and he said Tarot can be used to build stuff, especially if the card backings are solid enough.

My dad says you couldn't, so I guess we're gonna have to have our dads fight