Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shard posted:

How come Ao is cool with the dead three getting super involved with the mortal planes to the point of their avatars coming out in this game?

And if he ain't cool with it he doesn't seem to do much about it

Ao really doesn't give a poo poo. I'm pretty sure he's the most powerful god simply because he owns all the incense manufacturers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shard posted:

How come Ao is cool with the dead three getting super involved with the mortal planes to the point of their avatars coming out in this game?

Portfolio encompasses being an rear end in a top hat DM op.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Busybody rear end refugees with their -5 reaction to me looting infernal metal off dead robots. What the gently caress do they care? Mind your business.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

grack posted:

Ao really doesn't give a poo poo. I'm pretty sure he's the most powerful god simply because he owns all the incense manufacturers.

Sharrans buried in debt.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shard posted:

Hasbro upper god management says this world needs more evil to meet its adventure output quota, can't be helped, the entire setting exists to lurch from one crisis to another so murder hobos always have a job

It's like if the bad guys won Metal Gear Solid

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If lesser gods loving around on the material plane doesn't constitute divine intervention I don't know what does. Or is this one of those things of doesn't count it was their chosen?

You gotta hand it to the illithids at least they are involved lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shard posted:

ao knows the dead three are the biggest losers in the realms and there's no chance they'll accomplish anything. just sit back and enjoy the content.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Yeah, there was a reason they went with Bhaal in BG1: He didnt have a lot going on at the time in the fiction, and he's a relatively minor threat in the big scheme of the setting

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Hasbro upper god management says this world needs more evil to meet its adventure output quota, can't be helped, the entire setting exists to lurch from one crisis to another so murder hobos always have a job

It's like if the bad guys won Metal Gear Solid

It's always morally correct to take whatever retirement you can get because you just know some new group of adventuring assholes are gonna drag you in for "one last job".

Zodium posted:

ao knows the dead three are the biggest losers in the realms and there's no chance they'll accomplish anything. just sit back and enjoy the content.

Getting dunked on by a group primarily made up of total gently caress ups is indeed pretty funny.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly this turned out to be shockingly useful when I just started picking up chests for Astarion to lockpick at camp.

Is there a reason why you lock pick the chests at camp?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is there a reason why you lock pick the chests at camp?

Get advantage with the resonance stone not that it's important but mostly that I found that I was running out of lock picks at the end of the game.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Oooo so lockpicking in the camp does *not* consume lockpicks??

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

No I just didn't feel like dragging astarion around that much in act 3.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Resonance stone is also something worth reverse pickpocketing onto some like Gortash.

It made him vulnerable to Psychic damage so I finally found a use for shadow blade. Also cancels his mental save advantage.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Shard posted:

you thought you were getting a companion lol

we were jamming on lutes around the campfire and how the people danced!!!

i guess she hit a bum note or something :qq: anyway everyone believed that a wild boar did it, moving on

if i want to recruit minthara, do i just side with her invasion of the grove?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

we were jamming on lutes around the campfire and how the people danced!!!

i guess she hit a bum note or something :qq: anyway everyone believed that a wild boar did it, moving on

if i want to recruit minthara, do i just side with her invasion of the grove?

Thats the easier way. Harder way is knock her out and rescue her from Moonrise Towers later.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Use non lethal attacks and you can meet her later at Moonrise but be warned choosing her means not getting Halsin or the returning BG1 characters

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Use non lethal attacks and you can meet her later at Moonrise but be warned choosing her means not getting Halsin or the returning BG1 characters

Nah you can recruit them all, [I did in vanilla] though it might result in some buggy behavior.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Nah you can recruit them all, [I did in vanilla] though it might result in some buggy behavior.

Correct I was able to get everyone but it felt like the game was coming apart at the seems so it's probably just better to keep her for an evil playthrough

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Sorry Karlach, but I got Minsc and Boo and there's only room for one and one-tenth I guess comic relief character in my party.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shard posted:

Correct I was able to get everyone but it felt like the game was coming apart at the seems so it's probably just better to keep her for an evil playthrough

Honestly it was mostly fine other than halsin being ejected from his tent and a couple of other things but Minthara atm just seems incredibly buggy in general. I basically only used her for the end of act 2 and a couple of places in act 3 so she could lay some sick burns. Epilogue was a little weird though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Successfully picking a lock doesn't consume a lockpick.

Failing to pick a lock will consume a lockpick regardless of where you do it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Sorry Karlach, but I got Minsc and Boo and there's only room for one and one-tenth I guess comic relief character in my party.

Don't let Minsc hear you say that about Boo...

It's funny if you make him a berserker with lore appropriate stats he is strictly better than Karlach in every way but his saving throws

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

grack posted:

Successfully picking a lock doesn't consume a lockpick.

Failing to pick a lock will consume a lockpick regardless of where you do it.

Knowledge!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thinking about this game.

Darn reality keeps getting in the way!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thinking about this game.

Darn reality keeps getting in the way!

I am totally obsessed with this game. I got dd 2 resident evil 4 and dead space remake and I started all three and came back to this.

I know I'll probably burn out eventually but it really is everything I've ever wanted out of an RPG.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Woolie Wool posted:

they can go kick rocks

durge is embracing the evil, my goal is to end up looking like a dragonborn black metal bard

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If I let Karlach go full illithid, does that mean I have to have her in the party all the way to the final boss and leave Minsc on the back bench? I know Orpheus can do it but going so far to help the Githyanki rebels and then turning their savior into a mind flayer seems like a betrayal (maybe the paladin thing to do would be to make my PC sacrifice his own humanity instead, but ick).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Shard posted:

I am totally obsessed with this game. I got dd 2 resident evil 4 and dead space remake and I started all three and came back to this.

I know I'll probably burn out eventually but it really is everything I've ever wanted out of an RPG.

Same! BG3 feels perfectly like what I want out of an RPG.

Developers could make different iterations of BG3, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Zelda Tears of the Kingdom over and over and over and I’d still love it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Same! BG3 feels perfectly like what I want out of an RPG.

Developers could make different iterations of BG3, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Zelda Tears of the Kingdom over and over and over and I’d still love it.

This sounds absolutely terrible, Morrowind and Skyrim were great games too but nobody needed the entire industry to spend 10 years making open world shovelware because of MBA-brained numbskulls thinking that imitating the mechanics and surface features of a game would also recapture what made it good. And besides, more cerebral, "literary" storytelling is also a valid path for making an RPG and one that lends itself to a far more austere presentation that would also be far more accessible to studios without hundreds of millions of dollars to spend.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

If I let Karlach go full illithid, does that mean I have to have her in the party all the way to the final boss and leave Minsc on the back bench? I know Orpheus can do it but going so far to help the Githyanki rebels and then turning their savior into a mind flayer seems like a betrayal (maybe the paladin thing to do would be to make my PC sacrifice his own humanity instead, but ick).

Yea the party you go into the finale with is the one you're stuck with till the very end so better make it one you're happy with

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Woolie Wool posted:

When you make the choice your party will be locked in already. No more rests no camp visits.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yea the party you go into the finale with is the one you're stuck with till the very end so better make it one you're happy with

Hope Lae'zel is happy with her prince having tentacles then because there's nothing Karlach does that Barbarian!Minsc doesn't do better and funnier.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Woolie Wool posted:

This sounds absolutely terrible, Morrowind and Skyrim were great games too but nobody needed the entire industry to spend 10 years making open world shovelware because of MBA-brained numbskulls thinking that imitating the mechanics and surface features of a game would also recapture what made it good. And besides, more cerebral, "literary" storytelling is also a valid path for making an RPG and one that lends itself to a far more austere presentation that would also be far more accessible to studios without hundreds of millions of dollars to spend.

I think most gamers would enjoy more of great game

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 26, 2024

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Woolie Wool posted:

there's nothing Karlach does that Barbarian!Minsc doesn't do better and funnier.

Have big red titties?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think most gamers would enjoy more of great game

"Great game" cannot just be replicated over and over like an industrial product. Trying to just make BG3 over and over would result in hollow AAA shovelware CRPGs just like trying to make Skyrim over and over resulted in hollow AAA open world loot games. You don't want to play Activision's attempt to jump on a hypothetical Baldur's Bandwagon. And frankly the occasional actually great blockbuster like BG3 doesn't make up for all the other blockbusters sucking up all the capital and talent that would go to the sort of mid-sized developers that made the original BG duology all those years ago.

The game is great, but the genre lives or dies by its ability to produce smaller titles like Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, etc.

Bum the Sad posted:

Have big red titties?
Doesn't matter to me :gay:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 26, 2024

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bum the Sad posted:

Have big red titties?

Minsc takes no BS, that's why he has Boo and not boobs.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
monk Karlach is really good and turns op as poo poo (more so than a regular oh monk) if you drop a coin in the jukebox

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Do y'all prefer playing as non origin tav or dark urge? I'm going through a tav game on PS5 but I feel the pull to durge and I wondered what y'all's preferences are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Shard posted:

Do y'all prefer playing as non origin tav or dark urge? I'm going through a tav game on PS5 but I feel the pull to durge and I wondered what y'all's preferences are

I thought Durge was better than Tav storywise, but I liked the character I made with Tav more.