Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hate the hat, but I also just hate hats. I'm so glad Baldur's Gate 3 lets you wear-but-not-wear headgear.

I would've liked that in some previous runs -- for most of my previous playthroughs I wore the panning pan as a hat and suffered through how dumb I looked by the power of optimizing inventory slot use, but not this time. this time I'm going to find the coolest hat and wear it, optimization be damned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Honestly, I tend to have ancient fruit corner, then whatever mixed seeds I have for fun randomness. These flower seeds are good.

Alternatively, do one of each of the new seasonal crops. Like at least the summer squash and broccoli are repeatable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This might be a stupid question but is there something like a dedicated server for this that I could run and friends could play on regardless of whether I'm on at the time? I found this Multiplayer Docker thing that sounds like maybe the closest I'll get to that where it auto-starts I guess an instance of the game when my friends connect to it. This probably doesn't exist because something like this wouldn't really work in SDV but figured I'd ask if it's been done before.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

Anyone got some nice greenhouse layouts that aren't just pure value-based (aka not just ancient fruits?). I would like to use my greenhouse for at least a bit of variety. I was planning on one iridium sprinkler patch of Ancient Fruit so that there is some good money, but devoting the rest to a variety, including some trellises to have year-round Grapes.

It’s still this:

Plant whatever trees you want and whatever crops you want.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I generally do half-coffee, half-ancient fruit and by the time I don't need as much coffee I have a ton of ancient fruit and coffee growing on the island. Besides a good gift for most non-kids, coffee also is good for the Qi cooking quest as the espressos count as cooked food

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Is it worth getting a few animals just for cooking ingredients? I was planning on skipping them entirely, but I certainly have the space.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

Is it worth getting a few animals just for cooking ingredients? I was planning on skipping them entirely, but I certainly have the space.

I mean, cooking is kind of pointless past Sashimi and Coffee in many ways (though Pepper Poppers are popular too and I used Crab Cakes for Skull Cavern)

They do produce a good amount of money, if that is a concern. For relatively low player-time cost.

To a new player I'd say "Try a bit of everything. There's a fun cheevo for shipping one of everything anyway."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Solumin posted:

Absolutely. Cheese and mayo are used in a few recipes, with cheese being the most important as you need it for Pepper Poppers, the greatest food in existence.

Doesn't matter if its goat or cow cheese, although using goad cheese isn't better in anyway as far as I know. Same for duck egg vs. chicken egg.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Solumin posted:

Depending on your bundle needs, you're gonna need animals anyways if you don't want to rely on the Traveling Cart (Animal Bundle, Truffle Oil, etc). Stacks of gold quality cheese are also nice as a standard food for the mines in terms of Energy/Health restore, and one barn with a few cows will make plenty. Once you get the Deluxe buildings and Autograbbers, there isn't much effort involved for a very good income stream that persists over winter as well.

As for cooking, the notables are:

Pepper Poppers (+speed). Spicy Eel is better for the +Luck, but needs a steady source of Eels.
Pumpkin Soup (+Luck and +Speed)
Miners Treat (+Mining +Magnetism)
Lobster Bisque (+Fishing), though there are a lot of non-farm animal options for this
Crab Cakes (+speed + defense)
Banana Pudding (+speed +luck +defense)

Since you find Crab Cakes and Spicy Eels in the desert mine pretty often, you can get some of those without worrying about farm animals.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
For spicy eel, just put a ruby in a crystalarium and exchange them with the desert trader. Do the same with jade for staircases (Sunday only)

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Poque posted:

For spicy eel, just put a ruby in a crystalarium and exchange them with the desert trader. Do the same with jade for staircases (Sunday only)

This is what I do.

Get a shed full of crystalariums that produce diamonds and rubies which you can exchange for espressos and spicy eel at the desert trader. Then you never have to worry about running slow ever again.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

You could also throw an eel in a fish pond and fish out the excess as they repopulate. Slow, but an option.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I just kill the spicy boys in the Skull Caverns for all my Spicy Eel needs.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Let’s say I wanted to dip a toe into automation late game. Does the Automate mod harvest berries from contiguous patches of ground? From pots indoors? Can it collect/restock Preserves Jars if I just dump a stack of fruit in an adjacent chest? Will it automatically collect from the crystallaria?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
e: I may have been wrong

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Grundulum posted:

Let’s say I wanted to dip a toe into automation late game. Does the Automate mod harvest berries from contiguous patches of ground? From pots indoors? Can it collect/restock Preserves Jars if I just dump a stack of fruit in an adjacent chest? Will it automatically collect from the crystallaria?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Automate is great.

For the trees/bushes, you might need to use paths to connect the tree/bush to the chest. By default, a couple of paths are coded to connect with Automate. On mine it's Wood Path and a couple of others. You can change this in the Config file if you want to. Press the U key, and the game highlights things that are connected with Automate, if you need to check your work.

For instance, on the Island Farm, I had a double row of Bee Houses with Fairy Roses in the middle with a Deluxe Sprinkler. I connected them with paths, put down a chest, and a mini-shipping bin. I also had some mango and banana trees nearby, with Preserves Jars touching them, also connected by paths to the Bee Houses/Mini Shipping bin.

The result was weekly cash injection of Fairy Rose Honey and fruit preserves without me having to do a goddamn thing.

I also stuck Tea Bushes in Garden Pots in my house, with some Kegs and a chest next to them. Low effort tea.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s still this:

Plant whatever trees you want and whatever crops you want.

I guess if you're some kind of freak who has no issue having an asymmetrical layout, sure.

You can also shift the Iridium Sprinklers a tile to the left and use your leftover quality sprinklers to look after the left/rightmost columns.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Leal posted:

2 chickens at the start aint no yolkjoke, they really help in getting seed money at the start.

chickens have been known to make a buck or two

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

all purple everything :c00l:

Governor's hat, best new addition.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cyflan posted:

Automate makes crab pots much less annoying, too, especially if used with non-destructive NPCs.

Oh yeah, I've switched from pepper poppers to crab cakes now that I can maintain a steady stream of easy crabs.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

wyoming posted:

all purple everything :c00l:

Governor's hat, best new addition.

Wonder what would happen if you put that in the stew. Seems like something I need to find out!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cyflan posted:

Automate makes crab pots much less annoying, too, especially if used with non-destructive NPCs.

How do you make this work? There’s a tile gap between my chest and crab pots and obviously I can’t put a path in the surf.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

robot roll call posted:

chickens have been known to make a buck or two

This pun caused me to look twice at your post and your username is bringing me joy

I think I will go big on bees this time. I've modded in the Cornucopia flowers. Gonna have beehives surrounded by flowers. Not optimised gamewise, that feels unrealistic and ugly to me. Big patches of flowers, and bees in the middle. Nice.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you stagger the growth times or planting times you can even use this to keep an active flower near your hives while still harvesting the flowers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gully Foyle posted:

Anyone got some nice greenhouse layouts that aren't just pure value-based (aka not just ancient fruits?). I would like to use my greenhouse for at least a bit of variety. I was planning on one iridium sprinkler patch of Ancient Fruit so that there is some good money, but devoting the rest to a variety, including some trellises to have year-round Grapes.

You can plant Trees on the edges.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That sprinkler layout makes me sick

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Zesty posted:

You can plant Trees on the edges.

it's..beautiful

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

That sprinkler layout makes me sick

Maths (Topology?) is evil.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

and it could be even more efficient with the Qi nozzles! Then you'd only need a single sprinkler in the middle.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

This is violence.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's kinda refreshing to see so many people who have never visited the stardew wiki!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
do it with regular sprinklers. become ungovernable. and unharvestable

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

probably worth noting that if you are planting multi harvest crops, deluxe retaining soil in the greenhouse will never dry up unless the plant is removed from the tile.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hopeandjoy posted:

How do you make this work? There’s a tile gap between my chest and crab pots and obviously I can’t put a path in the surf.

Use the docks. Daisy chain crab pots from the docks and connect them out to the surf. As long as the crab pots are touching, they'll continue the chain.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's kinda refreshing to see so many people who have never visited the stardew wiki!

I actually didn't know there was a 5-sprinkler setup for nozzles. The way I had it set up used 5 iridium and 2 quality in the corners. Maybe that would still work if you only wanted 4 sets of nozzles though and still only wanted to occupy one space.

It's true about Quality Retaining Soil though. I just never think about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The gods have blessed my new playthrough by having a book fall out of a tree that has a chance to double wood drops

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I got the 0.01% monster compendium drop on like day 10 and it rules because the double loot chance applies to all monster drops, including coal from dust sprites.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tylana posted:

If you stagger the growth times or planting times you can even use this to keep an active flower near your hives while still harvesting the flowers.

the real pro island honey strat is to plant flowers in the golden walnut digging spots, since they're a single tile of tillable soil with nothing else in range

At least the one immediately north of the farm is perfect for apiaries, dunno if the ones on the beach or near the slime grove are any good

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In my 1.6 playthrough I had 3 meteors crash on my farm by midsummer. It's nearly spring and I can finally mine them and now I kinda don't want to. The one looks nice in my animal pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Sydin posted:

I got the 0.01% monster compendium drop on like day 10 and it rules because the double loot chance applies to all monster drops, including coal from dust sprites.

Does this stack with Burglar Ring? I still have no idea what's really going on in 1.6.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

the real pro island honey strat is to plant flowers in the golden walnut digging spots, since they're a single tile of tillable soil with nothing else in range

At least the one immediately north of the farm is perfect for apiaries, dunno if the ones on the beach or near the slime grove are any good

I always put fruit trees in those but that's a solid idea. I never considered beehives on the island. There's some soil that can't accept trees that I might try with this.