Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

Some new players got excited when they found the stratagem game in my spaceship. I tried it afterwards and only just noticed one of the stratagems you type in is for "orbital illumination flare". How long has that been in there?

It's been there since launch, but I've never seen that stratagem itself. Possibly a mission-based freebie for dark planets that we haven't seen yet or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hakarne posted:

A shrieker nest appears in the distance. We're on an overlook with no enemies nearby.

Me, carrying a grenade launcher with supply pack: "Hey, if you kill those shrieker towers with your autocannon I'll feed you ammo from my backpack!"

Pubbie with autocannon and a full ammo pack: "Oh it can damage those?"

Me: "Yeah it takes 10 shots to destroy each spire and you can hit them from right here across the map before they even spawn shriekers!"

Pubbie with autocannon: "Awesome, that sounds good!"

*Pubbie continues on like nothing happened, charges with the rest of the group into the shrieker nest to hellbomb it, and we lose 10+ reinforcements during the effort. The group never fully recovers and death spirals into a failure cascade.*

Me: :wtc:

i was clearing a map with some pubbies and about 2/3 the way through, we passed by the extraction on the way to the next objective. Naturally, i dropped my samples at the spot, so they would be safe in case i died farther away.

of course, a pubbie comes up and grabs them. I calmly explain to them that i left the samples on the ground for a reason and then teach them how to drop the samples. It took a bit of coaxing, but they eventually dropped the samples. I thanked them for listening, and even gave them a hug

after running about 10 meters away, they turned around and grabbed the samples again

pubbies, pubbies never change

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

Quicksilver6 posted:

I just like fighting the bots because the game becomes MGS V without the Kojima pretentiousness, but with multiplayer.

Went solo on some bot missions last night after a few bad squads and had a pretty good time stealthing them

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

sushibandit posted:

Nah, there have been plenty of occasions where I or a teammate walk (not sprint) or crouchwalk around a corner in a POI and the firing animation from a rocket trooper or devastator is already playing, resulting in an instakill if we aren't running shieldpack. Not spotted en-route or detected before that point. There's pretty blatant fuckery with the AI when it comes to rocket targeting.

I have literally never seen this happen. Even on the difficulties where they spawn 3-4 rocket devastators alongside rocketbots. I have never seen an idle bot prefire, ever. The first thing they do is look for you with their red laser eyes.

I also repeek rocket devastators all the time, they definitely don't prefire or I'd be dead. There is a very obvious and predictable tell for the rockets and they definitely need a target in LOS to start the animation. If you shoulder peek or w/e and they start the animation you need to wait a few seconds.

E: and I agree with you on rocket velocity honestly, more so for just getting rocketed out of nowhere from across the map.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 26, 2024

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I swapped off EATs and back to the autocannon for bots and life suddenly became much easier since I could delete entire packs of the midsize bots.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

That’s why you sort out rounds and round order before kicking off the trigger (touching the console)

That doesn't matter at all. It's purely time and distance from the objective.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ravenfood posted:

That doesn't matter at all. It's purely time and distance from the objective.

What? I'm pretty sure that interacting with an objective at least draws patrols, even if it doesn't spawn them.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I read it on the Internet, it must be true.

I also read about rebinding stim to 'q' as well as the quick chat and I just gave up reading any info on helldivers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

as far as I can tell, just being near the SEAFART will spawn patrols that beeline for it, especially if the primary objective is already done

depending on where they spawned it might seem like the terminal set them off, but I think that's just coincidence

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I wish you could throw your sample container as if it were a strategem ball. being able to chuck them out to safety as you're getting swarmed by bugs would feel cool as hell. especially if it's like, one common sample lol

Icedude posted:

dark planets

:staredog:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fabricated posted:

I swapped off EATs and back to the autocannon for bots and life suddenly became much easier since I could delete entire packs of the midsize bots.

Yeah the biggest problem with bugs are the super-heavies, so you need EATs or something big. That loadout is a bit weak to the spewers, but primaries and grenades can still take care of them if nothing's available. Autocannons are great spewer/hole deleters, but are kinda hosed when the super-heavies are everywhere.

The biggest problem with bots are the swarms of midsize bots that the autocannon outright deletes. Plus, the autocannon can take out hulks straight on (though can be dicey), or turrets/tanks with good positioning.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Being in proximity to any sub objective increases the spawn rate of patrols while you're within, iirc, 150m until that objective is completed. Maybe the reason people feel like the SEAF artillery in particular draws patrols to you is that it occupies a large section of relatively flat ground so the pathing is simpler. Patrols around other objectives can get caught up wiggling around, or have to path past them rather than over them (like in the case of the data upload towers or radar towers) Interacting with consoles etc. has been proven to do nothing to spawns.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tbh Ive never been impressed with SEAF arty. Needs a much faster reload time, like 6 seconds.

Folks scramble around praying for a mini nuke but rest is seldom a gamechanger

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-S6rPv60DA

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I absolutely hate that the minefield is in the "kill x number of enemies with y" rotation.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FeculentWizardTits posted:

I absolutely hate that the minefield is in the "kill x number of enemies with y" rotation.

I wish it was random for everyone, so we didn't have days where everyone takes minefields, or everyone takes machinegun, or whatever else.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Icedude posted:

It's been there since launch, but I've never seen that stratagem itself. Possibly a mission-based freebie for dark planets that we haven't seen yet or something?

This would look pretty cool with torches and laser weapons going off

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if I get a minor order for a strat I don't much like, I'll just cheese it out on medium eradications

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Throw minefields at nearby patrols while remaining hidden, they will go to investigate noise and blow themselves up on the mines all while you remain out of combat and they attract even more patrols to the minefield from the explosion noises, just be sure your teammates are on the same page and don't immediately start shooting everything in the mines direction.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tommy the Newt posted:

Being in proximity to any sub objective increases the spawn rate of patrols while you're within, iirc, 150m until that objective is completed. Maybe the reason people feel like the SEAF artillery in particular draws patrols to you is that it occupies a large section of relatively flat ground so the pathing is simpler. Patrols around other objectives can get caught up wiggling around, or have to path past them rather than over them (like in the case of the data upload towers or radar towers) Interacting with consoles etc. has been proven to do nothing to spawns.

The issue isn't spawns, the issue is pathing. Interacting with objectives gives patrols a waypoint to come over to investigate.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ravendas posted:

I wish it was random for everyone, so we didn't have days where everyone takes minefields, or everyone takes machinegun, or whatever else.

Idk progress is shared so this just means everyone in the party is going to be contributing towards the goal which is a-ok with me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ravendas posted:

This. It gets silly, for the reason you have explained.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My initial reaction to everyone having the same mission was aversion, but honestly it is pretty funny to have everyone using the same bullshit to clear their dailies and I will always stand with funny.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I went and did a Trivial mission because I was 1 bug kill short on the Eagle Strafing Run daily, but it didn’t count anyway.

I’ve befriended a level 47 and a level 50 pubbies who spam invites to me every time they see me on. They play the game weirdly and in wild ways. They’re not particularly interested in samples, main objectives, or bonus objectives or points of interest. Maybe they’re totally maxed out on upgrades so that’s why they don’t care. Really all they care about is killing bugs. They beeline every bug they see and fight all of them.

We’re easily clearing level 7s with just the three of us, but the level of aggression is hilarious. They die a lot picking huge fights for no reason but they don’t care. That’s the whole point of why they’re playing, trying to make Kill Bug Number go up. Main objective and Extraction are just stuff to do along the way.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My impression of mines are that they are a really great tool to piss off your teammates and do almost nothing to the enemies.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Fangz posted:

The issue isn't spawns, the issue is pathing. Interacting with objectives gives patrols a waypoint to come over to investigate.

Never seen any indication that this is the case and I've played an embarrassing amount of this game. You can use a console within view of a patrol and it will not alter its direction at all, you can also use the radar with a teammate to interact with one and check the local area for spawns, there's no relationship between using consoles and patrols spawns or pathing. There are also quite a lot of longwinded analyses on patrol spawns and behaviour floating around, I'll try to find a link after work.

Again, I believe that the feeling that the patrol zeroes in on you on the SEAF in particular is just because the SEAF spawns on flat ground and doesn't have the terrain features that'd force patrols to path around it.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp8xuf_dLDw

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 26, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mesadoram posted:

My impression of mines are that they are a really great tool to piss off your teammates and do almost nothing to the enemies.

I remember being on call with a friend after dropping a minefield and telling him to remind me that I dropped mines in that spot. Cue me five minutes later dying to one of the mines and bursting into laughter. Totally worth it.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Tommy the Newt posted:

Never seen any indication that this is the case and I've played an embarrassing amount of this game. You can use a console within view of a patrol and it will not alter its direction at all, you can also use the radar with a teammate to interact with one and check the local area for spawns, there's no relationship between using consoles and patrols spawns or pathing. There are also quite a lot of longwinded analyses on patrol spawns and behaviour floating around, I'll try to find a link after work.

Again, I believe that the feeling that the patrol zeroes in on you on the SEAF in particular is just because the SEAF spawns on flat ground and doesn't have the terrain features that'd force patrols to path around it.

I agree with this.

I’ve done entire SEAFs solo with patrols pathing around me the entire time. Never fired a shot. I’ve done it both ways - console first, shells 2nd, and stack 5 shells then hit the console - it doesn’t matter.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ZearothK posted:

I remember being on call with a friend after dropping a minefield and telling him to remind me that I dropped mines in that spot. Cue me five minutes later dying to one of the mines and bursting into laughter. Totally worth it.

Watching your giblets fly through the air after you realize what you've done is the cherry on top.

In theory, dropping it on a bug burst would be a really great idea. But it just doesn't work enough to be worth a stratagem slot.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Throwing a minefield into a bug breach of course has the added risk of the strategem ball sticking to a bug that happily brings it right back into the middle of your team :)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Icedude posted:

Throwing a minefield into a bug breach of course has the added risk of the strategem ball sticking to a bug that happily brings it right back into the middle of your team :)

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Re. the minefield, I need to double-check but I'm pretty sure the same scavenger at the front of the breach blew up and its body bounched to 3 - 4 other mines, effectively clearing a path for other bugs through the middle. I've also seen bugs walk clear over mines withhout triggering explosions. The fact that they can't kill medium bugs like bile spitters despite being explosive damage right under their heads is also infuriating. It's a truly garbage stratagem and would need to either have a dramatically shortened cooldown or a serious increase in reliability before I'd consider using it for serious business missions.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

I mean, I've watched a patrol walk past the artillery piece I was turning on and they didn't budge, so I don't think that's true.

I really think artillery in general has a bigger issue because of the sight lines making people fire on oncoming patrols they don't need to and the inordinate amount of time people spend near them. With most of the other objectives, you get in, hit a button or two or blow up a nest, and gently caress off. With artillery you can be quick but as soon as people start getting precious about what shells they are loading and their order and/or only have one person trying to accomplish it, things can get hosed. People sometimes spend so much time there.

I think you're right that pathing plays a part, but I don't think it's scripted. I think it's an emergent property of the artillery sites being flat and open so when a patrol does activate, they can come to you with no funneling at all, plus I think people get twitchy watching bugs walk near you without shooting, which starts a patrol-breach-patrol cycle. That, and loading shells takes your weapon away for longer than any of the other side objective I can think of, which also I think makes people trigger happy.

They aren't bad, imo, just more musing that they could be easier if people hit them quick with the intent of loading and then getting out. It's like when people stick around near a stalker nest for ages instead of pushing into it. Keep dealing with those invisible bugs I guess.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Tommy the Newt posted:

Re. the minefield, I need to double-check but I'm pretty sure the same scavenger at the front of the breach blew up and its body bounched to 3 - 4 other mines, effectively clearing a path for other bugs through the middle. I've also seen bugs walk clear over mines withhout triggering explosions. The fact that they can't kill medium bugs like bile spitters despite being explosive damage right under their heads is also infuriating. It's a truly garbage stratagem and would need to either have a dramatically shortened cooldown or a serious increase in reliability before I'd consider using it for serious business missions.

Since enemies like to conga line I pretty much always see the first few enemies get blown up but by doing so create a route through the 75% of remaining mines that enemies just walk through.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0RW63gv4e4

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I've done plenty of objectives in scout armor, just chilling and hiding as patrols go by. Patrols might path near you, but you can be sneaky about it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Had a mission last night that was pitch black running through a forest during driving rain. Literally couldn't see poo poo more than 5 meters away. Every stratagem was a brief illumination, punctuated by laser fire. The mission started out like a regular night, and the weather just kept getting worse and visibility kept getting worse, and it lasted that way for ~30 of the 40 minutes of the mission. We took out the last objective and dawn broke and the weather cleared and we could actually see as we ran for extraction.

It was an awesome experience, but not necessarily one I want to do again any time soon.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Bleeding out they crawl their hardest to crush my loving EMS mortar. :argh:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Captain Ironblood posted:

I've done plenty of objectives in scout armor, just chilling and hiding as patrols go by. Patrols might path near you, but you can be sneaky about it.

Don't shoot gun at bugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Mines are a spectacular trolling tool and should only ever be placed in front of evac bunkers and objective terminals