Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Wild how some people have their pawns built. I wasn't paying close enough attention and hired a mage that was at max vocation but with no staff equipped so all she did was throw punches lol. I didn't realize this until I was halfway through an extensive cave network for a side quest, and afterwards I ended up fighting a gryphon, ogre, wolves, and hobgoblins all at once. Took a lot of healing items but we managed it and I couldn't get rid of that pawn fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Wild how some people have their pawns built. I wasn't paying close enough attention and hired a mage that was at max vocation but with no staff equipped so all she did was throw punches lol. I didn't realize this until I was halfway through an extensive cave network for a side quest, and afterwards I ended up fighting a gryphon, ogre, wolves, and hobgoblins all at once. Took a lot of healing items but we managed it and I couldn't get rid of that pawn fast enough.

Yeah I have been checking their equipped abilities every time I hire a pawn, there's so many even at level 25 that have no skills equipped. Real weird.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I installed a mod that doubles the HP of every enemy and I gotta say, the combat feels much more satisfying now.

That sounds like it would just make a ton of fights more tedious. It seems like "enemies do more damage" would be the more intuitive way to make things harder.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Does border crossing town not have a port crystal? Or if it does where the gently caress is it because I can't find it. I finally reached this place and by god did I get swarmed with quests, up to and including saving a child from wolves. As we were running back a gryphon tried to snipe that kid too, I narrowly managed to knock him out of the way and get bodyslammed by the bird instead.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Does border crossing town not have a port crystal? Or if it does where the gently caress is it because I can't find it. I finally reached this place and by god did I get swarmed with quests, up to and including saving a child from wolves. As we were running back a gryphon tried to snipe that kid too, I narrowly managed to knock him out of the way and get bodyslammed by the bird instead.

vernworth and that little fishing town close to it are the only places i've found town portcystals.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nuebot posted:

It does not. A good place for a portable one.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Most towns don't have a portcrystal. The border town has a couple oxcarts.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well I got the true ending.

Felt pretty underwhelming. I guess that's the point or w/e but the ending sequence was Neat but I didn't feel very satisfied. The final act changing how autosave on death worked really hosed me over so I was kind of soured on the whole thing as I lost an hour of progress because I fell off a bridge

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Trash mobs are actually like minions in league of legends, where you use abilities to zip to them to move faster. This message brought to you by mystic spearhand gang

if you're really lucky you can charge a harpy and end up on a higher level of rock.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It does not, but you can just use the oxcart to move between there and Vernworth.

I would save my portcrystals for Bakbattahl (I will never get the name of this city right) and Volcanic Island, at least that's where I've put the two that I've found so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

explosivo posted:

Yeah I have been checking their equipped abilities every time I hire a pawn, there's so many even at level 25 that have no skills equipped. Real weird.

I got my pawn the best gear I can buy for him in Batahl, got a good set of spells, and a 10k reward to kill one cyclops and I got only 1 bite from someone who failed, didn't send a gift or rating lol. Meanwhile I see pawns on their underwear with no weapon or skills has friggin hearts galore on it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Got ghosted by a pawn for the first time. Just trekking through the woods and at one point I realized we were down to three. Fighter pawn nowhere to be found, didn't respond to "come to me" command. Maybe fell off a cliff or something? Just said gently caress it I'm out?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've been playing for like 35 hours now (just got to Bakbattahl) and so far I've only used a single Ferrystone in my entire playthrough, and it was from the Thief town to the east because I just didn't have the energy to run all the way back. I thought I would miss the Eternal Ferrystone but honestly, trekking back and forth between towns plus the oxcarts has been ideal. It reminds me of how I tell myself how I'm going to play Skyrim every time but inevitably end up giving up and just fast travelling everywhere.

I do hope there's an Eternal Ferrystone added at some point in the future, just because I think on subsequent playthroughs the travel time could get excessive, but for my first playthrough I'm really enjoying it.

AcidCat posted:

Got ghosted by a pawn for the first time. Just trekking through the woods and at one point I realized we were down to three. Fighter pawn nowhere to be found, didn't respond to "come to me" command. Maybe fell off a cliff or something? Just said gently caress it I'm out?
Almost always taken by the brine in this case, in my experience.

Although last night I was wandering around Bakbattahl and I noticed my own main pawn was missing. Not even present on my party screen, as if he'd been killed and I'd need to resurrect him from a Riftstone. But then I backtracked to the entrance of town and he was just stuck on a vendor stall, and when I checked he was back in my party. Not sure what exactly the mechanics that cause that are.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

vernworth and that little fishing town close to it are the only places i've found town portcystals.

But they're so close together :argh: I need to find port crystals I can actually carry around and drop, I still haven't.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AcidCat posted:

Probably fell off a cliff/into the water. That happened to me once before with both pawns, there's a few ways for them to die where you get virtually no feedback.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I got my pawn the best gear I can buy for him in Batahl, got a good set of spells, and a 10k reward to kill one cyclops and I got only 1 bite from someone who failed, didn't send a gift or rating lol. Meanwhile I see pawns on their underwear with no weapon or skills has friggin hearts galore on it.

I feel sorry for their Arisen when I see a pawncel with almost no hearts or thumbs up, but I do think you're on the right track, just make a solid pawn that is good at their role, and people will hire them. They'll also be likely to hire them multiple times, as opposed to the Victoria's Secret pawns that probably die to the first goblin they see. You probably know this, but don't forget you can enhance your pawn's equipment using various smithing styles, to boost their stats even further.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I actually bought the port crystal DLC so I could plop one down in Bakbatahl bc I couldn't find one myself yet, playing all out of order.

I cheated that in with 3 bucks yet I've managed to avoid cheating out item weight entirely so far, I've just been engaging with the system which is a win, I rarely ever want to do that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

i feel like there's something weird about pawn saving that some things dont go through, like you change your pawn's job and it autosaved that you changed its job but it doesnt do it again until you've rested at an inn, so in the interim your pawn may not be geared or have skills on. there's enough of this that i think that's a game issue rather than a person issue. whenever i change pawn jobs i gear it up/skill it up and rest at a house because of that thought

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Pretty wild that there seems to be only 2 town portcrystals. That's how many the original game had but the map was also like, a sixth of the size of this one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sloober posted:

i feel like there's something weird about pawn saving that some things dont go through, like you change your pawn's job and it autosaved that you changed its job but it doesnt do it again until you've rested at an inn, so in the interim your pawn may not be geared or have skills on. there's enough of this that i think that's a game issue rather than a person issue. whenever i change pawn jobs i gear it up/skill it up and rest at a house because of that thought

Yeah someone else posted earlier that they hired my Archer pawn but she didn't have a bow, and I think it's pretty unlikely that I ever rested at an inn without her having any weapon equipped, but I guess it's possible.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CharlestonJew posted:

Pretty wild that there seems to be only 2 town portcrystals. That's how many the original game had but the map was also like, a sixth of the size of this one.
The original game (non-Dark Arisen) also only gave you a single portable portcrystal per playthrough, and you were definitely going to place it at Blue Moon Tower so it barely even counts as portable. At least from what I've heard, you can get like at least four or five in DD2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Volte posted:

The original game (non-Dark Arisen) also only gave you a single portable portcrystal per playthrough, and you were definitely going to place it at Blue Moon Tower so it barely even counts as portable. At least from what I've heard, you can get like at least four or five in DD2.

I never put mine at blue moon tower, I always felt the amount of repeat visits to that place were exaggerated. I usually put it somewhere vaguely north close to multiple different places.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, remember that both Melve and the Border Crossing town are easily accessible with Ox carts from the capital, so you might not need port crystals there.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Sloober posted:

This didn't occur to me since I learned how updating your pawn works in the first game, but I bet you're right.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have decided to go with Dwarven smithing for my Archer. If I'm reading this correctly, it will give her incredible Knockdown power while also making her difficult to knock down in turn, which should be hilarious + effective

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This didn't occur to me since I learned how updating your pawn works in the first game, but I bet you're right.

yeah i'm like 99% certain they changed the saving process from 1, probably for less server load or whatever (i cant imagine it takes that much bandwidth so i dunno)

CharlestonJew posted:

there's a third but inaccessible until a certain point

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I want to turn my pawn back into a fighter, but I've a hard time letting go of this outfit, and it's Warrior only. Decisions, decisions...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've obtained three port crystals so far, spoilers if anybody is really struggling to locate some. Don't read if you prefer solving puzzles yourself though.

1) look for an elf by the weapon store in Vernworth. He wants a bow. Give him any old bow, then do several follow up quests, and after you help him save his sister talk to his dad to get a port crystal.

2) the Sphinx (north-ish from the border crossing town, fort above the ancient battlefield, through a cave above and behind the fort) Riddle of Madness. Bring your beloved to answer the riddle and get a port crystal. The item from the Riddle of Eyes helps If you don't set up a teleport right to the Sphinx. If you have no beloved I think your main pawn works.

3) the Sphinx Riddle of Conviction. Hand her the port crystal you just got from the Riddle of Madness when asked for your most valuable item. She'll give it back and dupe you another.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Artelier posted:

Just popping in, how good is DD2 on PC specifically? I've seen a lot of chatter about microtransactions but it looks like the DMC5 genre of MTX (where it can give you a head start but mostly it's just things that you get naturally while playing) so not worried about that.

Like, does it keep up the DD1 style of DMC-ish combat + SotC style climbing? Is the performance okay-ish and are there any PC-specific caveats? I'm itching to play but not sure if I wanna drop in early via a Fanatical deal or wait till a sale or something.

performance is garbage in the cities and randomly sometimes outdoors too and really needs patching but the gameplay is good fun, theres no real excuse for how bad it runs given how normal it looks but i've still played like 20 hours of it and enjoyed most of it

the micros arent an issue at all, its just weird capcom stuff, i'd say its a lot less useful than even DMC5. they charge you like a quid for something you can get in 5 minutes and everything can be earned in game normally, theres maybe a couple things that can be bought for RC, the pawn currency, that would take a little longer to get

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It just has that feel like they didn't care about how many bats or spiders or rats they placed in the parts under the city that they are still doing pathing for

then added all the humans in the city and jail and castle

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
also this bears repeating

the main town is not a non combat zone

dragons, ogres, salamanders, and goblins can all show up inside of it

besides the humans you may fight during botched stealth missions or trespassing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I feel sorry for their Arisen when I see a pawncel with almost no hearts or thumbs up, but I do think you're on the right track, just make a solid pawn that is good at their role, and people will hire them. They'll also be likely to hire them multiple times, as opposed to the Victoria's Secret pawns that probably die to the first goblin they see. You probably know this, but don't forget you can enhance your pawn's equipment using various smithing styles, to boost their stats even further.

Yeah the main thing I need to do is get a specialization, I have been avoiding looking stuff up so I just haven't gotten one at all in my 30 hours of play lmao. However from what I've gathered in this thread, a couple quests I did last night will result in me getting new books tomorrow. Or would be if I wasn't a dumbass who left town and got stranded halfway to my destination on an oxcart before bed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah someone else posted earlier that they hired my Archer pawn but she didn't have a bow, and I think it's pretty unlikely that I ever rested at an inn without her having any weapon equipped, but I guess it's possible.

Oof I wonder if that's also hurting my pawn because I own two houses and sleep in them a lot but it's been a long time since I tested at an Inn.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I made it to Battahl early and decided to take a little trip to the royal palace.

Part of me really wants to put the empress in my magic bottle just to see what happens to the story, but with only one save file I'm not gonna risk it lol.

I made a little trip to the "Forbidden Magick Lab" and uh, this is not going to end well huh. Hilarious that they're doing all this poo poo in the next room over from their big public worship spot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Yeah the main thing I need to do is get a specialization, I have been avoiding looking stuff up so I just haven't gotten one at all in my 30 hours of play lmao. However from what I've gathered in this thread, a couple quests I did last night will result in me getting new books tomorrow. Or would be if I wasn't a dumbass who left town and got stranded halfway to my destination on an oxcart before bed.

I've been looking into the specializations. Forager seemed hands down the most useful one to me at first, but a lot of the resource information you get from pawns is...wrong? I don't know why exactly, but it's disappointing. Then I thought about going Hawker, but apparently you can only get it to work under specific circumstances, and you can't choose which items you want to sell to the pawn. So that's out. Logistician seems to result in pawns doing things you might not want, though I haven't checked this myself. Woodland Wordsmith is theoretically useful, but only for a specific area of the game. Lastly, gently caress Aphonite, I don't consider that to be a proper specialization.

So that leaves Chirurgeon as a specialization that seems useful, and doesn't result in unintended negative consequences (except the consumption of healing items, which is what they're there for). I'm probably going to switch my pawn to this as soon as I can.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Oof I wonder if that's also hurting my pawn because I own two houses and sleep in them a lot but it's been a long time since I tested at an Inn.

i dont think it's necessarily an inn that's required - i think it works at any situation that has your pawn return from being hired so your house should work just fine because its clear that it contacts the server at that point for the return items & RC

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My pawn will report his time with other players after I rest at my house, so it would be very weird if resting at the house didn't also update pawn level/vocation/equipment on the network. If other players are having your pawn show up missing gear that sounds like a bug.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Whichever goon has a pawn named Tandri, I think they have (mechanical/story? spoilers) the Dragonblight? I hired her and immediately got a pop-up about that mechanic, which is extremely sus. Had to dismiss her immediately just to be sure.

e: I looked at the sheet and the goon in question should be Rynyin

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 26, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's the Dullahan quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I feel blind. I am trapped in the gracious hands vaults.