Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AJ_Impy posted:

Don't get too attached.

I mean he might die but we don’t have to want him dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hi! Gladiator here, sorry for not checking in until now! I'm going to look over the map after I eat dinner and I'll have orders in a few hours at the most.

e: Orders are in, moving to 1734.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 23, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Foo posted:

I mean he might die but we don’t have to want him dead

My thinking. He's at least working to learn, and to put in effort. That puts him way above the failson level by far.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Frozen Assets: Turn 1

A sudden flash of blue light split the horizon as Yukiko discharged her Shadow Hawk’s PPC at one of the meteorological station’s gun emplacements. The boiling lance of charged particles streaked across the sky, but the distance was too great, and the beam’s energy bled away into nothingness long before it reached its target. A flurry of LRMs also fell short, individual missiles gradually dropping or veering off-course as their guidance systems failed. A second volley of LRMs from Etienne’s Griffin managed to go slightly further, with a few warheads striking the storm wall directly below the turret, but again, none actually managed to hit their target.

The Silver Phantoms reacted with professional swiftness. The Manticore lurched forwards, shards of ice falling from its treads and snowy vapour streaming from its chassis as its fusion engine forced it into motion. The tank was quickly joined by a pair of battlemechs that raced out of the facility and began ploughing through the snow.

“Enemy forces inbound. Looks like a Phoenix Hawk and a Hermes II. Manticore’s coming down too.” Alexander reported calmly. The mechs’ mostly grey paintwork made them tricky to identify visually, but their engines’ heat signatures and relative speeds were enough for him to make an informed guess.

“A couple of scouts and a tank?” Charles scoffed. “I think they might be taking us a bit too lightly!”

“They’re probably going for a flank-and-spank,” said Jenna. “Send out their most mobile units to harass and skirmish on the wings, then swing around behind once we try to push past them. Don’t underestimate the Manticore either. It’s a tank that survived the Succession Wars, and that PPC has a deadly bite.”

“Are they really that dangerous?” Charles asked.

“Sure are,” Alexander spoke up, grimacing as a nasty memory suddenly reared its head. “Ranger and I nearly got our tickets punched by a pair of them on Lindsay. Bunch of bandit trash had parked themselves on one of the main roads into Kirkest and started blasting anyone who couldn’t pay their outrageous tolls. We managed to junk the fuckers, but their Manties gave us a good kicking before going down.”

“We had to strip everything we could from the carcasses to repair our mechs,” Jenna chuckled. “Had to replace my SRM rack with the first Mantie’s SureShot. Pretty sure it’s still the one I have now, in fact.” Her voice took on a hushed, far-away tone. “Lindsay, huh. That was our first stop after becoming errants.”

Alexander huffed out a laugh. “Yeah, and it was nearly the last too. Let’s make sure we do better this time, hmm?”

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) turned while flanking on pavement (Hex 1834); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms), but it is out of range…
-Fires LRM-5 at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Allied):
-Fires LRM-10 at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 3 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) is planning on jumping to Hex 1228 next turn.

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) is planning on flanking to Hex 1825 next turn.

Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) turned while running on pavement (Hex 1207); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) turned while running on pavement (Hex 1409); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 9: Succeeds!

Player Status

Ally Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Infantry: Dig In: Infantry units can dig in, sacrificing the ability to move in exchange for removing the ‘caught in the open’ penalty.
-Infantry: Harsh Weather Training: The infantry unit has been trained to operate in harsh environments and suffers no penalties due to extreme temperatures.
-Infantry: Sprint: Infantry units can sprint, moving an additional hex in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Rapid Autocannons: The pilot can fire an additional shot with standard and light autocannons. However, the shot will have a +1 accuracy penalty, and the weapon will jam on a roll of 2. If the gun does jam, it will remain unusable for the duration of combat.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.
-Sniper: Modifiers for all range brackets are halved.
-Toughness: Grants a -1 bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Armoured Cowl: Provides 3 additional armour points against attacks from the rear or side of the mech’s head.
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso to threaten an additional hex.
-Improved Targeting (Short): The mech receives a -1 bonus when firing at close range.

--

Primary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of Minister for Trade and Industry Paul Montagne.
Objective B: Once Objective A is achieved, either ensure Mason Voyce successfully retreats from the battlefield or destroy or drive off all enemy combatants.
Objective C: Etienne Decimis must survive.

Secondary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of at least 30 auctiongoers (0/30) (50,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective B: Facilitate the arrest of at least 60 auctiongoers (0/60) (100,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective C: Facilitate the arrest of all 100 auctiongoers (0/100) (150,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective D: Destroy or drive off all enemy combatants (200,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 26th 9:00PM GMT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That prowler moves fast, you've got like 3 moves before it's inside the compound

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Slavvy posted:

That prowler moves fast, you've got like 3 moves before it's inside the compound

Not really. We’re in for the long haul boys and girls. I tried counting tiles but I kept getting 1 tile higher or lower than I counted last time. It’s in-between 26-28 tiles to get into the walls, moving at 6 tiles a turn

Assuming the Prowler stays on the road and keeps moving as far as they can, they’ll reach the end of the road in 5 turns, and it might take the troops/prowler one more turn to get adjacent to/into the building. And that might get extended if something gets in the way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My bad, I mistook the trebuchet's movement track for the prowler :doh:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Treb

Can't really contribute much this turn aside from a sprint up to 1927.

Next turn, a run to 1522 should get me in range to actually shoot at something.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Wolverine

I can run up to 1427 which puts me in range to target the Manticore with my large laser this turn.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Immediate priorities I think should still be the turrets and Manticore. The Hermes and PHawk don't have as scary a weapon load and will likely have high to-hits.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think I'm going to head for the right side of the map instead of the left, Etienne can take that hill for himself. Currently planning on running to 1825, continuing to target the right side turret. Hopefully with some better dice this time.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

Running to 1727 and taking a shot at the Manticore, which also positions me conveniently to run or jump into several different woods hexes next turn depending on where the enemy moves and how aggressively they do it.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Looks like we all have a solid plan and targets. I'm going to draft up my orders and get them in tonight.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

:psyduck: :wtc:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

it must be using those hard light beam things I've heard about

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirror actuators built by the lowest bidder :argh:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Mirror actuators built by the lowest bidder :argh:

I have to assume it's this / the turntable being knocked out of alignment, because it sure as hell isn't the ammunition feed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Never seen that before :pwn:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BTA bleeding back into MekTek :sickos:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Scintilla posted:

I have to assume it's this / the turntable being knocked out of alignment, because it sure as hell isn't the ammunition feed.

Maybe they use multiple different lens arrays to mitigate heat buildup and the switching mechanism jammed?

/technobabble

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Scintilla posted:

The laser ammo feed...?

Reminds me of Mass Effect 2, and how they kludged in an ammo system by having the ammo clips being "cooling rods" or some such thing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The damned gimbals are out, can't move to aim.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It could be a chemical laser, the player visible stats would be the same and it could make sense in this operating context to have those.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

SIGSEGV posted:

It could be a chemical laser, the player visible stats would be the same and it could make sense in this operating context to have those.

"The chemicals are jammed."
"...jammed?"
"Yes, they've turned to the consistency of jam"

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Lol amazing

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

propatriamori posted:

"...jammed?"

Jellified by the cold of insulation damage or baked by the heat of combat damage and deformation

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Have you tried unplugging it then plugging it back in?

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

propatriamori posted:

"...jammed?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvblGCD7qM

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The impact jarred the plug out of the wall outlet

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Frozen Assets: Turn 2

A web of fluffy white contrails split the sky as a barrage of long-range missiles erupted from inside the meteorological station. The volley climbed upwards with deceptive laziness, seeming almost to hang in the air before falling, plunging down towards Sable Lance like a flock of voracious seabirds who had spotted a school of sardines. The volley hammered into the ground around Charles’s Gladiator, sending pillars of burning earth shooting up into the sky. Metal pinged as bits of shrapnel peppered the mech’s armour, but Charles’s diagnostics registered no damage.

A fierce grin tugged at Charles’s lips as his Gladiator emerged from the billowing grey cloud of smoke and powdered snow. A famous Terran politician had once said that there was nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result, and in that moment Charles knew it was true. Metal glinted in the distance as the author of that feeling strode out of the station, wisps of smoke rising from the missile launcher built into its chest plate.

“Watch out folks, the Centurion’s decided to join the party! Looks like they’re taking us seriously after all!” Charles announced, pausing briefly to snap a shot off at the Manticore. The heavy tank swerved in time to avoid being skewered by his PPC, but not quickly enough to avoid Jenna’s Large Laser. Steam billowed as the incredible heat vaporised the ice clinging to the tank’s hull, producing a pure white cloud that was quickly tainted by streaks of grey ash and black armour dust. Just as Jenna had warned, the tank absorbed the shot and kept coming, crunching its way down the road like a lumbering metal elephant.

“Left hand turret is down… I think,” Etienne reported hesitantly. “The gun isn’t moving anymore. Might put another shot into it just to be safe.”

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
- Fires Large Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 11, rolls 11: Hits Front! Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms) takes 8 damage to Front, 34/42 Armour remaining.

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Allied):
-Fires PPC at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) takes 10 damage, 20/30 CF remaining. Turret Damage Threshold Exceeded! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Turret Interior! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires LRM-10 at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 12: 6 Missiles Hit! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) takes 6 damage, 14/30 CF remaining. Turret Damage Threshold Exceeded! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Turret Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Large Laser jams!

Weapons fire for Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires LRM-10 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires PPC at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 11: 6 Missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Arm (13/18 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Centre Torso (24/25 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!

No melee attacks this turn!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) gains 17 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 5 heat. Overheating!

--

Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) is planning on standing still next turn.

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) is planning on flanking to Hex 1422 next turn.

Player Status

Ally Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Infantry: Dig In: Infantry units can dig in, sacrificing the ability to move in exchange for removing the ‘caught in the open’ penalty.
-Infantry: Harsh Weather Training: The infantry unit has been trained to operate in harsh environments and suffers no penalties due to extreme temperatures.
-Infantry: Sprint: Infantry units can sprint, moving an additional hex in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Rapid Autocannons: The pilot can fire an additional shot with standard and light autocannons. However, the shot will have a +1 accuracy penalty, and the weapon will jam on a roll of 2. If the gun does jam, it will remain unusable for the duration of combat.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.
-Sniper: Modifiers for all range brackets are halved.
-Toughness: Grants a -1 bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Armoured Cowl: Provides 3 additional armour points against attacks from the rear or side of the mech’s head.
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso to threaten an additional hex.
-Improved Targeting (Short): The mech receives a -1 bonus when firing at close range.

--

Primary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of Minister for Trade and Industry Paul Montagne.
Objective B: Once Objective A is achieved, either ensure Mason Voyce successfully retreats from the battlefield or destroy or drive off all enemy combatants.
Objective C: Etienne Decimis must survive.

Secondary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of at least 30 auctiongoers (0/30) (50,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective B: Facilitate the arrest of at least 60 auctiongoers (0/60) (100,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective C: Facilitate the arrest of all 100 auctiongoers (0/100) (150,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective D: Destroy or drive off all enemy combatants (200,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 30th 9:00PM GMT.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gwaihir posted:

Hopefully with some better dice this time.

Welp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Still laughing at jammed laser

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Good Lord my dice are atrocious.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Alright, that's hilarious. Jamming a laser indeed...

Nothing jumps out to me as a particularly good move, just remember at least one of you needs to be within 2 tiles of the Prowler or else it will suddenly be a viable target.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gwaihir posted:

Oh that’s where mine went

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Are you complaining at not getting a 6 or higher three times in a row? :D

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Well goddamn, I wasn't actually expecting to hit my shot but I'll take it!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Captain Foo posted:

Still laughing at jammed laser

I've done some tests and it turns out I can unjam it too. :shrug: The text simply states that the crew fixes a nonspecific malfunction, which makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

I've done some tests and it turns out I can unjam it too. :shrug: The text simply states that the crew fixes a nonspecific malfunction, which makes a lot more sense.

Yeah but it’s not as funny