Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

auto repair shop
Mar 9, 2024

zedprime posted:

Please remove me from this email. I am busy trying not to work.

cruft posted:

unsubscibe
Click the little star at the bottom left, and get out of my thread.

E; bitch

E2: snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hi Seraph, did you diversify into (KEYWORD)? Please post your thoughts about (KEYWORD), Tia

auto repair shop
Mar 9, 2024

Nessus posted:

Hi Seraph, did you diversify into (KEYWORD)? Please post your thoughts about (KEYWORD), Tia
The only diversity i celebrate is that of my instagram models.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

auto repair shop posted:

We are discussing (KEYWORD), please try to keep up.

auto repair shop
Mar 9, 2024

Nessus posted:

please try to keep up.
my car is faster than yours i assure you.

auto repair shop
Mar 9, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_MyUGq7pgs

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
stop replying to bitcoinman

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boxturret posted:

cruft posted:

unsubscibe

auto repair shop
Mar 9, 2024

Boxturret posted:

You're not their real dad!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

:lmao: I just sat down for lunch and now I get another crypto weirdo manic episode. Happy to witness some comedy as I eat :D

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Boxturret posted:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EMoney posted:

well 1st, I'd expect the dollar to depreciate in value considerably. so 1million in 10 years will buy a lot less than 1 million today (that shouldn't be controversial).
2nd, gold has no real value and gold parity is @ 600k. So given that btc can be used us digital money for people around the world, twice the value of gold isn't a giant stretch. And yes, it would absorb value from real estate, stocks, art etc... Everything will bleed into BTC as it is a better store of value.
3rd, if you think "we can just invent BTC 2.0" and it'd be the same value, there is no hope in continuing to rationally discuss. At this point, if you don't see why that's not going to happen, then of course everything else is nonsense.
4th - global wealth is 500T, different than GDP

gold has inherent value, which is true of all commodity money. it is shiny and people like to make pretty things out of it. that's what has given it value throughout history. money tends to arise from commodities with certain properties, largely "these last and there is constant demand from someone for it such that you can be pretty sure you can flip it to someone else when you want some goods or services." now, there are still goldbugs who ascribe value to gold above that and go ALL WEALTH IS GOLD, but there's a funny thing about those people: they constantly lose money. because gold is a commodity.

but your response makes clear you don't really have any idea what you're talking about because you're already having your brain slip a gear and start screaming GO AWAY STOP MAKING ME FEEL BAD at your third point, but in a revealing way: you really, really don't understand what money is. or what value is. remember: all money is fake! owning a bitcoin does absolutely nothing for you, in the same way owning dollars does absolutely nothing for you, except the ability to exchange it for things of actual value.

bitcoiners have had to resort to the idea of a "store of value" because bitcoin is entirely useless at what it is supposedly for (a payment system); it is trying to rephrase "number go up" in a way that makes it seem less stupid. here is what a "store of value" actually does in an economic system: it allows me to generate value when i want to generate value rather than when I need goods and services. in other words: i can go to my job and work 9-5, and get paid. it avoids the transaction cost of finding someone who wants to trade now. the point is to lower transaction costs, so people produce more goods and services. i generate goods and services all day, then i take my pay and put it in a store of value. but my store of value is not "dollars", it's stocks: investments in (hopefully) profitable enterprises.

at the end of the day, that's the issue: your "bull" case is that magically bitcoin does something that makes no sense, and everyone gives you tons of real value for it, despite you creating absolutely no goods or services. which, you know, can happen but it's called 'conning suckers' and it only ends one way.

cruft posted:

You seem well-informed about this stuff, or at least well-spoken. Is there a branch of economic theory that takes the supply of land, iron, and sand into account? Economists I've spoken with in the past seem to universally assume these are infinite.

Related: is there a branch of economic theory that assigns a value to the land, iron, and sand staying where they are?

i mean even the simplest "economic theory for morons who can't do math" does, where it assumes that as you demand more of a product the price rises. no branch of economics assumes the supply of inputs is infinite.

but what i am discussing isn't really a branch of economic theory in that it's trying to say "and this is what we should do" - it's more descriptive of what an economy actually is: trading goods and services, which can sometimes get lost when people forget money is imaginary. when we trade goods and services, we incur transaction costs. the simplest version is if i have something I want to barter for something else, i have to spend a lot of time wandering around talking to people to find someone who wants what i have, and has what i want. if, instead, i can spend that time creating more goods or services, we have more goods and services compared to when i spent time wandering around talking to people - those are "transaction costs" and the point of money is to lower those transaction costs.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 26, 2024

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
Gold is valuable because it has an inflation rate that has held constant for 5000 years between 1% and 2%. This has held true regardless of technological advances in our ability to extract it from the earth. This is why it has held a monetary premium above its use for “pretty things” for millennia.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

auto repair shop posted:

See folks, this is why you shouldn’t post pictures of your children on social media.

cruft posted:

Is this cryptocurrency bullshit still happening? The thread's been kind of quiet, maybe that means there's a hot new way to destroy the planet :ohdear:

Very little is happening in the crypto space, other than the steady climb in price that is based on absolutely nothing but definitely not the result of price manipulation. Some people have moved on to other hype targets and scam vehicles like AI stuff, while those firmly entrenched in the space are busy trying to come up with a new carrot to lure new suckers into the ecosystem, the ETF thing came and went, the halvening is the next one. So right now the biggest source of bitcoin lols is going to be watching hyped up dates come and go with little fanfare.

Unless tether collapses.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ariong posted:

Unless tether collapses.

I feel like there's a whole effortpost lurking behind this sentence.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

gold just inherent inflates at a constant rate independent of humans

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Can't this Sephra guy obsess over something less degenerate, like Hazbin Hotel erotica?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

hi seraph

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
lol I bet this guy has never even heard of:

[Platinum membership required to see this image]

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mercury_Storm posted:

lol I bet this guy has never even heard of:

[Platinum membership required to see this image]

I feel sorry for all the Goons who haven't been around long enough to get invited into the upper posting tiers and/or haven't paid enough to the forums for similar access and so miss out on the top quality posts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EMoney posted:

Gold is valuable because it has an inflation rate that has held constant for 5000 years between 1% and 2%. This has held true regardless of technological advances in our ability to extract it from the earth. This is why it has held a monetary premium above its use for “pretty things” for millennia.

lol the Spanish empire had hyperinflation of gold

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The meltdown posts remind of a point I once saw made that social media broke a lot of billionaire's brains because it proved to them that no matter how much money they have, they can't buy people's love and respect, and hearing "you can't buy this" drove them completely loving insane.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my posts store intrinsic value, get in now while you can

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thank you dropping rocks on his head.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

evilweasel posted:

lol the Spanish empire had hyperinflation of gold
Never mind that over five thousand years most economies weren't cash based and the term "inflation" would have been meaningless entirely when a single bad harvest makes a Midas-level hoard worthless in the face of widespread famine. EMoney would be screaming about the stability of specie based currency as he starves to death in medieval Russia after a particularly hard winter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt there a buttcoin children's picture book where they teach a medieval civ how to turn a loom into a "computer" and then mine butts and somehow this makes the other medieval civs lose.

oh and then there's the fallout fanfics where coinerz say they'll use ham radio and solar power to mine butts and be the lord of the waste land and not another pile of bones.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mining butts on the 2-meter band

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's funny as hell to me when people look at crypto with constant rugpulls, bag holding, open scams, literal federal and international convictions, and after all that think "well yes, but there's *a chance* I could get rich" lmao

Like tbh if I meet someone who tells me they "invest" in crypto I kind of want to encourage them, while warning off everyone else. You can't change their minds, hell even their stonkers going to $0 doesn't do that, they just go "a clearly I picked the wrong horse, time to repeat elsewhere", so keeping people off crypto in the first place is a much better time and energy expenditure imo.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

It's funny as hell to me when people look at crypto with constant rugpulls, bag holding, open scams, literal federal and international convictions, and after all that think "well yes, but there's *a chance* I could get rich" lmao

Conservatively speaking, a 3 in 4 chance.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I’m the Monopoly Man and I say bitcolon is extremely stupid.

Lol, that was a mistype, but I’m keeping it.

Bitcolon

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Buying my bitcoin billionaire boyfriend a meal because his investments haven't eventuated yet, but it's okay, he sends me NFTs of IOUs. He swears he's good for it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Poor buttcoin guy must be broke, he can't even afford to rereg 1-3x a day like the other insane rereg guy :sad:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Boxturret posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

did anyone say                   yet?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
is there a way to short bitcoin that doesnt involve more bitcoin

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Vampire Panties posted:

Apparently bitcoin options are a thing that exists, you could sell some naked bitcoin calls

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
I'll just sell those calls and then not pay up if they get exercised. Nobody has crypto-thought of this before.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Pff posted:

I'll just sell those calls and then not pay up if they get exercised. Nobody has crypto-thought of this before.

You'd probably get away with that on a crypto exchange

Of course you probably wouldn't get the proceeds of your option sales either so...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

auto repair shop posted:

my car is faster than yours i assure you.

auto repair shop posted:

Is good to remind that, winners or losers, rich or poor, cryptobros are always disgusting assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

Shart selling