Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

can't srtop gettin killd by demons on account of my cheeks bein dummy thicc and givin me away with its double barrel blast of rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If anyone doesn't have Quake II or Deadlink on Steam, here you go:

777W9-8EFQX-5RWNL
E4ZRJ-2JRJB-HJ9DM

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

777W9-8EFQX-5RWNL
E4ZRJ-2JRJB-HJ9DM

Thanks, I grabbed Deadlink!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the brigador guys are weird, their friends from the ycs (the old subforum from here) offsite edited chatlogs to make me look like a rhodesia guy and tried to get me banned here, bc a friend sent me screencaps of the guy saying 'i was just apologising to get out of trouble i didnt mean it' on the weird ycs offsite immediately after apologising, and i posted the screencaps (solely bc it was an extremely funny move to immediately walk back)

this was a couple years ago now so maybe he did really make amends, idk, i lost interest right after.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I really wish I didn't understand the concept of "a rhodesia guy". And I also wish that it just wasn't a concept that we needed in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty four.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've always thought rhodeisas were a bleh flower, so if you're a rhodesia guy, just forget about it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think you're thinking of azaleas

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Random Stranger posted:

777W9-8EFQX-5RWNL
E4ZRJ-2JRJB-HJ9DM

Grabbed quake 2, you're awesome

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
picked up half life again on hard this time, for a challenge rather than Interactive Story. it's not so bad if you can 1shot soldiers reliably with magnum

e: this run is particularly broken, tons of weird poo poo happening. phantom deaths, green lasers shooting out of all explosives etc

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 25, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Black Mesa was also haunted

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
With all the scientists that died there? You bet it was. And that's pre-invasion! Those fuckers had rivers of irradiated sludge just flowing through the facility. No guardrails.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished the 'First Person Shooter' doc a few days ago. To be honest, I don't have a lot to comment on it, it has a very neutral, almost neutered perspective so it isn't a doc that says particularly anything interesting, and well, I knew 95% of the things it said, so it isn't like I gained new insights. While it's long, it covers so much that don't go deep in any particular game, either. Something I noticed it's very American-centric, it doesn't mention games like Operation Flashpoint, Stalker or Metro, which all come from the old continent.

Although... I will use the chance to talk of Half Life 1. In the doc, and also in the Valve documentary from some months ago for the 25th anniversary, they highlight how it was a revolution at the moment, how it was so immersive and the base was alive with all npcs moving around and talking, how the scripted moments were spectacular, etc, etc, we all have played it.

What I wanted to comment is how somehow, no one comments one of the key aspects of how Valve was able to do it in the first place, while the competition wasn't able to.

**-Money-**

I don't want to say the HL developers weren't talented, OBVIOUSLY they were, you can't do a game like that without great talent. That's common sense.

But one of the key aspects of HL1 was that it was an AAA game when the competition was making the equivalent of AA games. They were funded by millionaires coming from Microsoft (apart from Sierra), not from a few guys in a garage.
While other studios were really a small 10-15 people group, Valve did a big bet, with 30 people making the game, at the time that was a fairly big studio.
While at the time people made games in a year and a half, they had the money to delay their game and rework it and polish it when they saw it wasn't as good as they liked it, needing 2 years and a half. And you know how in a company time IS money.
While at the time lots of devs created their own engine, they were smarter (and had the pockets for) to buy a license for the Quake source code.
The famous HL tram intro? Why no other dev had something similar until that moment? Think about it, it was full of custom animations and models that you only saw in that intro, like the famous loading mech inspired in the one from Aliens. That was an expense that lots of other devs couldn't afford to!
One of the things that is commented in every drat making of/video/interview with Valve is the user focus-led design and testing, where they introduce normal players as very early testers and iterate on the design of the game with their feedback. Well, if that method works so well, why wasn't used before? In part, because iterating so much, so early is expensive, not everyone can do it. Most devs have to rush to the finish goal because there are deadlines, and deadlines exist because money is finite.

HL1 was kinda the equivalent of CDP making The Witcher 3 or Square doing FF7 or Larian making Baldur's Gate 3, a great game that was enabled by injecting lots of cash to make a super production that up to that time it hadn't been seen in that genre.

Now that I write it, I guess this is all obvious in hindsight, but I had never thought about it really. HL1 was part of my teenage years, and around that time I didn't think nor I knew two shits about the game industry, game development or game budgets; and decades later when I actually know about these subjects, but HL1 was still in my mind on the same indistinct pile of old games, as if all had the same circumstances in their making. And of course in these making of videos it's all fluff about passion and innovation and no one comments the realities of cold, harsh money, as if back then people didn't have salaries like now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Boomer/retro/whatever shooter post:

I've been throwing to the pile a bunch of shooters to play and jeez, I really need to clear a few from my backlog:

-Deadlink: I owned it already before this last humble bundle thing (I don't even remember getting it lol)
-Industria: got it for cheap, looks cool.
-Ultrakill: finally got it via bundle but this one, while I liked the demos is not high on my list.
-Turbo Overkill: I think I should give it a go right now before anything else
-Prodeus: via bundle, I know that I'll enjoy it from what I've played (first level)
-Wrath Aeon of Ruin: maaaaybe should give it some time for some extra patches while I beat other games.
-Graven: I really wanted this one to be good but it seems that thanks to the whole Slipgate Ironworks/3D Realms fuckery it never reached what it wanted sooooo it'll be on hold for a while too.
-Hands of Necromancy: I started the first level. Basically Heretic/Hexen? I'll find the mood to play it eventually.
-Forgive me Father 2: I kinda liked the first one, did few runs and this one is in EA so oven time for it.

Currently playing to beat them:
-Postal: Brain Damaged one level at a time. Not bad, I'm seven levels in and feels like Painkiller mixed with modern Doom games. Better gunplay than I expected.
-Zortch: I'm on e4m2 and while it's decent, I can't play more than two maps in a sitting or I get bored by the enemy design.

I think that's it? I don't know if I can clear all of these this year considering that I'm throwing playstation and xbox games into the mix but there's a lot to shoot in that list.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How is Deadlink, anyway? Don't recall seeing it mentioned here.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

How is Deadlink, anyway? Don't recall seeing it mentioned here.

It's a FPS in roguelite format, which usually aren't commented a lot here. Games like Deadlink, Gunfire Reborn and Roboquest are more commented on the roguelike thread of SA.

It's kinda adjacent to Doom Eternal in the style of gameplay. It's fairly solid in the fundamentals, but the feeling that gave me is that is was a very one note style, play for two hours and you see what the game offers.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Need a mod for Half-Life where you play as an OSHA inspector *during* the alien invasion but you're still on the clock and have to audit violations you see while fending off the aliens.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Need a mod for Half-Life where you play as an OSHA inspector *during* the alien invasion but you're still on the clock and have to audit violations you see while fending off the aliens.

This is what G-man is doing there, and also why they called in the military. The dimensional cascade/aliens just happened at the same time

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

skasion posted:

This is what G-man is doing there, and also why they called in the military. The dimensional cascade/aliens just happened at the same time

Valve could have absolutely said "He's an OSHA inspector" when people started speculating what the G-Man's deal was but unfortunately they're a conglomerate of cowards :argh:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that I write it, I guess this is all obvious in hindsight, but I had never thought about it really. HL1 was part of my teenage years, and around that time I didn't think nor I knew two shits about the game industry, game development or game budgets; and decades later when I actually know about these subjects, but HL1 was still in my mind on the same indistinct pile of old games, as if all had the same circumstances in their making. And of course in these making of videos it's all fluff about passion and innovation and no one comments the realities of cold, harsh money, as if back then people didn't have salaries like now.

Good post OP and I admit I never thought about it that way either, so thanks for pointing it out!
Similar thoughts on the doc, watched it a while ago. They spent less than two minutes on Blood, that's criminal!! (but yeah no I did enjoy it, good comfort food)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBnOJK957yw

:wtc:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s an awful trailer if it’s meant to be selling a game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really want the action figures

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That’s an awful trailer if it’s meant to be selling a game

Remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_41JpwqdE

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't checked (yet) but if you told me the marketers for STRAFE were the same people working on BEARS IN SPACE, I would not even be surprised

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll raise you this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWgb2tTxOno

Too much marketing for a game that sucked lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This just makes me want to play stafe though

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'll be honest, I'll always appreciate when they decide to advertise a game with old '90s-'00s commercial aesthetics. I don't think any of the ones that have have actually been good (and some of them, like the new Commander Keen, never ever came out), but that's kinda a side issue.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/pixel_axel/status/1772080338019270745

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm ashamed to admit that this trailer sold me on the game back then and jesus christ was that disappointment palpable.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah same, that and being like the very first of the retro shooter wave we had incoming. Fortunately stuff after it came out better

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah it's a cool trailer, luckily I always wait and saw people saying the game was kinda crap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

getting strafe and strife mixed up

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remembered Strafe not coming close to delivering on that trailer but I forgot they got over 200k on Kickstarter. Wish I rode that wave.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

verbal enema posted:

Synthetik rules

Here's a steam key for anyone who wants it:
ZC0CL-7QTCM-9W9DP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Strafe was a throwback FPS except it was a Roguelite game so it was instantly both a-historical and trash

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I have 52.3 hours in STRAFE and lust for FPS roguelites and even I won't say it's an especially good game--even after (several?) foundational updates that significantly changed and improved the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barudak posted:

Strafe was a throwback FPS except it was a Roguelite game so it was instantly both a-historical and trash

Doing proc gen when the thing that makes a boomer shooter stand out is level design was an interesting choice.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I played the Bears In Space demo back during like Steam Next Fest I think it was and that game has me conflicted. On one hand the shooting felt not super fantastic but the thing I super appreciated was the extreme variety in that game. One of the main gimmicks at least the demo had was that it seems to introduce a new goofy one off gameplay setpiece often. Here's a basketball minigame, a Psychonauts-like Godzilla bit, a giant boss fight. Lots of secrets, and seemingly a huge variety of guns. It was definitely INTERESTING but I dunno how good it is so I'll wait for reviews. I usually will cut a lot of slack for games with a lot of heart to them and I feel like Bears in Space is a game that's definitely trying to be unique.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Glagha posted:

I played the Bears In Space demo back during like Steam Next Fest I think it was and that game has me conflicted. On one hand the shooting felt not super fantastic but the thing I super appreciated was the extreme variety in that game. One of the main gimmicks at least the demo had was that it seems to introduce a new goofy one off gameplay setpiece often. Here's a basketball minigame, a Psychonauts-like Godzilla bit, a giant boss fight. Lots of secrets, and seemingly a huge variety of guns. It was definitely INTERESTING but I dunno how good it is so I'll wait for reviews. I usually will cut a lot of slack for games with a lot of heart to them and I feel like Bears in Space is a game that's definitely trying to be unique.

In the Steam user reviews, even if I filter by people who didn't get it for free and have played 5+ hours, the average is super positive (well, right now it's 100% positive with those conditions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doing proc gen when the thing that makes a boomer shooter stand out is level design was an interesting choice.

Levels didn't help with the enemy design and weapons were lacking. After patches the game is mediocre at best (still better than launch).