Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Play posted:

No idea who that is but I was talking about the middle post claiming that ferry stones costing ten k was absurdly overpriced.

That person is egregious because it’s obvious from her language she hasn’t played the game and is engaging in bad faith arguments she half-remembers. Framing it as “a single fast travel item costs half as much as a house!” gets way more traction than “both the house and fast travel items are dirt cheap, also they’re everywhere if you look around”. Context ruins the righteous indignation.

I also miss when I could at least pretend Sterling wasn’t just an outrage factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Since DMC4SE even.

vanilla dragon's dogma had like 800 dlcs for the dumbest poo poo including RC and ferrystones

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha Brant wants his jail key back. I think I will only offer him a fake key. Really, I wonder if there's any quest with an item to give I shouldn't counterfeit.

Actually, can you counterfeit healing items? Daphne wanted 5 potions I already had but I wonder if the game accounts for fakies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

After I get to the big desert city, will I be able to beeline to the Warfarer trainer right away?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

After I get to the big desert city, will I be able to beeline to the Warfarer trainer right away?

you've still got a long trek to get to him, unfortunately, but there's nothing preventing you from getting there

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Vermain posted:

you've still got a long trek to get to him, unfortunately, but there's nothing preventing you from getting there

seven million harpies and a billion miles of desert

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Saraiguma posted:

vanilla dragon's dogma had like 800 dlcs for the dumbest poo poo including RC and ferrystones

Yeah it really did, more than a decade ago. All the stuff you get for free in Dark Arisen was just the piecemeal DLC they had at launch.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Jack Trades posted:

I made this my after work adventure yesterday and it was a long (but fun) trek to get to the trainer. You'll probably also run into the Magick Archer trainer right before the Wayfarer one so two birds one stone

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
do note if you want Warfarer you will need several bottles of newt liqeur

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Play posted:

I'm confused about giving gifts. How do you do it? I want to give gifts to me darlings Wilhelmina and Ulrika. And maybe the elf guy, he seems to like me.

If you haven't figured it out yet you have to talk to someone normally then the option to give a gift will show in the context menu in the lower right (square on PS)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Warfarer may have an incredibly stupid name but it's pretty cool. The game is already too easy so I don't care that it lowers my stats slightly, and it lets me wear whatever I want.

Playing a bootleg Strider right now with 3 Thief skills (Cutting Wind, Implicate, and Powder Charge) + Rearmament to let me shoot things with basic bow attacks which is still pretty nice even without any abilities, and is definitely more fun than just taking another skill from Thief. I guess I could shove an archstaff in there too for magic damage/levitation/galvanize but I'd rather keep the weapon swapping simple and easy for now.

Grown attached to my pawn buddy over the course of this game. As much as I miss the inane chatter of 3 idiots all saying the same 5 lines forever, I like that pawns have more distinct personalities this time around. Urgan here may be a bigass shirtless orc with a deep, booming voice, but he's a real chill and considerate dude. Orc and gobbo team gets a thumbs up from me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game still has plenty of "3 idiots saying the same lines for ever".
They won't stop informing me about materials being able to be crafted into different things every 30 seconds.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have absolutely noticed pawns learning from you doing different stuff.
For example, my pawn didn't start throwing goblins around until I did it a few times as a demonstration and now she's happy to throw gobbos around.

That makes me think that it might be a good idea to start as the same class as your pawn on a new playthrough, so that the pawn learns from you, and then pivot to whatever you wanted to play as.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the fanciest buyable gear in Battahl? I'm about to go there for the main scenario now, and I have a decent amount of money saved up (~120k).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I have absolutely noticed pawns learning from you doing different stuff.
For example, my pawn didn't start throwing goblins around until I did it a few times as a demonstration and now she's happy to throw gobbos around.

That makes me think that it might be a good idea to start as the same class as your pawn on a new playthrough, so that the pawn learns from you, and then pivot to whatever you wanted to play as.

Me and my pawn are all over the place because I want the specific augments. I got archer to 10 for the climbing skill and it's making a huge difference on relevant encounters. I'm levelling thief now and when I have the climbing skill from there as well I can use those and the damage to vitals augment and just be ultra critting large enemies all the time.

It does take some work/grinding though so I'm going to install that difficulty mod and crank it up because everything is trivially easy right now.

What's everyone's take on the debilitations? I want to try out the Spite daggers for poison, but does it debuff an enemy besides the damage tick? What are the most useful ones? So far I've noticed ogres and gryphons are critically vulnerable to fire, especially if you tar them first.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Someone gifted my pawn a dagger that was double the strength of anything I had found so far. I guess she's going to be a lot more useful to people now!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everdraed posted:

I can't seem to find a source for 'em dropping after looking quite a bit, random guides say it should be from wargs in Battahl but they seem to spawn as garms for me and only give sinister fangs, dunno if that's a level'd thing or wrong info and there's a better place to get 'em

I'm also having this problem, I go to where there is supposed to be a Warg, but I find a lovely-rear end Garm instead.

If anyone is encountering Wargs in their game, could you please tell us where they are and what level you are/how far along you are in the main quest?

Thumbtacks posted:

I kinda think Steam is the real problem here, if it didn't list ALL the microtransactions on the store page and make it look like there's a ton of mtx, I genuinely do not think people would have even known the game had it.

DD2 will have the opposite trajectory of Starfield, I think, with the people who play it for long enough realizing how cool it is. It already went from 40% on Steam at launch to 54%. I'm planning to leave a (positive) review once I'm done with the main story, but that'll probably be a few dozen hours of game time from now.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 27, 2024

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
So is the Deluxe edition worth it? I know most if not all of the items can be gotten in game, so I'm not very interested in those. The main thing I'm interested in is the OG DD:DA music. Are you able to swap all the songs in the game for those titles or does it just change the music in the main menu for instance? It's :10bux: more than the regular edition (I plan on buying the digital version *gasp!*) but I really liked the original game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Is the fanciest buyable gear in Battahl? I'm about to go there for the main scenario now, and I have a decent amount of money saved up (~120k).

Best gear is in Volcanic Island Armory or Brokkr's Smithy, I'm pretty sure. You can unlock both without progressing the main story by taking the southern route through the cave. For the latter, make sure you picked up the Dulled Steel, Cold Forge quest back in Vernworth.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

Best gear is in Volcanic Island Armory or Brokkr's Smithy, I'm pretty sure. You can unlock both without progressing the main story by taking the southern route through the cave. For the latter, make sure you picked up the Dulled Steel, Cold Forge quest back in Vernworth.

It's not THE best, but it's the best you can get in normal shops.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, and I forgot to mention the selection still seems to be limited somewhat according to your level (presumably? maybe it's progress in the main quest instead), which is probably good for that sense of progression. I found a really good bow by trekking to the former shop mentioned, but it's not the best bow that that shop potentially has available.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Bussamove posted:

That person is egregious because it’s obvious from her language she hasn’t played the game and is engaging in bad faith arguments she half-remembers. Framing it as “a single fast travel item costs half as much as a house!” gets way more traction than “both the house and fast travel items are dirt cheap, also they’re everywhere if you look around”. Context ruins the righteous indignation.

I also miss when I could at least pretend Sterling wasn’t just an outrage factory.

The last time I saw a professional wrestler post a take that boneheaded, Adam Page replied with a chairshot compilation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sioux posted:

So is the Deluxe edition worth it? I know most if not all of the items can be gotten in game, so I'm not very interested in those. The main thing I'm interested in is the OG DD:DA music. Are you able to swap all the songs in the game for those titles or does it just change the music in the main menu for instance? It's :10bux: more than the regular edition (I plan on buying the digital version *gasp!*) but I really liked the original game.

It's 100% not worth it.

The music and soundtrack DLC doesn't even include Into Free and even if you want it, you're better off buying standard edition and then pay 3 bux on top of that.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Custom Difficulty feels so much better at higher levels even at its default settings
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/195

also gibbed made a show all seeker tokens mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/194

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nuebot posted:

Personally speaking, I think it's just a transparent bid to join the culture war that grew up around this game for weird and seemingly arbitrary reasons. Basically every modern capcom game since DMC5 at least has had pretty much this exact style of "you can buy a pitiful amount of in-game items that you'll be able to earn within an hour of play" microtransactions. RE2 and 4 Remakes sell "deluxe weapons" and basically every RE game has costumes or "unlock everything" DLC too. But there wasn't a massive internet shitstorm over those. RE4 has roughly $100 in DLC if you don't count Separate Ways.

But for some reason the internet has chosen this game, specifically, to flip out over. And it's kind of just an ongoing meltdown that began with people losing their minds over the character creator demo being "woke" because the exact same people who were going insane over that immediately pivoted to saying the game was broken, literally unplayable, and paywalled fast travel and character customization and all that other poo poo within hours of the early release and streams.

The funniest part about it imo is that DD1 was much worse! 12 years ago!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just like in DD1, it seems NG+ doesn't add much in this.
I'd rather just start all over again, but they had to make that annoying.

Edit: Game really needs an endgame dungeon like BBI to grind your teeth on. Even the everfall was more fun endgame content than what's in this, as impressive as it looks

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 27, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Woke agenda confirmed.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Completed it last night; a few thoughts

NG+ is not very special, honestly, i'd just remake if i wanted to do a full playthrough again, needs some kind of scaling 100%. I think this is something they could possibly fix, but DD1 didn't do any NG+ stuff other than what happened in BBI after you cleared it once which doesnt really count since it was BBI, plus BBI itself being a DLC but having come into DD1 with dark arisen it was just always there.

Spoilering this one for near ending stuff; i feel like the ruined world was a missed opportunity to ramp difficulty a bit and give you some extra reason to explore more, instead i think most of it was pretty easy? the special dragons were not remotely threatening, and the light beam stuff was cool idea but underwhelming since the challenges they offered were very minimal, it felt like the only thing that changed with the ruined world is undead could spawn anytime and dullahans show up waaaaay too much. Also the beam near moonlight tower was just confusing since it autoresolved b/c your pawn possesses talos to beat the poo poo out of the worm thing. The Dragon fight was somewhat fun but it was also rather easy. The best weapons being things you could simply purchase with dragonshards annoyed me a little bit

I enjoyed the majority of my time running around trying to figure out quest stuff, i rarely used pawn guides. I'm relatively certain i missed quests since most of them rely on context cues from ambient happenings like some guy asking himself if he should do something or whatevs, i found that pretty nice! i think it reduced my tendency to try to 100% stuff including things i don't enjoy. im sure ill find more stuff i didnt do next time. For example i missed whatever got the dwarf forge thing (minor spoiler - you get access to this after you get battahl to move to the shrine in the ruin world anyway so even if you dont get it before then, you will have access anyway. there was one pure rage inducing moment, and it was because a warrior pawn enemy knocked me down and i could not get up since it kept hitting me, pure rage right there.

Money felt fairly tight but i also regularly vocation switched so i had to spend more on gear, YMMV. i would probably have a lot more if i sold things more often, as it is i only usually sold outdated weapons. I did not have an issue with fast travel options, i had a ferrystone on hand whenever i really needed it and the ox carts were enough for me

I didn't get most of the maister skills which is whatever, i think only a couple of them are particularly good anyway (the only ones i really wanted were the sorc ones)

Overall i really loved playing it - i will definitely play it again and buy any expansion DLC. hell, i will probably dabble in NG+ a bit and just limit myself to using like lower level gear or something. It's also just flat out fun enough to want to delete and restart

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 27, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

(Ending stuff, spoilers etc.)
Was there really anything more to the "unmoored world" than 2 bosses and some fetch/talking quests? There was not really any reason to travel around after everything goes red, other than helping people evacuate by doing some fetch quests.
Even beating the bosses was just for stalling the fog a bit, I think?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Was there really anything more to the "unmoored world" than 2 bosses and some fetch/talking quests? There was not really any reason to travel around after everything goes red, other than helping people evacuate by doing some fetch quests.

It definitely felt like it was a bigger planned feature that didn't get time in the oven.

I think the volcanic isle is in the same category. It's a very long, very empty corridor with not much in it and no way to set up an easy connecting fast travel option to the starting area which feels like a missed opportunity.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

that's why it was a missed opportunity, a lot of possibilities behind a world going to poo poo! the fact that the game *shits* ferrystones on you too felt really strange, along with the fact that you uncover more portal stones for some reason. to tap into an example Dragonquest 11 has the world go to poo poo and monsters get much tougher versions along with new content

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 27, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fpll4doampgr
My Charles Barkley w/lovely og mustache sounds like Dudley Do-Right

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I finished the regalia sword quest last night before doing the coronation because I thought it would strengthen my claim to the throne or whatever. But after talking to the quest giver I’m pretty sure he’s just going to pawn it lol. Traveled to the other side of the map and back to get owned.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

I finished the regalia sword quest last night before doing the coronation because I thought it would strengthen my claim to the throne or whatever. But after talking to the quest giver I’m pretty sure he’s just going to pawn it lol. Traveled to the other side of the map and back to get owned.

That's actually a pretty crucial quest because it gives you access to the Dwarven smithing style, in Bakbattahl at least. So congrats.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

Pretty wild that there seems to be only 2 town portcrystals. That's how many the original game had but the map was also like, a sixth of the size of this one.

I'm pretty sure the original game had only one. They added Cassardis in Dark Arisen.

We've got twice as much!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I haven't closed out the regalia quest but if nothing else it makes for some great exploration and introduces a strong waifu contender

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mystic Spearhand is...very boring...
You have all these flashy abilities but they don't really synergize and you're very much rewarded for spamming only one ability in any given situation. Most of them barely even cost any stamina.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Mystic Spearhand is...very boring...
You have all these flashy abilities but they don't really synergize and you're very much rewarded for spamming only one ability in any given situation. Most of them barely even cost any stamina.

I found the charge ability combos into the plunge stab pretty well since you can aim for the head with a charge and then down stab after connecting, often this gets you on top of large targets. The magic darts ability is fairly lackluster but uhh, there's no animation and you can spam it while doing anything as a result. im less keen on the rest of their abilities and i think the shielding skill is overpowered. they struggle to stagger targets outside of the R1 paralyze.

i still think there's something buggy about spearhand attacks though b/c of the whole 'sometimes it just doesnt do anything', like a 0 damage stagger execute

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 27, 2024

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Only thing I’m still wrapping my head around is inventory. I’m scooping up everything I see without knowing how useful it may be then I get overburdened so I pass things to my pawn then she gets overburdened and I don’t want to sell poo poo because hey I may need it later. There’s a lot of crafting to figure out too.

I’m just a little guy I can’t be carrying all this heavy stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sioux posted:

As someone who bought that version: do not buy that version

The only non-gameplay-affecting unique thing in there and all I cared about is the music set, except you can now just buy that separately for less