Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This speed runner can do it so anyone who doesn't/can't is lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Hard disagree, personally. The campaign feels like such a chore to me, in part, because I know I have a lot of map progress to do. The campaign progression means nothing to me. Being able to be clearing the atlas while leveling up would be great.

It still definitely suffers from "can't work on my real build until later" though.

Yea agreed, maps from level 1 would go a long way. Atlas progression and better layouts would make the 1-75 process feel better. I've kinda given up on that possibility, though, cause it seems GGG have no intention of ever getting away from the campaign. So just shorten that sucker up and I'm happy

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I wish we could make this the thread title

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Just needs some Nearby radii to make it :discourse:

External Organs posted:

I wish we could make this the thread title

:hmmyes:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

almost totally inscrutable to any but the purest of CoC enjoyers, a thing of beauty

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

:ok:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Everything resetting on death means that when everyone wished for poe2 not to have labs they instead decided to make the whole game labs. Not really since at least for bosses you start at the beginning of the boss fight, but it's kind of funny.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's not even unspoken, ggg has said that you need the bad layouts to fully appreciate the fun layouts. personally i'm not so sure about that one

eh there's way, way, way tf more viable ways to get through the campaign quickly than either the leveling meta or popular perception of early game skill power reflects like go look at the absolute jank poo poo https://www.youtube.com/@Balaar/ is getting through act 10 in 3:20 with. I'm no balaar and I can get most skills that aren't like f tier mechanically through the story very quickly with a moderate amount of leveling gear or pretty quickly ssf. the actual balance of skills in poe, particularly early game is a lot tighter than the community thinks. the bigger issue is that most people have no idea how (and for that matter, apparently barely even try?) to put together leveling setups or how to actually scale archetypes that they aren't already familiar with.

like there's huge numbers of uniques with a level 20 (and a bunch with even lower) level reqs that do wild things to leveling and I'd be surprised if most people can even name 5-10 sub level 25 uniques. some of this is probably the game communicating some things poorly, but a lot of it isn't: most people struggling with bow or melee leveling apparently are unaware that they need to be constantly looking for weapon upgrades which is such an obvious thing that i struggle to even fault ggg for that

i can only speak of my own experience trying to get into the game as s omeone whod been playing arpgs since d1, bouncing off it like 3 times bcos the early campaign was a miserable slog just trying to intuit thru it. the balance of skills early is completely hosed, stuff like rolling magma just tears thru the game ridiculously better than other skills from level 1. someone using that and/or holy flame totem vs my rear end coming from d2 deciding flicker strike looked cool and getting thrown around is v stark. legit the first thing on my successful first playthru was i decided to just follow a build guide, and the pohx rf guide used rolling magma for levelling and it was immediately obvious how much better it was lol

and evne after that the next league i seriously played i did level my own build, using smite because i wanted to play smite, and comparing that to levelling like bane blight for my cocfr character later that league... just completely different levels entirely on how they felt in the campaign and how they dealt with everything. some raw buttons are just better than others and its super obvious.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
if you use ball lightning as your trigger spell then your full setup is Lancing Steel CoC (and) Ball Trigger

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Im gonna hit mans with a claw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

too lazy to learn or figure out something new

brother you should not have to learn or figure out an entire build to level a character thru a campaign in an arpg. any given skill should be able to get thru what is effectively the "normal" acts with no planning or forethought, gradually adding resistance near the end of "normal" and into "hell" to push players into working out how to build what theyre playing. end game is where you respec because you hosed up and cant progress not act 2.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Tarnop posted:

Just spend 500 hours perfecting the campaign you don't like (by playing and studying the campaign that you don't like) and then you too can save yourself 4-5 hours off of each campaign run. Your time will be paid back in just a few dozen leagues!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
like i already have to sit and learn or figure out a nwe build for the end game, and i want to do that because thats fun. i do not want to also do that for the part of the game i do not enjoy and i would skip if it was an option are you high

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The first time I played the game I ran out of steam in about act 2. I think it's probably because my "six different random unlinked spells" build wasn't good enough to kill things before I ran out of mana

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You will love poe2 where you
aren’t even guarantees specific leveling skills (afaict ) in the early campaign

I wonder how big a market there is for the game they want to make.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

You will love poe2 where you
aren’t even guarantees specific leveling skills (afaict ) in the early campaign

You mean besides the thing where the game hands out items that you can redeem to get whatever level-appropriate gem in the game that you want?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

On more league starter talk: I'm still totally undecided just like every other league

1. My Gluttonous Tide Charge Stacking Scourge Arrow of Menace Raider pet build idea
- Only one I've PoB'd so far. Terrible pathing, way-too-expensive gear, zdps and zehp. Prob still gonna try to force this one at some point
- At the end of the day, I just can't figure out how to get decent base attack damage on a bow build when using a lovely bow. A task made even harder when it specifically has to be phys or chaos damage. Even with all the extra damage multipliers, it doesn't matter if the base number being multiplied starts off comically small
- May try and shuffle things into a Slayer base. That would free up the neck slot since I'm trying to benefit from endurance charges for some reason and also fixes the base crit of the bow at least

2. Ice Crash of Cadence Something
- Buffed a little in 3.24, like ~30% more damage
- Could be a Champ (easy Perseverance scaling, and even more damage when you can eventually fit in Hatred), Slayer (good for attacks in general, maybe charge stacking), or maybe even Raider (if I still can't get over the charge stacking idea)
- Dunno if the relative lack of AoE scaling this league is gonna make it feel like a good enough mapper for me, tho

3. Mana Stacker Hiero
- Archmage is for sure gonna be good this league and more accessible than previously
- Lightning Conduit of the Heavens looks cool and could be a fun one with a variety of ways to build it
- An even more fun alternative could be a Kitava's Thirst BF/BB dude with automated Bladefall. If I get bored enough I may try and snag the helm on standard to test the mechanics out a little. Unsure of how it'll feel. Helm has a 50% trigger chance, so not every BB will have blades available, but with enough cast speed (and requisite mana sustain), maybe the damage will still be really good?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

You mean besides the thing where the game hands out items that you can redeem to get whatever level-appropriate gem in the game that you want?

Yeah I went back and I misunderstood the recent streamer beta restrictions

J
Jun 10, 2001

Traitorous Leopard posted:

On more league starter talk: I'm still totally undecided just like every other league

3. Mana Stacker Hiero
- Archmage is for sure gonna be good this league and more accessible than previously
- Lightning Conduit of the Heavens looks cool and could be a fun one with a variety of ways to build it
- An even more fun alternative could be a Kitava's Thirst BF/BB dude with automated Bladefall. If I get bored enough I may try and snag the helm on standard to test the mechanics out a little. Unsure of how it'll feel. Helm has a 50% trigger chance, so not every BB will have blades available, but with enough cast speed (and requisite mana sustain), maybe the damage will still be really good?

For anyone planning archmage anything, we don't know yet if indigon is still going to be an uber elder drop or if they might move it to uber uber elder. If they do, holy poo poo it's going to be :eyepop: expensive. Definitely a good idea to have backup plans and gear alternative ideas in mind for this build.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I feel like the issue with mana stacking this league won't necessarily be the availability of indigon, which is probably still its own good variant of manastacking, but the fact that it seems to be getting hyped up as this big high value league starting setup which is going to make all of its gear significantly more expensive.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

It's fun to laugh at the games journalists who couldn't progress, but realistically they're probably more representative of a lot of players

I wouldn't be that harsh on the general public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC4F6ctEO4g

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Einwand posted:

I feel like the issue with mana stacking this league won't necessarily be the availability of indigon, which is probably still its own good variant of manastacking, but the fact that it seems to be getting hyped up as this big high value league starting setup which is going to make all of its gear significantly more expensive.

It goes both ways though, more people playing it means more people crafting for it means you can pick up failed crafts and people's previous items for cheap. Maybe fractured mana stuff will be more expensive, but that's not going to be some giant issue for most people. It's only a really big problem when there's an uncommon unique that enables the build on league start, but archmage should be plenty strong on league start to not need indigon or any other expensive unique, just rares.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

M. Night Skymall posted:

It goes both ways though, more people playing it means more people crafting for it means you can pick up failed crafts and people's previous items for cheap. Maybe fractured mana stuff will be more expensive, but that's not going to be some giant issue for most people. It's only a really big problem when there's an uncommon unique that enables the build on league start, but archmage should be plenty strong on league start to not need indigon or any other expensive unique, just rares.

Good luck getting the flesh and flame jewels to get past league start and go crit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Tarnop posted:

i'm refuting the claim that the number of playable skills is very limited, not saying that everyone needs to run the campaign at balaar's speed. no one needs to play the game in really any way at all

Stux posted:

i can only speak of my own experience trying to get into the game as s omeone whod been playing arpgs since d1, bouncing off it like 3 times bcos the early campaign was a miserable slog just trying to intuit thru it. the balance of skills early is completely hosed, stuff like rolling magma just tears thru the game ridiculously better than other skills from level 1. someone using that and/or holy flame totem vs my rear end coming from d2 deciding flicker strike looked cool and getting thrown around is v stark. legit the first thing on my successful first playthru was i decided to just follow a build guide, and the pohx rf guide used rolling magma for levelling and it was immediately obvious how much better it was lol

and evne after that the next league i seriously played i did level my own build, using smite because i wanted to play smite, and comparing that to levelling like bane blight for my cocfr character later that league... just completely different levels entirely on how they felt in the campaign and how they dealt with everything. some raw buttons are just better than others and its super obvious.

yeah there's a few skills that are incredibly worse (flicker strike, chain hook, trying to level only using puncture or something) and a handful of skills that are very strong (and the pool of strong skills for most of the last couple of years has been actually pretty broad, like ~10 different spells below level 10 that were all good enough to be generally competitive with eachother) and then a whole bunch of skills that are middling but not bad, just usually lacking something, and in most cases that's primarily that they're mechanically weak more than that they don't do damage. sometime in the last year or two ggg did a pass over the early game gem offerings and there're far fewer bait options in there.

also it seems entirely reasonable that smite, a decidedly off-meta leveling skill, was plenty good to get you through the campaign on a self-made setup and of course it performed worse than a leveling build crafted and perfected by some freaks with probably 25k hours between them.

like looking through the early offerings in https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Quest_Rewards, how many bait skills do you actually see in there early on? the act 1 gems are 90% skills that are either good, useful, or at least solidly playable.

Stux posted:

brother you should not have to learn or figure out an entire build to level a character thru a campaign in an arpg. any given skill should be able to get thru what is effectively the "normal" acts with no planning or forethought, gradually adding resistance near the end of "normal" and into "hell" to push players into working out how to build what theyre playing. end game is where you respec because you hosed up and cant progress not act 2.

the same things that make a build work late game are the same things that make a build work early game. like yeah you can just ignore the early game or refuse to learn it, but I guess just accept then that it's going to be a needlessly miserable experience because you refuse to interact with it?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 26, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What determines if a skill is playable? The fact that someone with hundreds/thousands of hours of campaign practice can beat the campaign with it?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Qwertycoatl posted:

The first time I played the game I ran out of steam in about act 2. I think it's probably because my "six different random unlinked spells" build wasn't good enough to kill things before I ran out of mana

The *very* first time I played it, I think I quit at like...zone 2. I was like "this is an ugly, boring, slow, cludgey mess". This was probably 1-2 years after release.

Then when I played it for the first time again in Deli, I actually really enjoyed the campaign. Hell, I even liked Lab! It was cool and new and unique and a challenge.

On repeat runs though it's just a chore.

Yea agreed, maps from level 1 would go a long way. Atlas progression and better layouts would make the 1-75 process feel better. I've kinda given up on that possibility, though, cause it seems GGG have no intention of ever getting away from the campaign. So just shorten that sucker up and I'm happy

To be clear, yeah, there's zero chance they ever change the PoE 1 leveling process.

They do hope to improve the campaign and make more tweaks to it to make it more interesting, esp once PoE2 is shipped.

I don't even hate the campaign today, it's just that it feels like "wasted time". I'm actually looking forward to the new things they added that they talked about in the announcement stream.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 26, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
^yeah i'm a weirdo who enjoys the campaign because there's about a billion different ways you can run it and even I think they should just start alts off in act 6 at level 44 or something.

Tarnop posted:

What determines if a skill is playable? The fact that someone with hundreds/thousands of hours of campaign practice can beat the campaign with it?

i'd put it more that someone can pick the gem and self-assemble a build that gets through the campaign with it without too much trouble or that much game knowledge, eg stux making it through the campaign on a smite character very early on

like of the first two sets of skill gems in here https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Quest_Rewards I see only one or two skills that I'd actually advise someone not to pick (chainhook, maybe cobralash?)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 26, 2024

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
The most triggering thing ive seen with respect to league “starters” is referencing Mjolner and Indigon. I like conner converse but Mjolner could be 10+ divines at start. Indigon will likely be even more, i would guess.

Unless you plan to no-life sanctum on day 1 and 2, dont “start” these builds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
to be clear evne with the smite character it was something i had to plan out and also midway thru levelling i had to stop and go trawl through a bunch of older poeninjas etc of ppl who had played non-armor stacker so i had a better passive tree to go off of, which took a lot of time bcos it wasnt something commonly used for levelling or any builds that could be quickly adapted to it. im only confident to freehand levelling for this league bcos im starting witch and even with how bad chaos dot is end game ive levelled with it three times and you can basically just click any passives and clear the campaign with it bcos its completely braindead in comparison.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

yeah i guess it does actually... makes it more confusing why so many of the monolith maps have packs that are like 3 enemies just dotted around lol

they said they'd look into the maps with too low density but i guess they didn't have time before launch
it's also my main gripe with the game, maps they built later have decent density because they got to the part where their engine could handle it, but old ones have 3 enemies on a huge map, and there's way more old maps so you get way more empty maps in monolights, it's so stupid lmao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
seriously i can not stress enough how badly misunderstood the poe early game is and how disconnected perceptions of strength are relative to what is actually good. i was telling anyone who would listen since 3.17 that bow leveling was in an extremely good spot (when they added precise technique, and then even more so after ggg reworked bow bases) and it objectively was despite people all repeating the same stuff about how bows are incredibly hard to level for ages. it took 3 or 4 seasons more before some racers started to take real notice of bow leveling and it wasn't until, what 3.21 or even later that LA really blew up as a starter for the masses. meanwhile bows had been literally one of the easiest things to get so much damage with ssf gear that it felt like you were playing a twink build the entire time

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

wemgo posted:

The most triggering thing ive seen with respect to league “starters” is referencing Mjolner and Indigon. I like conner converse but Mjolner could be 10+ divines at start. Indigon will likely be even more, i would guess.

Yeah, he make it work because he's been doing it for 10 leagues in a row. I'd say it's a good second build for almost anyone else.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

wemgo posted:

Speaking of, for anyone looking at how to make money on league start, Sanctum blasting is prob gonna be one of the best strats again this league. Not much chatter about it in 3.23 because of how comparatively lucrative wisp juicing was, but a solid Sanctum league starter will prob crest 10+ div/hr faster than just about any other reasonable solo strat. It's the safe bet if ya don't wanna gamble with the new league mechanic.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Watching Ziz's interview with Mark about Necropolis. Will edit this post live.

• Ziz: It's important for devs to actually play their own game (this feels like a "d4 bad" jab)
  • Bestiary Scarab of the Shadow Crow - Area contains The Black Morrigan if it contains Einhar. Mark being coy about how Morrigan is used a Beastcraft (but specifically said not That Which Was Taken, didn't want to bring it core since Charms didn't go core).
  • Idea from Mark they're investigating: give Ritual a proper endgame mechanic by re-introducing parts of Afflicition into it.
  • Beyond Scarab of the Invasion - Unique monsters slain in this area create 8 to 12 additional Beyond portals
  • Mark pointing out that some Scarabs do in fact stack (did notice that from the previous teaser video)
  • Breach Scarab - Area Contains 2 Additional Breaches. Limit 4.
  • 3 to 1 vendor recipe still exists. Harvest recipe was nuked because they bumped up the drop rate of Scarabs. Alpha testing on this was done earlier than usual Alphas so it should feel good based on that feedback.
  • Breach Scarab of the Dreamer - Breaches in area will always belong to Chayula
  • Breach Scarab of Lordship - Breaches in area each contain a Breachlord
  • Breach Scarab of Splintering - Monsters and Clasped Hands drop 50% more Splinters. Limit 2
  • Breach Scarab of Snaers - 5 to 10 more Clasped Hands in each Breach, each guarded by a Rare
  • Console tester said the Hands were un-targetable during combat, which pushed GGG to change it (finally, console version good for something).
  • Mark doesn't think doors feel good but doesn't want them to be automatic (/me stares at Incursion). Mark: the Cataclysm happened before the Vaal could spread their automatic door technology.
  • PoE2 has a larger item pickup radius, Mark wants to port this back to PoE1 but wants to get the number right because the number can never go down, only up. Also ties into NPC and door interaction.
  • WASD in PoE1 requires new character rigs, which requires new animations, which requires redoing all bits of armour and MTX. Maybe this could be done a year after PoE2 is released.
  • Domination Scarab of Terrors - Shrines are guarded by an additional (random?) map boss, which are affected by map boss mods (should also mean thing like "map bosses have chance to drop guardian maps" would also apply)
  • Essence Scarab - 2 additional
  • Essence Scarab of Ascent - Tier higher
  • Essence Scarab of Calcification - All rare monsters in area are imprisoned by Essences (1. Native rare monsters only, no Legion or Breach rares and such. 2. What the gently caress?!?!?). Mark thinks baseline this could be about 10 additional Essences.
  • Mark not happy with how rare/hidden/somewhat terrible Memories are. Was slated for 3.24 but ran out of time/resources.
  • Mark wanted to make a Scrying Orb, where you'd click on map A and then map B and map B would get map A's card drop pool (additionally or replacement?). New Scarab is kind of a band-aid solution
  • "If we removed Divination Cards entirely would people still run one map?". Discussion about map layout/efficiency of mechanics.
  • Recognizes that someone chain-running 10 way invites is definitely at a disadvantage, economically speaking. Ziz points out this would be better if Maven and Eater/Exarch influence could be a thing.
  • Harbinger Scarab of Discernment - Rarer currency shards, but only that type is dropped
  • Harbinger Scarab of Warhoards - Shards are duplicated
  • Ziz: Afraid people will hoard Scarabs instead of maybe using some throughout white and yellow maps? Mark: Rarity will help out with that, but obviously the rare ones will definitely want/need to be used in conjunction with others
  • Harvest Scarab of Doubling - Duplicate monsters, 100% more life (Sextant mod is back)
  • Harvest Scarab of Cornucopia - If area contains Sacred Grove, it will contain up to 1 additional tier 4 seed of each type, if possible (:eyepop:)
  • Incursion Scarab of Timelines - Final architect slain in area will drop itemised Temple, areas based on current layout/rooms but tiers are randomized (Mark points out Explosive Rooms might actually have a purpose now)
  • Octavian designed most of the new Scarabs
  • Influencing Scarab of Conversion - T14+ maps have a chance to convert to Shaper/Elder/Sirus/Synthesis maps
  • Legion Scarab of Eternal Conflict - Monsters can be broken out of stasis multiple times (monsters have increasing HP each time and it rerolls its possible reward)
  • Cartography Scarab of Ascension - +1 map tier, up to T16 (which incidentally means more T17s)
  • Cartography Scarab of Corruption - Non-unique maps drop 8 mod corrupted (shouldn't affect T17s because un-modifiable)
  • Cartography Scarab of Duplication - 30% dupe chance. Limit 2.
  • Scarab of Monstrous Lineage - 40% magic pack size
  • Scarab of Adversaries - 4 additional mirrored rare monsters (this should work with that Essence Scarab). No reflect immunity. Mark: "Deal with it"
  • Scarab of Stability - 50% chance to not consume map portals. Areas still have a limit of 6 players.
  • Ritual Scarab of Selectiveness - First two re-rolls free and one additional re-roll. Limit 2.
  • Ambush Scarab - 5 additional boxes. Limit 4.
  • Ambush Scarab of Containment - The old Monstrous Treasure mod (maybe minus the quant bonus? Mark doesn't remember)
  • Mark hasn't even read the patch notes (ha, noob)
  • Sulphite Scarab of the Fumes - Sulphite releases Enraging Fumes. Affected monsters have 500% IIQ. Sulphite has Delve monsters surrounding it.
  • Horned Scarab of Bloodlines - All monsters are at least magic (holy frijoles). Ziz jokes Empy's crew will use this to crash servers.
  • Horned Scarab of Nemesis - Rares have 2 additional modifiers (hello HH). More modifiers = more drops + more conversion chance.
  • From discussion of removal of the gem XP conversion, thought experiment from Mark: what if current gem level 20 power is brought down to level 18 but gems can level up to 25? The XP conversion was a bit of a band-aid, will re-evaluate gem XP for 3.25. Thinks where they hit 20 naturally is current in the sweet spot.
  • Ziz: more Awakened gems pls? And maybe double corrupting a gem could turn it white? Mark is intrigued by white gem idea.
  • Horned Scarab of Preservation - Other scarabs not consumed
  • Horned Scarab of Awakening - 1 imbued map crafting option. Primary uses are giga-juicing your mechanics or using the prefix/suffix nullification option (nullifies both the upside and downside of the mods). Might split this into two separate Scarabs in the future, will evaluate this league.
  • Horned Scarab are just normal (albeit rather rare) world drops. Number of Horned Scarabs and Uber bosses both being 7 is just a coincidence, there will be more Horned in the future.
  • Horned Scarab of Tradition - All rare monsters have at least 1 reward modifier, players' IIR and IIQ mods do not apply to map. Specifically made so that people didn't have to use magic find in order to use it. Party size still works though. Still some opportunity cost between running this solo vs. group, but not much different from a bunch of other things in the game.
  • New Scarab tab layout seems easier to navigate
  • Ziz: so Scarab tab is basically mandatory now, right? Mark: Well the stack size is bigger, but..."This is the age of questioning original philosophies"
  • Mark: yeah, we rushed the LMB instant cast change. Some things you can't absolutely revert though (call back to the item pickup radius). Believes the change is better (otherwise they'd undo it), but do want a not-evil solution in the future. Knows people don't agree with him, but try it first.
  • Horned Scarab of Glittering - Players gain IIR and IIQ per monster killed recently, to a cap (same deal as the Whakawhakawhaka map, minus the light radius thing)
  • Ziz brings up Nearby because of the mention of Recently. Mark: "It's a bit of a meme at this point". This Mark is actually Mark 2. Mark 1 handles the item text (and main guy on reddit explaining the mechanics). Kind of a "bigger fish to fry" thing to streamline it.
  • Horned Scarab of Pandemonium - 15% chance for a pack to be replaced by an Atlas boss, which gets all map boss modifiers (hot drat)
  • Reliquary Scarab of Vision - Area contains the Nameless Seer (he offers 1 free unique of your choice, some biasing towards rarer ones)
  • 109 total Scarabs, this video only covered 30

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
hell artillery ballista was in it's current state as the single strongest leveling skill in the game for, what, 9 months? before people took notice of it

Speaking of, for anyone looking at how to make money on league start, Sanctum blasting is prob gonna be one of the best strats again this league. Not much chatter about it in 3.23 because of how comparatively lucrative wisp juicing was, but a solid Sanctum league starter will prob crest 10+ div/hr faster than just about any other reasonable solo strat. It's the safe bet if ya don't wanna gamble with the new league mechanic.

in addition to this: heist will be extremely good in the first couple of days, particularly anything giving gem rewards.

the 0 brain cell plan to get 150 div asap would be to just start a build that can chain run simus within a day or two and you will get rich without having to put a single thought into mapping or juicing strats

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 26, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There definitely tends to be streamer myopia about a lot of them game.

At least with respect to people who post online about it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

seriously i can not stress enough how badly misunderstood the poe early game is and how disconnected perceptions of strength are relative to what is actually good. i was telling anyone who would listen since 3.17 that bow leveling was in an extremely good spot (when they added precise technique, and then even more so after ggg reworked bow bases) and it objectively was despite people all repeating the same stuff about how bows are incredibly hard to level for ages. it took 3 or 4 seasons more before some racers started to take real notice of bow leveling and it wasn't until, what 3.21 or even later that LA really blew up as a starter for the masses. meanwhile bows had been literally one of the easiest things to get so much damage with ssf gear that it felt like you were playing a twink build the entire time

yeh its cos no one wants to sit and theorycraft levelling!!! its loving boring!!! no one wants to sit and spend 10 hours to save 2 hours it doesnt make any sense. even the stuff youre saying about bows requires a solid and broad base of in game knowledge to even think about let alone come up with on the fly. i dont think youre understanding what ppls issue is lol. other arpgs u just pick up whatever on the ground only worrying about really basic levels of gearing and 99% of skills just blast early campaign, w the requirement to refine things being brought in gradually so you can work out what you need intuitively. if people were saying bows were hard to level but the stats didnt follow that doesnt invalidate what theyre saying at all, and having the specific knowledge required to know that also doesnt chagne it. i made the smite levelling work and once i had worked out what i needed for it it was "easy" to put it together, but going from "i do not know how anything in this game other than rf/fire trap" works to knowing that was the difficulty. and it still loving sucked compared to normal levelling builds both because of my lack of knowledge and the skill itself just isnt as good as other skills unless you can feed it a very specific twink build that then makes it an incredibly op levelling skill. poe is always going to have that problem at some point in character progression but its way way earlier than it could or should be because the campaign is just pointlessly more punishing from the word go than anything else in the genre.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
getting a good bow is literally just iding bows you find until you find one with a bunch of flat damage and equipping it. sometimes u hit a bow with an essence if the floor hasn't been generous, but i never really struggled to find a good floor bow. it's genuinely been very easy because precise technique just utterly carries bow builds early game, it just took a while to cathc on because there's a ton of poe meta inertia and the meta is mostly defined by what like a dozen streamers and youtubers are doing/saying

i'd also completely argue that putting minimal amounts of time into figuring out leveling pays off many times over: this was how i leveled a few characters like 5 leagues ago, i think a grand total of 30 minutes of theorycrafting went into this, and by theorycrafting i mean putting a fireburst essence on a staff and then getting a lot of move speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dZ7R7ppkyo

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 26, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
post your total hours pplayed in poe. now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
2 RSIs