Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

For the Three Body Problem Fermi Paradox, there's a good Charles Pellegrino novel from the '90s called The Killing Star that covers the same sort of material but with a future humanity who has their poo poo pushed in from the first paragraph. It's pretty fun, especially as we brought back dinos and Jesus and Buddha are in space and VR games of the Titanic are a thing:

quote:

The great silence (i.e. absence of SETI signals from alien civilizations) is perhaps the strongest indicator of all that high relativistic velocities are attainable and that everybody out there knows it.

The sobering truth is that relativistic civilizations are a potential nightmare to anyone living within range of them. The problem is that objects traveling at an appreciable fraction of light speed are never where you see them when you see them (i.e., light-speed lag). Relativistic rockets, if their owners turn out to be less than benevolent, are both totally unstoppable and totally destructive. A starship weighing in at 1,500 tons (approximately the weight of a fully fueled space shuttle sitting on the launchpad) impacting an earthlike planet at "only" 30 percent of lightspeed will release 1.5 million megatons of energy -- an explosive force equivalent to 150 times today's global nuclear arsenal...

The game plan is, in its simplest terms, the relativistic inverse to the golden rule: "Do unto the other fellow as he would do unto you and do it first."

Presumably there is some sort of inhibition against killing another member of our own species, because we have to work to overcome it.

But the rules do not apply to other species. Both humans and wolves lack inhibitions against killing chickens.

It's an entirely new situation, emerging from the physical possibilities that will face any species that can overcome the natural interstellar quarantine of its solar system. The choices seem unforgiving, and the mind struggles to imagine circumstances under which an interstellar species might make contact without triggering the realization that it can't afford to be proven wrong in its fears.

They won't come to get our resources or our knowledge or our women or even because they're just mean and want power over us. They'll come to destroy us to insure their survival, even if we're no apparent threat, because species death is just too much to risk, however remote the risk...

The most humbling feature of the relativistic bomb is that even if you happen to see it coming, its exact motion and position can never be determined; and given a technology even a hundred orders of magnitude above our own, you cannot hope to intercept one of these weapons. It often happens, in these discussions, that an expression from the old west arises: "God made some men bigger and stronger than others, but Mr. Colt made all men equal." Variations on Mr. Colt's weapon are still popular today, even in a society that possesses hydrogen bombs. Similarly, no matter how advanced civilizations grow, the relativistic bomb is not likely to go away...

We ask that you try just one more thought experiment. Imagine yourself taking a stroll through Manhattan, somewhere north of 68th street, deep inside Central Park, late at night. It would be nice to meet someone friendly, but you know that the park is dangerous at night. That's when the monsters come out. There's always a strong undercurrent of drug dealings, muggings, and occasional homicides.

It is not easy to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys. They dress alike, and the weapons are concealed. The only difference is intent, and you can't read minds.

Stay in the dark long enough and you may hear an occasional distance shriek or blunder across a body.

How do you survive the night? The last thing you want to do is shout, "I'm here!" The next to last thing you want to do is reply to someone who shouts, "I'm a friend!"

What you would like to do is find a policeman, or get out of the park. But you don't want to make noise or move towards a light where you might be spotted, and it is difficult to find either a policeman or your way out without making yourself known. Your safest option is to hunker down and wait for daylight, then safely walk out.

There are, of course, a few obvious differences between Central Park and the universe.

There is no policeman.

There is no way out.

And the night never ends.

Personally, I prefer the Revelation Space trilogy take on why the universe appears quiet. Also, on the timescales that we would be talking about for such civs to pop up and colonise space at subluminal speeds using von Neumann probes etc., you can in the relative blinking of an eye take up a huge amount of resources and space. That was Fermi's whole point originally, so it's not like resource wars wouldn't be a thing if you did have many such species coming about and even just using generation ships to spread.

But naturally, there is no stealth in space and anyone who wants to take a pop at another civ is going to paint a target on themselves. Something also brought about in the original novels Liu wrote anyway, so he kinda just proved that point.

As for the show, I'm on episode five next and it's okay. I don't find it dragging, though I'm also now pondering the Tencent one even if by all measures it's probably not worth it having read the books already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just saw Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. It was a decent movie. A bit stupid in parts but overall I enjoyed it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

it is still worth watching for any Cage fans though, its a top 10 maybe even top 5 performance

Yeah Dream Scenario was a Cage showcase he really disappeared into that character. A little broad by the end but worth it for that alone.

Made me wanna rewatch Pig tho. What a great movie that is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

For the Three Body Problem Fermi Paradox, there's a good Charles Pellegrino novel from the '90s called The Killing Star that covers the same sort of material but with a future humanity who has their poo poo pushed in from the first paragraph. It's pretty fun, especially as we brought back dinos and Jesus and Buddha are in space and VR games of the Titanic are a thing:

Personally, I prefer the Revelation Space trilogy take on why the universe appears quiet. Also, on the timescales that we would be talking about for such civs to pop up and colonise space at subluminal speeds using von Neumann probes etc., you can in the relative blinking of an eye take up a huge amount of resources and space. That was Fermi's whole point originally, so it's not like resource wars wouldn't be a thing if you did have many such species coming about and even just using generation ships to spread.

But naturally, there is no stealth in space and anyone who wants to take a pop at another civ is going to paint a target on themselves. Something also brought about in the original novels Liu wrote anyway, so he kinda just proved that point.

As for the show, I'm on episode five next and it's okay. I don't find it dragging, though I'm also now pondering the Tencent one even if by all measures it's probably not worth it having read the books already.

I dont know how relevant this is but Central Park is super safe and people do help each other out if they're in trouble.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
dream scenario was a mess but i enjoyed it anyway. should have ended at the first ending

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Mr Hootington posted:

Just saw Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. It was a decent movie. A bit stupid in parts but overall I enjoyed it.

I was getting a little snoozy towards the middle, and some of the cast from the previous film turning up was a bit "eh" (what, exactly, does Stranger Things kid do in these films?). That said, I did enjoy it more than the previous one, which had a third act that undid any of the slow burn intrigue of the first two acts.

It was very much like a TV episode got adapted to a full length run time with all the filler added and such.

I just wish they'd adapted "Future Tense" instead or something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That is how I felt. A few spots dragged. I didn't need podcast to show back up, but Dan Ackroyd as Ray fit very nicely into a grandfatherish role. Janine and Peter weren't needed.

It does feel like a "The Real Ghostbusters" episode which helps and hurts it.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Shageletic posted:

I dont know how relevant this is but Central Park is super safe and people do help each other out if they're in trouble.

I think the allusion was to Central Park in the '70s and '80s which, from what I heard, was not super pleasant. I wouldn't really go to any big city park late at night in principle, though not because of aliens.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah the "you will inevitably be horribly murdered in the inner city" reveals the burger brain of the author"

Even if you accept the premise of the thought experiment, the differences that he himself concludes with undermine the whole analogy. If the night never ends and you can never get out of the park, the most easily terrified person will still eventually agree that trying to find some other people, even if they might be dangerous, is preferable to living as a hermit under a bush forever.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Yeah the "you will inevitably be horribly murdered in the inner city" reveals the burger brain of the author"

Even if you accept the premise of the thought experiment, the differences that he himself concludes with undermine the whole analogy. If the night never ends and you can never get out of the park, the most easily terrified person will still eventually agree that trying to find some other people, even if they might be dangerous, is preferable to living as a hermit under a bush forever.

We need to team up with someone else to stop the Battle: Los Angeles aliens from stealing our water, the most precious and rare material in the universe.

EDIT: Actually, just remembered that the last chapter to The Killing Star basically addresses the "you better wipe out the other side thoroughly, else you just hosed yourself" point as you need a total extermination AND to hope no one else saw you launching RKVs at a system for it to pay off.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Mar 27, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

i think the issue with this is it's the product of a dark mind assuming everyone is as hosed up as he is and that the things he's thinking of darkly are ontological

also i do kinda have inhibitions against killing a chicken. Not to the point where i couldn't do it but it's there. I would rather not murder a chicken. I think this guy just hates animals and extrapolated from there lol.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think the issue with this is it's the product of a dark mind assuming everyone is as hosed up as he is and that the things he's thinking of darkly are ontological

also i do kinda have inhibitions against killing a chicken. Not to the point where i couldn't do it but it's there. I would rather not murder a chicken. I think this guy just hates animals and extrapolated from there lol.

I had a book on Fermi paradox explanations which was probably 100 or so possibilities long, yet I can't help finding the Grimm fairy tale take to be more compelling for the fiction that comes with it (something about "oh, they're too far away" or "they're amoebas, no phone home" just sucks more than "we're all alone"). So yeah, given the weight given to the plausibility of such scenarios depends on personal outlooks, it would seem it can vary quite wildly in interpretation.

As for animals, I think in this instance it's usually an ant nest or something similar. We probably would care about killing a chicken, yes. I don't think many people give two shits about ants, and especially if said ants are where you want to build your new lawn decking or whatever.

Reminder that conquering the Americas and the race for Africa were with members of our own species and, yikes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've read some Jung and viewing Dream Scenario that lens is kinda fascinating.

E: Like his whole thing was about unconscious desires versus your conscious actions and factors (Ego), and basically Paul is such a disaster of a human being and expresses so little of his unspoken desires that its shadow (the parts he keeps hidden) leaks out into the collective unconscious and fucks everything up.

E2: and the goal is to reconcile the two into a self realized Self, expressing those desires and I guess he kinda got there at the end?

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

drat horror queefs posted:

Oh hell yeah back to Snyder discourse see you in a week everybody, hugs and kisses

It doesn't usually last more than a day or two ime but better safe than sorry, namaste

Nix Panicus posted:

Someday Snyder is going to do a straight version of Starship Troopers and its going to be his magnum opus

Already did friend, tho I dunno if it's his best

loquacius posted:

Still love the "300 was obviously satire because there's a scene where some guys in the background are fighting a training dummy -- a man made of straw. how clear does he have to make it???" take

Foreground, it's the focus of a whole fight sequence

Plus don't forget which character is narrating!

netizen posted:

Well according to his podcast he has plenty of sex so I'm sure he'll be fine. It's so funny to me he quit cumtown and ultimately ended up podcast that's basically cumtown, but just him.

I enjoy both but cumtown is nothing like Stavy's World, c'mon

For starters, cumtown was very funny

:hai:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

We need to team up with someone else to stop the Battle: Los Angeles aliens from stealing our water, the most precious and rare material in the universe.

That's just in-universe media speculation, there's no reason to assume it's true

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Blood Boils posted:

That's just in-universe media speculation, there's no reason to assume it's true

That's a point, been a while since I saw it and yeah, typically alien civs don't give a PowerPoint on why they decided to conquer. Though the ID4 guys just want to be good consumers, and Wells' Martians wanted to do a little imperialism on the Brits for a treat.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

lmao

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

color out of space has the worst cage performance ever. hes been in a lot of worse movies but this was the first one where he was just doing half-hearted impression of himself.

It would have been a good performance in a bad movie but the movie didn't suck so it was unnecessary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

color out of space has the worst cage performance ever. hes been in a lot of worse movies but this was the first one where he was just doing half-hearted impression of himself.

He slips into a trump impression for no reason randomly lol. Bizarre performance

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

In Training posted:

He slips into a trump impression for no reason randomly lol. Bizarre performance

admittedly, I do this constantly as well

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Blood Boils posted:

durrrr

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DaysBefore posted:

Wasn't comparing anything.

yes, you were

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

But the rules do not apply to other species. Both humans and wolves lack inhibitions against killing chickens.

lol god this poo poo is so stupid

dark forest stories are always myopic and uninteresting cause the premise is so simple and childish. stories proposing interstellar civilizations that use wooden spaceships and do all their calculations via abacus offer more conceptually and philosophically interesting promise

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I love abaci

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's not that big a deal but watching the last season of curb and going through some of the old ones, it just strikes me not only how unique the show is but also how it's basically impossible for anything like it to happen again. things are just too fragmented and there's nothing like seinfeld as the backdrop to it all, not to mention the star power even of like salman Rushdie.

it's not necessarily bad just makes one feel old.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

*maybe* nicholas Cage could do such a thing, in his own way, I guess. he's old too

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dark forest is just projecting western civilization's inherent sociopathy on the rest of the universe, but how likely is it for a sociopath civilization to actually make it into interstellar space before killing their own planet through exploitation?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's just Warhammer 40k made boring

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Snyder adapted 300 like he did Watchmen, a near panel to panel reenactment where they don’t need a script because they just recite the speech bubbles. 300 the comic is a racist, homophobic, fascist screed written by a real life right wing maniac who hates Muslims so much that when DC fired him because he was making a comic where Batman brutalizes Muslims, he went ahead and made the comic anyway with Great Value Batman. 300 is 100% sincere. Whether Snyder was too dumb to understand the implications of the story or not, or believed it was his job to adapt it straight regardless of personal feelings, or whatever I don’t know.

The whole “How did the narrator know about the parts he wasn’t there for? It must be a clue!” Is just another example of media illiteracy. Where people can no longer understand either the age old story telling device of the in-universe narrator segueing into omniscience so that the audience can see the fun stuff, or conversely that sometimes bad writing/plot holes are just that, and not some secret message about what a movie “really” means.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mawarannahr posted:

*maybe* nicholas Cage could do such a thing, in his own way, I guess. he's old too

Truly one of the greatest living actors. I watched Joe recently and thought it was amazing, and that's aside from the most beautiful dog I've ever seen.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

indigi posted:

dark forest stories are always myopic and uninteresting cause the premise is so simple and childish. stories proposing interstellar civilizations that use wooden spaceships and do all their calculations via abacus offer more conceptually and philosophically interesting promise

You may have read it, but there's a short story called "The road not taken" that's like this, where the the other civilizations have faster than light travel but still fight with swords and flintlocks, it's pretty good.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

galagazombie posted:

Snyder adapted 300 like he did Watchmen, a near panel to panel reenactment where they don’t need a script because they just recite the speech bubbles. 300 the comic is a racist, homophobic, fascist screed written by a real life right wing maniac who hates Muslims so much that when DC fired him because he was making a comic where Batman brutalizes Muslims, he went ahead and made the comic anyway with Great Value Batman. 300 is 100% sincere. Whether Snyder was too dumb to understand the implications of the story or not, or believed it was his job to adapt it straight regardless of personal feelings, or whatever I don’t know.

The whole “How did the narrator know about the parts he wasn’t there for? It must be a clue!” Is just another example of media illiteracy. Where people can no longer understand either the age old story telling device of the in-universe narrator segueing into omniscience so that the audience can see the fun stuff, or conversely that sometimes bad writing/plot holes are just that, and not some secret message about what a movie “really” means.

the 'plot hole' is the name for that pit with all the positively depicted dead babies in it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

josh04 posted:

the 'plot hole' is the name for that pit with all the positively depicted dead babies in it

You're, understandably, thinking like a person who doesn't consider a pit full of dead babies badass.

Now think like Frank Miller.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Yes, I heard Good Things about it but thought it was fairly flat. Even Cage seemed a bit lifeless.

Regarding Three Body Problem, it was always going to be a tough adaptation. It's a classic science fiction story - lots of thinly drawn characters info dumping constantly to illustrate Big Ideas. So it would have to change for TV. On the other hand, why even make it?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My conspiracy theory is that they made Three Body Problem bad, on purpose, to sow sinophobia.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUou0rghddc

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

Got bad news if you think it’s only modern Western civs that enacted wars of extermination and conquest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Scallop Eyes posted:

You may have read it, but there's a short story called "The road not taken" that's like this, where the the other civilizations have faster than light travel but still fight with swords and flintlocks, it's pretty good.

By Harry Turtledove oddly enough. I think his deal works best in short story form. I like how most of it is from the POV of the aliens, who are smart enough to figure out what's happened and the implications of it. And while vaguely described it presents a good reason for its premise.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wonder how long until someone starts making shows out of Harry Turtledove books. Looking forward to the discourse around the one where Afrikaner supremacists give Robert E. Lee an AK47

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is what the inside of every prepper shelter looked like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DaysBefore posted:

Wonder how long until someone starts making shows out of Harry Turtledove books. Looking forward to the discourse around the one where Afrikaner supremacists give Robert E. Lee an AK47

I legit want them to so I can actually see what those books were all about without wasting time reading them. I’m amazed SyFy never did them in the 2000s.