Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Earwicker posted:

so like..people are going around the barriers because they want to go gawk at the accident site? or people going around the barriers because they think this is some government conspiracy and the bridge isn't really out or...something?

common sense wouldve suggested the former a few decades ago but these days who knows

PROBABLY the first one but this is Baltimore so impossible to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
there's also the third option of 'something is in their way and they are not having that, NOT TODAY'

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/cdoddKC/status/1772600839128920136

Flimsy bridge was flimsy.

Not that I expect fenders that small to stop a ship that big, it would need better protection. But you know, protection cost money. We hear about how so many bridges all over need repairs and updates, this is a good example.

This is why they say rules and laws are written in blood.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The Dali was 95000 tons, empty. There were no fenders or maintenance (on the bridge) that would stop this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Last Call posted:

https://twitter.com/cdoddKC/status/1772600839128920136

Flimsy bridge was flimsy.

Not that I expect fenders that small to stop a ship that big, it would need better protection. But you know, protection cost money. We hear about how so many bridges all over need repairs and updates, this is a good example.

This is why they say rules and laws are written in blood.

Fenders don't exactly have to stop the ship, if you look they are angled towards the most likely direction the ship would be approaching, they just need to push the ship away or redirect it away from whatever they protect, not necessarily stop it.

In fact its easier to redirect something bearing down with that much force than stop it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe if the fenders were built out far enough it could have slowed it down and taken the brunt of the damage to where at least maybe it wouldn’t have been a square hit to the support? I don’t know.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I eagerly await a Mythbusters episode where they design and test some bumpers and deflectors that can protect a structure from 100,000 tons moving at 20 kts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

Maybe if the fenders were built out far enough it could have slowed it down and taken the brunt of the damage to where at least maybe it wouldn’t have been a square hit to the support? I don’t know.

I mean that's how guardrails work normally - absorb the energy at the sacrifice of their integrity.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
What if they made the entire bridge out of fenders?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Forget fenders were mountin rail guns to every bridge in America bb. Next time some Sri Lankan motherfuckers want to play well show em.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Looks like there’s already a fundraising event set up to raise money for a new bridge. Google “Baltimore Key Party” to find out more.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

When I was a kid, my friend told me I had to check out this show called The A-Team on channel 5, but he had cable and I didn't so instead I got to watch a terrible disaster movie called The Night The Bridge Fell Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JCnlvF4lk

Not content to simply be about a collapsing bridge, I think it also features escaping bank robbers, terrorists and a woman giving birth on the collapsing bridge iirc

In a similar vein, Smash-Up on Interstate 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wlsc2cs-P0

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Also the farther out you build the fenders the wider they've got to be, which makes the channels narrower and harder to navigate.

Ultimately the best system would be a serious of undersea tunnels to ship cargo - I know this guy Elon who has a company that can help.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Three Olives posted:

What if they made the entire bridge out of fenders?

You mean like a guitar bridge?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

everybody trying to figure out how to prevent a 95000 ton ship from destroying anything it hits are cute

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Skip the supports and suspend the whole bridge from huge pyramids on either side of the river.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

GolfHole posted:

everybody trying to figure out how to prevent a 95000 ton ship from destroying anything it hits are cute

I can't believe the engineers didn't think of it! Just put up a barrier to stop the giant drifting ship! DUH!

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Radio! posted:

Bridge wasn't closed, the Fire Department didn't even know it had collapsed until like 6 minutes after getting dispatched to a call for a "possible vehicle in the water".
https://audiomack.com/aramshabanian...7WlVlMZjvx3n5c8

this is crazy thanks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That bridge possessed the footage from Jeffrey Epstein's cell the night he died

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GolfHole posted:

You put the supports two hundred meters back on shore and make the bridge super tall. Then you use an infinitely rigid super structure.

Frankly, this is so easy I don't know why people haven't done it before.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

GolfHole posted:

Maybe they should build the bridge out of 95000 ton ships so that anything that runs into it gets destroyed instead.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if we stopped using engines on the ships and each ship just had a really long rope that's attached to where they need to go and they just pull the rope to get there

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

People be like "what if we raked the forests" itt

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If I saw a big ship coming towards a bridge I would simply open the drain

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Boats shouldn't hit bridges I'm thinking???

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Handsome Ralph posted:

It was closed with like a minute or two to spare, except for the DOT guys working on the bridge.
https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1772629105881632880

In the OP you can literally see at least 4 semi trucks and a few passenger vehicles cross within a minute of the collapse, even if that video is sped up. Very skeptical of this claim.

Like I was rooting for the cars crossing as the ship is seconds from collision and multiple other people in this thread have noted the same thought.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

marxismftw posted:

People be like "what if we raked the forests" itt

please, we're talking about ships here, not forests.

What if we raked the ships?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
maybe if we made things simpler and fabricated them locally out of stuff that could be sourced nearby
and reused things instead of buying new things each year
and generally didn't rely on buying things so much
perhaps there wouldn't be so many bridge demolishing ships in the harbor.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Jelly posted:

In the OP you can literally see at least 4 semi trucks and a few passenger vehicles cross within a minute of the collapse, even if that video is sped up. Very skeptical of this claim.

Like I was rooting for the cars crossing as the ship is seconds from collision and multiple other people in this thread have noted the same thought.

There were about 4 minutes of warning and the portion of the bridge that could be closed off is probably about 2-3 miles, especially on the east side. The traffic clearing the bridge right before the collision were already at or past the point they could close when the warning came in.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

We should place rakes around key infrastructure so anyone looking to gently caress with our poo poo steps on them and gets hit in the face, boats included

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

biznatchio posted:

please, we're talking about ships here, not forests.

What if we raked the ships?

Fool!

You rake the water.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

frumpykvetchbot posted:

maybe if we made things simpler and fabricated them locally out of stuff that could be sourced nearby

well, i hear shipping containers are a popular new building material, and sources are suggesting there's an ample supply of this local resource very nearby to where a new bridge will need to be built.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Or build a tunnel and create the potential for a different type of tragedy.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Mr trashwheel has his work cut out for him for awhile. Poor guy.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Or build a tunnel and create the potential for a different type of tragedy.

There already is a tunnel under that river.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jelly posted:

But, people drive around the gates to cross train tracks all the time. Just having a sign saying bridge closed is unlikely to deter quite a few motorists.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The_Franz posted:

Two, in fact

And they are about to get an insane influx of traffic which was already bad

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Well I'll be darned. There are several! But then....why bridge? I'm guessing the answer is "tunnel too expensive". Welp.

Edit: bridge allow hazardous materials, tunnels do not.

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But, people drive around the gates to cross train tracks all the time. Just having a sign saying bridge closed is unlikely to deter quite a few motorists.

people drive around train gates because they think they can beat the train.

which is stupid, but a different kind of stupid than thinking you can do anything about a huge bridge being completely gone

edit: sorry i thought we were talking about the people still trying to go there not the people on the bridge before it collapsed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Well I'll be darned. There are several! But then....why bridge? I'm guessing the answer is "tunnel too expensive". Welp.

The bridge was further down the river than the tunnels. The tunnels cross the harbor up nearer to the city, while the bridge
was part of the beltway route around the outskirts of the city. Depending on where you're going, the bridge was much faster than driving up and around until you hit one of the tunnels.

As for "why not tunnel instead of bridge" it's a pretty long distance and was probably much more expensive, especially at the time the bridge was built.