Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I used to take that bridge daily and man it’s tall as gently caress. It feels like you are driving into the sky as you get onto the truss part. I can’t imagine how horrifying that must have been for the people on it. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
that meme of a weedy doge but it's american bridges

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Large cargo ships loving things up is funnier when they're sideways in major trade routes rather than when they're collapsing bridges and killing people. They should do more of that.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I hate "hill" bridges. There's one in my home city that's filled me with dread since I was a child. It's the idea of reaching the crest of the bridge to find nothing there on the other side.

For decades I've had an ocassional reoccuring nightmare that I've crested a bridge like that but it's hundreds of meters in the air. Then as I'm beginning the descent I find the brakes don't work. I've been driving for 25 years and I still get the willies when I'm crossing bridges like that.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Large cargo ships loving things up is funnier when they're sideways in major trade routes rather than when they're collapsing bridges and killing people. They should do more of that.

We had one of those too not long after the Suez Canal one in the bay just south of Baltimore, I went to gawk at it from a local park. I don’t think I’ll be doing that this time.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
if he had gone a lil faster maybe the bridge would have ended up balancing on the container stack like a neat magic trick.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Just fyi if this is a joke about my intelligence I don't get it for obvious reasons.

Nope just being dumb about your username and then made a rhyme

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kind of impressive it missed that electric tower.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this should probably be required reading for the engineers building the replacement bridge:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There's some guy in Baltimore who was looking for any excuse to call off of work today, and this is all his fault.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Francis Scott Key Bridge: The British Empire Strikes Back

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Wall Balls posted:

here's the longer version if you wanna see it in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Sobolb6c4

My armchair analysis:

The ship knew some minutes ahead of time that they were experiencing power issues, and warned the authorities. The bridge got closed for traffic, initially left-to-right, and, just in the nick of time, right-to-left. The "only" vehicles on the bridge at the time of collapse were emergency vehicles.

This could've gone a lot worse if it had happened during rush hour.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I completely honestly never considered the implications of a container ship losing power mid-movement.

new fear unlocked...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

The ship knew some minutes ahead of time that they were experiencing power issues, and warned the authorities. The bridge got closed for traffic, initially left-to-right, and, just in the nick of time, right-to-left. The "only" vehicles on the bridge at the time of collapse were emergency vehicles.

If this was true, that would be a hell of an “oh poo poo” moment for the crew as they got closer and closer.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

There was an entire work crew still on the bridge doing regular maintenance. In my experience driving past work crews on the key bridge this is usually painting and rust removal. It seems unlikely there was a closure since the crew wasn’t evacuated. Just “lucky” it was late at night.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

If this was true, that would be a hell of an “oh poo poo” moment for the crew as they got closer and closer.

“So we’re all agreed, let’s keep the story straight - it was like this when we got here.”

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

The bridge vehicle strobes are amber, more consistent with some kind of maintenance crew than cop cars. Also the cops would have been blocking the bridge from the nearest exits / turnoffs at both ends.
Maybe the maintenance guys weren't on the frequency and the cops didn't get a call out to them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Platystemon posted:

The Great Pyramid outweighs that ship by a factor of fifty.

It would take a scratch, but it’s definitely winning that matchup.

For numbers the Pyramid of Giza is estimated to weigh 5.7 million tons, a loaded cargo ship seems to be about 220,000 tons from a quick google. So yeah It would definitely leave a mark but probably be pretty fine other than that.

As has been said not sure other than the various pyramids that could do that. Three gorges drat maybe? looking it up it seems to be 115 meters thick of solid concrete and seems to weigh 72 million tons, although obviously not in solid shape, and with just a whole bunch of water putting pressure on it as well.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
so you're saying they should have built the bridge out of pyramids?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LordArgh posted:

so you're saying they should have built the bridge out of pyramids?

And risk mummies talking over Baltimore????

Yes.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

If you're not familiar with the area, Baltimore is one of the biggest ports on the east coast. It's got a container port, a roll on/roll off vehicle port, multiple facilities for coal and bulk aggregate loading served by two separate railways, various ports for mineral and other industries...

All of this except for the sparrows point complex are behind the bridge. The ship was leaving the container port at Dundalk (Seagurt marine terminal) when it hit. All of those port facilities will be shut until they can clear the channel. This is going to gently caress up shipping on the entire east coast.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

dr_rat posted:

And risk mummies talking over Baltimore????

Yes.

The rats will take care of the mummies no problem I’m unconcerned.

From an acquaintance who works in the harbor-
“Its local Baltimore port hired people who pilot the ships until they get to the Bay Bridge(further south of Baltimore in the bay) - the cargo companies are not allowed to self pilot in our harbors. The pilots that move these cargo ships through the harbor are extensively experienced in navigating through those specific waters and have been cleared through the federal TWIC issuance process.

From what I can gather, the ship hit a rock wall coming out of port and sustained a hull breach. Subsequently they had a total power loss. They did try to send an emergency alert indicating a hit was imminent so they could get people off the bridge and stop people from getting on, it just all happened so fast. It looked like a direct hit because the ship tried to execute a turn when power was lost and it cut their ability to continue the turn or perform further evasive maneuvers.”

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
rear end hole conspiracy theories all over comments sections already

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
This is why we need to bring back sails

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Maybe the maintenance guys weren't on the frequency and the cops didn't get a call out to them.

This was a huge problem when my town was evacuated two wildfires ago. Amateur radio operators wound up relaying messages to coordinate police, fire, ambulance, and hotshot crews. Since then, they (finally) all got on equipment that can interoperate.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You'd think nautical people would at least use the correct term, allision.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's no 9/11

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
If only they had dredged the grain pier....

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Log082 posted:

If you're not familiar with the area, Baltimore is one of the biggest ports on the east coast. It's got a container port, a roll on/roll off vehicle port, multiple facilities for coal and bulk aggregate loading served by two separate railways, various ports for mineral and other industries...

Yeah we all saw season 2 of The Wire

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Baltimore's economy is hosed

And then this happens?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hope everyone that fell in is ok.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

Baltimore's economy is hosed

And then this happens?

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

AtomikKrab posted:

My mother sleeps in the upstairs bedroom, she just called me to say the sound of it woke her up and she felt it rattle the house slightly, she thought it was a low flying plane and went back to bed.

What's it like to live in a shipping container?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Spandex Bonerlord posted:

What's it like to live in a shipping container?

Multiple shipping containers, I am not that poor to be down to just one.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Why is nobody talking about the real victim, the economy

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

There's a bunch of ships anchored off Annapolis, bound for Baltimore. Guess those aren't going anywhere for a while.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

TheBuilder posted:

If only they had dredged the grain pier....

I wonder if his truck was still parked under the bridge.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'll find another port. Your sex arse might be a bit late.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

This is really bad for Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

goatface posted:

They'll find another port. Your sex arse might be a bit late.

I think we need to all sit down and think about the poor Sri Lankans that have to go without high quality Baltimore made sex arses.