Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/halalflow/status/1772407151320867293

Not sure if this was posted yet. John Kirby stating outright that the security council resolution is "non-binding" and has "no impact on Israel at all"

By the way he's flat out lying. I know international law isn't a real thing but under international law, UN security council resolutions are in fact binding.

Also when Israel ignores this resolution, its just going to tank the reputation of Israel even further. More countries will find the excuse they need to sanction the poo poo hole even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

readingatwork posted:

OK, do we actually know if this was a binding resolution or not? The news article I read yesterday explicitly said that it wasn't.

Though I guess it doesn't really matter either way. The UN making a big deal out of what is essentially an angry open letter to the editor is pretty common but so is the US just ignoring international law and doing whatever the gently caress it wants. Nothing is going to change either way. :shrug:

I'm curious what news article you read because to the best of my knowledge every UN Security Council resolution is by definition binding. I've seen articles from WaPo and the Guardian state as much.

That said, there is a general understanding that Israel will flagrantly ignore the resolution and the UN won't have any means to enforce it.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

I said come in! posted:

Also when Israel ignores this resolution, its just going to tank the reputation of Israel even further. More countries will find the excuse they need to sanction the poo poo hole even further.

Israel is already a pariah state with everyone outside of "the west". They have completely tanked their reputation internationally, and the US has as well bu sticking by them.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm glad the bandage is being ripped off, not only in terms of Israel becoming another Rhodesia but showing what a sham the "Rules Based International Order" is.

Agreed. Rewarding Biden for supporting a genocide is a far worse precedent than Trump winning another term.

ahh but you see Trump is always worse therefore as the actions of the democratic party become more and more destructive the lesser of two evils argument strengthens and strengthens because no matter how bad you think the democratic party is, trump is definitionally worse.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Let us elect the Earth Mother as president. It's Her Turn.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

bedpan posted:

ahh but you see Trump is always worse therefore as the actions of the democratic party become more and more destructive the lesser of two evils argument strengthens and strengthens because no matter how bad you think the democratic party is, trump is definitionally worse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Orbs posted:

motherfucking uswername post COMBO

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Raccooon posted:

Why didn't they just veto it if they were going to do this poo poo?

so it can be used as a talking point on an msnbc panel show

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Orbs posted:

Hillary?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/army21ye/status/1772600150428352683

confirmation that they hit the huang pu (+3 ships)

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
(PRETTY LADY)

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

lmao imagine being such a whiny little bitch about having to say "gently caress Israel" to get into a college party.

https://x.com/getfiscal/status/1772647453864399285?s=20

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

bedpan posted:

Hillary?
No, the Earth Mother.

No, I said the real Earth Mother.

Perfection.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Godlessdonut posted:

lmao imagine being such a whiny little bitch about having to say "gently caress Israel" to get into a college party.

whiny bitch is the name of the game: https://twitter.com/tab_delete/status/1772576499058540768

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

CheetoVonTito posted:

In my trash opinion. Afghanistan and Yemen are the only countries that aren’t slaves to America.
But while this sounds nice, logistically speaking, this sounds maybe doable.

Iran> Iraq>Syria>Southern Lebanon. They can tag team with Hezzbollah.

Getting to Gaza, now that’s gonna be a b****
https://x.com/stairwayto3dom/status/1772564400345346113?s=46

Israeli passport control: hello. welcome to tel aviv. what is the purpose of your visit?

taliban fighter: pleasure

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000#1161963633
The U.S. is under fire from members of the UN Security Council for insisting that Monday's resolution – from which the U.S. abstained from vetoing – is non-binding.

"There's no impact at all on Israel and Israel's ability to continue to go after Hamas," U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said, echoing U.S. Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield's insistence on the non-binding nature immediately following the vote.

"Do the statements yesterday by Thomas-Greenfield mean that the USA no longer considers itself to be bound by the provisions of the UN Charter and moreover, is encouraging Israel to the same," asked Russian Ambassador to the UN Vasily Nebenzya, "If that is the case, then there is no point in our discussions in the chamber at all."

Sierra Leone, one of the co-sponsors of the resolution, similarly insisted upon its binding nature. "It's not just my words," said Ambassador Michael Imran Kanu. "It's also the words of International Court of Justice in the advisory opinion 1971, the advisory opinion given by the ICJ. So I think it should be clear to everyone that this resolution is binding on the parties," said Kanu.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

If Israel dismantles the UN it will be the one good thing the country has ever accomplished.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It took Nixon to go to China, it took biden to tear down the UN.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RoboBoogie posted:

Israeli passport control: hello. welcome to tel aviv. what is the purpose of your visit?

lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RoboBoogie posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Orbs posted:

No, the Earth Mother.

No, I said the real Earth Mother.

Perfection.

:hmmyes: Asherah

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Malloc Voidstar posted:

The U.S. is under fire from members of the UN Security Council

any word on casualties yet?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Godlessdonut posted:

lol libs have started their own "students have too much free speech on campus" witch hunt

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its literally just the "campus conservatives dont feel safe :(" quillette articles with zionists swapped in instead

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Malloc Voidstar posted:

The U.S. is under fire from members of the UN Security Council for insisting that Monday's resolution – from which the U.S. abstained from vetoing – is non-binding.

"There's no impact at all on Israel and Israel's ability to continue to go after Hamas," U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said, echoing U.S. Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield's insistence on the non-binding nature immediately following the vote.

"Do the statements yesterday by Thomas-Greenfield mean that the USA no longer considers itself to be bound by the provisions of the UN Charter and moreover, is encouraging Israel to the same," asked Russian Ambassador to the UN Vasily Nebenzya, "If that is the case, then there is no point in our discussions in the chamber at all."

Sierra Leone, one of the co-sponsors of the resolution, similarly insisted upon its binding nature. "It's not just my words," said Ambassador Michael Imran Kanu. "It's also the words of International Court of Justice in the advisory opinion 1971, the advisory opinion given by the ICJ. So I think it should be clear to everyone that this resolution is binding on the parties," said Kanu.

All of the US' lame PR attempts are blowing up in their dumb rear end faces. You love to see it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Finkelstein is the best. In the video I linked on the previous page he states who he would give the Nobel Peace Prize to. His ranking:

1. The doctors in Gaza
2. South Africa
3. THE HOUTHIS

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

kick the us and israel out of the un and heavily sanction both countries imo

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Raccooon posted:

Yeah kind of my thinking in regards to BRICS as well. Probably not going to do anything now but just shifts power more to them as more countries start to look for an alternative to the US hegemony

Why exactly do people in the first world think BRICS is/will ever be a relevant thing? Those countries have no significant cultural/economic/military ties at all, some even hate each other.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Soviet Union and the USA were Allies in ww2

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

brics isn't a military alliance

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...ly-problematic/

quote:

Knesset legal advisor Sagit Afik pans draft legislation allowing the government to censor foreign media as “constitutionally problematic” after lawmakers attempt to remove a clause requiring judicial authorization for the closure of outlets deemed to pose “an actual harm to the state’s security.”

During a debate in the Knesset National Security Committee, Afik objects to efforts by Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi and rightwing lawmakers to change a clause requiring a judge to sign off on shuttering foreign networks operating in Israel and instead only grant the judiciary the power to hear an appeal against a government decision on the matter.

Committee legal advisor Miri Frenkel-Shor also objects, stating that shutting down a media outlet “is a matter of balancing freedom of expression and state security here and we need to be extremely careful.”

Communications Minister Karhi pushes back against their objections, stating that there is “no precedent” for requiring a judge to sign off on a government decision “and it must not be allowed.”

Too few people understand that the media today is a weapon, and if we do not neutralize this weapon, it may strike us dead,” adds committee chairman MK Zvika Fogel (Otzma Yehudit). “This law is good and the responsibility should remain with those who are responsible.”

Under the bill, the communications minister will be empowered to shutter foreign networks operating in Israel and confiscate their equipment if the defense minister identifies that their broadcasts pose “an actual harm to the state’s security.”

If ultimately passed into law, the bill — which would also allow for the censoring of a targeted network’s website — would pave the way for Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi to follow through on his threat to shut down Qatari news channel Al Jazeera, which he has said is working against Israel’s defense interests and fueling anti-Israel sentiment.

It passed a first reading in the Knesset plenum in February and is currently being prepared for its second and third readings in the committee.

A previous amendment pushed by Fogel — which would have given National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir, in consultation with the National Security Committee, the power to make the final determination in banning an outlet — received strong pushback from Minister Benny Gantz’s National Unity faction, which threatened to veto the controversial legislation.

Karhi has previously taken aim at domestic media as well, threatening to halt government advertising in “Bolshevik abomination” Haaretz and promoting a far-reaching communications reform that critics assert undermines the freedom of the press.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Godlessdonut posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/JoshElstro/status/1772656363606258118

E2: https://twitter.com/DaPhunkeeMonkee/status/1772659347115446615

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Mar 26, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

Finkelstein is the best. In the video I linked on the previous page he states who he would give the Nobel Peace Prize to. His ranking:

1. The doctors in Gaza
2. South Africa
3. THE HOUTHIS

i'd swap the places of ansar allah and south africa but otherwise a good shortlist

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Negostrike posted:

Why exactly do people in the first world think BRICS is/will ever be a relevant thing? Those countries have no significant cultural/economic/military ties at all, some even hate each other.

Unlike the UN

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

yellowcar posted:

brics isn't a military alliance

Point remains they may unite in gently caress That Guy harmony for as long as US hegemony lasts, and then immediately fall to infighting

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

1. The doctors in Gaza
2. South Africa
3. THE HOUTHIS

just finished the vid, it's really good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Negostrike posted:

they're developing win-win economic relationships a la belt and road. Seems good to me.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The doctors in Gaza
The journalists in Gaza
Ansar Allah
Aaron Bushnell
South Africa

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

really queer Christmas posted:

It took Nixon to go to China, it took biden to tear down the UN.

Give me a sixer for burgerposting but it’s making me lol forever that I’m at the undisputable fact that at this point Trump is the harm reduction candidate for US world influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RoboBoogie posted:

I've been watching Generation Kill for the first time, and one of the resistance fighters against the American nazi soldiers, is murdered, and the soldiers find his passport, and it says his reason for visiting Iraq is just "jihad."