Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

El Grillo posted:

I mean the old car is 100% going to be scrapped by Tesla and I would be surprised if the mats ended up anywhere except landfill, so vOv I don't like stuff getting thrown away if there's an obvious use for it. And I'm not massively loaded so money is still an object. Figured I would ask the question for those model 3 owners in here.

Anyhow it's a long range model 3 so maybe that means it will come with mats anyway I guess.

Yeah, I think the overwhelming consensus is that you should try the floor mats in your new car and then throw them out if they don't work well; I thought people were ribbing you for not just doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I actually saw a fisker ocean on the highway today. Had ro do a double take and let it pass to be sure. Pretty decent looking SUV but I’d be nervous to own one if they don’t stick around for a few years.

E: Pretty sure it was brand new too as it had a paper license plate

I saw a fisker ocean in town and it looked kinda neat. Then I read this news and lol’d: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/13/business/fisker-stock-dives-on-bankruptcy-report

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Speaking of Tesla quality, mine has now thrown an alert twice about a month apart saying "Powertrain requires service" and the specific code dif_a149 seems to indicate an oil pump fault. A glance at the scan my tesla app shows flow on both the front and rear pumps, but the rear pump seems to stay on more and has a consistently higher flow rate, so I wonder if the front pump is acting up. I would brush off one instance of an error or alarm that then clears on a subsequent drive, but the same one happening twice within a month is enough to require further investigation.

Guess I'll schedule a service for it and get a whole bunch of other stuff I've been procrastinating on done while I'm at it. It still has that rear camera wire harness recall pending, I see CCS retrofit is an option now, and some other routine maintenance probably wouldn't be a bad idea (clean and lubricate the brakes, check brake fluid, change cabin air filter, etc). I just wonder how long all that will take and if they will give me a loaner if it is going to take more than a day...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

At least it's throwing a fault, and not just shutting down on the freeway randomly!

TheFluff posted:

Battery tech stuff: apparently you can just buy sodium ion 18650's on Aliexpress now? Feels like they've been "coming soon" for years now but finally it's an actual product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6zcI1GrkK4

Energy density seems on par with LFP/LiFePO4. The voltage range is bigger than any lithium chemistry which might be inconvenient in some applications but maybe not in EV's? The big advantages are no conflict minerals or rare earth metals at all and a lot more stable and less fire prone than lithium. You can also charge them down to -10C which is better than what LFP can do, and maybe they'll survive more charge cycles? Right now they're expensive but hopefully within a few years we'll see this scaled up.

I think BYD is already producing a car with sodium ion batteries. Everything about the chemistry sounds good, except maybe a little lower energy density than LiIon, charging curves and lifetime are supposed to be better, hopefully we'll see them in EVs soon. If they're scaleable and end up being as cheap to produce in terms of labor as Lithium, they'll be a game changer for static energy storage installations, which will give wind and solar a big boost.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I actually saw a fisker ocean on the highway today. Had ro do a double take and let it pass to be sure. Pretty decent looking SUV but I’d be nervous to own one if they don’t stick around for a few years.

E: Pretty sure it was brand new too as it had a paper license plate

Oddly I've been seeing them around a lot lately. There's even one hiding in the background of one of my Lyriq pics!

Speaking of the Lyriq, even though it does have carplay, the built-in infotainment is really good to the point I don't use it.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 25, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I thought the advantage of sodium batteries was that they're also cheap to produce, thus reducing production cost of the electric cars on larger scale. Do we need to wait for the manufacturing to scale up?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The constituent ingredients are way cheaper, but I don't think anyone's really mass-producing them yet.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah what Elviscat said. They're not a drop-in replacement for lithium cells, primarily because of the weird voltage curve.

An LFP cell usually has a safe voltage range of 2.5V to 3.65V, but the voltage curve has "cliffs" on both ends so something like 90-95% of the useful capacity of the battery is in the 3.0-3.5V range or so. For a lot of non-EV applications what you want is a nominal 12, 24, 36 or 48 V battery, and LFP can easily do this. For example, if you hook up 4 LFP cells in series you get a battery with a voltage range of 10.0-14.6V which is compatible with most nominal 12V stuff (especially automotive things which are designed for lead-acid batteries). You can also trim avoid using the extremes of the voltage curve without losing much capacity, if you need a smaller voltage swing.

Sodium ion batteries on the other hand have a mostly linear voltage curve and if you want to get the full capacity of the battery you need to use a voltage range of like 2.0 to 4.0V. Apparently you can discharge these things almost down to 0 without any ill effects but it's mostly pointless because there's practically no capacity below 2V. Either way a battery that doubles is voltage from empty to full is kind of impractical in many applications and you might need a voltage regulator to deal with it. It might be a year or three before we're seeing large scale applications in the wild.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fortunately that shouldn't matter much for EVs or large scale power storage, since those are married to large IGBT based inverters that have built-in voltage buck/boost capability.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Nice. Dealer or leasing agent?

Dealer.

There's technically a 0 down $239/mo ioniq 6 lease deal available until end of month, but there basically none in my area. That would have been a smoking deal. The form factor of the ioniq5 works better for my city driving use case, it's actually a pretty compact vehicle.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

extravadanza posted:

Dealer.

There's technically a 0 down $239/mo ioniq 6 lease deal available until end of month, but there basically none in my area. That would have been a smoking deal. The form factor of the ioniq5 works better for my city driving use case, it's actually a pretty compact vehicle.

That is a sweet deal. I may have to call around

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jimong5 posted:

Living in the Midwest, custom all weathers are almost a requirement if you don’t want your car smelling super musty. I got mine for the Y from Amazon that fit nice and were cheaper than the oem mats. The Bolt has GM all weathers that came with the car but don’t have the best coverage.

I got 3D Maxspider matts for my Bolt and they are the best matts I've ever had. Completely worth it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TheFluff posted:

Right now they're expensive but hopefully within a few years we'll see this scaled up.

I've heard this before.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Three Olives posted:

You joke but I actually really regret not keeping the EVSE. I offered it, Carvana didn't request it and when they listed the car, it wasn't listed with the EVSE. I basically gave it to them for free, they pocketed it and didn't pass it on the the next owner.

Three Olives posted:

They listed and photographed the tire inflation kit that my car didn’t come with when I bought it used in the compartment where the mobile EVSE is supposed to be stored.

Also, the mobile EVSE the car came with broke, if I had already installed my home EVSE, I certainly would have not paid to replace it. Also a lot of electric cars today no longer include EVSEs of any type.

Three Olives posted:

It needed 4 new tires, I didn’t replace them on purpose. It’s business.

It's incredible how salty you are about a charger.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

I mean, we just spent 2+ pages shitposting about floor mats. We're hardly solving global warming in here.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Steakandchips posted:

It's not a charger. :colbert:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cruft posted:

I mean, we just spent 2+ pages shitposting about floor mats. We're hardly solving global warming in here.

Correct.

Three Olives posted:

It's not a charger. :colbert:

What

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

The stuff that people use to connect their car to electrical power, colloquially referred to as a charger, is basically nothing more than a sort of smart extension cord. The term of art is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment or EVSE, as the actual charging equipment is built into the car (unless of course you’re using a DC fast charger).

tl;dr: people on the internet like to be pedantic fuckwits

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

borkencode posted:

The stuff that people use to connect their car to electrical power, colloquially referred to as a charger, is basically nothing more than a sort of smart extension cord. The term of art is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment or EVSE, as the actual charging equipment is built into the car (unless of course you’re using a DC fast charger).

If you're going to explain poo poo explain it right instead of whatever this post is. A charger is a car made by dodge.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

borkencode posted:

I'm still going to call it a charger.

Nov 6, 2002

A phone charger isn't actually the source of power either but we still call it a charger.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

A phone charger isn't actually the source of power either but we still call it a charger.

We call it a Mobile Device Supply Equipment, or MDSE. HTH, IPS.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Got a charger installed today. Apparently our house has a 60 amp main fuse and the charger can draw up to 30a. The electrician freaked my partner out by talking about blowing the thing by having the charger on whilst other appliances are in use. Is this likely to be a thing? I would think the only significant other draws are the dryer and maybe the dishwasher. Though looking online I see some dryers can draw up to 30a as well so, perhaps that could indeed be an issue. We don't have an induction hob or any other high power appliances that I can think of.

Seems like we can easily limit the charger to lower power, 28a or 20a and so on, so realistically I guess it's unlikely to be a problem unless we're complete idiots about it. Am still curious about what it would take though. I'm guessing in general if your house's mains line is rated to 60a you don't really want to be getting near that number anyway.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't think I've ever seen the house with 60 amp main supply, that's just dirty. Is it a trailer?

But you can set your car to charge at night, when you're not using your range or the dryer.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

60a is not a lot at all. If you're charging overnight it could be perfectly fine, though, as long as you're not running that laundry then.

A lot of EVSEs are adjustable, either in hardware settings or via an app. Fancier models can self-adjust in response to live household demand.

You can also likely tell your car to adjust how much it pulls. Probably check these things first. Keep in mind that an L2 charger is also pulling at 240v instead of 120v.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 25, 2024

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

In the UK, old houses with 60A fuses need to be upgraded to 100A before they let you do a charger install.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Nah it's a smallish three bedroom lol, just built in the 60s or 70s I guess as council housing in the UK, could well be typical power rating for this kind of property in that era for all I know. I wouldn't be surprised if the equivalent in the USA would be very different, I imagine electric appliances were far more ubiquitous than over here even at that time.

Steakandchips posted:

In the UK, old houses with 60A fuses need to be upgraded to 100A before they let you do a charger install.
Uh.... news to us, lol

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, you're in the UK. 60A in the UK would be around the same as a 120A breaker in the US. I've never heard of under 100A in the states, which is what our house had until we upgraded it to 200A at PHENOMENAL EXPENSE.

If somebody wired me up this way, I'd be a little confused about how they got away with it, but then I'd just monitor what I could do while the car was charging. I expect you'll wind up dialing down the draw on the car a tad, and it won't be a big deal.

You don't want to get into a situation where you're relying on the breaker to trip to let you know you're drawing too much, because one day the breaker may not trip, and then you've got a serious problem.

e: for reference, our EVSE is connected to a 60A breaker, and we don't really need that much going to it in order to charge the Model 3 completely overnight. For you, the equivalent rate would be 30A. I bet you will be perfectly happy at 20A.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 25, 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cruft posted:

I've never heard of under 100A in the states, which is what our house had until we upgraded it to 200A at PHENOMENAL EXPENSE.

<100 isn't uncommon in older houses that primarily use gas for various heat-related functions.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Nah it's a smallish three bedroom lol, just built in the 60s or 70s I guess as council housing in the UK, could well be typical power rating for this kind of property in that era for all I know. I wouldn't be surprised if the equivalent in the USA would be very different, I imagine electric appliances were far more ubiquitous than over here even at that time.

Uh.... news to us, lol

Ah. Sorry. "Likely", not "mandatory"

https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/support-centre/electric-vehicle-home-charger

"A 7kWh charger will add 32 amps to your property’s electrical load when being used at full capacity, so if you have a main fuse that is rated at 60 or 80 amps it is likely the DNO will want to change this to a 100-amp fuse."

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ah the DNO right. I have seen stuff about that online. Apparently the electrician is meant to notify them if it's a case where they should be notified? But I'm not exactly 100% confident this electrician will. I'll ask when he sends through the invoice. Thanks for the heads up!

Now just need to switch to Octopus before vehicle delivery on Thursday and get the intelligent tariff stuff set up.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cruft posted:

Oh, you're in the UK. 60A in the UK would be around the same as a 120A breaker in the US. I've never heard of under 100A in the states, which is what our house had until we upgraded it to 200A at PHENOMENAL EXPENSE.

If somebody wired me up this way, I'd be a little confused about how they got away with it, but then I'd just monitor what I could do while the car was charging. I expect you'll wind up dialing down the draw on the car a tad, and it won't be a big deal.

You don't want to get into a situation where you're relying on the breaker to trip to let you know you're drawing too much, because one day the breaker may not trip, and then you've got a serious problem.

e: for reference, our EVSE is connected to a 60A breaker, and we don't really need that much going to it in order to charge the Model 3 completely overnight. For you, the equivalent rate would be 30A. I bet you will be perfectly happy at 20A.

We have 240v as standard, so we don't need 200A.

I've run 7kw off of the charger twice now, for EV car friends who have visited, while other poo poo was on in the house no problem.

My EV motorcycle only draws 1.5kw!

El Grillo posted:

Ah the DNO right. I have seen stuff about that online. Apparently the electrician is meant to notify them if it's a case where they should be notified? But I'm not exactly 100% confident this electrician will. I'll ask when he sends through the invoice. Thanks for the heads up!

Now just need to switch to Octopus before vehicle delivery on Thursday and get the intelligent tariff stuff set up.

It takes time to switch energy provider, you're not getting Octopus Agile/Go in 3 days.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

If you're going to explain poo poo explain it right instead of whatever this post is. A charger is a car made by dodge.

:actually: its an Arabian Horse

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

:actually: its an Arabian Horse

Dodge charger uses many horses to power it.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
My 1947 house here in Oregon is 60amp which is super common for houses with original wiring. Next big project is my dad and I rewiring the house and garage including a 200amp service and all new romex but until then I am good with 8amp charging.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Dodge charger uses many horses to power it.

The charger isnt the source of the horses

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If I have to reign in horse jokes I'm gonna go on a gallop with sixxers for everyone jockeying them into the conversation

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
All opposed to horse jokes say neigh.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

seems like a reasonable equest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Some goons can't help but stirrup trouble.