Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ghost Aerith dresses like a zombie or gets a fake stab wound to gently caress with Cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think the worse part of all of this is that i wouldn't be surprised if nomura et al just retroactively change what the ending of this game was supposed to mean, doesn't exactly feel like it's all planned out in any sensible way from start to finish

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes it does

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I know it's like, storytelling and all but thinking about Dyne and laughing really hard again

Dude shot up the Gold Saucer's security team and can't hold his daughter anymore with all the blood on his hands while Barret's standing there like 'bro don't ask me about the first game and up till now"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even in the original Dyne’s a bit out of place. Like they had to put him in somewhere for Barrett’s story but there’s not a super great spot for it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

yes it does

Ehhh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

kliras posted:

i think the worse part of all of this is that i wouldn't be surprised if nomura et al just retroactively change what the ending of this game was supposed to mean, doesn't exactly feel like it's all planned out in any sensible way from start to finish

Do you know why this argument is stupid? I mean ignoring the premise of it? It requires that the people in charge and involved understand everything perfectly are able to hit great moment after great moment and craft these amazing story beats and great relationships to make people care and then "Ah but they just sorta threw the ending together no plan."

It requires the belief of meticulous planning right until the last second. That's stupid. Also like... god I love having this now.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1755117418761146618

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nomura is more of a concept than a person, really.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

The Dave posted:

Aerith the party member is quite down and dead. Aerith the life stream queen is having the time of her life and just took a round from Lifestream Sephiroth.

We've already played as Aerith once after her 'death' and that was with just one whole hour of game left. There's not a chance she's not included in some playable form at some point in the entire third game after they went to all the trouble of changing what they changed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing's for sure: these days, I like Final Fantasy better with Nomura than without him

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I'm fully in the camp of: Aerith will be dead and gone and maybe not seen until Cloud puts his brain back together. In the vein of "We can't have the Jaws Sephiroth in Remake because everyone knows who he is" and "We can't play Aerith's death straight because everyone knows it." You can't have Cloud be put back together and it's just like the original.

Cloud's initial disassociation was his mind effectively scrambling to come up with something that held this bag of bones, mako poisoning and jenova cells all in one coherent position. Note that Cloud, right before he breaks is convinced nothing Sephiroth shows him will break him, because it's just a lie that's not what pushes him over the edge, it's Tifa effectively confirming that Sephiroth is correct and not lying. Cloud breaks because even though he can justify the contradictions, he cannot justify Tifa siding with them.

Reassembling Cloud involves properly exploring his relationship with Tifa (Why was the promise so valuable to Cloud) but also, uncovering the truth that Cloud was at Nibelheim 5 years ago, he did kill Sephiroth, he did fulfill his promise.

But we already know that. Meaning it's not actually a twist for the player and it's not new information. To present it as is, is to justclap at the well-sculpted Thing That Exists and, which the Re-Trilogy so far has strayed away from doing.

So what information does the party have that the player is unsure of which Tifa and Sephiroth would have, that would break Cloud? That Aerith is dead and he didn't save her. And what information would help put his brain right again? The truth of what happened at the City of the Ancients.

Does this involve Aerith "Coming back to life/Rejoining the party" I don't think so, no. I think at this point Aerith is the Omniaerith, (Not to be confused with the Onmi-Aerith which isn't real and cannot hurt you), She's the same as the Sephiroth who's loving with time and space. She's already proven she can displace things from one timeline to another by giving Cloud the White Materia, which even Sephiroth called out as being utter bullshit. But it will I believe tie into what is going on with the Magnus Materia. Again the whole Magnus Materia plotline is very... odd, in the original FF7, it just sorta is waffling about until we go back to the Northern Crater.

Harrow posted:

One thing's for sure: these days, I like Final Fantasy better with Nomura than without him

I genuinely think Tetsuya Nomura is one of the best creative minds in the industry, I think he grasps emotional storytelling on an exceptional level, I think people memeing about the guy who's into fashion having his designs reflect fashion trends into "Belts and Zippers" (Which really is just Plaid now) was brought on by a lot of 2000's "Shame of liking thing."

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I’m meandering through Hard mode now, trying to get all those manuscripts before attempting the Legendary Chadley challenges. Finished chapter 8 yesterday, it’s amazing how quickly these chapters go by when you skip all the cutscenes, dialogue, and minigames. And also have Gotterdammerung.

I bumped up to chapter 12 to knock out all the side quests that give manuscripts just to get them out of the way…only to realize the ultimate party animal gives one, and you have to beat every side quest to unlock that one. So now I get to go back and do the ones I was skipping, hooray…

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Zack and Aerith will be playable on and off throughout the game as they have to fight off the Sephiroth bullshit attacking the lifestream to ensure it can work at the end of the game. The Safer Sephiroth fight will be split into two components, similar to what they did in Rebirth, where Cloud and company fight the living half and Zack and Aerith fight the lifestream half.

To what people have theorized, after the fight when Cloud gets pulled into the 1v1 Final Destination no items Fox only in the OG, Zack and Aerith are also there. They send him off back into the world of the living where the crew flees on the Higwind, meteor starts to destroy Midgar, and the now uninhibited lifestream comes out to counteract meteor. Cue flashes of light, quick cut to Aerith's face, maybe Zack too, roll credits.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Are they gonna do a 1 to 1 retelling of FF7's ending though? Granted a lot of the character stuff that an epilogue would cover, probably could get rolled into the Return to Midgar section though. Still, something in me feels though that Part 3 is not gonna end with just a cut to credits after meteor is stopped, or have the only denouement scene being Red visiting Midgar hundreds of years later.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CPFortest posted:

Are they gonna do a 1 to 1 retelling of FF7's ending though? Granted a lot of the character stuff that an epilogue would cover, probably could get rolled into the Return to Midgar section though. Still, something in me feels though that Part 3 is not gonna end with just a cut to credits after meteor is stopped, or have the only denouement scene being Red visiting Midgar hundreds of years later.

I do get the feeling that we are going to see a changed, protracted and extended ending at the very least. I suspect Part 3 might be the most off the rails game given the Wutai setup (and other changes) but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
When does Genesis show up?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rhonne posted:

When does Genesis show up?

When Gackt signs a deal with Squeenix again

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t think the events of the game are going to meaningfully change, just be expanded on. The most change we’ve got in Rebirth was the introduction of the Gi as a faction, IMO, and that has little to no effect on the destined chain of events.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's pretty much how this whole trilogy has been sold so far and what the creators have repeatedly said in interviews, so yeah. Especially after Rebirth I'm inclined to believe them that the overall plot will still essentially be the plot of FF7, just expanded and with this new multiverse element added in.

IMO after Rebirth, I feel like this is less a "sequel" to FF7 and more of a reimagining (again, what the creators have always said). They added elements of foreknowledge, prophetic visions, and an exploration of predestination in light of all that, but as of the end of Rebirth, it still feels like FF7 to me, and not FF7-2. Which is cool by me, that's basically what I wanted, and even after all my bellyaching earlier in the thread I do think Rebirth has sold me on the multiverse plot better than Remake did. Part of it is that I have more faith now that there's still an emotional core to all this that will pay off in part 3 and that it's not all just empty mystery box stuff added just for the sake of changing things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still don’t really understand the function the multiverse/Whisper stuff, but I suppose that’ll become clear in 2027 (or 2029 I guess).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Harrow posted:

That's pretty much how this whole trilogy has been sold so far and what the creators have repeatedly said in interviews, so yeah. Especially after Rebirth I'm inclined to believe them that the overall plot will still essentially be the plot of FF7, just expanded and with this new multiverse element added in.
aren't we on record with advent children and ever crisis being not just canon but also "integrated" components of the remake? i don't know what the implications of this will be, especially as someone who never played ever crisis, but sounds like it's at least ff7++, even though i'm not sure how much advent children expanded the lore

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

kliras posted:

aren't we on record with advent children and ever crisis being not just canon but also "integrated" components of the remake? i don't know what the implications of this will be, especially as someone who never played ever crisis, but sounds like it's at least ff7++, even though i'm not sure how much advent children expanded the lore

Well the Sephiroth we're dealing with is post-Advent Children Sephiroth.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

bobjr posted:

Even in the original Dyne’s a bit out of place. Like they had to put him in somewhere for Barrett’s story but there’s not a super great spot for it.

Dyne works in the OG because the gold saucer in the OG was explicitly built on the ruins of corel town, just like a funhouse version of midgar and the undercity, so its a reminder of why Barret is fighting and what Shinra does as well as making it even more explicit that the world of shinra is built on the bones of those they oppressed. Changing it in the remake so that the corel refugee village was always the original location of the town and the Gold Saucer is just built on undeveloped desert really undercuts that angle.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I would love if game 3 gaslights everyone by just starting with Aerith in the party and no explanation of why she's there or any acknowledgement at all that she shouldn't be.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Dyne works in the OG because the gold saucer in the OG was explicitly built on the ruins of corel town, just like a funhouse version of midgar and the undercity, so its a reminder of why Barret is fighting and what Shinra does as well as making it even more explicit that the world of shinra is built on the bones of those they oppressed. Changing it in the remake so that the corel refugee village was always the original location of the town and the Gold Saucer is just built on undeveloped desert really undercuts that angle.

The Gold Saucer wasn’t built on undeveloped desert per se. The amount of mako it uses to run it turned the area around it into a desert.

Chadley mentions it in some dialogue on the last two protorelic bits iirc

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Instead of just Tifa going into the lifestream to help Cloud fix his broke brain, it should he whoever you have the highest bond with. Some of these characters will be better equipped to help Cloud with his issues than others.

Vincent just spends the whole time going, "Heh, you call this tragic? My backstory is at least 10 times more traumatic than yours."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I would love if game 3 gaslights everyone by just starting with Aerith in the party and no explanation of why she's there or any acknowledgement at all that she shouldn't be.

Aerith is in the party but no one interacts with her but Cloud and everyone acts as if she's gone. It's like if you used a cheat device to add her to your party in original FF7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Instead of just Tifa going into the lifestream to help Cloud fix his broke brain, it should he whoever you have the highest bond with. Some of these characters will be better equipped to help Cloud with his issues than others.

Vincent just spends the whole time going, "Heh, you call this tragic? My backstory is at least 10 times more traumatic than yours."

I genuinely have no idea who would be better equipped than Tifa. Like even Red XIII is a dorky kid.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rhonne posted:

Cloud puts himself back together just so he can walk away under his own recognizance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any guesses what the new English localized names for the last two Jenova forms will be? In this, Jenova BIRTH was translated as Jenova Emergent and Jenova LIFE was Jenova Lifeclinger. We've got DEATH (Deathbringer?) and SYNTHESIS to go.

Maybe they'll call the final form Jenova Reunion or Jenova Reunited

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely have no idea who would be better equipped than Tifa. Like even Red XIII is a dorky kid.

Cait Sith gives actual great and helpful advice, but Cloud can't take any of it seriously because it's coming from a talking Scottish cat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Cait Sith gives actual great and helpful advice, but Cloud can't take any of it seriously because it's coming from a talking Scottish cat.

That does make me wonder what happens if Cait Sith goes into the lifestream. Dude's a robot.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Four Sephiroths on the edge of a cliff

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know it's like, storytelling and all but thinking about Dyne and laughing really hard again

Dude shot up the Gold Saucer's security team and can't hold his daughter anymore with all the blood on his hands while Barret's standing there like 'bro don't ask me about the first game and up till now"

I like that immediately after the fight with Dyne is concluded Barret guns down a bunch of Shinra cyclists and thinks “I hope Dyne would be proud of me”.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Barret should have been given Dyne's gun arm.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bland posted:

We've already played as Aerith once after her 'death' and that was with just one whole hour of game left. There's not a chance she's not included in some playable form at some point in the entire third game after they went to all the trouble of changing what they changed.

I don't disagree with this? I just don't expect her to be a full time party member or be more than Zack/Seph were gameplay wise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

This!!

And a junk Hydra attack.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aerith is going to return to the party on a full time basis before the end of the game so you can use her in post game stuff

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Rhonne posted:

I was thinking the whole time to just pick up the gun, it's right there, it's not like Dyne's gonna use it.

This is just like any scene that has a purple box in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Onmi posted:

Well the Sephiroth we're dealing with is post-Advent Children Sephiroth.

Actually, is he? Or is that just an assumption because of planetary foreknowledge etc.?