Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DarkHorse posted:

In WWII they were able to construct bridges across rivers that could handle tanks in half an hour. Granted those bridges weren't required to also allow shipping, and I doubt they're as wide as the bay span, and it was using equipment already prepared for that purpose, but stuff can be built fast. There's lots of tons of steel in a hazardous and unstable configuration with dangerous currents that need to be removed first, too.

If cost was no obstacle and no effort was spared while still doing it safely I think it could theoretically be done in a few months. More likely I expect they get a survey done in a few weeks, they clear a narrow channel that allows partial operation in a month or two, and clear it out completely after a year. It'll probably take another year or two for a replacement bridge to be completed, assuming no holdups.

A few months would almost certainly require specific legislation to bypass the myriad of hiring, safety, environmental, labor, public comment, etc laws that didn't exist in the 40s. It would also probably rely on some real luck in supplies although I guess if cost is truly unlimited then you can basically seize anything you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

A couple of years would be very fast for America, but there are a lot of other countries that can put infrastructure up like that real fast. Some of them are shoddy but there are ones that are done well and speedily too.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the key bridge took about five years to build originally so that might be a good figure to ballpark a new one

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think it also will depend on whether they just have to replace the span that collapsed or the entire thing if the ends that are still standing were structurally damaged or not suitable to build back onto.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

lobster shirt posted:

the key bridge took about five years to build originally so that might be a good figure to ballpark a new one

I believe it. In December, one of RI's most important bridges, the Washington Bridge, was discovered to have structural damage that led to the immediate closure of the westbound lane of traffic. The bridge is 10 lanes and is the main thoroughfare between Providence and East Providence. The damage is bad enough and in a key structural support that the bridge will need to be demolished and rebuilt.

That rebuild is planned to take 2.5 years to complete and is only ~2000 ft across. Compare that to the SFK bridge, which, according to Google, is (was) 57546 feet. 5 years sounds optimistic to me.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Retro42 posted:

I'm also curious what kind of timeline is there to clear the debris and reopen the harbor. Unless it's changed I'm fairly certain every major port (and all the docked ships) in the Baltimore area are locked behind that bridge debris until it's cleared.

Per local news there's only two ships stuck at the port, and a lot of the auto manufacturers' docks are farther down the bay, and still accessible. Also from looking at maps it seems the main logistics hub is also south of the bridge (but not sure if it's accessible with the exclusion zone). It's still a big deal that the main port is inaccessible and I can't see them taking very long after SAR is completed to start clearing the channel. They likely already have vessels on the way that will be able to move the debris; one of those assets is already there, on the inside, for other reasons:

quote:

That list includes the Dale Pyatt, the largest crane dredge in the Western Hemisphere, which was used to help free the Ever Forward, a container ship that ran aground and was stuck in the bay for more than a month in 2022. The Dale Pyatt is owned by Cashman Dredging & Marine Contracting Company and is currently anchored in Curtis Bay, Doyle said.

Velocity Raptor posted:

That rebuild is planned to take 2.5 years to complete and is only ~2000 ft across. Compare that to the SFK bridge, which, according to Google, is (was) 57546 feet. 5 years sounds optimistic to me.

That figure is inclusive of all the roads leading up to the bridge; the part over the water is about a mile, with the truss portion about 1/2 a mile and the center truss between the pilings was 1/4 mile. Even if you put the pilings on shore you're looking at a span just over a mile.

Given projected increases in traffic for the area (especially trucks, with the sparrows point logistics hub expanding rapidly) I wouldn't be surprised if they tore everything down and replaced it with one that has the capacity for 6 or more lanes. 695 leading up to the bridge is 2 lanes in both directions but it expands out to 3 lanes not much farther west (after the curtis creek drawbridge, which I learned today is technically part of the key bridge complex). The extra capacity would also take some load off the tunnels which are a bottleneck that's about to get much worse.

That logistics hub is the former site of the beth steel plant. I couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other with a lot of research, but I bet that plant contributed to building the original bridge. Not that you'd make the replacement a steel truss bridge, most likely cable-stayed, or if you wanted to put all the pilings on land you might need a suspension. Clearing and opening the channel is going to be the top priority though, and any replacement bridge is also going to need to be built around the channel being active, with a lot more shipping traffic than there was when the bridge was originally built.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
It is going to be impossible to even get an estimate of the time to get a new bridge up until they can inspect the damage to all the remaining parts that didn't fall down. There is a major difference between just having to replace the main span and having severe structural damage to all the supports leading up to where it was that need to be removed and have all new structures built.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Redredging the water chanel should be a relatively quick process

Building a new bridge will take eons

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xerol posted:

Per local news there's only two ships stuck at the port, and a lot of the auto manufacturers' docks are farther down the bay, and still accessible.

Seagirt and Dundalk are a decently sized Ro-Ro terminal and container terminal. There is a coal terminal and several general purpose terminals that are also cut off.

The place that is the logistics hub is Sparrows Point, those warehouse facilities would have used the container terminal that is now cut off.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I saw a bunch of docks at sparrows point but wasn't sure if they were actually in use or being used by the hub.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xerol posted:

I saw a bunch of docks at sparrows point but wasn't sure if they were actually in use or being used by the hub.

Those are where the iron ore and other bulk commodities for the steel plant were discharged. They could also load coils / pipe / plates but most of that was by vessel gear. I used to do draft surveys at Sparrows Point for the ore discharges from Brazil. I also used to take meter readings on steel coils for export to the EU.

The largest heated warehouse in the US used to be out there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't know about you guys but speedrunning repairing/rebuilding the bridge sounds like a horrible loving thing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’ll be years. The poster who talked about the Sunshine Skyway rebuild has the correct take.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've dabbled in bridge engineering and it's difficult. You have to make sure the cars all get over before it glows red and breaks and sometimes you have to make ramps or loops to really make it look cool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Push El Burrito posted:

I've dabbled in bridge engineering and it's difficult. You have to make sure the cars all get over before it glows red and breaks and sometimes you have to make ramps or loops to really make it look cool.
Make the bridge into a car rollercoaster

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

We can not miss this opportunity to create the life-sized Hot Wheels tracks Baltimore deserves.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Get Hot Wheels to sponsor the replacement and make the whole bridge look like their plastic orange track.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

In WWII they were able to construct bridges across rivers that could handle tanks in half an hour. Granted those bridges weren't required to also allow shipping, and I doubt they're as wide as the bay span, and it was using equipment already prepared for that purpose, but stuff can be built fast. There's lots of tons of steel in a hazardous and unstable configuration with dangerous currents that need to be removed first, too.

If cost was no obstacle and no effort was spared while still doing it safely I think it could theoretically be done in a few months. More likely I expect they get a survey done in a few weeks, they clear a narrow channel that allows partial operation in a month or two, and clear it out completely after a year. It'll probably take another year or two for a replacement bridge to be completed, assuming no holdups.

I'm pretty sure those WW2 tank bridges were only temporary structures deployed from vehicles and not actual bridges, only able to span very short crossings.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mutata posted:

Get Hot Wheels to sponsor the replacement and make the whole bridge look like their plastic orange track.

Only if they put a totally badass jump in the middle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kchama posted:

I'm pretty sure those WW2 tank bridges were only temporary structures deployed from vehicles and not actual bridges, only able to span very short crossings.

They were either that or pontoon bridges, which run along the surface and aren’t compatible with ship traffic

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

haveblue posted:

Only if they put a totally badass jump in the middle

Hot Wheels can surely afford 2 bridges with jump ramps that cross each other mid-air

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kchama posted:

They also weren't engineered to handle thousands of vehicles per day for decades, it's a very different engineering problem

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

This accident is like a perfect encapsulation of everything taught in first year engineering classes. I guarantee that video will be shown for the next fifty years in every ENG102 room directly after the Tacoma Narrows vid.

Xerol posted:

Given projected increases in traffic for the area (especially trucks, with the sparrows point logistics hub expanding rapidly) I wouldn't be surprised if they tore everything down and replaced it with one that has the capacity for 6 or more lanes. 695 leading up to the bridge is 2 lanes in both directions but it expands out to 3 lanes not much farther west (after the curtis creek drawbridge, which I learned today is technically part of the key bridge complex). The extra capacity would also take some load off the tunnels which are a bottleneck that's about to get much worse.

That logistics hub is the former site of the beth steel plant. I couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other with a lot of research, but I bet that plant contributed to building the original bridge. Not that you'd make the replacement a steel truss bridge, most likely cable-stayed, or if you wanted to put all the pilings on land you might need a suspension. Clearing and opening the channel is going to be the top priority though, and any replacement bridge is also going to need to be built around the channel being active, with a lot more shipping traffic than there was when the bridge was originally built.
If I was the owner of a consulting firm in the mid-Atlantic region, I'd be paying every drafter and engineer in the company overtime money to come up with a proposal for a modern suspension bridge of eight lanes or more. Huge bonuses if you can make it aesthetically striking.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Velocity Raptor posted:

I believe it. In December, one of RI's most important bridges, the Washington Bridge, was discovered to have structural damage that led to the immediate closure of the westbound lane of traffic. The bridge is 10 lanes and is the main thoroughfare between Providence and East Providence. The damage is bad enough and in a key structural support that the bridge will need to be demolished and rebuilt.

That's over 10 miles, that really doesn't sound right. Maybe the on ramps and stuff but that body of water isn't 10 miles wide.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

cr0y posted:

That's over 10 miles, that really doesn't sound right. Maybe the on ramps and stuff but that body of water isn't 10 miles wide.

Key bridge was like a mile and a half long,

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Shamelessly stealing this from the GBS thread. I actually live in this district so I'm over the loving moon.

I wanna temper some expectations that while it's pretty significant in the swing, but for standards, the Huntsville-Madison area that she represents is pretty middle to upper class and extremely progressive for the standards of the rest of the state. It's got the University of Alabama here, it's got the space and rocket center and NASA, the redstone arsenal and then just all residences otherwise.

Still that is quite a swing, and in that key suburb demographic that everyone is chasing this election year.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zero_Grade posted:

This accident is like a perfect encapsulation of everything taught in first year engineering classes. I guarantee that video will be shown for the next fifty years in every ENG102 room directly after the Tacoma Narrows vid.

???

This was an accident. A boat steered itself into a bridge. How is that remotely comparable to a bridge that was designed poorly?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

???

This was an accident. A boat steered itself into a bridge. How is that remotely comparable to a bridge that was designed poorly?

The bridge should have been engineered to jump out of the way.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

???

Because you engineer to resist accidents too. You can learn a lot from this sort of incident, that you really don't want to learn. You might not be able to stop it from breaking or collapsing, but you could make it harder for a hit to knock it down, or just collapse less dangerously.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kchama posted:

Because you engineer to resist accidents too. You can learn a lot from this sort of incident, that you really don't want to learn. You might not be able to stop it from breaking or collapsing, but you could make it harder for a hit to knock it down, or just collapse less dangerously.

Engineering bridges to resist getting rammed by fully loaded container ships is not the obvious right answer here. Container ships are also way bigger now than when the bridge was built in the 70s.

I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't have been done, but I don't agree it's first year engineering stuff.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Shamelessly stealing this from the GBS thread. I actually live in this district so I'm over the loving moon.

I wanna temper some expectations that while it's pretty significant in the swing, but for standards, the Huntsville-Madison area that she represents is pretty middle to upper class and extremely progressive for the standards of the rest of the state. It's got the University of Alabama here, it's got the space and rocket center and NASA, the redstone arsenal and then just all residences otherwise.

Still that is quite a swing, and in that key suburb demographic that everyone is chasing this election year.

after 2016 nothing is a sure thing, and the recent dem wins have been on low turnout, but i sure as hell would rather be the party winning upset contests in an election year than the one losing them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
6 people still missing, and presumed dead, from the bridge accident. Everyone else has been accounted for.

Nobody has been confirmed dead, but Coast Guard officials said the 6 people they haven't found (all bridge workers) have been gone long enough to assume they are dead and are calling off the search.

quote:

The Coast Guard ended its search late Tuesday for six construction workers who were on a bridge in Baltimore when it was rammed by a massive cargo ship and collapsed into the Patapsco River.

“At this point, we do not believe we are going to find any of these individuals still alive,” Rear Adm. Shannon Gilreath said at a news conference just after dusk, citing the cold water temperatures and the length of time since the overnight collapse.

Biden says his "expectation" is that the federal government will cover the entire cost rebuilding and assist Maryland. He called on congress to pass funding to do so.

The NTSB is taking possession of the maintenance records and audio recordings from the ship and are studying whether the bridge's design contributed to the collapse or not.

Boats bound for Baltimore are being diverted to other ports and they don't expect many issues with that, but the logistics of the trucks that transport the cargo from the ships could be chaotic.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/26/us/baltimore-bridge-collapse

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 27, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Engineering bridges to resist getting rammed by fully loaded container ships is not the obvious right answer here. Container ships are also way bigger now than when the bridge was built in the 70s.

I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't have been done, but I don't agree it's first year engineering stuff.

I never said was the 'obvious right answer', just that learning to engineer structures to RESIST is pretty important.

And no it's not first year engineering stuff but it's still something you'd show to get across what a disastrous collision looks like.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kchama posted:

learning to engineer structures to RESIST is pretty important.

I don't think it's really within the realm of physical possibility to resist something like this.

Unless you can build the foundations more out of the way I guess.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kchama posted:

I never said was the 'obvious right answer', just that learning to engineer structures to RESIST is pretty important.

And no it's not first year engineering stuff but it's still something you'd show to get across what a disastrous collision looks like.

you teach it in schools like a Kobayashi Maru

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I don't think it's really within the realm of physical possibility to resist something like this.

That doesn't mean you can't learn how to build a better building to resist impacts from it. That's why people study disasters, even ones that couldn't be prevented otherwise.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

“Resist” is a complex word and doesn’t necessarily mean “being able to withstand”, it could be some way to stop boats ever hitting a support structure somehow. Or loving magnets or some poo poo, suspension bridges were magic until some brilliant people invented them.

It doesn’t really matter how “possible” it is to solve anyway. Handing students interesting but unsolved problems to look at is a really good teaching strategy and this is a particularly stark example for engineering. The best way to get someone (at least a little bit more) interested in math is to explain Goldbach’s conjecture to them.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The bridge already wasn't optimally designed since it's about 50 years old in the part that collapsed. There aren't going to be new discoveries from this because it was already outdated. Finding flaws in modern technology can actually be instructive.

Or to use a topical analogy, watching The Beast burn down isn't going to revolutionize rollercoaster design.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 27, 2024

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just forget about a bridge and put a big ramp on each side, with a sign telling drivers what speed range they need to be in to reach the other side without overshooting the landing ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
imo declaring that this incident is going to be taught in entry-level physics classes to the same level of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is dumb as hell. The basic forces involved are well known and the sheer momentum of a fully loaded container ship is not something that any kind of clever engineering is going to "resist" outside of already known methods (like "try and put some land in front of it" or simply "don't have a fully loaded cargo vessel crash into your bridge.") You may as well show a video of someone getting shot in the back of the head to first-year med students - there's not much in either case one can reasonably do to prevent the nigh-inevitable result. The reason why the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is often taught is because it's an example of what not to do, a cautionary tale of hubris and unexpected forces working against the original design. Those elements just don't exist in this case — and while I'm sure some good professors could use this tragedy as a way to create classroom discussion, there's countless examples in history of these kinds of events happening, and nothing really makes this particular collapse more special or interesting above those other incidents.