Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

smellmycheese posted:

the online gambling leeches who corrupted my wife

I call them Gamblor!

(sorry about your situation smc, sounds like an absolute bastard of a thing to have happened to you both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Got my weed today, it cost about £250 for a zoom call then another £240 ish for my 40g perscription, i get day to day weed and a heavy hitter for night time.

Its a diffrent league to street weed with regaurds to the terror attacks and its nice and uplifting.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

smellmycheese posted:

Oh and I’m gonna have to go bankrupt due to the online gambling leeches who corrupted my wife. Anyone got any experience or advice?

Nothing legal (in both legal advice and giving advice that’s illegal)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Marmaduke! posted:

Am I misreading this, or is that guy actually trying to protect whistleblowers? Just seems pretty opposite to what you'd normally expect especially from a Tory MP

Maybe but probably not really? He previously told parliament that there was no evidence of war crimes by the UK special forces in Afghanistan. Then more recently he was called before an enquiry into those alleged crimes and basically said "yeah some mates of mine in the SAS told me they know about crimes that happened" but refused to name them.

He says that he is protecting whistleblowers who did not themselves commit any crimes and spoke to him in confidence, with the implication that they are afraid of retaliation if their names are revealed. It's possible that's true, but it's also possible he is protecting people involved in some pretty brutal atrocities. We don't know, because these possible whistleblowers haven't actually blown the whistle to anyone except him.

We do know that he has previously done everything in his power to prevent soldiers who 100% committed some terrible crimes in Northern Ireland from being prosecuted.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

smellmycheese posted:

Oh and I’m gonna have to go bankrupt due to the online gambling leeches who corrupted my wife. Anyone got any experience or advice?

I have sent you a PM. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

When I was much younger I assumed that 'traditional Catholics' must just be people with strong opinions about Latin rites and which altar pieces go where

Was raised catholic, and was an altar boy in the late 80s.
And we had a bizarre priest, going on 90 himself, who would say latin mass every chance he got. Especially Devotions, which was a weekly saying of the rosary, usually at 7pm on a Sunday. The poo poo for the extra religious to goto.
We loving hated to be doing mass with him, as he would scowl us after if we missed our 'marks' by a few seconds because we didn't understand a loving word of it.
He was only liked by the really old, my parents said no one their age tolerated his rear end in a top hat piousness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

So, uh. IKs? Mods? He's been probed repeatedly for posting in here because he's threadbanned. You actually going to do anything about this, or?

I am not IK at the moment because every time we get a new thread I stop being IK and nobody bothers to add me back :v:

I am currently seeing if I can go the entire span of a thread without anybody noticing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Make 99 IK on April 1st.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
We had a priest for a while who would sing the Mass any chance he got. It was gorgeous but it made it take about 90 minutes and you'd hear all the old fellas sighing impatiently the moment he started.

I had to kick him out of our house at 2am one time because he was drunkenly playing the organ and having a singalong. Go home Mark I have work tomorrow :mad:

Miss him tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am now imagining that you have a full size pipe organ in your house.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

We had a priest for a while who would sing the Mass any chance he got. It was gorgeous but it made it take about 90 minutes and you'd hear all the old fellas sighing impatiently the moment he started.

I had to kick him out of our house at 2am one time because he was drunkenly playing the organ and having a singalong. Go home Mark I have work tomorrow :mad:

Miss him tbh

Our local priest was very fond of the golf, he could do a Sunday Mass in 25 minutes if he was desperate to get to the green.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Our local priest was nice and seemed quite progressive looking back. Never heard of any noncing which is nice. Hope you’re doing alright Reverend Lambert, your assemblies were more fun than Mrs. Stinson’s, though less hinged on bizarre and physically demonstrated metaphors.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

It's crazy how far Paul Mason has fallen. I remember his book Why It's Kicking Off Everywhere was genuinely a good read on the 'arab spring', had legit good insights on globalism and had an excellent title. Now he's not even fully establishment, it feels like he's patheticallly begging to be allowed into the establishment?

The fact that the establishment media went so hard on fake antisemitism claims to shut down the lefty populist Corbyn movement has hosed up any actual discourse on the problem so badly, it's still completely in-group vs out-group judgements.

On a pro-Gaza march last weekend I heard some genuinely bad stuff though, not making any distinction between Israelis/IDF actions and Jews broadly. No space for that conversation though, and cunts like Mason aren't helping!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I ordered some food 45 minutes ago, and 30 minutes ago the driver was 2 minutes from my place, but I'm now stuck "Waiting for an update..."

Yeah, me too. Except I'm hungry.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Maybe if you'd asked for the food nicely rather than ordering it? Manners cost nothing

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Sad Panda posted:

I'm talking with my form about cost of living crisis and wealth inequality tomorrow. They're 16. It seems like a good opportunity to show some short videos about this. Would love to hear if anything good come to mind? Talking about inheritance and how lots of people get their money from parents seems important and any numbers or catchy things related to that also sounds like it could be useful.

I only watch extremely long videos, but this has good stuff in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7nFA19Gzrw

smellmycheese posted:

So you can get speed for ADHD, weed for anxiety. When are we going to get prescription cocaine for social introversion?

Can't help with cocaine, but the US should be getting MDMA-supported therapy soon. This book's very interesting, gives the whole history of the drug and what's going on now

https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/i-feel-love-9781635579581/

I'm sure the UK will build an MDMA-proof wall and make David Nutt pay for it, rather than adopt this

(Incidentally, apparently it's called Molly these days when used recreationally, which sounds like something the media would make up, that the kids are "totally calling it" now)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
4 million hours of raw sewage discharge.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...P=share_btn_url

I didn't know GBeebies had been on the air that long

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Bobstar posted:

(Incidentally, apparently it's called Molly these days when used recreationally, which sounds like something the media would make up, that the kids are "totally calling it" now)

Only in the US I think? My friends call it Mandy or MD

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Please don't talk about drugs in here, I've got my future political career to think about.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bobstar posted:

I only watch extremely long videos, but this has good stuff in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7nFA19Gzrw

That was a good watch, thank you for that. I'll bring up how terrible Monopoly is (which I'm sure they can get behind) as that idea of rich get richer and poor get squashed without getting very lucky.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Perhaps Paul Mason should grow a gigantic pair of comedy breasts in order to be taken seriously as a political force

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's days like these that I feel like I ought to do a job that's useful to society, like become a 999 call handler or something.

The salary starts at £22k which once again seems like we as a country are paying minimum wage for dealing with people on the absolute worst day of their lives, 24/7/365.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

killerwhat posted:

Only in the US I think? My friends call it Mandy or MD

ya it’s a us thing and has been called that ever since i was a teen show goer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lady Demelza posted:

It's days like these that I feel like I ought to do a job that's useful to society, like become a 999 call handler or something.

The salary starts at £22k which once again seems like we as a country are paying minimum wage for dealing with people on the absolute worst day of their lives, 24/7/365.

more power to you if you can do it but i hear it is definitely an extremely stressful job

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahahaha ha ha hahahah ahahahhahahaha hahahahah
https://twitter.com/GullisJonathan/status/1772688529400713359

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

mediaphage posted:

more power to you if you can do it but i hear it is definitely an extremely stressful job

And a job that I used to do about 13 years ago.

It is unbelievably stressful, never knowing what you will be dealing with when you get the beep in your ear.

You will hear people having the worst day of their lives and it will really do a number on your psyche.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lady Demelza posted:

In 2024 I’m kind of impressed we haven’t rushed to replace 999 with the cheapest possible chatgpt knockoff yet

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

♪ 0118, 999, 88199, 9119, 725...3 ♪

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

mediaphage posted:

I was an ambulance control centre dude for a while.

poo poo hours, poo poo pay, poo poo job, co-workers are just the weirdest people [and not in a good way], every call has the chance to just loving wreck your psyche and all the managers are fuckin' pricks.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Because it often get asks when people find out what I used to do, this was my worst call I took.

The call was around about midnight. A call came through from a mother who had just walked into a kitchen where her sons were fighting. The older brother grabbed a knife and stuck it into the throat of the younger brother and ran off.

The mother is on the phone to me with her son in her arms. What I needed above everything else was to know where she was. The mother is an absolute mess and I have to use all the techniques I can to get whatever I can so I can get someone to her.

What makes this call the worst call for me though was that I could hear that younger brother choking to death and drowning in his own blood. Those sounds will stick with me forever.

So what do you do after a call like that? You hit the ready button and prepare for the next one.

On a side note, there was something that I took from the role that I honestly think should be done everywhere.

Because this was a legal thing and because there is every likelyhood that my log of the call could be used as evidence, when writing the details of the call we were to never used abbreviations (ACAB), slang (The Rozzers) or censor any words (F***ing C***) because a lawyer could argue that something else was said or intended (Farming Cows).

So even now I tend to write everything in full so I can ensure that whoever reads it understands exactly what I was trying to say.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

smellmycheese posted:

So you can get speed for ADHD, weed for anxiety. When are we going to get prescription cocaine for social introversion?
You can also get OTC ethanol for social anxiety

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Hahahahaha ha ha hahahah ahahahhahahaha hahahahah
https://twitter.com/GullisJonathan/status/1772688529400713359

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love too announce my appointment to a role by saying I will be doing absolutely nothing different in either planning or execution from the previous guy but everything will turn out great now I'm in charge.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Love too announce my appointment to a role by saying I will be doing absolutely nothing different in either planning or execution from the previous guy.

sick of you bragging about being IK

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Love too announce my appointment to a role by saying I will be doing absolutely nothing different in either planning or execution from the previous guy but everything will turn out great now I'm in charge.

Thought for a second you had been made Mod. :kiddo:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Getting sick of them all saying "sticking to the plan" over and over and over again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

Thought for a second you had been made Mod. :kiddo:

I am not being a moderator, I don't want to be IK but I flat out refuse to be a moderator. If they make me mod I am going to be such a bad mod they take it off me again immediately.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Getting sick of them all saying "sticking to the plan" over and over and over again.

Pretty sure the Cylons had a much better plan than the Tories. :psylon:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I am not being a moderator, I don't want to be IK but I flat out refuse to be a moderator. If they make me mod I am going to be such a bad mod they take it off me again immediately.

What's the difference between an IK & a mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

I am going to be such a bad mod they take it off me again immediately.

Great idea, now let me take a big swig of this water before I check Something Awful's record on handling bad mods