Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Please fight the robots

https://x.com/helldivers2/status/1772638366665687303?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
For those curious about the actual order:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I'm braced for this being an unpopular opinion but the live service aspect of the game is starting to get me down. I appreciate that they're trying to do something new and I genuinely wish them well with it, with a few tweaks I'd probably be into it, but I find currently the cost to individual player choice too high.

For example, if you want to play on Heeth or Fenrir (which are my two favourite planets so far), you just can't because they're no longer on the list. Also if you want to revisit termicide missions you can't, even though they were IMO a better version of the defence missions.

On top of that, if you want to commit to their narrative and contribute to the galactic war you're required to complete full campaigns, which means a potentially 120-minute set of missions in the same location against the same enemy type with the same modifiers. All progress is lost if you want to go elsewhere for a change in the middle of it. Combined with the sense that there's a lot of godhanding going on, this leaves me feeling disengaged from the war effort overall and just frustrated that I can't pick and choose from a more generous menu.

I can see the upsides and potential for sure, it's been good for memes and social media and it does seem to be inspiring for a lot of people but I kinda miss Deep Rock's 20-minute mission and modifier rotation, it lets you access more varied content more often, as well as giving you more control over the length of your session.

Maybe once they add a 3rd faction things will feel a bit more open, it's early days, but I'd really like individual missions to count for war effort and for there to be some way to revisit favourite locations when you want, even if it's in some kind of separate simulator mode or something.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

:hmmyes:

Man, I can't help but wonder what this games gonna be like in a year. Like, they seem to have so many things in the pipeline and the new patch today alludes to new things being around the corner. I wonder how far their post-release content timeline is right now. They already had the new block of content ready and now we've had mechs, new weapons, armor, events, maps, and even enemy types. I cannot imagine they're under too much pressure since the games been a hit at launch but they've got so much work cut out right now with the supposed month to month battlepass drop.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I found mines good on the rescue civilian missions because the bot drops always happen in the same spots, and those spots aren't anywhere anyone should be running through.

Otherwise they are dumb and I hate them.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Sokani posted:

For those curious about the actual order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI06dqo1Alg

came to post this video then I looked at the youtube comments.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

novaSphere posted:

Mines are a spectacular trolling tool and should only ever be placed in front of evac bunkers and objective terminals

"Hey guys I found a double door!"

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

raverrn posted:

New patch is out, it just fixes Arcs.

booo

I was enjoying only having to worry about the constant eagles teammates drop on my head, now I have to worry about arcs again.

Also, don't be scared of the bots. They are nothing but toasters with legs.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 26, 2024

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
On elimination missions a minelayer will destroy entire spawns of non-superheavies but uh, that's not great economy IMO when stuff like EMS Mortars+ Eagles or other turrets will enable multiple times that in single deployments.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wonder if this new major order is leading to a content drop this week?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

explosivo posted:

Wonder if this new major order is leading to a content drop this week?

Would very much like that APC or Jeep thing that have been teased/leaked before.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

iirc PlayStation has a rule that you can only get one patch out per week due to their certification process? :iiam:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BadLlama posted:

Would very much like that APC or Jeep thing that have been teased/leaked before.

Yeah, that APC looks unbelievably helpful. Hopefully it can sufficiently tank some damage without killing everyone inside.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It would be nice if taking out factories and bugholes did reduce the spawn rate, and that this was balanced by the spawn rate actually increasing over time as the in-game hint implies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BadLlama posted:

Joel has been randomly dropping into games and calling it for people. It looks fun as hell

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Joel has been randomly dropping into games and calling it for people. It looks fun as hell

that's not joel that's just someone modding

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

its me :evilbuddy:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tommy the Newt posted:

I'm braced for this being an unpopular opinion but the live service aspect of the game is starting to get me down. I appreciate that they're trying to do something new and I genuinely wish them well with it, with a few tweaks I'd probably be into it, but I find currently the cost to individual player choice too high.

For example, if you want to play on Heeth or Fenrir (which are my two favourite planets so far), you just can't because they're no longer on the list. Also if you want to revisit termicide missions you can't, even though they were IMO a better version of the defence missions.

On top of that, if you want to commit to their narrative and contribute to the galactic war you're required to complete full campaigns, which means a potentially 120-minute set of missions in the same location against the same enemy type with the same modifiers. All progress is lost if you want to go elsewhere for a change in the middle of it. Combined with the sense that there's a lot of godhanding going on, this leaves me feeling disengaged from the war effort overall and just frustrated that I can't pick and choose from a more generous menu.

I can see the upsides and potential for sure, it's been good for memes and social media and it does seem to be inspiring for a lot of people but I kinda miss Deep Rock's 20-minute mission and modifier rotation, it lets you access more varied content more often, as well as giving you more control over the length of your session.

Maybe once they add a 3rd faction things will feel a bit more open, it's early days, but I'd really like individual missions to count for war effort and for there to be some way to revisit favourite locations when you want, even if it's in some kind of separate simulator mode or something.

I get where you're coming from, but I am still reporting you for sedition.

I think mission effect is a bit a consequence of the game suffering for its own success. HD1 had an all-time high of 6,744 concurrent players and while I am sure the devs hoped to do better than that, they certainly didn't antecipate doing almost a hundred times that, so we have to have fractions of fractions of percentages per op. It still matters, same as in voting, which I guess makes this the most democratic game there is.

It could be interesting to have a custom mode that let you pick a mission type, world type, enemy type and modifiers and just let you go at it, not gonna lie.

I also agree that it is rare, specially during weeks, to have the time to commit to a full op. I guess it's not really a surprise that a lot of people just do one mission and then skip out, I am certainly guilty of that sometimes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

explosivo posted:

Yeah, that APC looks unbelievably helpful. Hopefully it can sufficiently tank some damage without killing everyone inside.

A single rocket will destroy it. Also it will roll over and kill everyone inside as easily as a 2000's SUV.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ZearothK posted:

I also agree that it is rare, specially during weeks, to have the time to commit to a full op. I guess it's not really a surprise that a lot of people just do one mission and then skip out, I am certainly guilty of that sometimes.

Defend operations with Exterminate 15 mins, Extract 15 mins or Blitz, 13 mins then a 40 min regular mission are a godsend. You can get the whole campaign done in under an hour.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

thotsky posted:

It would be nice if taking out factories and bugholes did reduce the spawn rate, and that this was balanced by the spawn rate actually increasing over time as the in-game hint implies.

Technically speaking, blowing up bases/hives are useful to prevent reinforcements if there's an objective located right by them in the first place due to them constantly trickle feeding in and maybe calling in reinforcements.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Just had my Shipmaster NPC talk about how a 'fraction' of Terminids are showing resistance to the poison and that this was 'to be expected, of course' :ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

novaSphere posted:

Just had my Shipmaster NPC talk about how a 'fraction' of Terminids are showing resistance to the poison and that this was 'to be expected, of course' :ohdear:

The dispatch after the TCS order finished said 'Whew, deployed it just in time! Imagine how many mutations there would've been *without* the Terminex!'

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Lol, remember when the line was "termicide is so deadly for bugs, it's amazing it's 100% safe for all other forms of life"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ChaseSP posted:

Technically speaking, blowing up bases/hives are useful to prevent reinforcements if there's an objective located right by them in the first place due to them constantly trickle feeding in and maybe calling in reinforcements.

It would have to be real near the objective. Near enough that you aggro it. I don’t think I've ever seen that on bug missions aside from maybe egg hunts. Even then, it has no lasting effect if you just leave.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

novaSphere posted:

The .1% of Germs that survive. And they crave vengeance.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

novaSphere posted:

My bet is that we are also going to fix the bots in the next series of major orders and then the hinges will fall out as the Illuminate comes in and we've somehow made the other two factions even stronger.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still think it's wild they somehow made a really solid feeling third-person/first-person shooter with pretty large maps using the aborted game engine from loving Autodesk, after previously just making mostly top-down shooters.

There's a lot of little touches here that're crazy- reloads being multi-segmented into actions so interrupting them makes you start where you left off, the physics of swinging your guns around and how that effects ADS, all the physics from how weighty everything is to the game actually bothering to take into effect the curvature of the surface of the planet with the position of your superdestroyer for orbitals, etc.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 26, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I honestly think that other studios are going to take note and do iterative poo poo with this structure. You can do it across other genres and staple on a thousand systems or whatever poo poo that is so easily monetized. Small groups, meta map progression, drop-in group play, somewhat randomized mission objectives, etc.

It just seems like it would work too well and this game is too popular for Blizzard or whomever to not steal ideas.

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Honestly this is the first game that has made me feel optimistic about Live Service Games. Maybe it's just because its reactive and plays out weekly but it feels less burdensome then seasons normally do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

treepunk as hell posted:

Honestly this is the first game that has made me feel optimistic about Live Service Games. Maybe it's just because its reactive and plays out weekly but it feels less burdensome then seasons normally do.

The bonds having no expirations and just stacking for you to complete as you’d like is great. I hate timed seasons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Black Noise posted:

iirc PlayStation has a rule that you can only get one patch out per week due to their certification process? :iiam:

they've never listed content updates in patch notes and they've never coincided with patches. they add stuff days/weeks/months in advance and then enable it whenever. there's a lot of stuff that they could enable by the end of the week if they wanted to

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

treepunk as hell posted:

Yeah there are some games that have come out that makes you want live service games. Granblue Fantasy Relink is another one that makes you wonder why they didn't go full-on Monster Hunter.

ANyways, this game rules and I'm gonna keep playing it even though it very much does not want people to play it, as evidenced by the constant disconnects and instability. It should also be added to GeForce Now at some point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

treepunk as hell posted:

Its because A) you get the benefits from community rewards without having to grind anything, B) if you do play a decent amount you'll get enough paid currency to buy everything that comes out, and C) the warlords stick around forever so you can't really miss anything

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The bonds having no expirations and just stacking for you to complete as you’d like is great. I hate timed seasons.

Also medals for completed major orders you took no part in. You'd expect to have to participate to get credit for stuff like that, it was awesome coming back from vacation and a week away from the game to like 60 free medals from all the completed orders.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I still think it's wild they somehow made a really solid feeling third-person/first-person shooter with pretty large maps using the aborted game engine from loving Autodesk, after previously just making mostly top-down shooters.

The hardest test to their success, in my opinion, is going to be staying power and ongoing development.

Things are functional, yet sometimes seemingly stuck together by rubber bands, scotch tape, and the heart filling esteem of democracy itself.

I wonder about a year from now with the added content if there will be additional hiccups or they hopefully take a few cycles to adjust performance.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Thank you to everyone who recommended the EAT in this thread. I am now an EAT convert. I didn't pick it because I didn't like only having 2 shots from my stratagem weapon, but that quick cooldown makes it much more palatable.

I wish fighting bots was more fun. I was in a mission last night gathering ore samples with a pubbie team. We were methodically working through the map, being careful to avoid getting into ridiculous fights. Did the two prerequisite objectives before we could collect the soil sample. As soon as we started the main objective, about 10 loving ships just rubberbanded in and dropped about 3-4 tanks on us, and all that hard work just went poof. poo poo like that gets old

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Where’s the hotfix for the Sickle looking and sounding like a normal gun? Huh?? Or the gun model being ~25% too big.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Durzel posted:

Where’s the hotfix for the Sickle looking and sounding like a normal gun? Huh?? Or the gun model being ~25% too big.

What's there to fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is that a sickle on top of your pocket or are you just happy to see liberty