Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

In the bible/Hebrew, days of the week are simply numbered. Sunday is "First Day" etc.

Anyway I'm starting a new fitness regime and want to work out every other day and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Re: daysoftheweek

Under Jewish traditions, the day changes at sundown (the sun being created during the fourth day obviously night comes first). Saturday is also the Sabbath day, starting at sundown on Friday. Christian tradition says death on Friday, burial just before sundown, rests on Sabbath, resurrection on Sunday morning. So Christian celebration focuses on Sunday, moving the day of rest from the seventh day to the first. Muslim traditions agree the day of rest starts Friday, but Friday morning, making Saturday the first day. ISO, deciding everything is better off with a standard standardizes on Monday being the first day of the week, a position technically no religion agrees with.
[tongue in cheek]
Sorry, but the Bible is very clear on this:

Genesis 2 posted:

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
Also:

Wikipedia posted:

For most Christians, Sunday is observed as a day of worship and rest, holding it as the Lord's Day and the day of Christ's resurrection.
That you Americans (and some others) think that the seventh day being the the first day makes sense is your problem and goes counter to all good Christian basis for days of the week.
[/Tongue in Cheek]
To be a bit more serious: Sunday being the first day of the week comes from the Jewish tradition of Saturday being the seventh day of creation and the day of rest. Later, in Christianity, Constantine made Sunday, as the day Jesus was resurrected, the holy day and the day of rest. However, for some reason, in many regions Sunday still stayed/stays the first day of the week, while in other reasons it became the seventh day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I propose a six‐day week.

It’s not a loving prime number like seven.

It multiplies closer the lunar cycle of twenty‐nine and a half days.

It annoys like four billion people worldwide who follow Abrahamic religions.

We’re keeping the two‐day weekend and cutting the workweek to four days.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

First pluto, now sunday... The woke left are taking away all of our cherished sequences of things that you learn as a child

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Finally, I could also safely work out every other day

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Platystemon posted:

6 day week, 10 months of 6 weeks each. The five days at the end are a holiday, six on leap years.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DTurtle posted:

That you Americans (and some others) think that the seventh day being the the first day makes sense is your problem and goes counter to all good Christian basis for days of the week.
[/Tongue in Cheek]
Quakers have called Sunday First Day since before America existed. The idea of Sunday being the first day of the week is a Christian idea (at least a protestant/Puritan idea), and has been for a long, long time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

10 months of 6 weeks each

What is with the Franco–Deutsch obsession with the number ten?

It’s twelve months of five weeks each, plus the leap week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am fond of the idea of uncalendered time, like you just add some days here and there to keep the calendar roughly right with the sun and people just do whatever on them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

alnilam posted:

First pluto, now sunday... The woke left are taking away all of our cherished sequences of things that you learn as a child

Wait'll you see what we did to "ROYGBIV"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Platystemon posted:

10 is the basic number.

Everything is based on 10.

We have ten fingers and you have ten toes.

It's the only logical base number

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Revolutionary France tried doing 10 day weeks but you still only get two days off. It sucked. The only thing mildly interesting is that they tried to also introduce a secular "rural calendar" to replace the old catholic saints calendar that would associate a saint for every day, and instead the idea was that people would secularly contemplate a plant, animal, farm tool, or mineral. Today is the day of the pimpernel. Two days ago it was the day of spinach, two days from now it will be the day of twine, and two days after that is the day of parsley. Yippee.

There was even a proposal for metric hours and minutes, but not even the French revolutionaries could really be bothered trying to make that work.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That makes twenty.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Platystemon posted:

It’s twelve months of five weeks each, plus the leap week.

Ten means we can just remove the Vanity months, and the month names will make sense again.

But sure, 5 week months is fine too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The month names aren't wrong because of the vanity months, the mistake was moving the year start date to the middle of winter for some reason.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The French Revisionary calender is the only logical way of telling time.

Anything else is feudalism.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Eiba posted:

Quakers have called Sunday First Day since before America existed. The idea of Sunday being the first day of the week is a Christian idea (at least a protestant/Puritan idea), and has been for a long, long time.
The point is that BOTH Sunday being the first day of the week and Sunday being the last day of the week are Christian ideas.

Pointing at Quakers as some kind of "long, long time" thing is an extremely American thing.

Sunday being the first day of the week was the numbering/naming system introduced by the Jews some time in the second century BCE, and then apparently picked up and spread by the Romans. Some eighteen hundred years ago Constantine the Great then made Sunday the day of rest, but kept it as the first day of the week.

In some areas it then supposedly slowly shifted to Sunday being considered the seventh day in some areas (as seen by some coins having Saturday as the "sixth day").

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 27, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Here's a question. Every paper calendar I've ever seen in my life starts on Sunday. Is this also the case in the UK or Australia? Or these other countries? (My partner is Very Into Stationery and has been looking for a Monday-start calendar, unsuccessfully, for YEARS).

Order from a civilised country instead of one of the Englands?

https://putinki.fi/collections/seinakalenterit

This was just the first hit, I have no idea about that shop. And the week numbers might be wrong if you care about that.

Oh yeah and there's OTHER LANGUAGES present.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

10 is the basic number.

Everything is based on 10.

It's the only logical base number

Honestly base twelve makes more sense, if you learn it from a young age it's easily divisible by 3, 4, and 6, where 10 is only divisible by 2 and 5. Byzantines did it and it's why there's 24 hours in a day instead of ten or 100 hours in a day.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Constantine made Sunday a day of rest for everybody in the whole empire. It was a civil order, not a religious one. "All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun."

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SlothfulCobra posted:

Revolutionary France tried doing 10 day weeks but you still only get two days off. It sucked. The only thing mildly interesting is that they tried to also introduce a secular "rural calendar" to replace the old catholic saints calendar that would associate a saint for every day, and instead the idea was that people would secularly contemplate a plant, animal, farm tool, or mineral. Today is the day of the pimpernel. Two days ago it was the day of spinach, two days from now it will be the day of twine, and two days after that is the day of parsley. Yippee.

There was even a proposal for metric hours and minutes, but not even the French revolutionaries could really be bothered trying to make that work.

was there a process for obsoleting plants/animals/farm tools/minerals? should we still be contemplating the plow instead of the combine harvester?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

redleader posted:

was there a process for obsoleting plants/animals/farm tools/minerals? should we still be contemplating the plow instead of the combine harvester?

What the gently caress, do you think ploughs aren't used anymore? How the gently caress do you think fields work?

E: and before some wannabe fishmech fucko wikipedias at me, I know you can grow crops without ploughing, but I also know about 100% of fields you see out there are ploughed.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 27, 2024

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What the gently caress, do you think ploughs aren't used anymore? How the gently caress do you think fields work?

E: and before some wannabe fishmech fucko wikipedias at me, I know you can grow crops without ploughing, but I also know about 100% of fields you see out there are ploughed.

oh i was thinking those old timey ones that get pulled by a donkey or whatever

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

you think i've ever seen a farm irl?!?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

redleader posted:

Probably, yes. You just glossed over them because visually they're boring as all gently caress most of the time. (And invisible for several months if you have proper seasons.)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

FreudianSlippers posted:

The French Revisionary calender is the only logical way of telling time.

Anything else is feudalism.

^^^^

it's germinal right now, love it or leave it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Probably, yes. You just glossed over them because visually they're boring as all gently caress most of the time. (And invisible for several months if you have proper seasons.)

i was exaggerating a bit, but thinking about it i don't think i've really seen much in the way of plant farms. it was all bloody sheep farms, until it became nothing but loving cow farms

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Do NOT plough the sheep.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do NOT plough the sheep.

another erasure of new zealand in the map thread :eng99:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I am fond of the idea of uncalendered time, like you just add some days here and there to keep the calendar roughly right with the sun and people just do whatever on them.

Those are the days when you can sin freely because they lie outside of God's plan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redleader posted:

A moisture farm, surely.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I thought this was the Lichtenstein version of the map of Napoleon's grand adventure in Russia, except this time the army gets bigger. :v:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

redleader posted:

The magic of it staying the day of the plow is that you’re free to contemplate the Wurzels whenever you want.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mmkay posted:

I thought this was the Lichtenstein version of the map of Napoleon's grand adventure in Russia, except this time the army gets bigger. :v:

This border adjustment is zero sum! Both countries lose and gain 239 m².

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

dublish posted:

But the sun wasn't made until the fourth day.
I knew I should've read past the third day when I was double-checking Genesis.

Platystemon posted:

Well, you've got my vote.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

The month names aren't wrong because of the vanity months, the mistake was moving the year start date to the middle of winter for some reason.

The calendar was changed for a pragmatic reason - to make conquering Hispania less of a hassle.

Republican Rome's highest political office was the two consuls, who were elected on a yearly basis. These were the guys who made the final desicions on who to fight, how to fight them etc. They were usually also the ones leading the largest armies. Once Rome had started expanding outside of Italy this system began having some issues, especially once they began having yearly campaigns in Hispania (Spain and Portugal today).

The consuls would begin ruling in March, since that was when the year began back then. They would then spend a couple of months getting organized back in Italy. This took some time, since Hispania was an overseas province and getting a large enough fleet ready with supplies and everything was expensive. Then once they got to Hispania they had to spend a bunch of time on convincing/bribing/threathening their local allies to get ready. So it was not uncommon for the year's consuls to find that they had barely gotten started in Hispania before their local allies started leaving for the autumn harvest, and their own soldieers getting worried that they were going to have to spend the winter overseas.

Everntually they said "gently caress it, the year starts two months earlier now!". That way the new consuls could spend the winter months on getting everything organized and then head out in early spring.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Wait'll you see what we did to "ROYGBIV"
Do not ask what they used to say for the resistor color code mnemonic.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
If we're determining the optimal length for a secular week then obviously the most important thing is that a year should be composed of an integer number of weeks. So during a normal year weeks should be 1, 5, 73, or 365 days long - I like 5.

In leap years our options are more extensive: 1, 2, 3, 6, 61, 122, 183, or 366 days. A lot of you might go for 6 but I like the 3-day weeks - they're punchy, they'll get people moving.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If we're determining the optimal length for a secular week then obviously the most important thing is that a year should be composed of an integer number of weeks. So during a normal year weeks should be 1, 5, 73, or 365 days long - I like 5.

In leap years our options are more extensive: 1, 2, 3, 6, 61, 122, 183, or 366 days. A lot of you might go for 6 but I like the 3-day weeks - they're punchy, they'll get people moving.

5 days week with 2 days off?
and in leap years 3 days week with 2 off?

where can I vote for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Guavanaut posted:

Do not ask what they used to say for the resistor color code mnemonic.

That was far worse than I'd anticipated