Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Spandex Bonerlord posted:

This is really bad for Biden.

Not bad enough imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

goatface posted:

They'll find another port. Your sex arse might be a bit late.

Its kind of that simple, but that means taking on more fuel, and joining an already waiting fleet of ships at another port, that may be even more distant and already packed with scheduled ships awaiting loading or unloading.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I didn't have "ship 9/11ing a bridge" on my 2024 bingo card.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk

this guy really knows his stuff and gives a breakdown.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

at the rate infrastructure seems to go these days, it’s gonna be 30 years before that bridge gets rebuilt

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

smoobles posted:

Baltimore's economy is hosed

And then this happens?

It will create a lot of jobs for Baltimore!

Which some local politician will claim responsibility for to get reelected without any shame.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Daily Mail but it's probably right.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13239953/Singaporean-Dali-Baltimore-propulsion-bridge-collapse.html

quote:

Doomed cargo ship Dali was being piloted by a LOCAL crew who were trained to AVOID obstacles in the Baltimore port - as it emerges 100,000-ton vessel 'lost control and propulsion' moments before smashing into the bridge.

'The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and an allision with the bridge was possible,' the report said. 'The vessel struck the bridge causing a complete collapse.'

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This could have been so much worse had it been crewed by a FOREIGN crew trained to HIT obstacles.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
lmao at the caps. You mean he wasn't trained to DELIBERATELY HIT bridges?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tato posted:

lmao at the caps. You mean he wasn't trained to DELIBERATELY HIT bridges?

Ray Lewis was not the pilot, no

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I think I see the problem

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You must construct additional pylons

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fumble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk

this guy really knows his stuff and gives a breakdown.

holy gently caress, the ship was tracking to drift under the bridge until they slammed on the brakes?

captain's goin to jail

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
If you defeat a bridge in combat, they should have to name the replacement bridge after you. gently caress Francis Scott Key

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"So there I was and bam! bridge came out of nowhere!"

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

smoobles posted:

captain's goin to jail

Singapore registration, he'll get caned first

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

smoobles posted:

holy gently caress, the ship was tracking to drift under the bridge until they slammed on the brakes?

captain's goin to jail

Luigi standing upon his ball, shaking his head

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

smoobles posted:

captain's goin to jail

Like yeah, some people loving panic'd and made it worse.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
6 missing, two living people recovered , one seems to be in rough shape at Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma, the other refused treatment. Crew was repairing potholes. There was some warning and attempt to get people off and prevent them from going on to the bridge but things happened very fast. All from governors press conference.

Imagine being on a bridge that fell down and being like nah I’m good with the hospital ima head home.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

Like yeah, some people loving panic'd and made it worse.

not sure why anyone is saying this given we know the ship was having issues with losing power

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

6 missing, two living people recovered , one seems to be in rough shape at Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma, the other refused treatment. Crew was repairing potholes.

Imagine being on a bridge that fell down and being like nah I’m good with the hospital ima head home.

Do you know how much that ambulance ride costs? He can't afford that. And he won't even make his hours this week, so he really cannot afford that medical bill.

Mozi posted:

not sure why anyone is saying this given we know the ship was having issues with losing power

Power loss and then just starts pumping snoke like it was a coal powered freighter in 1910. A whole lot of poo poo went seriously wrong and it's pretty early to start going, "Aha! That's the blame!" It's likely there's a lot of blame to go around.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 26, 2024

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

6 missing, two living people recovered , one seems to be in rough shape at Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma, the other refused treatment. Crew was repairing potholes. There was some warning and attempt to get people off and prevent them from going on to the bridge but things happened very fast. All from governors press conference.

wonder how long until the boss calls asking if he'll still be in for his shift tomorrow

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma sounds expensive, and presumably there's a sudden drop in the amount of work available for bridge span maintenance guys, so it's probably a good idea to sleep on it and see how they feel tomorrow.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I was wondering "why weren't there any structures to prevent a ship from even hitting a bridge support column?" I went looking around and shockingly few bridges in/around major ports have barriers around their support columns. Looks like the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge into NYC has it's support columns in shallow water (it's also a suspension bridge). The Golden Gate has a barrier, but even if there are barriers I guess there's little anyone can do to stop a container ship that large from hitting a support column.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the only effective deterrent for a ship that large is a whole decoy bridge

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I was wondering "why weren't there any structures to prevent a ship from even hitting a bridge support column?" I went looking around and shockingly few bridges in/around major ports have barriers around their support columns. Looks like the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge into NYC has it's support columns in shallow water (it's also a suspension bridge). The Golden Gate has a barrier, but even if there are barriers I guess there's little anyone can do to stop a container ship that large from hitting a support column.

There were some basic walls around the pylons but I mean is it even possible to build anything strong enough to stop something that big?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

thunderspanks posted:

wonder how long until the boss calls asking if he'll still be in for his shift tomorrow

Now it’s a REALLY big pothole

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bad Purchase posted:

or mines

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

There were some basic walls around the pylons but I mean is it even possible to build anything strong enough to stop something that big?

Only Hulk Hogan’s 24 inch pythons could’ve saved us

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

LazyMaybe posted:

looking forward to more epic jokes about this tragedy that just happened and definitely killed quite a few people

sir this is a GBS drivethru

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

...pyramids

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the bridge was built in 1977, the largest container ships at the time were around 75% the size of the Deli

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Also with cargo ships, look how much the bow of the ship can extend in front of where the ship meets the water.

Even just building a barrier to take that into account would be difficult.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

We’re trying to stop boats not store our grain buddy

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

DiomedesGodshill posted:

This is what my city did a few decades ago after an adrift ship had a near miss

Container ships in/out need tied tugs as well

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bad Purchase posted:

Nah the only deterrent is a good ship with a gun

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

We’re trying to stop boats not store our grain buddy

Hey have you never heard of a thing called multitasking!!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

captain's goin to jail

They probably had no way of knowing that given loss of power and time to get the backup generators up to bring up instruments at the minimum if they were not already on.

Its likely going to be something that was largely outside the captains control given the double power loss. With no power means no hydraulic, meaning no rudder or electricity for thrusters, and it looks like once power came back they restarted the engine and tried to reverse which will cause the boat to shift anyways.

Sucky situation.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Salvador Dali rises like a kaiju out of the water, with his mustache twirling he takes a swipe at the Key Bridge and drops it into the harbor

edit: oops this isnt my Copilot window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mozi posted:

The guy in the video above suggested that the ship may have just drifted along its intended course under the main channel of the bridge had they not reversed the engines when it woke back up.