Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
that way you can claim the weed is medicinal too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

venus de lmao posted:

my sense of smell was shot off in iraq

This was Hemingway's first draft of The Sun Also Rises.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

It does seem like weed breeders and consumers have come to the conclusion that "lots of terpenes = better weed".

I've had examples of low terpene weed that was super strong and really stinky stuff that was meh.

Somebody needs to breed a very low terpene, high delta 9 variety for those who don't want to reek after a smoke.

Is anyone putting weed extract through an industrial fractionating column so they can reassemble their custom blend exactly to their desires?
Have it be like those blended soft-drink machines, you put in your recipe and it spits out a cart.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is anyone putting weed extract through an industrial fractionating column so they can reassemble their custom blend exactly to their desires?
Have it be like those blended soft-drink machines, you put in your recipe and it spits out a cart.

I loving wish. I've encountered some weird loving blends. I'm not sure who comes up with this poo poo but they need to do better. I need to just make my own.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phanatic posted:

This was Hemingway's first draft of The Sun Also Rises.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

venus de lmao posted:

my sense of smell was shot off in iraq

Much like my old mess sergeant's taste buds

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes, actually.
Theyre doing cannnabinoid distillates and adding terpenes back in to thin it so they actually work in carts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Weed engineers: turning sour diesel into actual diesel

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswf_8Ch39s

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
who needs weed when you can take DHEA or pregnenolone and get the potentially nasty heart side-effects with none of the fun

also, explosions&fire + extractions&ire is really funny so whoever mentioned that, good recommendation. It's especially funny when he goes on a rant to the point of passing out about a mostly unrelated topic. nuclear detonations on mars lol

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
despite his protestations, he does solid chemistry and his teaching style reminds me of a bit of Zubrick, author of The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I like watching explosions and fire guy get fatter, bushier and more unhinged the closer he gets/got to finishing his thesis.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
explosions/extractions & fire/ire is my favourite youtube chemist but honourable mentions to cody's mars base and that guy doing alchemy using a blowtorch you actually blow

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hello thread, can I consult your explosion-honed brains? I'm writing a book that has a kid trying, incompetently, to burn down a building. He has a can full of petrol with maybe an inch of air in the top. he opens it, waits 30 seconds, and drops a lit match in. What happens?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that you’ll get a fwoosh as the gas vapor–air mixture in the can and the open air above burns. The you have maybe a fist‐sized flame coming out of the mouth. If the can is plastic, things rapidly get more energetic as the can melts and burns, liberating more gasoline. If the can is metal, the flame grows as the heat causes the gas to evaporate more and more rapidly in a feedback loop.

Disclaimer: while I have played with my share of fire, I never did anything that dumb. So I’m basing this on smaller “experiments”, plus secondhand observations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPKen4QwY7I&t=56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYqp4-GVM84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBw5RiNqRFQ&t=68s

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 hours!)

sebmojo posted:

hello thread, can I consult your explosion-honed brains? I'm writing a book that has a kid trying, incompetently, to burn down a building. He has a can full of petrol with maybe an inch of air in the top. he opens it, waits 30 seconds, and drops a lit match in. What happens?

Gasoline doesn't really burn, just the vapour, and the fuel-air ratio for gasoline is sensitive (go ask in AI), and there's not a lot of vapour in the top inch.

So your match would go out. Maybe a gout of flame from the can as the vapour ignited and used up all the oxygen inside the can but it wouldn't keep burning. Probably.

Surface area - oily rags act like wicks, pouring it out onto stuff gets you the big clouds of vapourized petrol to get it going.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
We have two posters contradicting each other, clearly this has to be solved experimentally.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rust Martialis posted:

Gasoline doesn't really burn, just the vapour, and the fuel-air ratio for gasoline is sensitive (go ask in AI), and there's not a lot of vapour in the top inch.

So your match would go out. Maybe a gout of flame from the can as the vapour ignited and used up all the oxygen inside the can but it wouldn't keep burning. Probably.

Surface area - oily rags act like wicks, pouring it out onto stuff gets you the big clouds of vapourized petrol to get it going.

This is what i wrote, so i think I'll call that vaguely plausible!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

I think that you’ll get a fwoosh as the gas vapor–air mixture in the can and the open air above burns. The you have maybe a fist‐sized flame coming out of the mouth. If the can is plastic, things rapidly get more energetic as the can melts and burns, liberating more gasoline. If the can is metal, the flame grows as the heat causes the gas to evaporate more and more rapidly in a feedback loop.

Rust Martialis posted:

Bolded the important part. Both of these scenarios are plausible because the A/F ratio is so sensitive. If it were diesel, then the match goes out. If it were acetone, then a bad time is about to occur. With gasoline, it could be either. If it's E85 gasoline, then entrained water does WEIRD things to it.

Write what works for your plot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Try it out :shrug:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think I know an Australian who would try it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Please do not play around with fuels and open flames. Especially without any fire suppression.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
To make the test as accurate as possible do it indoors.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Please do not play around with fuels and open flames. Especially without any fire suppression.

Come on, live a little. Very little, maybe.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Midjack posted:

Come on, live a little. Very little, maybe.

I work with HF for a living.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Bolded the important part. Both of these scenarios are plausible because the A/F ratio is so sensitive. If it were diesel, then the match goes out. If it were acetone, then a bad time is about to occur. With gasoline, it could be either. If it's E85 gasoline, then entrained water does WEIRD things to it.

Write what works for your plot.
I think if we're constrained by a match only we're limited to the boring result. Lighting your spigot vapor on fire is usually reserved for doing dumb accelerant things where the nozzle gets into very close contact with an existing fire.

If you're looking to actually start a fire you probably need a kindling popsicle stick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mustached Demon posted:

I work with HF for a living.

Harbor Freight? You're braver than I thought!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I was going to say, you can easily design an experiment with small amounts of regular gasoline, a smaller container and a similar or even exact air-to-surface area ratio while taking care of safety concerns like fire suppression, protection, distance from ignition at a location that doesn't burn but it's a pain in the rear end. With like 10 trials, it'd probably ratio out to a few smotherings and some catches, depending on how much air could be circulated or was initially available near the vapor.

if you don't regularly do stuff like this tho and have training on how to stop a fire with a rapidly combustible source, it's not safe to try.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Where people tend to get into trouble is when they toss a cupful or more of gasoline onto an already-burning fire. My dad did that once or twice, with impressive (and, very fortunately, non-injurious) results.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I use vegetable oil for this, and also to start charcoal. No idea why people use volatile hydrocarbons for that poo poo (other than fun).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The gasoline can will have different behavior if the kid drops a match in it in on a cold winter night versus having the scene take place in an attic in July.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Initially i had it just go out, but i added a little 'foof' of flame. The idea is for the reader to go 'oh no you absolute idiot child don't do that' but for the character not to actually die in a horrible explosion, and for it to be plausible, and i think I'm at the right place!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Initially i had it just go out, but i added a little 'foof' of flame. The idea is for the reader to go 'oh no you absolute idiot child don't do that' but for the character not to actually die in a horrible explosion, and for it to be plausible, and i think I'm at the right place!

Call up your local fire station and say "Hey i'm trying to write a book, any chance y'all can tell me about fuel/air mixtures re: gasoline and maybe please help me test some things?" Then one of two things happen: You either get arrested as a suspected arsonist or a bunch of bored fire professionals will get excited to have a fun distraction for a few hours.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sebmojo posted:

Now, if he filled the room with particulate flour blown around by fans and THEN was dumb enough to light a match and drop it into an ignition source...that'd basically be a poor man's thermobaric.

It's two things a stupid kid could readily get - gasoline and flour.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Now, if he filled the room with particulate flour blown around by fans and THEN was dumb enough to light a match and drop it into an ignition source...that'd basically be a poor man's thermobaric.

It's two things a stupid kid could readily get - gasoline and flour.

this is specifically a poorly framed plan to burn something down with a can of gas, I don't actually want a giant explosion. though I might grab that for later in the book. it's a great thriller detail.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah I live real close to several sizable grain silos and whenever I drive by them I always wonder a little if I'll get to have every window in my house blow out someday because a worker tried to light a cigarette or a wire bitten by rats sparked at the wrong time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sebmojo posted:

this is specifically a poorly framed plan to burn something down with a can of gas, I don't actually want a giant explosion. though I might grab that for later in the book. it's a great thriller detail.

There's actually a (Hollywoodized) version of it in Equalizer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ48tjrz7JQ

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
surprised they never did the flour thing in Burn Notice. That show loved explosions and did macgyver-esque stuff all the time. Like using a high enough CO concentration + a spark to cause an explosion.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

surprised they never did the flour thing in Burn Notice. That show loved explosions and did macgyver-esque stuff all the time. Like using a high enough CO concentration + a spark to cause an explosion.

I've watched that dumb show over and over a few times and I don't remember them doing it ever. I'm guessing because doing it accurately would have exposed how all the other "dangerous" explosions were achieved via that method IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

Burn Notice is a treasure. You know it was going to be good when it had dad bod Ash Williams as the sidekick.