Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
doesnt there have to be a much-of-two-decades time skip, since alia is visibly adultish? they'll have to bring in the touch of grey hair dye and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Excellent question/point.

Seems like Denis really screwed up by compressing the timeline.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure they have a plan.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Plans within plans...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"We don't hope, we plan" was an excellent line.

Also, the weird voice that opens each movie- that has to be a tank-bound guild navigator, right?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Tree Bucket posted:

"We don't hope, we plan" was an excellent line.

Also, the weird voice that opens each movie- that has to be a tank-bound guild navigator, right?

Read somewhere that it's officially the Sardaukar throat singing dude. Would be a lot cooler if it was Leto 2

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Shoehead posted:

The movie was so good I loved watching it but man the whole narrative kind of suffered from trying so hard to not show child Alia at all costs. So the whole few years ends up taking place over I think 6-7 months instead of a few years. Plus I kind of feel that having Leto II (the first)'s death would have been a better motivation to move south than we got but I also understand that Paul cant have a child on this timeline and there being 2 Leto IIs is really messy

Uhhhhhhh Leto II's death came only after they had moved south, and the Harkonnens suddenly launched a surprise attack in the south after avoiding it the whole time. Chani survived only because Jessica called her back north to revive Paul who was chilling in his Water of Life coma for a month. He got the news as soon as he nuked the Shield Wall; they launched their attack on the emperor right after he woke up, because the coma gave him a vision that the Guild and emperor had arrived.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

doesnt there have to be a much-of-two-decades time skip, since alia is visibly adultish? they'll have to bring in the touch of grey hair dye and everything

You're thinking of Children. She's still a teenager in Messiah

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
She looks the same in Messiah and Children (until the end where she gets puffy from stress/indulgence). Part of the Bene Gesserit beef with her is that she’s making them look bad by using prana bindu skills to not physically age.

I think bob dobbs is dead just means that it’s going to be funny to make everyone else look like they’re older enough for a fetus to have become Anya Taylor Joy in the meantime. Personally I hope Chalamet grows a patriarchal beard.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I regret that we'll never see an otherwise hairless and glistening Feyd with a patriarchal beard.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

I regret that we'll never see an otherwise hairless and glistening Feyd with a patriarchal beard.

perhaps if someone drew him...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ChubbyChecker posted:

perhaps if someone drew him...

Patriarchally-bearded Chalamet looks a bit too Mumford & Sons, but Lovely Feyd kinda works!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

And I will Feyd, I will Feyd, for you *furious baliset noises*

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

Patriarchally-bearded Chalamet looks a bit too Mumford & Sons, but Lovely Feyd kinda works!

:nice:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ChubbyChecker posted:

this is my favorite navigator:

Oh hell yes

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fuschia tude posted:

Uhhhhhhh Leto II's death came only after they had moved south, and the Harkonnens suddenly launched a surprise attack in the south after avoiding it the whole time. Chani survived only because Jessica called her back north to revive Paul who was chilling in his Water of Life coma for a month. He got the news as soon as he nuked the Shield Wall; they launched their attack on the emperor right after he woke up, because the coma gave him a vision that the Guild and emperor had arrived.

Ahhh my brain swapped the order of events

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like you can probably get away with a lot of liberties adapting Dune because I remember the main order of events outside the big set pieces pretty vaguely. They're not that important compared to the personal arcs.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Original baby Leto was never Leto II.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shaddak posted:

Original baby Leto was never Leto II.

original baby leto was absolutely leto ii, there were two leto ii's

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

This bothers me so much.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

OPAONI posted:

This bothers me so much.

Friends of mine had a daughter, some years back. She got meningitis and it absolutely fried her brain. She died. About 3 years later they had another daughter, whose name is the name of their first also. People name poo poo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Do you only get the regnal number once you ascend to the noble seat?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

The first one was leh-toh II, and the second was lee-toh II. Problem solved.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
still not as weird as james VI / I of england/scotland

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

still not as weird as james VI / I of england/scotland

As usual, the reality of aristocracy defies any attempt at parody

https://archive.org/details/lifeandtimesgeo00crolgoog/page/n561/mode/1up

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Do you only get the regnal number once you ascend to the noble seat?

Yeah, it's something like that. Yes, they named him Leto but, he was never formally made heir. Otherwise, the God Emperor would have been Leto III.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shaddak posted:

Yeah, it's something like that. Yes, they named him Leto but, he was never formally made heir. Otherwise, the God Emperor would have been Leto III.

differed by nation and language and was political in nature. everyone who named themselves the first, basically, was making a political statement, for example (napoleon bonaparte, turned to napoleon I, most of all)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Paul is also tripping nuts the whole time his first kid lived and died and sometimes seems as though he literally can’t tell present from (possible) future. So maybe when he figured “son=Leto II” he had the wrong one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stilgar's comments about the djinn in DUNC2 has me wondering how high everyone is all the time. Like, most people don't have Paul's talent for prescience, but Fremen are apparently getting at least half of their calories from spice. Their baseline experience of reality might be very different from other people's.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shaddak posted:

Duke Leto III. Emperor who knows what but possibly I.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
herbert is quite, quite clear that they're a low-to-mid-level of high the entire time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Duke Leto III. Emperor who knows what but possibly I.

(3 + 1)/ 2 = 2 ezpz

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, someone on Twitter did the natural thing, and added a fleshlight to the bucket - and did exactly what you expect.
Can’t link it because I don’t know how spoilers and embeds interact, but their username is basedsuccboi.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

herbert is quite, quite clear that they're a low-to-mid-level of high the entire time

Yeah iirc this is part of why they’re such good fighters, they have spidey senses thanks to the power of constant low level drug huffing

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Shaddak posted:

emperor dickless worm was a turd alright

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Opening the tomb at Dar-es-Balat:

Bubblyblubber posted:

emperor dickless worm was a turd alright

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Opening the tomb at Dar-es-Balat:

i am not dickless moneo don't let them put in my diaries that i am dickless

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I allowed the subjects of my divine empire to think that I had a weird hosed up dick and perverse sexual practices when in fact, I did not. This was because I am very smart and all the choirs of history sing within me.

—from the Stolen Journals

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Isn't it canon in the books that just about everyone uses spice? Members of the Great Houses, the Bene Gesserit, Mentats, everybody's doing it! The Spacing Guild and the Fremen are just on shitloads more than everyone else, one for the prescience and the other because it's just loving everywhere on Arrakis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Isn't it canon in the books that just about everyone uses spice? Members of the Great Houses, the Bene Gesserit, Mentats, everybody's doing it! The Spacing Guild and the Fremen are just on shitloads more than everyone else, one for the prescience and the other because it's just loving everywhere on Arrakis.

Yes, everyone who can afford it takes Spice because at its most basic it makes you live longer and have a healthier life and more alert mind, even outside of all the psychic poo poo. It's usually a small amount though, not mainlining it, and it's not clear exactly how much is needed to not end up in total (and fatal) withdrawal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Right, thanks. I think that was a wise change for the new films, IIRC it's never really mentioned that the Landsraad or space witches or human computers are dosing all the time too - I might be wrong but I think they even cut out the health effects of spice and left it as just "vital to space travel" for the Guild. Simplifies things and really drives home the oil allegory. Am I right about this? Paul's little educational hologram doesn't even mention that the Navigators use it to help them fold space?

I forgot withdrawal was fatal too, drat.