Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

In the pub with a Slovakian bloke, one minute he's all "PUTIN WILL loving BURN" then suddenly "Ukronazi NATOhomo are the bad guys".

Man, this modern adaptation of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tuna-Fish posted:

People absolutely were, we have their meeting minutes. The fundamental problem is that if your defensive system costs 10 times more per shot than the thing it's defending against, the opposition can just outbuild you. Nike-X was cancelled specifically because the Soviets did precisely that.

Even more relevantly, your enemy building more and more missiles increases the chance that something will Go Wrong with one of them - an accidental launch of a rocket without the warheads armed, a fuel explosion that's mistaken for a strike attempt, etc - and trigger an escalating exchange due to blind panic. Plus even a limited missile shield might make the guy who has it think "If I first-strike in this crisis, I'll get most of the missiles on the ground, and my defenses will probably shoot down the ones they manage to launch", so if you're the other guy you're going to be on a hair trigger in case that very thing happens.

Ballistic missile defense was destabilizing in so many "fun" ways, which is why both sides were perfectly happy to negotiate it away.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Elukka posted:

I just want to say the current thread title is a gem and I'm sad I can share it with almost nobody because the combined knowledge of goon lore and Russian air defense systems required to appreciate it is rare.

idgi

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Google “berth ell pup”

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Tuna-Fish posted:

People absolutely were, we have their meeting minutes. The fundamental problem is that if your defensive system costs 10 times more per shot than the thing it's defending against, the opposition can just outbuild you. Nike-X was cancelled specifically because the Soviets did precisely that.

This also comes up in drone defense. Using a missile that costs 100x more than a drone to shoot down a drone is not a long-term solution. "The thing you are defending cost more than the missile, so I saved money" is a false economy, because if I am your opposition, I will just build a lot more drones, and count myself the winner even if I don't get through your defenses.

good thing russian missile silos and missiles are underfunded, extremely remote and riddled with corruption by people who know they exist only to not be used. Also they were maintained by ukranians who for some reason pulled out over a decade ago.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Shouldn't it be Berth Ell Buk?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
should have been "Cyk if you Buk" if you ask me

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
After seeing a clip of an artillery strike near a chinese golf cart causing the crew to dismount and watching as increasingly comedic amount of passangers dismount from a 2 man vehicle I have conclcuded russia experimental science team has opened a portal into the clowniverse.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

ili posted:

Shouldn't it be Berth Ell Buk?

Berth Ell Blyat

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Google “berth ell pup”

I sure loving wish i hadn't, shame you can't unread some stuff :stare:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not falling for that poo poo

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
TM with the deep cut lol

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Baronjutter posted:

Because Elon Musk should have been black bagged at least a year ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol @ getting punished for speaking into an e-void something which mark milley definitely said to the man’s face in an elevator after he pissed in the DoD’s wheaties.

Look I’m not going to call for the man’s death, I’ll simply say that I’m going unbuckle my seatbelt and enable FSD while my cybertruck is pointed at a wall with a tunnel painted on it and that I hope Elon joins me in the passenger seat so I can at least get some mid tier dome as my dome merges at high speeds with the dome light

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Mods please. In the nightmare future that is 202X can we please PLEASE just talk mad poo poo about billionaires and horrible things we'd like to see happen to them? Please it's the only power we have left.

This would be considered the opposite of power

Ignore_Me fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 26, 2024

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Mods please. In the nightmare future that is 202X can we please PLEASE just talk mad poo poo about billionaires and horrible things we'd like to see happen to them? Please it's the only power we have left.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

No.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

You're welcome to leave to europe where the capitalism isn't running rampant.
You can enjoy other problems.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

haddedam posted:

The other problems is sadly, Russia. Oh and racism too.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Keisari posted:

The other problems is sadly, Russia. Oh and racism too.

Isn't racism like a huge social issue in America?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

haddedam posted:

I'm not going to leave Europe and you can't make me.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

haddedam posted:

You're welcome to leave to europe where the capitalism isn't is running rampant.

I regret to inform you in regards to capitalism

haddedam posted:

Isn't racism like a huge social issue in America?

Fixed that for you

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Don't worry russia and china are going to protect us from capitalism

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought “black-bagged” really meant “aggressively arrested” in how it was used by many agencies, huh

I definitely think that Musk should be aggressively arrested

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I thought “black-bagged” really meant “aggressively arrested” in how it was used by many agencies, huh

I definitely think that Musk should be aggressively arrested
Maybe there was a bit of a misunderstanding

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Further Musk discussion has been black bagged and taken to Goontanamo Bay.

Let's move on please.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't worry russia and china are going to protect us from capitalism

The loving frightening part is that there are people that actually think China is left wing and will defend it. Blows my mind.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Putin should be blackballed, I know I'll never see a movie with his fugly mug in it so don't even bother makin em.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1772545790554013844

quote:

In response to being arrested in absentia by a Russian court on charges of a "terrorist attack," SBU head Vasyl Malyuk dismissed the decision as insignificant, attributing it to Kremlin-backed judges. He asserted his focus on seeing Russian President Putin face trial as a war criminal in The Hague, aligning with the interests of all Ukrainians.
:troll:

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Fixed that for you

Its one thing to have capitalism with all the benefits and whole other to call corruption "lobbying"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Khanstant posted:

Putin should be blackballed, I know I'll never see a movie with his fugly mug in it so don't even bother makin em.
Is this that thing they do to ungulates with a rubber band?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I hope russian billionaire vlad putin dies

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Elukka posted:

I just want to say the current thread title is a gem and I'm sad I can share it with almost nobody because the combined knowledge of goon lore and Russian air defense systems required to appreciate it is rare.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I hope russian billionaire vlad putin dies

Whoa relax bud

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I want putin to be featured in max hardcore film.
As the girl.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1772541936533987370
The 44th Golf Cart Corps, with elite formations being issued whatever they stole from Kubinka

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
British low key verbal destruction of russia never ceases to be incredible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

haddedam posted:

British low key verbal destruction of russia never ceases to be incredible.

Yes it's cool but we need to move on from verbal to physical

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Google “berth ell pup”

Jesus Christ. I hate my curiosity sometimes.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not only was I dumb enough to do this, I was dumb enough to not understand poo poo of what I found, thank god, nobody explain, shut up

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1772713405868102001
ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Time to enforce the sanctions :getin: