Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wandler20 posted:

That is pretty wild. Glad things went smoothly for you guys.

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh poo poo, heal up Braks

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Silly Burrito posted:

Modern medicine really is a miracle when you think about it. Braks went in for gall bladder removal surgery today. We got to the hospital at 5AM, she was wheeled back for surgery at 7, she was done at 8, in recovery at 9, and we're back at home at 11. That's almost slightly insane how fast that was.
Smooth surgeries are the best surgeries. Hopefully recovery goes just as smoothly!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

Modern medicine really is a miracle when you think about it. Braks went in for gall bladder removal surgery today. We got to the hospital at 5AM, she was wheeled back for surgery at 7, she was done at 8, in recovery at 9, and we're back at home at 11. That's almost slightly insane how fast that was.

Take good care of her and tell her to get better!

My wife went into surgery at 12:30 yesterday. Surgery was done by 2:00 and was back home by 4:30. Yeah it's pretty crazy.

This was after they initially schedule it for 12:00, called the morning of to insist we get there at 10:00 instead, and then were shocked when we weren't there at 9:00. :v:

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

my dad had to have a stent put in last month after another heart attack, he was stented within 2 hours from calling 911 and released home the next day. poo poo is wild.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Get well soon Braks! My mom had her gallbladder out a few years ago and I don't think it affected quality of life much. I think mainly just some diet changes? (I'll admit, I do tend to zone out when my mom starts talking medical because it's mostly complaining about doctors visits over and over.)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Thanks everyone, she's sleeping now. I'm gonna try to keep her as comfortable as I can as long as the drat cat doesn't keep trying to jump on her.

Quiet Feet posted:

Take good care of her and tell her to get better!

My wife went into surgery at 12:30 yesterday. Surgery was done by 2:00 and was back home by 4:30. Yeah it's pretty crazy.

This was after they initially schedule it for 12:00, called the morning of to insist we get there at 10:00 instead, and then were shocked when we weren't there at 9:00. :v:

JPrime posted:

my dad had to have a stent put in last month after another heart attack, he was stented within 2 hours from calling 911 and released home the next day. poo poo is wild.

Here's hoping your wife and dad recover fully soon! :)

I do wonder, are the modern surgeries just that good, or is insurance trying to keep people out of hospital beds (or a small mix of both)? I always thought it was a bit crazy that within 48 hours you're sent home with a kid, but hell, just five hours ago she had a gall bladder, now she doesn't and she's resting away on our couch. Just nuts.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Did you ask if you could keep the gall bladder?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I do wonder, are the modern surgeries just that good, or is insurance trying to keep people out of hospital beds (or a small mix of both)? I always thought it was a bit crazy that within 48 hours you're sent home with a kid, but hell, just five hours ago she had a gall bladder, now she doesn't and she's resting away on our couch. Just nuts.

Mix of everything really. Hospitals turning beds like restaurants turn tables :v:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Silly Burrito posted:

I could have done it in half the time. :colbert:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

Did you ask if you could keep the gall bladder?

We inflated it and gave it to the neighbor kid to use as a soccer ball.

swickles posted:

I could have done it in half the time. :colbert:

No doubt in my mind about that :hfive:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Thank the power of the Knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrZESCp2IsE

Also recover well everyone who's had surgery. May you have a fast, ensure-less recovery

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 26, 2024

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks everyone, she's sleeping now. I'm gonna try to keep her as comfortable as I can as long as the drat cat doesn't keep trying to jump on her.

Here's hoping your wife and dad recover fully soon! :)

Hospitals are good places to recover from illness and surgery and great places to get an infection and have something bad happen. Getting a patient out as quickly as possible is actually a good thing for the patient. As long as she doesn't need IV access or risk of a major complication, then there is no real reason to keep her in. Better to let her sleep and relax in comfortable surroundings. If she were in the hospital, someone would be bugging her every 20 minutes, which makes it tough to get any meaningful sleep.

Just keep an eye on the surgical sites (assuming this was laproscopic) and address her pain as needed. Make sure she farts sometime today if she hasn't already. Other than that tell her we hope she feels better soon!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, when I had to stay overnight recovering from surgery, it was terrible. Just everyone's room beeping constantly, a loving test code red alarm at like 2 am. Sucked! I was power walking around the ward as much as I could to say get me out of there asap.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

Hospitals are good places to recover from illness and surgery and great places to get an infection and have something bad happen. Getting a patient out as quickly as possible is actually a good thing for the patient. As long as she doesn't need IV access or risk of a major complication, then there is no real reason to keep her in. Better to let her sleep and relax in comfortable surroundings. If she were in the hospital, someone would be bugging her every 20 minutes, which makes it tough to get any meaningful sleep.

Just keep an eye on the surgical sites (assuming this was laproscopic) and address her pain as needed. Make sure she farts sometime today if she hasn't already. Other than that tell her we hope she feels better soon!

Will do. If nothing else I can try to fart myself to show her how it's done. :)

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

Will do. If nothing else I can try to fart myself to show her how it's done. :)

attaboy

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Swings into the Taco Bell drive thru on the way home.

Sorry honey, Doctor's orders.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bobjr posted:

When I went to Mackinac Island and saw the bridge that spands the two parts of Michigan they mentioned how the bridge was reinforced and small boats sometimes crash into it and run into a bad time for the boats, and the bridge itself is always fine, but I wonder how much you can even prepare when it’s a ship that big.

I... don't think you can. I read the boat weighed 117000 metric tons*. Even if it was moving very slowly that is an unbelievable amount of force

* guess ur mom was out for her morning swim

harperdc posted:

it's also something that white Americans who moved places for longer than a decade say to avoid realizing they're actually immigrants, because that doesn't match their mental image of the word.

This is a great point lol which has always made me go :thunk:. If you're a well off white dude who left the US for whatever reason, you're a noble and interesting expat. If you are a non-white person coming into the US for whatever reason, you're a dirty and dangerous immigrant. Wonder what the difference could be.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Yeah I had my gallbladder removed in 2022 and I was shocked how fast I was out of there. The hardest thing is just not being able to lift anything and learning when you have to go to the restroom it's time to go.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

She'll be fine, she's unbrakable.

Get well soon, BG!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, when I had to stay overnight recovering from surgery, it was terrible. Just everyone's room beeping constantly, a loving test code red alarm at like 2 am. Sucked! I was power walking around the ward as much as I could to say get me out of there asap.

hospital induced delirium is a thing.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I nominate Crab Cake Span

Crab Cake Span sounds like a Branson Reese D&D NPC name

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh and a quick note about turnover times (TOT) for ORs. There is a constant battle between administration and surgeons (usually on the same side of things but for different reasons) and the OR nursing/tech staff and anesthesia (on the same side for the same reasons). An OR TOT involves both cleaning the OR up from the previous case and setting up for the next one, so it varies based on what the setup is. Usually its between 20 and 30 minutes, but sometimes longer for neuro or ortho cases that have a lot of instruments and imagers. Cardiac cases too because anesthesia needs to set up racks and racks of vials with clearly labeled and set up dosages. I mean look at this poo poo:

Some cases will have double that. Anyways, admin and surgery want the TOT to be as fast as possible because more cases means more money and a shorter day for the surgeon. Doing so however takes time and dutiful effort. Pressure to lower that time leads to mistakes and lack of preparation. I think the bare minimum for TOT is 12 or 14 minutes, and that is if a patient is wheeling out and they need the OR for an emergency surgery. However, a good hospital will have one OR on standby at all times for an emergency so really you need 2 ORs which does happen, especially with motor vehicle collisions and sadly shootings. To get that OR ready, you have to remove all the trash and linings of the tables, beds, etc of the previous case. Sanitize those surfaces, mop the floors, clean the lights, inventory and restock any drugs and equipment, cover all the tables and beds, bring out the equipment. Once there, you can wait until surgery is about to begin and then the scrub nurse usually goes in first and scrubs, gowning themselves. Then they open the sterile equipment and lay it all out. Then they help the surgeon and whoever else is scrubbing in to gown and then the surgery begins.

So yeah, its wild to do all that in half an hour, but it does in thousands of facilities everyday.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Now no one can accuse her of having the gall to do something :dadjoke:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

Oh and a quick note about turnover times (TOT) for ORs. There is a constant battle between administration and surgeons (usually on the same side of things but for different reasons) and the OR nursing/tech staff and anesthesia (on the same side for the same reasons). An OR TOT involves both cleaning the OR up from the previous case and setting up for the next one, so it varies based on what the setup is. Usually its between 20 and 30 minutes, but sometimes longer for neuro or ortho cases that have a lot of instruments and imagers. Cardiac cases too because anesthesia needs to set up racks and racks of vials with clearly labeled and set up dosages. I mean look at this poo poo:

Some cases will have double that. Anyways, admin and surgery want the TOT to be as fast as possible because more cases means more money and a shorter day for the surgeon. Doing so however takes time and dutiful effort. Pressure to lower that time leads to mistakes and lack of preparation. I think the bare minimum for TOT is 12 or 14 minutes, and that is if a patient is wheeling out and they need the OR for an emergency surgery. However, a good hospital will have one OR on standby at all times for an emergency so really you need 2 ORs which does happen, especially with motor vehicle collisions and sadly shootings. To get that OR ready, you have to remove all the trash and linings of the tables, beds, etc of the previous case. Sanitize those surfaces, mop the floors, clean the lights, inventory and restock any drugs and equipment, cover all the tables and beds, bring out the equipment. Once there, you can wait until surgery is about to begin and then the scrub nurse usually goes in first and scrubs, gowning themselves. Then they open the sterile equipment and lay it all out. Then they help the surgeon and whoever else is scrubbing in to gown and then the surgery begins.

So yeah, its wild to do all that in half an hour, but it does in thousands of facilities everyday.

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of prep.

Do you have any idea your record for most surgeries in one day?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of prep.

Do you have any idea your record for most surgeries in one day?

It kind of depends. I am away from my computer now but when back will tell you about how OR scheduling is done. At large hospitals, one anesthesiologist does nothing but schedule and run the board, shuffling cases and staff and such during the day. Anesthesiologists will often cover two rooms at a time, with CRNAs or residents practicing under them. As far as actual surgeries go, and handling start to finish I have done maybe 6 or 7 in one day. In procedures like endoscopies, which only take a few minutes and the TOT is also much smaller since there isn't a sterile field, an anesthesiologist or CRNA can knock out a dozen or more in a given day.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

swickles posted:

It was robotic surgery. I am trying to work up a massive beefer as we speak.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Don’t blow out your O-ring

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that's some race car pit stop poo poo

I had appendicitis and an appendectomy in 2008, and I was hospitalized for a week afterward because of some bleeding issues and then a very slow recovery from the poo poo anesthesia did to me, so I'm very glad they didn't try to shovel me out the door in 2 hours. But also resting in a shared hospital room was impossible. The nurses would change shift in the middle of the night and all the ones coming in would have a nice loud chat with each other, it was bad enough that on the fourth night I was wheeling my rack of bags and my bare rear end out there to tell them to shut the gently caress up or close all the doors or both. I wanted to be very nice to these people who were taking care of me but I had hit a sleep deprivation threshold that erased my capacity for diplomacy.

e. also I could not fart or poop for nearly a week and I couldn't pee for three days even though they kept pushing liquids into me, it was agony, I eventually demanded a catheter it was that bad; the cure was to get up and walk around, apparently that tells your body to start working again after the anesthesia, but I was too nauseus to get up the first two days... on the third day my wife finally got the attention of a real doctor who was like oh we can give him something for the nausea and that fixed it in like 20 minutes

tl;dr, braks you might find you can't get your butthole to work until you can get up and walk around a couple or three times, so follow doctor's orders of course but do that as soon as you can safely do it

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 26, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
They did surgery on a grapegoon?!?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Get well everyone from all these surgeries! Too many people going to the hospital in this thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I got better in 2008 but thanks

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Chain ferry you say? Surely you can't gently caress that up, especially one that only has a 100m span to cover

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I didn't have surgery but I have a moist hacking cough thats getting to be really annoying if I want to do anything other than sit still. Sound like the malboro man working up a lung.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hey hope your recovery is quick Braks.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Hope you get well soon, Braks!

Ahhh I got assigned to help with a case that has been in court for almost 11 years but it's only had 3 different ongoing case workers though, which us pretty amazing. Cleaning up all the discovery, court orders, legal assingments, and making it managable will be fun, especially since I'm knee deep in a massive project.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Get well soon!

Both of the people I know who had that surgery felt much better afterward. The change in diet probably helped as well.

Braksgirl posted:

Silly Burrito posted:

Don’t blow out your O-ring

Ah, springtime. The time for romance and for young love to blossom.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Got a new TV today. Finally replaced my 17 or 18 year old tv. I might have gotten one size too big, but I’m also planning to walk mount it, which will push it back another foot or so and then it should be fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Get well soon Braks, and also what the gently caress is a gallbladder. Like I basically know what the heart, lungs, brain, liver, kidneys, intestine and stomach do, but every other internal organ, no idea.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bird in a Blender posted:

Got a new TV today. Finally replaced my 17 or 18 year old tv. I might have gotten one size too big, but I’m also planning to walk mount it, which will push it back another foot or so and then it should be fine.

https://i.imgur.com/WMs2zjJ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Air Skwirl posted:

Get well soon Braks, and also what the gently caress is a gallbladder. Like I basically know what the heart, lungs, brain, liver, kidneys, intestine and stomach do, but every other internal organ, no idea.

Tea is stored in the galls