Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
A portion of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland, has collapsed after a large container boat collided with it early Tuesday morning.

Reports came in around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday that a large vessel crashed into the bridge carrying north and southbound lanes of Interstate 695, catching on fire before causing multiple vehicles to fall into the Patapsco River below.

At least seven vehicles have collapsed into the water, Baltimore City Fire spokesman Kevin Cartwright confirmed with WTOP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaMDoToEo4k

Words are that many emergency vehicles and workers were on the bridge at the time of collapse.
By the looks of it, it was roadworkers and traffic authority vehicles in the spans that collapsed. Doesn't look like any moving vehicles were on that part as it collapsed.

Not much info coming in from my end of the world at the moment.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

poo poo

Expect multiple casualties from this.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

calling dibs on the podcast

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
gently caress this is so much worse than I thought. I thought the ship hitting and it collapsing happened within seconds/minutes of each other.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge has been closed to traffic following an "incident," the Maryland Transportation Authority said.

Glad they clarified that traffic can't cross the gaping chasm where a bridge used to be.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

gay picnic defence posted:

Glad they clarified that traffic can't cross the gaping chasm where a bridge used to be.

The cybertruck can still get through.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
why were there first responders on the bridge after the ship had already collided with it and some cars fallen down?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Dell_Zincht posted:

poo poo

Expect multiple casualties from this.

You think?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ship fuel doesn't melt steal beams, how could this happen?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Celexi posted:

why were there first responders on the bridge after the ship had already collided with it and some cars fallen down?

To rescue people that might still be on the bridge.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The boat was also on fire so presumably they wanted to put that out.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

gently caress, what an apocalyptic way to go.

At least it didn't happen during the day when traffic would have been much heavier.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Gonna feel real weird to look out towards that part of the bay and see nothing

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Vaxxed?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If any city in the world deserve it, its Baltimore. They've been living high on the hog for far too long if you ask me.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Don’t know why but the article I read said it’s a 29meter ship, it’s closer to 300 meters. It also looks like it plowed straight into the bridge and instantly knocked it down. Everyone on the bridge of that ship including the harbour pilot is up poo poo creek.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bad Purchase posted:

calling dibs on the podcast

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Ship fuel doesn't melt steal beams, how could this happen?
looking forward to more epic jokes about this tragedy that just happened and definitely killed quite a few people

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

Don’t know why but the article I read said it’s a 29meter ship, it’s closer to 300 meters. It also looks like it plowed straight into the bridge and instantly knocked it down. Everyone on the bridge of that ship including the harbour pilot is up poo poo creek.

The bridge now on on the bridge of that ship has probably given him bigger problems.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

I don't think it instantly took the bridge down, you can see abunch of emergency vehicles on the bridge itself when it collapses. The initial impact was probably bad enough but then it looks like the vessel was just hard up against the bridge footing and if the current was pushing it into the bridge as well after the impact that would've contributed. But yeah there's gonna be a big investigation and the pilot/captain/owners are probably gonna get reamed depending on the findings.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
All I know is _somebody_ owes us a new bridge

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Poohs Packin posted:

If any city in the world deserve it, its Baltimore. They've been living high on the hog for far too long if you ask me.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Longer video/different angle
https://x.com/ozvascdoc/status/1772536840412598455?s=20

looks like the ship lost power before the collision

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
obviously they had a job to do, rescuing people but was it really the right thing to do to move so many emergency vehicles and workers onto the bridge that was in distress and of uncertain structural status?

edit: I was misunderstanding - the bridge collapsed rapidly, the emergency vehicles were there for some other reason.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 26, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

free hubcaps posted:

I don't think it instantly took the bridge down, you can see abunch of emergency vehicles on the bridge itself when it collapses. The initial impact was probably bad enough but then it looks like the vessel was just hard up against the bridge footing and if the current was pushing it into the bridge as well after the impact that would've contributed. But yeah there's gonna be a big investigation and the pilot/captain/owners are probably gonna get reamed depending on the findings.

you're wrong. the bridge immediately collapsed once it got hit by the boat. not sure what you're talking about.

there was a livestream of that bridge here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a7h3kkgPg
you'll have to scroll through to 1:28:45 which is right before the boat hits. once it does the boat immediately collapses the bridge.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1772514015790477667?s=20

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Serak posted:

Longer video/different angle
https://x.com/ozvascdoc/status/1772536840412598455?s=20

looks like the ship lost power before the collision

drat, I didn't think it would happen that fast... must've been loving terrifying to be in one of those cars

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
No longer a key bridge is it

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

drat, I didn't think it would happen that fast... must've been loving terrifying to be in one of those cars
Video has been sped up in that tweet.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

you're wrong. the bridge immediately collapsed once it got hit by the boat. not sure what you're talking about.

there was a livestream of that bridge here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a7h3kkgPg
you'll have to scroll through to 1:28:45 which is right before the boat hits. once it does the boat immediately collapses the bridge.

Yea you're right, you can see it in the longer video. There's a bunch of emergency/ DOT vehicles on the bridge though, you can see their flashing lights;must've been there for an unrelated reason.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Not to downplay any of this because undoubtedly a bunch of people just died, but it doesn't look like there was anyone actually crossing the bridge at the time of impact (you can't see the extra span to the right on the livestream, but it's visible in the other video), and so it may just have been limited to the ~4 work vehicles on the bridge and the workers associated with them, which is a lovely, but best-case scenario.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:2810451/mmsi:563004200/imo:9697428/vessel:DALI

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Can't park there, mate.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Cable Guy posted:

Video has been sped up in that tweet.

It happens in less than 10 seconds or so between collision and collapse.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Just behind the bridge there are some pylons for what I guess is an elevated power transmission line. After the bridge goes down you can see the red flashing beacon of one pylon still on. Those pylons were protected from ship collisions with substantial barrier islands at the base. They're hexagonal concrete things visible on google maps.

Not visible on google maps are any similar protective features around the Key Bridge pillars. The central span is held up between what resembles two large concrete A-frames, the foundations of which appears to have (had) no surrounding protective features all.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
How the absolute gently caress!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Holy poo poo

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LazyMaybe posted:

looking forward to more epic jokes about this tragedy that just happened and definitely killed quite a few people

Unlike the bridge, we'll be here all morning.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Proof that those engineers were doing their job correctly, that bridge was just barely staying up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Just behind the bridge there are some pylons for what I guess is an elevated power transmission line. After the bridge goes down you can see the red flashing beacon of one pylon still on. Those pylons were protected from ship collisions with substantial barrier islands at the base. They're hexagonal concrete things visible on google maps.

Not visible on google maps are any similar protective features around the Key Bridge pillars. The central span is held up between what resembles two large concrete A-frames, the foundations of which appears to have (had) no surrounding protective features all.

Those electrical pylon barriers are not nearly big enough to have protected them from a ship of this size, and installing something on the bridge pylons that would have would be an immense structure
Not saying it shouldn't have been done though - there aren't many places in the world that would put a bridge with exposed and vulnterable pylons in the middle of what I understand is a major shipping channel.