Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

raggedphoto posted:

My 1947 house here in Oregon is 60amp which is super common for houses with original wiring. Next big project is my dad and I rewiring the house and garage including a 200amp service and all new romex but until then I am good with 8amp charging.

Yeah, 60A was a really common service size in the fuse-box era of wiring (pre-mid-50s or so)

cruft posted:

e: for reference, our EVSE is connected to a 60A breaker, and we don't really need that much going to it in order to charge the Model 3 completely overnight. For you, the equivalent rate would be 30A. I bet you will be perfectly happy at 20A.

How, uh, did you come to that conclusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can lead a goon to a charger but you can’t make them include it when you buy their car

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what will the neighbors think when they see you driving down MANE street?!?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No seriously stop it, the mods are so mad they're shouting themselves hoarse

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

QuarkJets posted:

No seriously stop it, the mods are so mad they're shouting themselves hoarse

It's not like this is their first rodeo.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

You can lead a goon to a charger but you can’t make them include it when you buy their car

:perfect:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Russian Bear posted:

:pusheen:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thread title:

Electric Vehicles mk3: You can lead a goon to a charger but you can’t make them include it when you buy their car

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, 60A was a really common service size in the fuse-box era of wiring (pre-mid-50s or so)

How, uh, did you come to that conclusion?

It was just a wild-rear end guess based on percentages. I bet you're going to tell me I'm foal of it. And I've got to hand it to him, Elviscat has more authority when it comes to electrical stuff.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 26, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Oh poo poo!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1772444422971494838

Be extremely careful around any teslas you see on the road for the next month!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I can't imagine there will be a lot of Tesla owners thinking that this will be the moment they decide to drop $12k on a beta test, but what do I know?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Oh poo poo!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1772444422971494838

Be extremely careful around any teslas you see on the road for the next month!

So that people don't have to open a Twitter link, I presume this is the announcement that everybody gets Tesla's FSD for the next month. When dad bought his Y it looked like they were pushing software upgrades really hard. Clearly somebody has decided that software is a sunk cost and they might be able to make more money on it.

I've been trepidatiously putting Tesla's FSD through its paces for the last few months, and I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the software drives like a 16 year old on a cell phone. On the other hand, so do 16 year olds on cell phones.

In closing, this announcement makes me anxious. Society is just barely able to handle the number of 16 year old cell-phone drivers as it is.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 26, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Tesla’s numbers must look pretty bad this seems like a desperation move

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's going to kill people. But progress must be made so killing people is okay.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Are there any numbers available on the amount of accidents Tesla's FSD has per mile?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

progress? no, profit. profit must be made.

e: wait arent they loving that up too

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
I do wonder if FSD will ever be stable, or if they'll keep stalling with the "next year level 5" horseshit.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Are there any numbers available on the amount of accidents Tesla's FSD has per mile?

I just watched this video a few days ago that cites the following numbers:

quote:

150,000,000 miles driven with FSD
375 FSD miles per Tesla
736 FSD crashes (17 fatalities)

Tesla FSD = 11.3 deaths per 100M miles

Human drivers = 1.35 deaths per 100M miles

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah but doesn't this poo poo turn off right before an impact in an effort to juice the stats

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do those deaths count pedestrians and cyclists the tesla just plows through obliviously

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I think the real stat's is FSD enabled Tesla's are two or three times the fatality rate of other vehicles. The big issue is of course idiots that presume it's magic and completely disregard they have to still pay attention and watch movie or masturbate or whatever the gently caress as their car drives them into a huge crash a half awake dickhead would have seen coming

Or circumvent driver awareness alerts and drive into a truck

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'd never considered masturbating while driving, I assume BMW owners are doing this constantly and that's why they're always swerving all over the road

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think the real stat's is FSD enabled Tesla's are two or three times the fatality rate of other vehicles. The big issue is of course idiots that presume it's magic and completely disregard they have to still pay attention and watch movie or masturbate or whatever the gently caress as their car drives them into a huge crash a half awake dickhead would have seen coming

Or circumvent driver awareness alerts and drive into a truck

I guess the nice(?) thing is that humanity values human life so little that we're able to continue rolling out dangerous poo poo until we get it right (or, if history is a guide, close enough that people worry about something else).

If we actually valued life as much as we claimed to, we would never have strapped a horse to a cart in the first place.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The big issue is of course idiots that presume it's magic and completely disregard they have to still pay attention

I wonder if it being named "full self driving" instead of something like "enhanced driving assist" contributes to people believing it can fully drive itself.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tayter Swift posted:

It's going to kill people. But progress must be made so killing people is okay.

Everything kills people, if you really think about it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

biznatchio posted:

I wonder if it being named "full self driving" instead of something like "enhanced driving assist" contributes to people believing it can fully drive itself.

Surely, no doubt.

Every time I drive down the windy mountain road to my town, the density of colorful pant stripes that have been ground into the concrete barriers reminds me that people will make horribly bad assumptions about their car's capabilities at any given opportunity. Or watching people drive on ice. Or water.

Giving them a misleading name is only going to add to the percentage of people doing dumb poo poo.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I went off in search of some actual statistics about automation causing people do make bad decisions. This should come as a surprise to no one ITT: adaptive cruise is resulting in people driving faster.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/adaptive-cruise-control-spurs-drivers-to-speed

e: and here's another (unsourced, unfortunately) blog post from 10 years prior, suggesting that just plain old cruise control, like the kind from the 1980s, results in people doing more dumb poo poo than they did previously: https://hornlaw.com/blog/2013/11/cruise-control-speed-limiters-affect-driver-concentration/

ee: Here's the 2011 study the blog post is probably referring to: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21376911/

In closing: people are not particularly good at evaluating risk.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 26, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The one freeway in town is way too busy most of the time to use adaptive cruise so I never use mine, but I hear the volvo one is very good with the lane keeping too. I sometimes feel a little tug on the wheel but it's pretty seamless.

I drove a rental kia optima a while back and that had the most obnoxious lane keeping, I don't know if more cars are like that but it was brutal just yoinking the wheel all over.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm an rear end in a top hat in that regard. I love setting ACC to precisely the speed limit and taking the second lane from left. Folks who want to go faster are free to pass me; I've got good music on and want to get there chill and safe.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Polestar 2 adaptive cruise in heavy traffic works pretty well if you, somewhat counterintuitively, increase the follow distance. When you do that, it's nice and smooth. If you keep the follow distance close, it's absulutely awful.
My biggest issue with all the self driving stuff is there's no look-ahead. No anticipation, just reaction. Can it react faster than a human? Probably. Can it gauge the radius of an upcoming turn and adjust speed and steering angle so it can follow a smooth line instead of PS1 polygoning it? No. Can it see that there's an RV up ahead that's going to take the next corner a lot slower than you might, and slow down in advance, instead of throwing on the binders mid corner when it suddenly senses a slow moving vehicle in its vision? No. Yes it might react with the brakes sooner than a human, but if it could look ahead and anticipate, it wouldn't have to.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

It was just a wild-rear end guess based on percentages. I bet you're going to tell me I'm foal of it. And I've got to hand it to him, Elviscat has more authority when it comes to electrical stuff.

UK services are single phase, not split-phase like US services, there's no higher phase-phase voltage, so 30A @ 240V = 30A @ 240V = 7200W.

UK services are tiny! There's also a lit of other weird poo poo about them, like ring circuits, and moving OC protection to the outlet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat in that regard. I love setting ACC to precisely the speed limit and taking the second lane from left. Folks who want to go faster are free to pass me; I've got good music on and want to get there chill and safe.

Dont see this being an rear end in a top hat, but YMMV

quote:

I went off in search of some actual statistics about automation causing people do make bad decisions. This should come as a surprise to no one ITT: adaptive cruise is resulting in people driving faster.

Not me, Lemme set the ACC for my preferred speed and let me cruuuuuuise without worrying some Commonwealth Word is going to ruin my day.

Heavy traffic is where I get stressed and feeling I Dont Want To Be Here :(

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

cruft posted:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/adaptive-cruise-control-spurs-drivers-to-speed

e: and here's another (unsourced, unfortunately) blog post from 10 years prior, suggesting that just plain old cruise control, like the kind from the 1980s, results in people doing more dumb poo poo than they did previously: https://hornlaw.com/blog/2013/11/cruise-control-speed-limiters-affect-driver-concentration/

ee: Here's the 2011 study the blog post is probably referring to: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21376911/

In closing: people are not particularly good at evaluating risk.

I think the root of the problem is that any driving "aid" which allows or encourages people to pay less attention to the road by assuming part of the responsibility for operating the vehicle is a bad thing despite whatever convenience it might offer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

moving OC protection to the outlet.

Do you happen to know if that 60A main breaker would be expected to nominally carry a full 60A load, as opposed to the 80% thing used by NEMA?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I feel I have to be on guard too much in the highway to engage ACC - although now I can just go sit in the HOV lane because I have my low emissions sticker so get my own exit lane when going to work and it rules.

I should try the ACC on there and see how it goes. I just worry someone merging in too close in front of me will freak it out. It shouldn't!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

Do you happen to know if that 60A main breaker would be expected to nominally carry a full 60A load, as opposed to the 80% thing used by NEMA?

Nope! I don't know if they have the .8 derate for continuous loads, but that's almost never a factor in residential wiring, with EVSEs being a notable exception.

Unrelated here's a cool article from someone messing around with Naion cells. .

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hopefully we can make the next generation of Leafs, Souls, etc much cheaper with these. Good enough performance for the majority of people.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

cruft posted:

It will pass 60A for 'a while' but it's hard to say how long it would take to trip.

There are multiple classes of breakers and they have different time-current-curves,

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...tc01200002e.pdf

FWIW, I've seen people claiming that the type of breaker that you're likely to find in a residential box will pass its maximum rated current for about 3 hours before tripping.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

HawkHill posted:

It will pass 60A for 'a while' but it's hard to say how long it would take to trip.

There are multiple classes of breakers and they have different time-current-curves,

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...tc01200002e.pdf

FWIW, I've seen people claiming that the type of breaker that you're likely to find in a residential box will pass its maximum rated current for about 3 hours before tripping.

These look like North American products by the mention of NEMA, UL, CSA, and the voltages. Does this apply to UK products too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Oh so there are cheap ones already, that's a good sign!