Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to eat my sister in law’s “home grown, home cooked meal” after the invited me over?

Love the confluence of 6 foot party sub guy and distrust off anything natural.

Does he seriously believe that 'food' travels down a conveyor belt in front of an inspector? And not just "you can only have one rat tail per 1 ton food"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to eat my sister in law’s “home grown, home cooked meal” after the invited me over?

I thought from the first bit that it was gonna be something like the SIL having a terrible kitchen with unwashed chicken poo poo eggs or something. OP played themselves, fresh garden produce and home canned stuff is awesome. One of the things I miss most about living at home was being out in the country with chickens and a big garden, so much better than eggs and veggies from the store.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
OP's home kitchen would certainly and hilariously fail even the most surface level health inspection.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

quote:

There were no inspections done on this food; before, during and after it was was grown. There was no FDA to check out she cooled and it picked it. I flat out told her that I was not going to eat it.

The perfect revenge would be to educate this guy about how little the FDA actually does - they just do occasional random inspections, it's not like they check every single tomato you find at a store. And I'm not even sure what vegetables he's expecting to be cooled, most vegetables last longer in the fridge but don't need to be refrigerated, especially if you're going to pick them and eat them the same day.

Guy would probably not be able to eat anything anywhere after that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hughlander posted:

You know those people who only eat at Mcdonald's when they go anywhere? This guy, right here.

Also I guarantee that those backyard raised chickens come from a far cleaner environment than whatever factory farmed stuff you find at the store.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

The perfect revenge would be to educate this guy about how little the FDA actually does - they just do occasional random inspections, it's not like they check every single tomato you find at a store. And I'm not even sure what vegetables he's expecting to be cooled, most vegetables last longer in the fridge but don't need to be refrigerated, especially if you're going to pick them and eat them the same day.

Guy would probably not be able to eat anything anywhere after that.
I don't think the FDA inspects chicken at all actually

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought from the first bit that it was gonna be something like the SIL having a terrible kitchen with unwashed chicken poo poo eggs or something. OP played themselves, fresh garden produce and home canned stuff is awesome. One of the things I miss most about living at home was being out in the country with chickens and a big garden, so much better than eggs and veggies from the store.

It's a fundamental misunderstanding of the reason for food safety laws to exist in the first place - food is not inherently unsafe, what's inherently unsafe is the industrial production of food for profit. Food safety laws in Europe and N. America came into being in the second half of 19th century because the majority of people no longer ate food produced by themselves or people in their communities, and had to rely on for-profit businesses to an extent never before seen.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mystes posted:

Right - rules for meat (including poultry) and eggs are set by the USDA, not FDA. USDA does have inspections for poultry products sold interstate, though: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/inspection/inspection-programs/inspection-poultry-products

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

He’s saying she is thin despite all the eating, due to her condition. At least that’s how it reads to me.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

The 'no garden' guy reminded me of an anecdote from an Isaac Asimov book. He grew up in NYC and pretty much always lived in a big city. Once some friends invited him to their house, and offered to make dinner with veggies they had grown themselves. Without thinking he responded "Eat something from the DIRT?" and they laughed and assumed he was making a joke - but he actually had to make himself calm down and accept that yes, vegetables come out of the dirt.

mystes posted:

It looks like they do on their website: https://www.fda.gov/food/meat-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/fda-regulated-meats-and-meat-products-human-consumption

EDIT: Oh, you're separating USDA and FDA, I figured the guy was just using FDA as shorthand for 'federal inspector'.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to use the take-me-home outfit my father's girlfriend bought for my daughter?

quote:

I'm pregnant with my second child, a girl due next month.

When my older son was born, my husband and I got him a "take-me-home outfit" to leave the hospital in. Choosing it became a very special memory for us, and we decided we'd do the same with whatever future children we had.

Last month, my father's girlfriend of two years (I'll call her "Betty") presented me with a onesie for my daughter. She specifically said that she wanted me to use it as the take-me-home outfit.

Betty had expressed the desire to buy that outfit three times since I'd announced my pregnancy. On all of those occasions, I explained that me and my husband wanted to pick it and buy it ourselves, and that choosing the first clothes our daughter would wear at home meant a lot to us both. When Betty gave me the onesie, she jokingly said she was "saving us the effort."

I sincerely thanked Betty, but told her my husband and I still wanted to pick the take-me-home outfit ourselves. I don't think she took it seriously, as her only reply was that we wouldn't find anything cuter.

I'll be honest. I really don't like the outfit she bought. But even if I did, I wouldn't use it as the take-me-home. My husband and I were really looking forward to getting it ourselves, and even our son wanted to help us choose his sister's "special clothes."

A little under two weeks ago, we finally picked the outfit. It's a light yellow one that we fell in love with.

My father and Betty came over for lunch on Saturday. Before they left, my son excitedly showed them the outfit. When Betty asked about the one she'd gifted me, I reminded her that we'd wanted to choose the baby's take-me-home ourselves. The onesie she got me will be kept with the rest of my daughter's clothes.

She didn't say anything. My father called me the next day to tell me I'd made Betty very upset with my "attitude." He said that she put a lot of care into the outfit she'd picked, and it was petty and inconsiderate of me to dismiss her generosity.

Pretty much everyone that knows about this is on my side, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my doubts. I also recently found out the onesie Betty bought was VERY expensive, so maybe that's what's making me doubt myself. That said, I did express how much this meant to me and my husband, and I told her not to buy the outfit several times.

AITA?

I think it's great that people keep inventing very special memory moments that conveniently involve consumerism

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hughlander posted:

AITAH - My ex-fiancee tried to get my wife to cheat on me

This guy sounds tremendously up tight and boring.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

The 'no garden' guy reminded me of an anecdote from an Isaac Asimov book. He grew up in NYC and pretty much always lived in a big city. Once some friends invited him to their house, and offered to make dinner with veggies they had grown themselves. Without thinking he responded "Eat something from the DIRT?" and they laughed and assumed he was making a joke - but he actually had to make himself calm down and accept that yes, vegetables come out of the dirt.

Wait until he finds out where eggs come from.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

This dude is clearly resentful that despite her illness she is thin rather than having full-blown skeletal supermodel physique.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to use the take-me-home outfit my father's girlfriend bought for my daughter?

I think it's great that people keep inventing very special memory moments that conveniently involve consumerism
I absolutely don't think the OP is the rear end in a top hat here, and if they have their own preference the father's girlfriend should respect it, but on the other hand who gives the slightest poo poo about what the outfit is and if they're going to blow $140 on a dumb special outfit maybe it would be easier to just use it instead of getting into a pointless argument about it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Shanghaied posted:

Wait until he finds out where eggs come from.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mystes posted:

I absolutely don't think the OP is the rear end in a top hat here, and if they have their own preference the father's girlfriend should respect it, but on the other hand who gives the slightest poo poo about what the outfit is and if they're going to blow $140 on a dumb special outfit maybe it would be easier to just use it instead of getting into a pointless argument about it?
Yes, they should avoid rocking the boat.

(this is sarcasm)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

This dude is clearly resentful that despite her illness she is thin rather than having full-blown skeletal supermodel physique.

Obviously OP has not included too many specifics, but there are a number of illnesses and syndromes that have lipodystrophy as a symptom and most of them include other body irregularities that would be a deal-breaker for someone superficial enough to resent someone for not being a supermodel.

He's an rear end in a top hat, but I don't think he's that particular type of rear end in a top hat.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The gently caress is the point of a "very expensive" onesie? I tried knitting one once and the baby doubled in size during the process.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Mx. posted:

this really meant a lot to her husband

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Now there's a family that'd fit right in here.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

OP's home kitchen would certainly and hilariously fail even the most surface level health inspection.

Everyone's home kitchen would spectacularly fail a real health inspection.

Do you wash your hands in your kitchen sink, the same one where you might rinse vegetables? Failed.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hughlander posted:

What an absolute loving buffoon.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whom amongst us has not destroyed our laptop because our jokes were so bad

:sadpeanut:

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

and here i thought this was a new spin on "gently caress-me pants" :(

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Rescue Toaster posted:

Do you wash your hands in your kitchen sink, the same one where you might rinse vegetables? Failed.

I wash my hands and food in the same sink I pee in as God intended.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

I simply don't eat vegetables or wash my hands. Checkmate, FDA

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITAH for blocking my ex when she broke up with me?

quote:

I made this account today because my sister and parents are acting like I'm in the wrong and I genuinely don't see how.

My (19M) ex-girlfriend (20F) of 3 years broke up with me sunday night over text. She told me that she felt like my lack of ambition was holding her back and she needed to move on with her life because she felt like I didn't value her. When she sent me that I just sent "Okay" and blocked her and fell asleep shortly after.

I did not block her friends and had loads of messages yesterday morning when I woke up. They were asking me to unblock her and to talk to her. My sister (20F) is also friends with my ex-girlfriend and she told me that my ex was hurt by my sudden blocking and that she still wanted to talk to me for closure and wanted to make sure I was okay.

I told my sister that I was okay and that I didn't want to talk to my ex but would like it if she could tell her I appreciate her checking on me. My sister was not happy with this and told me that it was a hard decision for my ex and she just wants to talk to me. I again told her I was fine and that I'd rather not.

My sister then told me that I'm acting "insanely calm" for being broken up with someone I was with for three years. I again told her I was fine. She asked me if I cried and I told her that I didn't and I just fell asleep listening to music.

My sister told me that she's concerned about my "lack of emotion" and told me that my behavior isn't normal. I told her that I'm not obligated to cry over anything and I think it's weird that she was acting like I was.

My sister once again told me that it wouldn't hurt to have one conversation with my ex because she was still "worried" about me and wanted to stay friends. I once again told her that I was fine and didn't want to talk to her. She told me that my lack of compassion is "psychotic". That pissed me off so I just started ignoring her and she eventually left me alone.

This morning, when I woke up, my sister sent me abunch of text messages again so I just blocked her and because of this she went and told our parents and they are upset with me for blocking my ex without communicating first. They said that we've been together long enough and they thought of her as a second daughter.

I was just aggravated at this point and told them that I'd appreciate if they mind their business but they didn't stop so I told them that I wouldn't hesitate to block them too if they continue which caused them to stop.

They apologized to me and told me that they didn't mean anyharm but just felt like it was a little "inconsiderate" of me to just block her with out talking about it first but they won't press me to talk to her if I don't want too.

Together for 3 years, dumped via text and now needs to meet up. I'm smelling tik-tok backfire. Either way just lol at "We were together 1/6th of my life, she dumped me so I just said ok went to sleep." He'll be fine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

"I'm breaking up with you because I need to move on with my life. Wait, no, you're not allowed to move on with your life."

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I don't wash my vegetables, that's what the FDA is for to keep the dirt out of them in the first place.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

"You're supposed to wail and rend your garments every second of every day for six months at minimum when you're broken up with! You're an inhuman monster!"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

mystes posted:

"I'm breaking up with you because I need to move on with my life. Wait, no, you're not allowed to move on with your life."

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the lack of response would probably be concerning if they weren't teenagers.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Not really. If you break up with someone you don't get to dictate how they respond to it. The seeming desperate backpedaling does make it look like a relationship test backfire, though, I'm inclined to agree.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hughlander posted:

Together for 3 years, dumped via text and now needs to meet up. I'm smelling tik-tok backfire. Either way just lol at "We were together 1/6th of my life, she dumped me so I just said ok went to sleep." He'll be fine.
It could also be that the guy she was trying to get with dumped her (or wasn't interested) and she's scrambling to climb back onto the boat she just jumped off of but the speed with which she went from "you're dumped" to "wait, don't you want to talk about this?!?" makes me agree that yeah it's a TikTok relationship "test" gone sideways.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Barehanded Brother posted:

I don't wash my vegetables, that's what the FDA is for to keep the dirt out of them in the first place.

I love how the FDA makes sure all my oysters are nice and crunchy. I believe you call that "rustic".

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I had a lady freak out on me after she broke up with me and I was all "OK bye!" Hundreds of unread messages and I eventually blocked her and her friends. I'm not gonna put up with abusive Fakeup bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not sure if it's TikTok or romcom poisoning, then again they're basically the same poo poo. The drama addicts alienate everyone who isn't one of them eventually.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hughlander posted:

That American Dad episode wheee Stan keeps snapping his fingers and saying “Gone!” to ignore people. This kid will end up naked in a grocery store parking lot at this pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah I think Elijah had the same reaction in the caves of steel.