Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Man. Only in summer 1 and I'm considering restarting to add SVE. Not yet! I am going to play to see the new things. If I add SVE now I will bog down. I know myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Solumin posted:

Do it. Relive the fun of the early game. What will you do instead? Forest farm, maybe? The new Meadowlands farm?

Yeah I'm thinking meadows. I like how the untillable grass cuts the farm in half. On top of that, with the ponds on the southwest they could be a natural fence for animals. I was thinking something like this

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Can you add ridgecrest or whatever the other one that adds a separate area is to an existing save? Or do you have to have a new file?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I never played this co-op before, if we're modding do we both just need the same mods or are some only for the host?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zesty posted:

I didn't notice anyone getting to you. You can set new keys and make it work with a controller. Check out the mod page.

Here's my config values. I'm pretty sure the only relevant values are the first two.

code:
{
  "Controls": {
    "ToggleLookup": "LeftStick",
    "ToggleSearch": "F1",
    "ScrollUp": "Up",
    "ScrollDown": "Down",
    "PageUp": "PageUp",
    "PageDown": "PageDown",
    "ToggleDebug": "None"
  },
  "ProgressionMode": false,
  "HighlightUnrevealedGiftTastes": false,
  "ShowGiftTastes": {
    "Loved": true,
    "Liked": true,
    "Neutral": false,
    "Disliked": false,
    "Hated": false
  },
  "ShowUnownedGifts": true,
  "HideOnKeyUp": false,
  "EnableTargetRedirection": true,
  "EnableTileLookups": false,
  "ForceFullScreen": false,
  "ScrollAmount": 160,
  "ShowDataMiningFields": false
}

That was it, thank you! Guess I had to set the button to a gamepad button to turn on that functionality, instead of binding a gamepad button to F1.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Zesty posted:

Fishing is weird in co-op. By default time doesn't pause, so you get a whole lot less done for your time. So if we remove the minigame, that fixes that, but then it's just a little too trivial.

My partner also can't do the minigame due to a disability, so we have to turn it off for her anyway. I wish the skip mods worked better for a mixed co-op of people who want it vs not.

can you change the timescale in MP so days are twice as long or something like that

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

I never played this co-op before, if we're modding do we both just need the same mods or are some only for the host?

I don't know the technically correct answer, but when my wife and I played using the internet, I just installed the exact same mods (and mod versions) on both host and client and it just worked, so :shrug:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 26, 2024

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Leal posted:

Yeah I'm thinking meadows. I like how the untillable grass cuts the farm in half. On top of that, with the ponds on the southwest they could be a natural fence for animals. I was thinking something like this

Meadowlands feels like a nice happy medium between varied terrain and ease of getting around/managing layout. I've ended up with a somewhat similar scheme, the open area right in front of your house is plenty for crops and the bigger area to the southwest makes for natural grazing land.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

oh my god the new weather event. This is amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BTW, if you didn't know: When you're fishing, click the bubble. Then raise and lower the bar by pressing C repeatedly. You have much finer control than if using a mouse. You still have to deal with latency issues, but at least you know where you are.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
You don't have to click the bubble, you can click anywhere. You can also cast and hook with C too, I think?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mederlock posted:

I don't know the technically correct answer, but when my wife and I played using the internet, I just installed the exact same mods (and mod versions) on both host and client and it just worked, so :shrug:

Thanks!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Verviticus posted:

can you change the timescale in MP so days are twice as long or something like that

It's not the effect we're looking for. But appreciate you trying to come up with a solution.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
well it was also an actual question, i havent fired this game up in like years and i dont recall it having timescales when i played it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mederlock posted:

It brpadly depends on the mod. Anything with gameplay (eg; Tractor) need to be on all clients or it'll get upset fot anyone who doesn't have it as they can't load what the game's trying to tell it to. UI mods or cheats are agnostic.

I know the hard way that Cuter Animals needs to be on all clients, or your game will poo poo itself trying to load animals that don't exist for you.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Can you add ridgecrest or whatever the other one that adds a separate area is to an existing save? Or do you have to have a new file?

I know you can do Ridgeside on an existing save. East Scarp should be fine, too, but I don't know for 100% certain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Found a party hat in an artifact spot. Dog looks amazing.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Verviticus posted:

well it was also an actual question, i havent fired this game up in like years and i dont recall it having timescales when i played it

The chat mod let's you. Not by default. Only real built in pace control is the sell value adjuster.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

YOU CAN MOVE THE GREENHOUSE!?

gently caress me I always assumed it was fixed

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hellioning posted:

I know you can do Ridgeside on an existing save. East Scarp should be fine, too, but I don't know for 100% certain.

It'd be weird for East Scarp to not work given the nature of the mod.

Wafflecopper posted:

It was added to the 1.5 update.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Wafflecopper posted:

Added in 1.5.

What was added in 1.6 is gonna blow your mind, you can move your house.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's going to be so satisfying when I get started on this playthrough.

Smash that house right up against the exit.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 26, 2024

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Leal posted:

Good plan!

I'm doing a beach farm right now, and I'm definitely going to move the greenhouse much closer to the house. I'm just finishing up Summer and things are going really well!

Except I missed Willy's birthday :( I had saved him a gold-star sturgeon, but I completely forgot his birthday due to everything that happens at the end of summer.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Hellioning posted:

Should be fine. If the mods just add new NPCs and/or maps, there shouldn't be any real issues, but if they change existing maps, that might cause problems.

Like the Expanded mod would definitely cause issues if you add it to an existing save.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
One unexpected benefit of finally installing Automate is that it's let me have a much more balanced farm. Previously I would usually tend towards an ancient fruit monoculture vineyard just because that was the highest profit to busy work ratio, and I'd only keep a handful of animals to provide cooking and gifting materials. But when you don't have to load a bunch of processing machines every single day it's a lot less annoying, now I can just pop in in the morning, say hi to everyone, and grab whatever finished products are sitting in the chest by the door.

So now in addition to the ancient fruit wine pipeline I've got a nice big animal herd and a wider variety of crops and products, all mostly managing themselves.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One unexpected benefit of finally installing Automate is that it's let me have a much more balanced farm. Previously I would usually tend towards an ancient fruit monoculture vineyard just because that was the highest profit to busy work ratio, and I'd only keep a handful of animals to provide cooking and gifting materials. But when you don't have to load a bunch of processing machines every single day it's a lot less annoying, now I can just pop in in the morning, say hi to everyone, and grab whatever finished products are sitting in the chest by the door.

So now in addition to the ancient fruit wine pipeline I've got a nice big animal herd and a wider variety of crops and products, all mostly managing themselves.

Automate makes crab pots much less annoying, too, especially if used with non-destructive NPCs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cyflan posted:

Automate makes crab pots much less annoying, too, especially if used with non-destructive NPCs.

1.6 makes it so they just push the chest out of the way instead of destroying it. It would still be necessary to avoid breaking automate though I suppose

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

HopperUK posted:

Found a party hat in an artifact spot. Dog looks amazing.

My dog wears a spaceman helmet. And I got a cat just so it could wear a joker hat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^^^hats on my animals is A+, though.

Psion posted:

Go down to hat mouse's on Spring 17, look at the waterfall on the bottom edge of the map

there's a rainbow and a pot of gold with 200g and also, more importantly, a free hat

I found this totally by accident, not realizing it's a specific, one day a year event (though I realize now why that is). I loved it.

I hate the hat, but I also just hate hats. I'm so glad Baldur's Gate 3 lets you wear-but-not-wear headgear.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Found a neat little mod that makes tool usage a little less finicky on mouse and keyboard: Flexible Arms

It increases the range a little bit and lets you use tools under your character, making the whole thing feel a lot better.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
2 chickens at the start aint no yolkjoke, they really help in getting seed money at the start.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You crossed out yolk, but kept the seed money pun? :D

I also like a relatively contained amount of farmland at the start. If I upgrade my watering can it's feasible to keep up with (also remixed bundles often reduces reliance on crops).

Kind of the same reason I like the beach farm. For the standard farm I might get stuck in an infinite sprinkler expansion loop.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

I always burn out on the standard farm despite having big plans for elaborate setups thanks to the sprinkler loops and usually doing small scale farming with a lot of things in the greenhouse :3:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone got some nice greenhouse layouts that aren't just pure value-based (aka not just ancient fruits?). I would like to use my greenhouse for at least a bit of variety. I was planning on one iridium sprinkler patch of Ancient Fruit so that there is some good money, but devoting the rest to a variety, including some trellises to have year-round Grapes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Sprinkle in some of the dozens of Mixed Flower Seeds you'll come across.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Gully Foyle posted:

Anyone got some nice greenhouse layouts that aren't just pure value-based (aka not just ancient fruits?). I would like to use my greenhouse for at least a bit of variety. I was planning on one iridium sprinkler patch of Ancient Fruit so that there is some good money, but devoting the rest to a variety, including some trellises to have year-round Grapes.

Do four quadrants with rows of repeat harvest crops and high value single harvest crops from each season, and reserve the 4th quadrant for your Ancient fruit?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I always like to have a couple Hot Pepper plants in the greenhouse. Pepper Poppers 24/7/365112

TurnipFritter posted:

Also Coffee Plants, so can chug a Triple Shot Espresso with your Pepper Poppers after reading both Way of the Wind Books.

This too!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 26, 2024

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Also Coffee Plants, so can chug a Triple Shot Espresso with your Pepper Poppers after reading both Way of the Wind Books.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Gully Foyle posted:

I like doing a column of each single plant/ continual growth that I like and 1-3 columns of ancient to make it a low maintenance but pretty vertical stripe pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
e: quote isn't edit